The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue vs Digital - Diva and OB8 test Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Which synth is First in the 8 bar cycle?
Diva
92 Votes - 51.11%
OB8
88 Votes - 48.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st July 2014
Hey SWAN ; thanks for this and the work involved ... DIVA is first ; second is OB8 ...i d like to add that this is sounding very good and that it s showing how good DIVA is ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
On my internet speakers I can't tell which is which. They both sound the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Based on the crummy speakers on my work laptop, I vote the OB as first. I can hear differences between the two until the drums kick in... then either my ears or the laptop speakers can't account for any difference.

Nice work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
2nd one sounds more smooth which still is pretty obvious on macbook speakers (I didn't even listen on an appropriate sound system)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
Well done test. Just listening on my laptop speakers atm. I think the first one is the OB and the second one is Diva.
Lol

I never get tired of the "crappy speakers no accountability" crowd on GS!

Hahahahahahahahahahaaaa
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
At this rate, about half of the Slutzers who voted are going to be.... (gasp)...

Wrong.

What will the response be?

The fact that half can't agree means there isn't enough of a difference to warrant any real attention - it's a result that falls into the norm for variation. Some of those people on a different day might have a different vote simply because of some other variable - fatigue, hearing change, different listening environment ...

I haven't listened to the samples because frankly, I don't care, for me this issue has been long settled.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
And thus on this day July 21, 2014 did the war between the Analog and the Digital come to an end. And everyone lived in peace from this day forward. And gearslutz became a virtual ghost town because no one had anything to argue about any more. They were all making music.
LOL you're dreaming. Analog vs digital war will never end.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

My golden ears tell me that Diva comes second. There is only 50% chance of error and I listened on a state of the art audiophile system. Analogue for the win!

Now, can someone tell me what OB8 sounds like?
Old 21st July 2014
Deleted User
'A bunch of amateurs (can't hear a such obvious thing)' I thought when I read this thread .... until I heard the file. Sounds very similar and hard to tell. My guess is the first one is the OB due to more focused sound (in my iPad earbuds) and the second DIVA due to the less focused sound and not the same phase. The first milliseconds in the attack differs and the stereo phase.
Old 21st July 2014
can you do a long filter sweeps and various sweeps with each one and we'll let you know which.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

These are quite close. Im a gearslut obsessed with detail so i listened on the speaker of my samsung smartphone, while it was in the livingroom and i was on the toilet. One sounded like mother nature at the dawn of life, the other sounded like a counterfeit gameboy. Sooo obvious that I'm not even going to legitimise op's poll by saying which is which.
Old 21st July 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
can you do a long filter sweeps and various sweeps with each one and we'll let you know which.
Actually then you miss the whole point as it's only in the context of music that a sound is interesting. Oscilloscope musicians are not real musicians, just failed musicians.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I can't honestly say which is which. It took a while to even perceive any difference, and if forced to give an answer, I'd probably say the the OB comes first. But I simply can't be sure. Great job!
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

well .. the poll is 50:50!!!

@swan808, pm'd you my address to take the OB8 of your hands. With the price of real estate going up all the time, you simply cannot afford to use up any storage space inadequately! heh
Old 21st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I haven't listened to the samples because frankly, I don't care, for me this issue has been long settled.
Truly, a wiser man than the rest of us.
Old 21st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
Actually then you miss the whole point as it's only in the context of music that a sound is interesting. Oscilloscope musicians are not real musicians, just failed musicians.
Ok I missed the point. I guess a guy who started a thread saying lets dissect this sound and listen and compare, isn't doing what you call "oscilloscope musicians" (the same people who build your synths who you don't call real musicians) do.

What was I thinking? Oh man.

That attitude about who is a "real musician" is a head up in the clouds attitude. People can do whatever they want with synths.
Old 21st July 2014
Personally, I think that software instruments sound better on vintage computers.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

It doesn't sound like they're a couple of €k apart. I would say first one is Diva
Old 21st July 2014
Thanks for the positive comments. To be honest I was suprised by how close I could get it. The trick is - getting the settings right by ear!

However there are differences and clues - probably easiest in the pwm lead sound and brassy sound. You might also watch out for the tonal emphasis...

whats the general vibe people wish for the timing of the reveal - maybe tomorrow? Started well and I dont want it to drag on go negative...
Old 21st July 2014
^^^^^
Yeah SWAN ... tomorrow is perfect ... a 24 hours poll is great ...then it will lead to lots of discussions and explanations from u .

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Talk View Post
It doesn't sound like they're a couple of €k apart. I would say first one is Diva
True, but one gives you more stage cred and more likes/views on POST PICTURES OF YOUR STUDIO threads.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Thanks for the positive comments. To be honest I was suprised by how close I could get it. The trick is - getting the settings right by ear!

However there are differences and clues - probably easiest in the pwm lead sound and brassy sound. You might also watch out for the tonal emphasis...

whats the general vibe people wish for the timing of the reveal - maybe tomorrow? Started well and I dont want it to drag on go negative...
What converter did you use to record the Oberheim?
Old 22nd July 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Ok I missed the point. I guess a guy who started a thread saying lets dissect this sound and listen and compare, isn't doing what you call "oscilloscope musicians" (the same people who build your synths who you don't call real musicians) do.

What was I thinking? Oh man.

That attitude about who is a "real musician" is a head up in the clouds attitude. People can do whatever they want with synths.
Maybe I was a little unclear and harsh as well, sorry for that. I'm just so tired of people collecting all kind of good music stuff but can't get their thumb out off their ass and come up with some music - they are just wiseacre ("oscilloscope musicians"). A real musician makes music - of whatever: hardware, software, expensive or free stuff. It doesn't matter, it it comes music anyhow and songs will be accomplished, not only opinions and theory.

This excellent audio example shows that it's not necessary to rob a bank to get a nice analog style sound. I'm a die hard analog nerd, but still happy that the software sounds as good that it's sometimes impossible to distinguish it in the context of music. That will save me a lot of money ... and from be tempted to rob a bank to be able to get that sweet OB sound in my songs
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
What converter did you use to record the Oberheim?
RME Fireface 400
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
Maybe I was a little unclear and harsh as well, sorry for that. I'm just so tired of people collecting all kind of good music stuff but can't get their thumb out off their ass and come up with some music - they are just wiseacre ("oscilloscope musicians"). A real musician makes music - of whatever: hardware, software, expensive or free stuff. It doesn't matter, it it comes music anyhow, not only opinions and theory.
I hear you but... people "collecting" all kinds of music stuff and not coming up with music shouldn't bother you. You should just make good music if that's what you do and be happy with that. No need to harp on these guys who aren't "real musicians". They have a right to take a chance and own gear for fun.

I know a guy who can't play, but collects a full room of gear and babies all of it. He absolutely loves it. He loves discussions about gear, loves to dissect what he hears.

He tries to jam away and hasn't released a thing but the point is that's what makes him happy and to be honest he's doing future musicians a good service because he takes care of his gear so well so therefore is preserving it for future generations. Some guys play the crap out of something but also don't take care of the gear and in 20 years from now it's scrap junk. So either way it serves a purpose. Weather that is immediate to "music making that gets released" or not..who cares. If people are happy owning gear and not releasing an album the good that they are happy.

Besides, how many musicians are really making a living all over the world who own gear or how many actually release albums?? I'd bet a lot just jam, no pressure on them.

Lastly, this is gearslutz, this is a forum where people talk about every detail of synthesizers and gear. That's what they do. If you're mad because they are not releasing albums and songs, well skip over to the songwriting forum then or something like it.
Old 22nd July 2014

Quote:
The synth lead sound begins to badly deteriorate and stutter between 00:42 and 00:45 (and again between 00:57 and 1:01), as if there were some processing glitches. Counting the bars, this must be synth B from the second parts.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

I just had a listen on my beloved LSR 305's nice and loud, the first one is slightly brighter so I would say it's the DIVA, the second one had a touch of warm dullness about it, mind you I don't really know what an Oberheim sounds like as it's not a synth I'm overly familiar with, but my vote is Diva first due brighter sound and OB8 second due to slightly duller sound.
Old 22nd July 2014
Threads like this are pointless anyway. Who cares what you write on but.....the OP did make it into a comparision between hardware and software. It think the point was missed by the OP.

I can take ten expensive analog synths, find a sweet spot of a patch between them and software and go ...boom...see hardware isn't worth owning. They sound the same, you wasted your money. But that doesn't make sense.

Software has it's strengths, hardware has it's strengths. Both are different in workflow. Also going beyond those sweetspots you'll find the difference and even the weaknesses of each. Like I said do a patch with intricate fitler sweeps and you'll see the difference between the two. So what's the point of this thread? To say look this synth is able to do exactly what a OB8 can do??? So what in a bit of a sweetspot yeah but the OB8 has other things it offers. Not to forget it doesn't need a computer to run on in 30 years from now, and I can hand it down to my son. My son isn't going to have to lug around a 30 year old computer with outdated software just to jam. Just pull out the keyboard, turns some knobs and jam. Who cares, that's what I say about this thread. Sorry. Nothing new that software can sound good. Beating a dead horse.
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Lastly, this is gearslutz, this is a forum where people talk about every detail of synthesizers and gear. That's what they do. If you're mad because they are not releasing albums and songs, well skip over to the songwriting forum then or something like it.
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post
The synth lead sound begins to badly deteriorate and stutter between 00:42 and 00:45 (and again between 00:57 and 1:01), as if there were some processing glitches.
thats pulse width modulation you are hearing...nearing / slightly hitting the 0 point...
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
RME Fireface 400. Listen dude - dont insult my converters as a way to hedge your bet.

I'm not your dude, buddy!

But seriously, converters matter. I'm fairly convinced now that the first one actually is Diva (I voted for the other one). And I still prefer the first one, though the PWM of the second one sounds a little nicer.
Old 22nd July 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
I know a guy who can't play, but collects a full room of gear and babies all of it. He absolutely loves it. He loves discussions about gear, loves to dissect what he hears.
Then give it to me - I booth make music of it and love to discuss about the gear
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
I'm not your dude, buddy!

But seriously, converters matter. I'm fairly convinced now that the first one actually is Diva (I voted for the other one). And I still prefer the first one, though the PWM of the second one sounds a little nicer.
I think then - we are not 'buddies'.

Thats fine if you think converters matter.

Quote:
Well done, but it's not a hard choice and not a small difference IMO. The first one sounds much better to my ears - brighter, more organic and alive, punchier. The second one sounds mushy, washed-down, boring by comparison.

I would guess the first to be the hardware, but I haven't used Diva in a long time and might be pleasantly surprised. Or maybe your converters just suck. ;-)
but its a bit rude not to mention condescending tone of your post - to say its obvious one way - then say maybe my converters just suck ;-).

Anyways point taken - you now think its the other way around.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search