The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue vs Digital - Diva and OB8 test Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Which synth is First in the 8 bar cycle?
Diva
92 Votes - 51.11%
OB8
88 Votes - 48.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru
Ok .. make DIVA do that OB-8 rezzy squeal from Prince's "I Would Die 4 U" ... and lets compare that.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

I think it might be time to reveal which is which before the analog crowd go into meltdown and start crying...lol
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil_g View Post
haha not seen that before
Old 22nd July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
thats pulse width modulation you are hearing...nearing / slightly hitting the 0 point...
Interesting. So if the second parts turn out to be the real OB8, then my ears obviously prefer Diva, at least in your demo...
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think then - we are not 'buddies'.

Thats fine if you think converters matter.

but its a bit rude not to mention condescending - to say its obvious one way - then say maybe my converters just suck ;-).

Anyways point taken - you now think its the other way around.
It's obvious to me the first one sounds better, I stand by that and for the same reasons I've given initially. I've never played an OB8, and it may very well just sound this way. Other Oberheim polysynths are known for their sloppy envelopes after all. And there may be reasons other than converters. Vintage synths do not automatically have to sound punchy and sparkly...

And, yes, I was obviously referencing South Park there.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Couldn't tell the difference. Both sounded very good to me. I'd be quite happy to use either one.

But I don't think I'm going to sell my vintage analogs just yet (yes, I'm one of "those" guys -- not an analog purist, not even a fetishist; just an enthusiast).
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Ok .. make DIVA do that OB-8 rezzy squeal from Prince's "I Would Die 4 U" ... and lets compare that.
...if only his stuff was on YT.

I feel like an awful human being for saying that. Next thing you know I will be justifying my existence by number of "likes".
Old 22nd July 2014
I've never done one of these A/B tests before, and I wouldn't put myself up as an expert in the analog/digital debate. I own Diva, and apart from playing with friends Roland gear for a short time, years ago, my only analog experience is owning modern analogs, i.e. Elektron A4 and AR.

I said Diva was first, based on nothing other than it sounded brighter to my ears. Competing with old analog equipment, I'd guess that software would sound brighter, more in the high end. Both sounded good, excellent even, and that is all that matters, at the end of the day.
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post
Interesting. So if the second parts turn out to be the real OB8, then my ears obviously prefer Diva, at least in your demo...
well - I wouldnt say that - its just a setting. You can make most synths which do PWM to cross into 0 on the waveform...I kind of like that effect...Diva and OB8 can do it...
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Great job on this demo.
The votes are currently 30 each.
I'm waiting for the results to posted, then I'm adding my name to the winners list.
Old 22nd July 2014

Quote:
well - I wouldnt say that - its just a setting. You can make most synths which do PWM to cross into 0 on the waveform...I kind of like that effect...Diva and OB8 can do it...
So then why can't my ears notice the same disturbing effect on the first parts, but only on the second parts? Aren't the PWM settings of Diva and OB8 equal in your example?
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol

I never get tired of the "crappy speakers no accountability" crowd on GS!

Hahahahahahahahahahaaaa
I was saying crappy speakers were accountable enough/ there was no need to use another soundsystem to tell the difference. But you were quoting me as part of the "crappy speakers no accountability" crowd. Crappy speakers won't hide the distinct differences to be heard in the example, at least not all of them.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
This. why not make an evolving patch on both and a/b that? these sounds can be done with many synths ITB other than DIVA.

That's my argument with this whole emulation vs hardware debate.

If you spent as much time trying to find the differences from the OB8 and Diva and showcased those then this "poll" would have a very different outcome, no?
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
...if only his stuff was on YT.

I feel like an awful human being for saying that. Next thing you know I will be justifying my existence by number of "likes".
I kinda adore his hatred of the internet ...
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post
So then why can't my ears notice the same disturbing effect on the first parts, but only on the second parts? Aren't the PWM settings of Diva and OB8 equal in your example?
well - the Osc settings are very difficult to match perfectly...the extent to which the modulation parameters swing in each synth is slightly different - and the resultant sound slightly different. For instance with PWM - you also get some detuning. To get it close in one aspect of the sound - I set it very slightly different in another...its not an exact science with different Osc...hopefully still useful/interesting...not meant to be disturbing...

Re Prince sound - Im open to comparing any sounds if people request...that prince sound seems more like a sync sweep on initial listen but will give it a proper listen later....the Tom Swayer is I think regarded as the gold standard resonance sweep...?
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru
pffftt.. Tom Sawyer.. rock man's res sweep.

Slap your dick between your legs, put on some eyeliner and man up!
Old 22nd July 2014
whatever, Diva rocks!
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I think it might be time to reveal which is which before the analog crowd go into meltdown and start crying...lol
If the second was DIVA, that would be über-cool! But that would mean that the OB8 produced that wavetable-based PWM (which is the typical approach to avoid aliasing) in the example which would mean it had digital oscillators. Seems not very likely...
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I kinda adore his hatred of the internet ...
I definitely respect it. It just means I have to be a responsible consumer and buy his stuff.

heh...
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Not feeling the 'v' in the thread title, apart from its obvious click-bait effect. Is there a competition here I'm missing?

I listened to the clip, just sounds like some nice sounds from both synths to me.
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler477 View Post
these sounds can be done with many synths ITB other than DIVA.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

[IMG]http://www.found****.com/pictures/funny/rick-astley-pie-chart.jpg[/IMG]

Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Addict

...first is Diva. It's cleaner and more focused. It's also louder which is a big unfair advantage (the RMS average may have been matched but I would have used my ears to do a final level check).
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Addict

I honestly have no idea.

I've listened through nice KRK monitors with decent levels and both sound great.
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
if one sucks at patch design :p

ha no seriously where is this thread going

the OP...... is trolling
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
ha no seriously where is this thread going
We're amusing ourselves while others weigh in, and the entire forum waits breathlessly for SWAN808 to tell us the answer.

Quote:
...pie charts...
Very funny. I laughed at those.
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
Well done test. Just listening on my laptop speakers atm. I think the first one is the OB and the second one is Diva.
Listening on my PSI 17m's now. Still don't really know what is what. I'd have to really listen closely which I don't feel like doing, which says a lot about the quality of emulation in this patch.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Very funny. I laughed at those.
Excellent. I have chosen...wisely.

A strong third place went to...

Seriously though, I first listened without reading the instructions. I was a bit surprised once I understood what I was supposed to be looking for. My takeaway was more about the operator than the tools.

Then again(wait for it, ionian)...I was listening on crappy laptop speakers.
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
Listening on my PSI 17m's now.
Nice. The sound design business must pay well.

I have been listening to your demos of your "Diva Transitions Vol 1" patches. I assume you created these demos? Do you do any original music besides the demos? Very cool stuff.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search