The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue vs Digital - Diva and OB8 test Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Which synth is First in the 8 bar cycle?
Diva
92 Votes - 51.11%
OB8
88 Votes - 48.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
Yazoo in 2011. Not a Pro One in sight.

"Don't Go" is at 9:00:

... an Apple laptop instead ... and in this video they're not miming.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
... an Apple laptop instead ... and in this video they're not miming.
ZOMG, pros use softsynths...

Just a gentle reminder that artists are generally pragmatic, and most of the dogma comes from bedroom enthusiasts who have contributed precisely 'squat' to the world of music.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
ZOMG, pros use softsynths...

Just a gentle reminder that artists are generally pragmatic, and most of the dogma comes from bedroom enthusiasts who have contributed precisely 'squat' to the world of music.
Careful, I referred to them as "weekend amateurs" in another thread ... got my head handed to me
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Careful, I referred to them as "weekend amateurs" in another thread ... got my head handed to me
As long as it was only a virtual head, you'll be fine!
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm so proud of you guys. Please keep it going.
Old 4th August 2014
interesting comments - considering the list of albums in dance and electronic music in 2013

20 Best Dance Albums of 2013 | Rolling Stone

RA Poll: Top 20 albums of 2013

With some of them such as Holy Ghost, Daft Punk, Classixx, Boards of Canada, Factory Floor, Kavinsky, Johnny Jewel, Daniel Avery, James Blake, Jessy Lanza(produced by Jeremy Greenspan) being well known fans of analogue equiptment - using it almost exclusively...

I guess they all didnt make much contribution and are suffering confirmation bias
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
interesting comments - considering the list of albums in dance and electronic music in 2013

With some of them such as Holy Ghost, Daft Punk, Classixx, Boards of Canada, Factory Floor, Kavinsky, Johnny Jewel, Daniel Avery, James Blake, Jessy Lanza(produced by Jeremy Greenspan) being well known fans of analogue equiptment - using it almost exclusively...

I guess they all didnt make much contribution and are suffering confirmation bias
I suppose if you need rolling stone to "confirm" what's best ... then ... ;
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Apparently so many of us listen to **** and should be silenced.

What do you think is worth listening?
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Fair enough... but many of those are relatively new acts. Artists who had to use vintage gear, when it wasn't actually 'vintage' gear, it was just 'gear' that weighed too much and was unreliable, are quite happy to use more reliable lighter stuff. New acts think they're being more 'authentic' by using old gear.

BTW... I love old analogue gear, more than I can ever convey in a post or say with words. I don't have the room for it, I can't 'afford' it (or more accurately can't justify it given this is a hobby for me) and my wife would probably leave me if I spent $20,000 on an ARP, Jupiter 8 and an MF-104m or something... it's pure jealousy, really.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Apparently so many of us listen to **** and should be silenced.

What do you think is worth listening?
Not Rolling Stone magazine, or what popular polls tell you is good, listen to what you like ...
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
No, we need random dudes on the internet to do that!
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Artists who had to use vintage gear, when it wasn't actually 'vintage' gear, it was just 'gear' that weighed too much and was unreliable, are quite happy to use more reliable lighter stuff. New acts think they're being more 'authentic' by using old gear.
There's also people like Vince Clarke (Yazoo, Depeche Mode, Erasure) who's a real Gear Slut, analogue hoarder.

Apparently started using plugins in 2004, and ironically no worthwhile releases after that. :(

Still praising the analogues, though.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear
By the way, I agree that I would never turn to Rolling Stone of all things as a guide for what to listen to... I think people do listen to what they like. Swan's point was that favoring hardware over software is not just the domain of "bedroom warriors."
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear
I really don't understand why people make such a big deal out of this turdery. If you are happy making music with software, that's great! If you like hardware, well you might have more of a financial burden for your tastes, but that's fine too. Why does one camp constantly seem to feel the need to put the other one down?
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
There's also people like Vince Clarke (Yazoo, Depeche Mode, Erasure) who's a real Gear Slut, analogue hoarder.

Apparently started using plugins in 2004, and ironically no worthwhile releases after that. :(

Still praising the analogues, though.

And uses a laptop with Logic on Stage, best of both worlds I guess...
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
I really don't understand why people make such a big deal out of this turdery. If you are happy making music with software, that's great! If you like hardware, well you might have more of a financial burden for your tastes, but that's fine too. Why does one camp constantly seem to feel the need to put the other one down?
If it weren't for the religious zeal from people not born when these synths were new, and the subsequent ridiculous dollar values placed upon them, I'd agree with you.

It's just too much fun to make fun of ... like the guys here in the states spending 60 grand on old, mediocre muscle cars insisting "those were the days" - as if time stopped in 1970.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Fair enough... but many of those are relatively new acts. Artists who had to use vintage gear, when it wasn't actually 'vintage' gear, it was just 'gear' that weighed too much and was unreliable, are quite happy to use more reliable lighter stuff. New acts think they're being more 'authentic' by using old gear.
since Depeche Mode gets mentioned along some posts, and I don't think Depeche Mode is a new act by anyone's accord ...

I see analog, digital, acoustic, and electric here ... perhaps focusing less on "vs" and focusing more on "coop" would be more constructive to any artist that has any intent in completing something which others may enjoy.

Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sorry, can't resist - from What Is a Confirmation Bias?

What Is a Confirmation Bias?

A confirmation bias is a type of cognitive bias that involves favoring information that confirms previously existing beliefs or biases. For example, imagine that a person holds a belief that left-handed people are more creative than right-handed people. Whenever this person encounters a person that is both left-handed and creative, they place greater importance on this "evidence" supporting their already existing belief. This individual might even seek out "proof" that further backs up this belief, while discounting examples that do not support this idea.

Confirmation biases impact how people gather information, but they also influence how people interpret and recall information.
For example, people who support or oppose a particular issue will not only seek information that supports their beliefs, they will also interpret news stories in a way that upholds their existing ideas and remember things in a way that also reinforces these attitudes.

Sound familiar?
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it weren't for the religious zeal from people not born when these synths were new, and the subsequent ridiculous dollar values placed upon them, I'd agree with you.

It's just too much fun to make fun of ...
Have you considered maybe the Gearslutz is not the forum for your petty little fun?
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Sound familiar?
Yeah ... It sounds like you.
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
Sorry, can't resist - from What Is a Confirmation Bias?

What Is a Confirmation Bias?

A confirmation bias is a type of cognitive bias that involves favoring information that confirms previously existing beliefs or biases. For example, imagine that a person holds a belief that left-handed people are more creative than right-handed people. Whenever this person encounters a person that is both left-handed and creative, they place greater importance on this "evidence" supporting their already existing belief. This individual might even seek out "proof" that further backs up this belief, while discounting examples that do not support this idea.

Confirmation biases impact how people gather information, but they also influence how people interpret and recall information.
For example, people who support or oppose a particular issue will not only seek information that supports their beliefs, they will also interpret news stories in a way that upholds their existing ideas and remember things in a way that also reinforces these attitudes.

Sound familiar?
Yes its familiar because it is the way people make arguments and debate - to provide supporting evidence. What you dont seem to realise that that doesnt mean the argument is false or heavily influenced by confirmation bias. Cognitive bias is a tendency with variation - not an absolute fact. And the only way to evaluate the impact of bias is to study the balance of objective evaluation in the debate - not something you have done.

The irony - as I told you before - is your misuse of the term exposes your own bias - the bias of a troll:

Quote:
If it weren't for the religious zeal

It's just too much fun to make fun of ... .
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
The so-called "vintage analog diehard" is a ghost. A red herring. A straw man. Can anyone point me to a SINGLE "vintage analog diehard" on this forum who doesn't also use modern and/or digital synthesizers?

Seems to me that the loudest and most insistent contributors in this thread -- and increasingly in this whole subforum -- are those who invent such people out of thin air and then rail against them.
QFT

I think these VAD's grumph speaks of ... are takin out of context. I do prefer analog synths to make ... analog synths sounds. So in those conversations I would appear to be a VAD.

I'll take a Coke over Diet Coke everytime ... Because I don't drink pop all the time.
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:

BTW... I love old analogue gear, more than I can ever convey in a post or say with words. I don't have the room for it, I can't 'afford' it (or more accurately can't justify it given this is a hobby for me) and my wife would probably leave me if I spent $20,000 on an ARP, Jupiter 8 and an MF-104m or something... it's pure jealousy, really.
I understant there was definitely a load of artists (or keyboard players) back when the choice only was analogue gear - and they were delighted when the DX7 and then ROMplers came onto the market...but analogue gear has been taken on by various areas of the electronic music scene.

Now days its easier to get a retro sound by just using the original gear - if thats the sound you are into. Whats the problem with that? Seems a lot of paranoia about people using things for pretentious reasons when in fact it not only makes sense and from personal experience - if you want a certain sound - the easiest way to to go to the original gear.

Im happy to use anything I like the sound of - old or modern. In fact - my Moog Source is becoming a bit of a hassle and Im wondering if I could swap it for something else...part of the reason for my tests against Monark.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Guru
I'll say it again... I buy "vintage" because I'm poor.

So much good music you can make today with FM ... And samplers I couldn't afford as a teen.
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
I'll say it again... I buy "vintage" because I'm poor.

So much good music you can make today with FM ... And samplers I couldn't afford as a teen.
yeah if you have the physical room you can get a sweet set-up that would have cost a huge amount...I just picked up a Akai S1000 for £80...has a great sound...FM synths and romplers are dirt cheap...I have a TX7 which I like the sound of a lot...
Old 4th August 2014
Gentlemen.... Gentlemen....
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah if you have the physical room you can get a sweet set-up that would have cost a huge amount...I just picked up a Akai S1000 for £80...has a great sound...FM synths and romplers are dirt cheap...I have a TX7 which I like the sound of a lot...
Exactly - it's almost ironic. I had a Juno 60 in the early 90's, got it for practically nothing - an M1 or JV1080 was out of the question then, but now I could get either for a couple of hundred bucks (and I'm looking for a 1080 or TG77).

As to your other post - there is nothing at all wrong with artists wanting to use old vintage gear to get a certain sound or vibe. There is also nothing even wrong with being puritanical in your approach, and sticking to a particular approach, and neither is there anything wrong with making all of you music on a 2nd hand laptop running linux and freeware VSTs and being equally puritanical.

I have an issue with someone judging one over the other, using words like 'creamy' and 'colorful' as though they're objective metrics of the validity of instrument choice - but that's just me hating on Gen Y and the millenials... and it's THAT which is pretentious, and unfortunately somewhat prevalent in these debates.
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
Exactly - it's almost ironic. I had a Juno 60 in the early 90's, got it for practically nothing - an M1 or JV1080 was out of the question then, but now I could get either for a couple of hundred bucks (and I'm looking for a 1080 or TG77).

As to your other post - there is nothing at all wrong with artists wanting to use old vintage gear to get a certain sound or vibe. There is also nothing even wrong with being puritanical in your approach, and sticking to a particular approach, and neither is there anything wrong with making all of you music on a 2nd hand laptop running linux and freeware VSTs and being equally puritanical.

I have an issue with someone judging one over the other, using words like 'creamy' and 'colorful' as though they're objective metrics of the validity of instrument choice - but that's just me hating on Gen Y and the millenials... and it's THAT which is pretentious, and unfortunately somewhat prevalent in these debates.
yeah - I understand that a lot of early electronic music happened as a result of those instruments floowing the used market when they were cheaper...

Personally I think its fine to use words to describe sound...even poetically...we are meant to be artists after all...

However I can understand there are annoying elements in some communities...as far as I gather the hipster movement in Brookly can be pretty irritating...any sort of pretentiousness I find irritating...
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
Are you suggesting there's been no good electronic music since Yazoo?

D.
Yep.......thats right.Theres no grit and good tunes nowadays.But how would sell outs that just bicker on forums understand anything.Anything........hehcarry on with your weak copys and your soft life.Rock and roll is dead for you.

if it was ever alive for you that is...
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Yep.......thats right.Theres no grit and good tunes nowadays.But how would sell outs that just bicker on forums understand anything.Anything........hehcarry on with your weak copys and your soft life.Rock and roll is dead for you.

if it was ever alive for you that is...
Hello Mr. Grumpy
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search