The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why does older analog synths sounds better than newer? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Do you know what Axe Fx is? Doesn't seem like it. Google it. That thing is pretty hard to tell apart from a real amp.....
Perhaps, but I've been through a lot of these over the years - some good, some great, some not so. The truth is, i don't have a need for recreating hundreds of "classic" guitar tones, most of the work I do as a sound designer/composer encourages me to create original sounds - and I've got plenty of tools for the job.
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Perhaps, but I've been through a lot of these over the years - some good, some great, some not so. The truth is, i don't have a need for recreating hundreds of "classic" guitar tones, most of the work I do as a sound designer/composer encourages me to create original sounds - and I've got plenty of tools for the job.
I reckon Axe Fx is a LOT better at 'doing an amp' than softsynths are at 'doing an analog synth'....you should try it. It might make you sell all your amps.
Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
I reckon Axe Fx is a LOT better at 'doing an amp' than softsynths are at 'doing an analog synth'....you should try it. It might make you sell all your amps.
It's way easier to emulate a simple amp than an analog synth that is like half a dozen amps,filters,envelopes and has to sing on real time modulations. That's more like emulating the guitar. The equivalent of what he is doing to us is telling him that the guitar hero plastic guitars make his fender obsolete.
Old 3rd August 2014
Quote:
Not "exactly", but similarly - I thought that was pretty clear, that's why I posted it, it was an olive branch of sorts - it wasn't supposed to be contentious, it was an attempt to say "I know how you feel" .... if I had to guess, I'd say you're a little bit, um, hypersensitive.
lol its not an olive branch to admit you are a bit of a hypocrite - considering how stubbornly you were going on and on in that other thread...then to put a little barb at the end of the comment right here - give me a break...I dont need a branch thanks...just a good laugh when it becomes clear you have a strong opinion about analogue synths - but all your criticisms about people who love them are equally valid for yourself in the arena of amps and amp sims...

just gives me a good chuckle...good old internet....
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
lol its not an olive branch to admit you are a bit of a hypocrite - considering how stubbornly you were going on and on in that other thread...then to put a little barb at the end of the comment right here - give me a break...I dont need a branch thanks...just a good laugh when it becomes clear you have a strong opinion about analogue synths - but all your criticisms about people who love them are equally valid for yourself in the arena of amps and amp sims...

just gives me a good chuckle...good old internet....
Whatever, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time accepting your own A/B test results ... it isn't the end of the world, ya know...
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it were available as software for 179 bucks, I'd likely consider it, but I don't want or need yet another bulky hardware box.

As for which is "better" at simulating which, we'll just have to disagree (as this thread has already proven).

At any rate, I moved away from basic analog synthesis after the first wave of really great digital synths came along and offered a whole new range of much more complex aural potential - the Kurzweil K series saw to that
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

perhaps someone can sum up what we've learnt from this?
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
Whatever, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time accepting your own A/B test results ... it isn't the end of the world, ya know...
yes the results of this definitive test I made using 3 sounds has shaken me to the core
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
If it were available as software for 179 bucks, I'd likely consider it, but I don't want or need yet another bulky hardware box.

As for which is "better" at simulating which, we'll just have to disagree (as this thread has already proven).

At any rate, I moved away from basic analog synthesis after the first wave of really great digital synths came along and offered a whole new range of much more complex aural potential - the Kurzweil K series saw to that
So you like cheap and practical. Obviously that would sway you away from analog synths......and you like to judge what you haven't heard, as you only just learned of Axe FX and hence never have tried it. It is very convincing. And you appreciate tonal gimmickry more than basic tone, which obviously pulls you towards digital, as there are far more options for that.

So why the surprise that you of all people are not the biggest fan of analog synths? They are just not your scene. Never were. Their pluses don't hold any value to you. That's great, no issue with that. But to come and then preach to everyone else about their value is a bit strange from your position. Don't you think? And you really should try Axe FX before dismissing it. It is pretty bloody great actually, and I hate amp sims and love proper old amps.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm not "preaching" anything, I'm expressing my opinion here like everyone else, I'm also trying to save weekend amateurs like you from wasting tremendous amounts of money on old and mostly useless gear ... but it's a lost cause. You and a couple others seem to have a problem arguing your side of an issue without it getting personal - frustration makes you small, rude, and snarky, which reveals a simple truth, that you've run out of intellectual gas.

Quote:
And you appreciate tonal gimmickry more than basic tone, which obviously pulls you towards digital, as there are far more options for that.
Yet that's what you're recommending, a digital guitar processor over the real thing, precisely because of economics and practicality. Too funny ....
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm also trying to save weekend amateurs like you from wasting tremendous amounts of money on old and mostly useless gear ... but it's a lost cause. You and a couple others seem to have a problem arguing your side of an issue without it getting personal - frustration makes you small, rude, and snarky, which reveals a simple truth, that you've run out of intellectual gas.
Referring to other forum members as 'weekend amateurs' seems to be getting personal, small, rude, and snarky...seems that you've run out of intellectual gas yourself.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Referring to other forum members as 'weekend amateurs' seems to be getting personal, small, rude, and snarky...seems that you've run out of intellectual gas yourself.
You're right, some of them might be 7-day-a-week amateurs, wouldn't want to offend by leaving them out ...
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
yes the results of this definitive test I made using 3 sounds has shaken me to the core
Well, that and confirmation bias ...
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

*do
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm not "preaching" anything, I'm expressing my opinion here like everyone else, I'm also trying to save weekend amateurs like you from wasting tremendous amounts of money on old and mostly useless gear ... but it's a lost cause. You and a couple others seem to have a problem arguing your side of an issue without it getting personal - frustration makes you small, rude, and snarky, which reveals a simple truth, that you've run out of intellectual gas.

Yet that's what you're recommending, a digital guitar processor over the real thing, precisely because of economics and practicality. Too funny ....

I have been rude now? Ok. I totally disagree, but hey.

And as far as weekend amateurs goes, they usually offer their opinions on gear they haven't tried, like you offering yours about the Axe FX, that you didn't even know exists 5 minutes ago. Which is why I recommended you listen to it. Not for reasons you are now making up as you go. Just, if you want to air an opinion about it, do use it first. Sometimes I wish this forum worked like that other somewhat more pro place where you are not actually allowed to spout an opinion if you haven't tried the relevant piece of gear. That would be neat. Would clear up a load of nonsense.

Also, your viewpoint on what is 'old and mostly useless gear' is not of interest to me. You seem to think that your definition of this holds any value for others and that you need to take them under your wing or something. So you can tell them what's good for them. Let me give you a small tip: If you REALLY want to help people, and not just look like a cleverclogs, you are better off leaving room in your reality for those people to have different values to you, like their own, which surprise surprise might differ from yours, as opposed to imposing yours on them and then calling it 'help them'.

I think I'll leave it there, this is just too daft now. But get it right when you accuse someone of being rude my friend. I was merely pulling you up on your schtick, as I am with this post. No more, no less.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
where you are not actually allowed to spout an opinion if you haven't tried the relevant piece of gear. That would be neat. Would clear up a load of nonsense.
This is why I ended up on this forum.. thought it was the unspoken code.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear
You know, I was just thinking Karloff seems like one of the coolest dudes on this forum. I always value his posts, and honestly can't imagine anyone interpreting anything he's said as "rude."

Carry on.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
here's a tip for you; if you don't "value" my opinion, ignore it, why should you have to listen to people you disagree with? Imagine that, people telling you things you don't want t hear ... how awful. heh
If you don't value the opinion of the weekend/7-day amateurs, why don't YOU ignore it?

Quote:
I "drop on" people's arguments all day long, no problem - if your logic is faulty, I'm going to attack it, if you're practicing non-critical thinking and just parroting things you hear, I'm going to take you on - you can call it what you like, or take it personally, I don't care, but I'm not going to let some of the BS that passes for knowledge around here go unchallenged - if it's too hot in the kitchen, stay out.
Oh right, everyone has to ignore your opinion, if they don't like it...why don't you ignore opinions that you don't like, rather than taking on the role of forum logic/critical thinking police?
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You could plug your Axe FX straight into the desk........and it would sound better than many amps.....
But not the best ones.

With a good vintage Fender, throw in a Ted Weber speaker and RCA blackplates... amazing. A 70's synth through one of those sounds as opposite to the modern softsynth kinda sound as it gets.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know if they sound better - they definitely smell better tho.
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
This is why I ended up on this forum.. thought it was the unspoken code.
I dunno, it seems like there are ALWAYS people on these forums - this one is no exception - spouting off opinions about gear that they've never even tried in person.

Years ago, I joined an offline meeting group for screenwriters. You could only join the group if you'd actually completed at least one screenplay. It wasn't enough to want to write a screenplay, or have thought about writing a screenplay. It wasn't enough to have written the first 15 pages of a screenplay, or even 7/8 of a screenplay. And it wasn't enough to have that sucker scrawled out on notebook paper, either... You needed a finished script, typed, printed, in proper format. THEN you were welcome to join the conversation, discuss different scripts, read each other's scripts, etc.

Hadn't thought of that in a while.

Anyhow, just sayin'.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
If you don't value the opinion of the weekend/7-day amateurs, why don't YOU ignore it?

Oh right, everyone has to ignore your opinion, if they don't like it...why don't you ignore opinions that you don't like, rather than taking on the role of forum logic/critical thinking police?
I think you missed the point ...

At any rate, this whole thread derailment started when Swan attempted to troll me out wrt guitar amps - it was less about real issues and opinions more about trying to settle a score - then he got all caught up in his own confirmation bias ...

Sometimes I think you guys really just hate my car ...
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Sometimes I think you guys really just hate my car ...
My girlfriend does..

So.. anyone ever seen the old 60's movie 'The Swimmer' ??
Or .. read the comic book 'Wilson' by Daniel Clowes ??
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
My girlfriend does..

So.. anyone ever seen the old 60's movie 'The Swimmer' ??
Or .. read the comic book 'Wilson' by Daniel Clowes ??
"The Swimmer" with Burt Lancaster? From the John Cheever short story? That was filmed here locally.
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Guru
Yeah... that's what made me think of it.

Great flick..
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah... that's what made me think of it.

Great flick..
One of my favorite movies ... quite surreal. The short story's good too.
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Guru
Yeah.. it's like all of Mad Men wrapped up in one little story that tells it all.
I love movies that force you to watch it twice... just came out on Blue Ray btw!

Jus tryin to change the subject... and agree again.

(btw- I don't hate your car.. but I found it funny that you were self aware and pointed it out.,. and I remembered my gf looking over my shoulder and mentioning "who the hell is that" .. .so yeah I think it gets you "undue attention")
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah.. it's like all of Mad Men wrapped up in one little story that tells it all.
I love movies that force you to watch it twice... just came out on Blue Ray btw!

Jus tryin to change the subject... and agree again.

(btw- I don't hate your car.. but I found it funny that you were self aware and pointed it out.,. and I remembered my gf looking over my shoulder and mentioning "who the hell is that" .. .so yeah I think it gets you "undue attention")
Yeah it's good to agree

You have good taste in movies

That era, the late 60's, has some great stuff - that poor guy played by Lancaster never does find his way out of the hole he's in - spanning seasons and neighborhoods - he winds up in a pretty bad place ... we're not quite sure where, though - such a dark film. Underrated, I think.

I don't own that particular BMW any longer, it's an 05 Z4, I think they can be had fairly cheap these days - I left it up in my avatar because I'm too lazy to take it down - it really pisses off audio consult ... though

Do you like film noir? Sounds like you would.
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
That era, the late 60's, has some great stuff - that poor guy played by Lancaster never does find his way out of the hole he's in - spanning seasons and neighborhoods - he winds up in a pretty bad place ... we're not quite sure where, though - such a dark film. Underrated, I think.
very underrated.. I heard Burt loved making that movie.

Quote:
Yeah it's good to agree

You have good taste in movies
Do you like film noir? Sounds like you would.
Yes it is good to agree
I love all kinds of movies.. my dad had a roledex to find the movies that my mother(librarian) made a system for .. to find movies in our collection much easier. He owned nearly every C.E.D. made (because it was pennies for a crate of movies). First movie I watched on heavy rotation around 5 was Allegro Non Troppo by Bruno Bozzetto. That cat left a real impact on me.
Old 5th August 2014
Quote:

(btw- I don't hate your car..
BTW, Sharp11, what kind of car is that? Z4?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search