The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue vs Digital - Diva and OB8 test Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Which synth is First in the 8 bar cycle?
Diva
92 Votes - 51.11%
OB8
88 Votes - 48.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Nice. The sound design business must pay well.

I have been listening to your demos of your "Diva Transitions Vol 1" patches. I assume you created these demos? Do you do any original music besides the demos? Very cool stuff.
One or two things here and there, but I can never seem to keep interest in making a track long enough to finish it. Demos are nice because I can explore styles and just focus on the sounds, but making a track gets all "is this me?" and all that nonsense.

BTW yes I make the demos, unless otherwise stated in the title.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markorbit View Post
Too close to call but my hunch is the OB8 is first.
I listened on Adam A7s with KRK 10 Sub.
I agree with this.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
I hear you but... people "collecting" all kinds of music stuff and not coming up with music shouldn't bother you. You should just make good music if that's what you do and be happy with that. No need to harp on these guys who aren't "real musicians". They have a right to take a chance and own gear for fun.

I know a guy who can't play, but collects a full room of gear and babies all of it. He absolutely loves it. He loves discussions about gear, loves to dissect what he hears.

He tries to jam away and hasn't released a thing but the point is that's what makes him happy and to be honest he's doing future musicians a good service because he takes care of his gear so well so therefore is preserving it for future generations. Some guys play the crap out of something but also don't take care of the gear and in 20 years from now it's scrap junk. So either way it serves a purpose. Weather that is immediate to "music making that gets released" or not..who cares. If people are happy owning gear and not releasing an album the good that they are happy.

Besides, how many musicians are really making a living all over the world who own gear or how many actually release albums?? I'd bet a lot just jam, no pressure on them.

Lastly, this is gearslutz, this is a forum where people talk about every detail of synthesizers and gear. That's what they do. If you're mad because they are not releasing albums and songs, well skip over to the songwriting forum then or something like it.
I would love to release music.....any labels accepting demos? The last time I checked, it's pretty damn hard to be successful and make a living off playing music. Many factors keep us from that, either looks, talent, ability, luck or any combination thereof can kill the dream. My band has a very good product, I think, but it's hard to make it. This forum is cool and seems to be for everyone, let's get rid of the music ****s, though. Killing my vibe, man. As for the musical example presented to us, it sounds damn good! I, admit, I'm listening to it through an iPad speaker, but I'm not blaming that for my weak skills. I will listen a couple more times, then vote. This is fun!

Ok, diva first, ob8 second.

As an aside, my wife thinks it's ob8 then diva.
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
Demos are nice because I can explore styles and just focus on the sounds, but making a track gets all "is this me?" and all that nonsense.
Ha, I can definitely relate, have made a few synthesizer and keyboard demos myself.
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Ha, I can definitely relate, have made a few synthesizer and keyboard demos myself.
Oh I know, I used to watch them years ago, especially the Virus and Waldorf Videos.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

My daughter's name is Diva...
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
My daughter's name is Diva...
Diva Fiddlestickz! I love it!
Old 22nd July 2014
They both sound really good. There are noticeable differences in the sound, but can't say which one is 'better.' On my first listen, I guessed (and poll'd) OB8 to be first. After a few listens on Sony 7506's, I'd say Diva is first and OB8 is second. The first synth has a slightly bigger, cleaner bass to my ears, but it's pretty open and the mids are spread out. The second is slightly tighter and has a mid-range saturation and phasey-ness that sounds like analogue to me. TELLLLLLL USSSSSS please.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Diva Fiddlestickz! I love it!
She's actually named after a very famous racehorse in Oz called Makybe Diva, she won 3 Melbourne cups in a row, a feat that will never be broken, something akin to a horse winning 3 triple crowns in row...just a massive achievement.

and just like the racehorse - Diva 1st OB8 2nd...
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

REALLY REALLY nicely done! there is a slight difference that's apparent in the opening bars...a kind of narrowing of the sound field on the second 4 bars. i'm going to say that's the softie.

but holy cow, that's close enough for me.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Why wouldn't someone be obsessive about music, art, food, etc. It's people with little taste that don't give a **** about the details. Being a snob is seldom an insult if you truly are one.
It's an insult though, sort of an equivalent to "pompous imbecile"... yet still an imbecile. Just saying...

Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
I dunno. Listened on headphones on getting up this morning and seems there's some small differences but that's because you've said it's ob8 vs diva otherwise I'd have enjoyed listening to it and never known.

If I didn't like owning the synth that's the size of a kitchen table with big knobs on it and I really should sell to pay for an actual new kitchen I'd be be using diva a lot more over the ob8.

I've used diva and it's brilliant. But then when I switch on the ob8 or jp6 I prefer the experience of using them and for the sounds I can make on them I always use them over software.

My programming skills are not good enough to match patches between them and diva.

My question to you Steve is are you going to sell the ob8 after this? You've been toying with the idea of AK etc to replace it for a while now so guess this is part of that very long decision..

Great post anyway.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

I wish the track was longer, rather enjoyed that.

#1 Diva
#2 OB8

Pure guess.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Some word of advice though: don't use a poll for this, since then everyone with self-proclaimed golden ears will then reply (after the reveal) "yeah well OF COURSE you could hear that this was totally HW". You want people to put their money where their mouth is and replying in the thread also shows the ones who are willing to do this and the Johnny-come-latelies who only chime in after the fact (plus, it shows the people who never do tests like these while maintaining that they can hear the difference from a mile away anyway).
I thought the OP of the thread can close a poll whenever he wants? So, after the reveal he could close the poll...
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
yes, dry solo separated files would be better.
Old 22nd July 2014
I think the pwm is throwing me off. I can only really concentrate on the first 8/16 bars, the bass has more pwm on the second halves.

Pretty sure I guessed wrong. betting against living sounds is always a losing bet. I blame the earbuds.

After the results come in, I'm sure this thread will then turn into another digital vs analogue ****storm.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

LOL , really good actually.
Considering myself to have golden ears I know I may be out on deep water here...
Hm...at first listen the first round was sounding better , but when cranking up the volume the second part was better...
So really good comparison , both sounding good :D

However voted for OB-8 being first.
Old 22nd July 2014
Here for the gear

1st diva 2nd ob no doubt.
Old 22nd July 2014
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
I can only really concentrate on the first 8/16 bars
I find it a bit difficult to concentrate on counting bars and sound at the same time. Simple A vs B test would be better. Particularly with sounds matched so close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
betting against living sounds is always a losing bet.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

My initial thought was "where's the other sample", so pretty good job with the sounds Swan.

On the second listen the first one had a bit more edge and the other was a bit more rounded. I think I know Diva pretty well, since that's the only VSTi synth I do use so my guess would be that the first one is Diva and the second is Ob8, I might be wrong and I think both synths are capable to do 1 and 2.

Anyway, nice thread. Thank you Swan.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Simple A vs B test would be better. Particularly with sounds matched so close.
Use the Force, Don!
Old 22nd July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Use the Force, Don!
With two patches matched so close, very difficult. I would probably fail my own Blofeld vs. Juno 60 quiz if played now, when i no longer remember which is which.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler477 View Post
If you spent as much time trying to find the differences from the OB8 and Diva and showcased those then this "poll" would have a very different outcome, no?
Of course it would...
...but it is much more fun to confuse the people who claim that they can hear the differences under all circumstances heh
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
The first one is probably OB8. Sounds somehow more vintagey to me. The second one is more open or wide sounding but less focused which I hate about software instruments. However i have never owned or even tried a real OB8 so this is going to be interesting

EDIT: on second listening I found the second one to be slightly richer in tone, especially the bass part. And which lead lead part is better is subjective, the second being more open and flowing. Is it worth $2000 difference in price + all the maintenance? I don't think so.
Old 22nd July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Thats fine if you think converters matter.
Your converters definitely suck!

This is how a real OB-8 sounds like: ob8.mp3
Old 22nd July 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
Of course it would...
...but it is much more fun to confuse the people who claim that they can hear the differences under all circumstances heh
True
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
It's obvious to me the first one sounds better, I stand by that and for the same reasons I've given initially.
I think this is what Swan was getting at when he wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Ive been spending some time investigating the aspects in which Diva sounds different to my analogue gear. Its actually pretty difficult to do this - because Diva is good I would say - and the small differences can sometimes come down to a different 'feel' and other subjective experiences...
There's a subjective element to all of this which is difficult to discount. In my own case, I much prefer the sound and 'feel' of the second synth.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

To be honest, considering we're all pretty experienced in the whole equipment/software comparisons, and are all synth freaks here, the fact there's even any disagreement on which is which kind of suggests to me that we're in a golden age for software.

I'd say 1st OB 2nd Diva.

Either way, both sound absolutely fantastic. To be able to get that close on a $200 piece of software is staggering.
Old 22nd July 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
To be honest, considering we're all pretty experienced in the whole equipment/software comparisons, and are all synth freaks here, the fact there's even any disagreement on which is which kind of suggests to me that we're in a golden age for software.

I'd say 1st OB 2nd Diva.

Either way, both sound absolutely fantastic. To be able to get that close on a $200 piece of software is staggering.
Agree 100%, well said
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

My guess would be OB8 in 2nd 8 bars, first 8 bars sound a bit too bright to me
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search