The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KRK rokits vs YAMAHA HS Studio Monitors
Old 26th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrone View Post
Go back 10 years the RP5 were pretty much the best in the budget 5 inch woofer range.. now adays obviously Yamaha are ruling the roost and the KRKs are getting the abuse that Behringer Truths got back then(and still do) .. I think the remaining popularity is due to them looking cool.. nice yellow woofers n all.. Back then I was originally looking at the original KRK Rokits or K Roks but then they came out with the new line so got them... recently upgraded to Equator D5's and indeed the KRK are pretty hyped but one thing is I've kept them as they are much more enjoyable to listen to music on than the Equators and work as a second reference ofcourse.

So yeah, I'd go for the Yamahas now adays!
I originally purchased a pair of KRK V6s over ten years ago. The Rockit 5s had just come out, and I had listened to both, and went with the more expensive route. I upgraded to the VXT 8s last year, and I've kept my V6s for my DJ practice area, and I take them with me as PAs for smaller gigs. They are awesome, and have lasted a very long time.

I suppose since the rockits were so inexpensive, they had a following.
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Maniac

I have been using KRK Rokit 5's for years! I love them! It really doesn't matter what monitors you decide to use as long as you get used to the way they sound and learn how they translate!
Old 26th July 2014
I was looking at the Yams but I think I will go with Tannoy Reveal 502s. Forward facing port is really handy in my small room. Plus they sound good.
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy909 View Post
I have been using KRK Rokit 5's for years! I love them! It really doesn't matter what monitors you decide to use as long as you get used to the way they sound and learn how they translate!
What else have you owned?
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Maniac

I have also owned the old school auratones in my personal studio, but I have also worked with genelecs pretty extensively in the studio at the college I studied engineering at.
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

When you listen to Rokits side by side with other monitors it becomes pretty obvious how laughably coloured they are.

Whilst it's true that you can get used to a sound and learn to compensate, that doesn't strictly make them 'fine'. They are still **** compared to the other options available. It does in fact matter.
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Head

cheers for all the help!
I still think I will go with Yamaha's but I feel the HS8's would be to big in a smallish bedroom, I was thinking the HS7's as their in between the 5's and 8's and i dont want to get a sub
Any opinions?
Also these are my first proper monitors so i dont need the best on the market just good quality for the price
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
why are you choosing between these two monitors when the JBL LSR 305's kick both their asses..??
THIS!
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Head

noob question, if i was to buy yamaha hs's and use a xlr cable into rca's and then a adaptor into my laptop instead of a audio interface or would this just loose all quality?
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

The new hs series, hs8 or hs80 specifically, which we've is the newer one. There's A lot of differences between older and newer hs
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

The new hs series, hs8 or hs80 specifically, which we've is the newer one. There's A lot of differences between older and newer hs
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles14 View Post
noob question, if i was to buy yamaha hs's and use a xlr cable into rca's and then a adaptor into my laptop instead of a audio interface or would this just loose all quality?
you generally have a single mini jack out on a pc-laptop or do you have left n right line level outs on rca's...?
Old 28th July 2014
Love my Yam's HS50's. Nice and flat, anything I patch design or mix sounds pretty good on all speakers because of them. Before I used to be too bass heavy with my creations.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Addict

Most musicians are only making music for themselves, so translation is only a theoretical concern. If that's you, the Rokits are a low cost solution, and a bangin set of speakers for your house party. Otherwise, I would shy away.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
you generally have a single mini jack out on a pc-laptop or do you have left n right line level outs on rca's...?
If i was to use a adaptor such as this
Dabs Ireland - C2G 3.5mm Stereo Male to Dual RCA Female Audio Adapter (80471)
even as a temporary option as i cant afford a soundcard for a about a month but i need monitors asap
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
cheers for all the help!
I still think I will go with Yamaha's but I feel the HS8's would be to big in a smallish bedroom, I was thinking the HS7's as their in between the 5's and 8's and i dont want to get a sub
Any opinions?
Also these are my first proper monitors so i dont need the best on the market just good quality for the price
You can't go wrong with the HS7. I was going to go HS8 at first but thought they would be too much in my rooms. There's plenty of bass on the HS7.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
If i was to use a adaptor such as this
Dabs Ireland - C2G 3.5mm Stereo Male to Dual RCA Female Audio Adapter (80471)
even as a temporary option as i cant afford a soundcard for a about a month but i need monitors asap
blimey so you want to go, minijack to rca adapter, left n right rca cable to xlr adapters into monitors...??

that is going to be nasty imo, you'll encounter problems like crackling, square wave distortion etc..and likely blow a driver in the speakers before you start.

You need an audio interface before you buy speakers...sorry but it's the only way to go, be patient and do it properly..you can buy cheap audio interfaces for $50 on e-bay that will get you connected to your speakers better that that rca adapter carry on..
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Just posting to give another vote for Yamaha HS and I listen to both most days.
Old 9th August 2014
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
You can't go wrong with the HS7. I was going to go HS8 at first but thought they would be too much in my rooms. There's plenty of bass on the HS7.
I bought the Zen Pro Mod HS 8 a couple of weeks ago, and they are so much better than my more expensive Dynaudio BM5a which I find a bit boomy and fatiguing. I do not think the HS 8 have too much bass response...at least not the ones from Zen Pro. I bought the white ones. They look cool to boot.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search