The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue vs Digital - Diva and OB8 test Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Which synth is First in the 8 bar cycle?
Diva
92 Votes - 51.11%
OB8
88 Votes - 48.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Well Urs got it right.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
I am fortunate to own both Diva and OB8 and I had absolutely no idea. My vote would have been a 50/50 guess.

Initially I thought Diva as it starts more brightly but then I got confused and couldn't hear any differences as was too busy counting on my fingers.
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Well Urs got it right.
yup as did you - and Howard Scarr

Good of them to quietly participate - and that they got it right - with Urs having made Diva and HS having had a hand in it I think...I was wondering if I should let Urs know but I guess he found it...
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
So the order cycling through is:

Diva -> OB8
I guessed wrong and as a Diva owner, I am glad I guessed wrong. Someone else mentioned, to me the first one had a bit snappier envelopes.

glad to be wrong :-)
rsp
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Also part of the cop out laptop speakers brigade, but I think the second four bars has more movement, so would guess at that being Diva, as it simply overdoes all of that stuff.
Detuning the oscillators, PWM and closing the filters does a lot to hide all of that with Diva, use more "raw" sounds and its all over the place.

No experience with the OB8.
Old 22nd July 2014
Here for the gear

I'm too late to the party to enter my guess which would have been OB8 as the first one (which now appears to be wrong).

This test and the voting results are another great compliment for DIVA. I'm glad I've got her on my DAW.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Head

That's it I'm selling everything.
Old 22nd July 2014
I just tried myself and got it wrong.

Sheet I can hardly even hear where they A/B. All I will say is I was digging the riffs. Love the go team type cheerleading too. I say make it a full track.

Love stuff like this, wish I had been here at the start so I could put my money where my mouth is (and have lost), not that I am some analog snob or anything.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

I've never been much of an OB8 fan, so if Diva sounds THAT similar to it I think I'll bloody well sell my copy of Diva then.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post

Lots of image hosts (and GS's own attachment service) really do not like images with extreme aspect ratios. Better to have something 1:2 than 1:20.
LOL, "Urs" voted correctly

Edit: Guess I was not the first one to find out
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
I've never been much of an OB8 fan, so if Diva sounds THAT similar to it I think I'll bloody well sell my copy of Diva then.
Aren't you in luck! https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10276898-post729.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
LOL, "Urs" voted correctly

Edit: Guess I was not the first one to find out
Charlie Clouser's also in there!
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Honestly, I just listened and couldn't tell the difference where one began and the other ended. I was expecting the original poster to make the soft synth sound "more analog" with detuning, slop, etc, and make the hardware sound more simple to fool us. I'm not really surprised though. Both DIVA and ACE (as well as Monark and a couple others) are soft synths that are capable of sounding like the real deal when I'm playing them. If Urs decided to stick either DIVA or ACE into a hardware controller / synth with a bunch of SHARC processors, I'd buy it immediately.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
I'm seriously impressed with Diva here. I'd love to hear a Jupiter 8 - Diva test.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Listened in my studio, the difference is miniscule, actually if I did not know there was a switch somewhere in there, I wouldn't even notice the switch.

Props, Diva is the business!
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
I'm 99.9% sure the first is the real OB8. There is just a slight bit more punch, but assuming I'm correct Diva does a damn good job and once the drums and loops come in the difference is even less noticeable. Now, if I happen to be wrong, then I will have to admit I like the sound of software better
Wow, this is really enlightening. Tells me personally there is no need to spend $4k on an OB-8 (I had actually been watching a few over the last months). Thanks SWAN808 for doing this!
Old 22nd July 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Laptop speakers are missing a lot of information, specifically the bass. So in some instances it could make a test like this harder to gauge. No harm in pointing out what you're listening to the test on. In this case however I heard what I needed to within the first eight bars - on computer speakers.

All hail SWAN808 as the ultimate A/B'er. More please.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

one thing to remember is that it takes a 12 core server to play a 4 note chord on diva
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

The sample is a choon and a half by the way.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
one thing to remember is that it takes a 12 core server to play a 4 note chord on diva
I have an Late 2009 iMac 2.8 i7 quad-core and I can easily play full 8-note chords on DIVA at the highest "Divine" setting with hyper threading on. If you're on a dual-core laptop maybe u got problems.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have an Late 2009 iMac 2.8 i7 quad-core and I can easily play full 8-note chords on DIVA at the highest "Divine" setting with hyper threading on. If you're on a dual-core laptop maybe u got problems.
yea at what buffer? and how many tracks would u be able to pull off? would u be able to write filter sweep automation. no.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Well, with a real OB8, you'd still have to record one patch at a time.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
yea at what buffer? and how many tracks would u be able to pull off? would u be able to write filter sweep automation. no.
128ms. Sure, running multiple instances is another thing, but you make it sound like one can't do basic patch playing.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, this is really enlightening. Tells me personally there is no need to spend $4k on an OB-8 (I had actually been watching a few over the last months). Thanks SWAN808 for doing this!
Well, no need if you're going to only do detuned PWM sounds with a lot of filtering going on. Diva is great at that, as has been highlighted, but if you want to use the oscillators raw or anything close to those types of sounds, Diva is garbage.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

All this test shows is that next time someone makes a bold statement it'd serve them well to take a step back first and think before they post.

Quote:
There's no reason to not purchase an OB8. After all, you've now got a match for these particular sounds, but of course an OB does several more. On the other hand, if you find out yourself by making comparisons that the difference's not worth locking up several grand in a piece of vintage gear, you know you can let it go for (usually) what you paid for it. I mean, I've done Mini vs Diva tests myself - I'm not selling anything but it's good to know that there's a convenient substitute if I need it.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
All this test shows is that next time someone makes a bold statement it'd serve them well to take a step back first and think before they post.

There's no reason to not purchase an OB8. After all, you've now got a match for these particular sounds, but of course an OB does several more. On the other hand, if you find out yourself by making comparisons that the difference's not worth locking up several grand in a piece of vintage gear, you know you can let it go for (usually) what you paid for it. I mean, I've done Mini vs Diva tests myself - I'm not selling anything but it's good to know that there's a convenient substitute if I need it.
Again, I wrote "tells me personally". I did not make any general statements and for others like yourself, the $4k may make sense. For me, not. I can get along fine with what I've got and use that money for other things (high-quality master clock is up there on the list).
Old 22nd July 2014
I got it wrong.......and honestly was not very confident in my decision even after listening on monitors, on headphones and in my car. I'm no analog expert, but often think Diva sounds better than my only analog equipment. Not always, but with some things, definitely. What's even more interesting, is that this wasn't even a comparison between one of the instruments Diva directly intends to emulate (Model D, Alpha J, JP-8, MS-20).......guess the Uhbie filter was used which is based on the SEM and other OB stuff, but still. For the most part this was a good comparison. The patches had character and wasn't just comparing a saw wave to a saw wave.

I can play Diva just fine in Divine mode with a reverb send all day. Sure, as the track count picks up, you've already designed your sound, so just put it on draft mode, or bounce to audio and carry on.

I like the uHe sound and think Diva and Zebra are the best sounding software I have, and the most frequent I use. Still, got it wrong though.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
...but if you want to use the oscillators raw or anything close to those types of sounds, Diva is garbage.
Damn, that's pretty harsh, and I can't agree with that at all.
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
Well, no need if you're going to only do detuned PWM sounds with a lot of filtering going on. Diva is great at that, as has been highlighted, but if you want to use the oscillators raw or anything close to those types of sounds, Diva is garbage.
Sounds like a challenge to me....

So the soft synthnes was disguised by PWM and a software filter? If that's all it takes.....
Old 22nd July 2014
Im going to do some more tests which aim to look at the differences on individual sounds...does anyone have requests for types of sounds?

Its great that everyone thinks they are very close. There are some differences to my ear in the high end and tonal balance...also the resonance...the interesting thing is if you set it very carefully you can make the differences much smaller. It would be easy to do an unfair comparison with Diva but Im not interested in that.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Addict

Awesome test. Diva does sound quite good. Still prefer the OB8 though.

Awesome choice for what track to use as well. One of my faves. He used and Emax for most of the synth sounds on this. And the Pat Benatar sample..

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search