The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue vs Digital - Diva and OB8 test Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Which synth is First in the 8 bar cycle?
Diva
92 Votes - 51.11%
OB8
88 Votes - 48.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
I can't tell what is what.

What i find more interesting is that people still want to be right about what is what, rather than just accepting that either synth fits the song perfectly.
oh come on don't be so serious. It's fun, we are not trying to be elitists and act like we all have golden ears.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
What i find more interesting is that people still want to be right about what is what, rather than just accepting that either synth fits the song perfectly.
Because the question was which one was which, not which one fit the song...
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Nut

Wow, this shows how people hear warm/punchy/fat differently! I'll pick OB8 as the first one, as I think it is a bit warmer and rounder. The second is a quite a bit thinner to my ear.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Probably first is Diva as what I remember from my Jupiter 6 was actually it was quite smooth, so in most mix contexts it tended it fall back in a mix at the same levels as softwares. But that's more of a guess. Honestly I'd probably not notice only because we're LOOKING for a differece.

Reminds me when I had my Jupiter 8 and 8V demo, I could get the 8v dialed very very close to the real jupiter 8. Yes the software's response was different than the hardware but that's not the point at hand here.

Not at all my style but well done and reconfirms my suspicion that really "it doesn't matter". Hence why I ditched all my analogues last year and went completly opposite; hardware 8bit digital.
Old 21st July 2014
Guessing, OB first.

the bass sounds slightly more precise on the second = diva......that's my excuse anyway. Nice job!

I guess its good if I'm making my decision based on timing instead of timbre. <shrug>
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know about "people", but to me one sounds really nice and the other sounds rather bland. If the first one happens to be the software I'll definitely check out Diva again.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

My vote is first = Diva.

OB8 is not the most character driver synth IMO, maybe if you compared with an OBXA or OBX, but OB8 always sounded a bit generic/ clean/ vanilla IMO and that goes in line with what I feel about Diva.

No surprises here!
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

The 2nd one has a fatter sound - by that I mean it's as if the oscillators were slightly (more) detuned, chorused, PWMed or whatever. Also a mad sub.

I say that's the diva, since you stated you used dual and triple VCOs.

Nice attempt by the way.
Old 21st July 2014
After 32 votes (an numerous people who can't tell the difference), 15 people have voted one way and 17 have voted another.

If this continues on, however, I wonder if we could see a "piling on" in one direction. Undecided people could pull the trigger on one of the choices based upon what other people have written here.

It is unfortunate that a third choice - "I cannot discern a meaningful difference" - is not available.

And even if there is a difference, who is to say, really, that one is "better" than the other?
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

grabbed popcorn...

Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by m127f View Post
grabbed popcorn...
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

will do this on my focals at home
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Nice one, Swan!

I say the first synth is DIVA, the second is the Obie.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

I prefer the second in this demo. The first use different envelope mod little more punch the second nicer detune and more character.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Nut

And thus on this day July 21, 2014 did the war between the Analog and the Digital come to an end. And everyone lived in peace from this day forward. And gearslutz became a virtual ghost town because no one had anything to argue about any more. They were all making music.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

First is hardware.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

The allmighty Koss PortaPros revealed that the first example's filter is passing trough more high freqs, and the envelope has more dynamics and punch.

The first one is more pleasing, second one sounds flat.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic92 View Post
oh come on don't be so serious. It's fun, we are not trying to be elitists and act like we all have golden ears.
Actually, quite a few people in here do just that heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
Because the question was which one was which, not which one fit the song...
But you are missing the point.
The only reason to be obsessive about analogue vs. digital is if the technology detracts from the music.

...unless it is your hobby to be obsessive about the technology behind the sounds of course...
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, quite a few people in here do just that heh

But you are missing the point.
The only reason to be obsessive about analogue vs. digital is if the technology detracts from the music.

...unless it is your hobby to be obsessive about the technology behind the sounds of course...
haha. True. But I do love being distracted by technology so that it inspires me to create music.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

1. Diva
2. analogue synth

2nd one sounds more smooth which still is pretty obvious on macbook speakers (I didn't even listen on an appropriate sound system)
Old 21st July 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Why wouldn't someone be obsessive about music, art, food, etc. It's people with little taste that don't give a **** about the details. Being a snob is seldom an insult if you truly are one.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

gonna say Diva is first
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
And thus on this day July 21, 2014 did the war between the Analog and the Digital come to an end. And everyone lived in peace from this day forward. And gearslutz became a virtual ghost town because no one had anything to argue about any more. They were all making music.
God, I wish!
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Count is 19:20 with the wrong answer leading

Edit: 19:21 with the wrong answer leading
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Head

First one is hardware. Bass is punchier and does not sound mushy as the second.

Will eat my shorts if mistaken. This was very easy :D
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Enjoy your meal
Old 21st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Count is 19:20 with the wrong answer leading

Edit: 19:21 with the wrong answer leading
At this rate, about half of the Slutzers who voted are going to be.... (gasp)...

Wrong.

What will the response be?

Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I voted the first one to be OB, but I regret it now. The envelope sounds kind of 'too good', not Oberheim like. Surprisingly similar tone overall.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Head

Will wait for the results before I start talking too much smack.

Still easy btw.
Old 21st July 2014
Well done test. Just listening on my laptop speakers atm. I think the first one is the OB and the second one is Diva.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search