The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Top 10 best analog polysynths ever¡¡
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Addict

Top 10 best analog polysynths ever¡¡

Hi

There are many threads about top synth but a little about the very best polyphonic synths ever

So which 5 are your favourite?

My experiencie is only with a DSI Tetra but I would get one of this monster
in the near future .

From I was reading this one seems pretty much the best:

1.-Yamaha Cs-80/Rhodes Chroma
2.-Roland Jupiter 8
3.-Oberheim Obx
4.-Prophet 5
5.-Elka Synthex
6.-Jomox Sunsyn
7.-Oberheim Matrix 12
8.-Prophet T8
9.-Alesis Andromeda
10.-SE Omega 8

Cheers
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

That's a pretty standard list.

However, I personally would push 3 out and add:

Memory Moog

Oberheim OBXa

Korg Trident MK1
Old 19th July 2014
Deleted User
What do you defines with "best" analog poly synths? There are many analog polys that are good in differnt ways and with different personality. Some sounds smooth other has bite, some are reliable others absolutely not (but sounds great), some has a lot of features others not, some has extremely routing possibilities others not, etc.
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Why do you have the CS-80 and the Chroma on the same line? I have past experience with both and recall few similarities.
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Addict

Analog prophet, I mean if one of your list has got all in one that rank in the top, I thimk that its personal too

Sparqee, like I told above I never can try any of this synths, only read about, Chroma is more arp`s sound but I read here from some that Its one of the best together with Cs-80, yeah different animals but...

Thanks everybody to share your experiencies
Old 19th July 2014
Deleted User
Then my personal ranking list of 10 analog polys would be this, if a service technician, free of charge, is included in the list (of course the list is subject to change):

Yamaha GS1(grand old grandfather)
Yamaha CS80 (that sound)
Memorymoog +
Oberheim Eight Voice
Oberheim Matrix 12 (probably the most competent poly ever)
SCI Prophet 10
SCI Prophet 12 (it's not only analog but still considered as analog)
16 Minimoog Voyager voice link in Voice overflow mode to a 16 voice poly
SCI Prophet 5
Roland Jupiter 8
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
Then my personal ranking list of 10 analog polys would be this, if a service technician, free of charge, is included in the list ...
Clearly spoken by someone who has spent time developing a relationship with these old monsters. The space to keep them and the maintenance expense led me to sell all my old keys. Once you've had to live and travel with these thing the romance kind of fades, or maybe it's just not in my nature to develop emotional attachments to things made from silicon and wire. . No, strike that. I remember being a teenager and having the chance to play a Yamaha GS-1 in San Francisco. I actually had lustful dreams about it afterwards. But that thing was a true musician's instrument. You didn't program it. You played it, and by play I don't mean hold down a note with one finger. It had a wood case, and the feel of Yamaha. I've been a slave to the feel of Yamaha weighted keyboards ever since. Call it a fetish.
Old 19th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portubong View Post
Hi

There are many threads about top synth but a little about the very best polyphonic synths ever

My experiencie is only with a DSI Tetra but I would get one of this monster
in the near future .

From I was reading this one seems pretty much the best:

1.-Yamaha Cs-80/Rhodes Chroma
2.-Roland Jupiter 8
3.-Oberheim Obx
4.-Prophet 5
5.-Elka Synthex
6.-Jomox Sunsyn
7.-Oberheim Matrix 12
8.-Prophet T8
9.-Alesis Andromeda
10.-SE Omega 8

Cheers
Id personally replace the Omega 8, T8, Prophet 5 with:

Prophet 10
Juno 60

and include the CS80 and Chroma

Out of those Id have

Andromeda
JP8
M12
Prophet 10
Juno 60
Old 19th July 2014
1: Prophet 12
2: Jupiter 8
3: Juno 60
4: Prophet 5
5: Xpander
6: jx3p
7: cs 80
8: akai ax 60
9: Omega 8
10: prophet 600
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

In no particular order:

Rhodes Chroma
Oberheim eight-voice
Oberheim Matrix-12
Yamaha GX-1/CS80
Memorymoog
Jupiter 8
Prophet5/10
Elka Synthex

As I see/hear it, these are the pinnacle. All others, in my opinion, start at least one little step lower, for one reason or another.

Was uncertain whether to include the Synthex or not.
Old 19th July 2014
sequential prophet 5 rev2
oberheim ob-x
oberheim ob-xa
yamaha cs80
roland jupiter 8
alesis andromeda
oberheim eight voice
moog memorymoog
oberheim matrix 12
rhodes chroma

i trust all of you listing Yamaha GS1... actually mean GX1 ? .. which was huge and.. analog. Yamaha GS1 is an early digital FM keyboard.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WPMByjAlgy...pg3637_key.jpg

also, P12 is a hybrid, and sounds like one. imo it has no place on the analog polysynth list. then i might as well list ESQ or PPG etc.
Old 19th July 2014
Quote:
There are many threads about top synth but a little about the very best polyphonic synths ever. So which 5 are your favourite?
out of those i've played...
Roland Jupiter 4, Yamaha CS-50, SCI Prophet 5, Oberheim OB-Xa, Kawai SX-210
... liked the Korg Polysix too but not as much as the Kawai.
Old 19th July 2014
On a side note, I'm always shocked at how much fetishism the CS-80 draws. It's unique, but horribly limited compared to, say, a JP8 or P5. I have a feeling most people would be pretty bored with it quickly once they sat down to play the thing.
Old 19th July 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i trust all of you listing Yamaha GS1... actually mean GX1 ? .. which was huge and.. analog. Yamaha GS1 is an early digital FM keyboard.
Yes, thank you for the correction - GX1 of course. It's a little bit confusing with that name as all other older Yamaha synths with 'S' are analog and the 'X' are digital. GS1 is a great synth too, but digital (used for instance on the soft synth horn sound of 'Africa' with Toto and on ABBA records). I was close to buy one GS1 a couple years ago. Former owner was the Polar Studio, that was the ABBA studio in Stockholm (yes, they had a GX1 too), popped up in a music store, but it was not a good deal after all.
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
On a side note, I'm always shocked at how much fetishism the CS-80 draws. It's unique, but horribly limited compared to, say, a JP8 or P5. I have a feeling most people would be pretty bored with it quickly once they sat down to play the thing.

Agreed... and exactly the silly thing about GS. It's on the list because other people talk about and put it on their list. I'm betting 99% of those same people have never even touched one, played and heard the synth (I mean, REALLY hear it).

(Not that it isn't a great synth, but VASTLY hyped and over-rated)
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

No particular order:

Roland Jupiter 4
Roland Jupiter 8
Roland Juno 60
SCI Prophet 5
Oberheim OB-Xa
Oberheim Matrix 12
Yamaha CS80
Rhodes Chroma
Alesis Andromeda
Moog Memorymoog
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
It is magic and majestic. The only limited thing compared to P5 and JP8 is memories. The sound editing is on the contrary almost more flexible than both JP8 and P5. However , yes it is hard to do fast and snappy basslines on a CS-80.
Old 19th July 2014
SEED78
After buying a memorymoog I feel my expensive poly budget is spent.

But I,d choice from these 5 if I ever got loaded:
Sunsyn
Solaris
Cs80
Obxa
Wave
Old 19th July 2014
Yamaha CS80 is certainly not limited, if you know how to play and express yourself. it's god given for that because its basic tone is so organic/majestic, and coupled with one of the best realtime interfaces found on a synth. ever.

let me put it this way, i don't neceserily need a polymod fm-ing the hell out of my filter, or a wall of modular patch, to deliver emotional impact lead theme... but velocity and poly aftertouch going into two CS80 filters, times two layers, juuuust might do the trick..
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Playing the CS80 is an incredible experience. The filters sound huge, the poly AT is great, and the ribbon controller has an unique feel. Boring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
GS1 is a great synth too, but digital (used for instance on the soft synth horn sound of 'Africa' with Toto).
I always thought that was a CS80. Are you sure you aren't referring to the 'flutey marimba' which plays the "response" phrase in fourths?
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Based on polys I have -

Voyetra-8
Rhodes Chroma
Matrix-12
OB-8
Andromeda
CS70M
Memorymoog+
Jupiter-6
Jupiter-8
Prophet-5 Rev 1/2
Old 19th July 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
Playing the CS80 is an incredible experience. The filters sound huge, the poly AT is great, and the ribbon controller has an unique feel. Boring?

I always thought that was a CS80. Are you sure you aren't referring to the 'flutey marimba' which plays the "response" phrase in fourths?
No, not boring at all, sooner the opposite

If my source where I read about it was wrong, then I'm wrong too. If so, I apologise. Actually, it sounds more like CS80 in my ears as well...

I don't know if the AT of the CS80 is the same as other Yamaha synths from that time. In that case its a mechanical wooden arm that goes to a port that makes the AT (as I found out when opened up my Yamaha SY-1 from 1974 - as simple as genius).
Old 20th July 2014
the soft brass is CS80. the marimbas are DX7.

i did try to recreate it on OBX and got very close in character/girth, but of course without dynamics its dead in the water. so in the end my attempt decades ago with MKS70 was actually better in that respect.
Old 20th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
Based on polys I have - Voyetra-8, Rhodes Chroma, Matrix-12, OB-8, Andromeda, CS70M, Memorymoog+, Jupiter-6, Jupiter-8, Prophet-5 Rev1/2
whoa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
Prophet-5 Rev1
double whoa
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

but a little about the very best polyphonic synths ever

Cheers
really?

feels like groundhog day to me, but not unusual on forums

have fun
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Addict

1. Roland Jupiter 8: Mine just left the building :( Best ergonomics of the bunch, huge sweet spot. Limited in a good way.
2. P10 : 2 P5's in stereo, what's not to like
3. CS80: Incredibly organic and responsive. Sadly, this too has left the building.
4. Chroma: Unbelievable sound paired with great flexibility married to your tech or soldering iron and graced with one of the worst interfaces ever. Don't tell me there are ways around it, I already know. There are ways of having sex in jail as well......
5. Matrix 12: Lush, complex with 6 data screens...very few weak points
6. Voyetra eight: with an interface that gives the Chroma a run for its $$ tethered to XLR cable midi and weird grounding issues but Oh that sound :0
7. OBX: Supermodel with an IQ of 60.....so sweet, but too limited
8. Prophet T8: Poly AT on what could arguably be the best keybed ever. Not as brash as a P5 but makes up for it with velocity sensitivity.
9. Andromeda/Aurora A6 : Argued to death on this forum....major flaw for me was too many knobs on a flat panel. Tilt it up nearly 90 degrees and everything is in plain sight.
10. prophet 5 rev 2/OBXa/OB8/xpander/Jup-6. Each of these brings something unique to the table but I really don't prefer one over the other. Each is best for a specific situation.

My list is drawn from ownership or an extended time with a piece of gear ( several months worth); because of this certain synths: Memorymoog +, CS70m, and Elka synthex don't make my list. Having spent a few minutes noodling on the Elka I'd rather think it would make the top 10 given the shot.
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Head

My Opine of the Best of the Best...

I'm, of course, very late to this party, but this, of course, is the kind of discussion that is fun to discuss forever based on changing/new experiences, etc...

My List is Based Strictly on Ownership, and or Past Ownership. (I won’t comment on a synth I haven’t spent an extended period of time on). After 30 years of owning and playing synths, I don’t want to conufuse the matter by forcing 10. These 7 to me, are IMHO the best NOT taking into account value (what they cost relative to what you get for your $), and stability (how often a particular synth requires repairing). My list is 100% based on my opinion of Blow Your Mind Sonic Amazeballs.

In No Particular Order (as that depends on what the music is calls for…)

Yamaha CS80 (Has a Sound All on Its Own. Ribbon Controller is Amazing. More Organic than any other analog poly. Ring Mod is to die for. A Player’s Dream. Aftertouch is Magic. Most likely the God of All Analog Poly’s IMHO).

Synthex (Huge Sound. Sonically Very Versatile. One of very few Anlg Poly’s with a Multi Mode Filter. Capable of some incredible sonic moments, and I find it never disappoints me. Controversial Statement: Can be similar to a Jupiter 8, but capable of more complex sounds, and sonically far more interesting IMO. An Analog Masterpiece, and for me a desert island synth. Big Statement, if I could only own one Analog Poly, the Synthex would be it – because it gives me most of what the others offer (see comments), stays in tune, doesn’t break very often, is easy to use and offers tons of sonic possibilities).

Prophet 5 (Wonderfully trippy. Stunning Filter. Unapologetically analog. Rev 3 is Great. Rev 2 is Greater. A small but noticeable difference in the Filter).

MemoryMoog (Huge Sound. Can be Wonderfully Complex and Trippy Sounding. Very versatile and flexible. Some claim the sound is too big. I say, “Not true. Simply use one osc, or 2 osc’s, and/or that’s why Moog gave you a mixing section. Simply turn down the oscillators…” The MM can do with a pinky what most synths need a whole hand to do. : )

Oberheim OBX (I’ve owned the Ob8 and the Xpander. The OBX is the Best sounding one IMO by a long shot. The diff is the diff. I had an OB8 for 10 years and never used it. OBX is very similar to an Oberheim 4 Voice architecture. 12db Filter is STUNNING. Sound is Huge and Lush. The OBX is limited, but Astounding, and is a great partner to some of the above synths (Prophet and MM), which are 24db Filters. If I could only own one poly, I’d want one with more versatility, but as I said, the OBX is a great 2nd synth if you have the luxury. (On youtube, Retrosound has a great vid comparing the OBX with the OBXa. Yes, they’re different, but IMO, the vid clearly shows why the OBX is the one to get).

Korg Trident Mk I: Can still be had at a good price. Sound is like butter – can be warm, big and trippy. Very organic sounding. A Player’s dream. Blend in a bit of strings, turn up the synth section, take down the brass. : ) (The other synths don’t offer this). Remember too, it has a Filter CV In, so you can add some extra modulation. An underrated dream synth, even though, yes, it can be a bit limiting. But, then again, one synth does not fit all. Is a great partner to any synth on this list, and doesn’t cancel itself out the way a P5 paired with a MemoryMoog might).

Andromeda. Incredible versatility. It’s like a modular in a poly synth. Lush Sounding. Trippy Sounding. It has so many sonic possibilities. More than any other synth on the list. I still get blown away by it. Sadly, a terrible OS, not for the faint of heart, not for people that have trouble making up their mind because you can play on it for hours, and not the hardiest synth; but I’ve managed to keep mine working for years, I love it, and I’d never sell it.

Obvious Omissions:
Jupiter 8. I owned one for 10 years. It was on a rack with a MemMoog and a P5. In my case, it never made it into the mix when compared to the MM or the P5, so I eventually sold it and bought an OBX with the $. I still have the P5 and the MM. The one benefit of them is that JP8’s don’t break very often.

Chroma. A great synth, but I could never get my head around it how it works. I need more knobs. : )

Prophet VS. Kills me not to include it. A desert island synth for me. But, it is a hybrid digital-analog synth, and incl’ing it wouldn’t be in keeping with the purpose of the list.
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Addict

I just had the good fortune to get a lamm memorymoog and...wow. it's just the ultimate analog synth.

You kind of have to play it, use it properly to understand, but lamm is beyond, with the full-blown midi and the stability etc.

My OB's have a sweeter tone, they weep, there are many great analogues, P5s cut and shimmer, the cs-80 sings, but the lamm really is in its own league.

I didn't quite believe the hype myself but now I get it.
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Head

MemMoog LAMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
I just had the good fortune to get a lamm memorymoog and...wow. it's just the ultimate analog synth.

You kind of have to play it, use it properly to understand, but lamm is beyond, with the full-blown midi and the stability etc.

My OB's have a sweeter tone, they weep, there are many great analogues, P5s cut and shimmer, the cs-80 sings, but the lamm really is in its own league.

I didn't quite believe the hype myself but now I get it.

I haven't had the same experience with the LAMM System. I had a MM+, and I found it to be quite stable, etc. Never had any issues with it.

Now, I have a LAMM MM.

I don't like the way the LAMM executes the Stereo function. I wish it had a pan, of which I'm assuming it can't for technical reasons, and I'm not aware of any way that you can change the balance.

I also don't find the instructions to be that clear. They're not terrible. They're just not great. A really good and thorough instructional video from LAMM would be far better. (I never understand how people put all this work into developing a technology/a eurorack module, etc, and then send you flimsy instructions versus a great instructional video. Anyway, I digress...).

(Now, in fairness, I bought the LAMM second hand. Maybe if you buy it directly, Mr. Linhard will spend an hour on Skype with you going over every function...).

It's not that the LAMM is bad. I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze for the extra functions it gives you. For example, I don't think sending your synth to Germany is worth a few more arpeggio patterns. There are lots of plug-ins that will give you that. By the way, I don't mean to diminish the extra features, there are some good ones. I'm simply making an overall point, and it's just one opinion. Others may love the extra features.

The ONE big benefit with LAMM is the MIDI implementation; the fact you can now control so much of the MM with MIDI, and there's no doubt that providing that is a ton of work on the part of LAMM.

So, if that's your reason for adding LAMM, then I totally get it, but I don't think the other features justify the cost of doing it, esp if you have a MM PLUS.
Old 26th October 2019
Gear Addict

The best one : ARP Quadra
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search