The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Top 10 best analog polysynths ever¡¡
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
A number of people are of the belief (I am one of them), that the OB6 is already up there with the classic Sequential, Roland, Oberheim analog synths. It's just so beautiful.

The OB6 core tone can stand up to any other poly, and often sounds better than synths that can do 'more'. Very hands on and honest. Enjoy your new OB6 my guy.
I love this response! Thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I would actually put the JX10 in the top 10 but with the very important proviso that it wouldn’t make it as released but with the vecoven firmware plus a controller.....the I think it then makes it into the top 10.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhonma View Post
I love this response! Thank you!
I do not believe that, because it‘s not true.
Good synth anyway.
What one likes best is subjective, but it lacks all the characteristics associated with a vintage poly synth.
Old 1 week ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

Dont own the Ob6 but from demos its a stand out synth when compared to vintage poly synths , The River is another.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
What do you defines with "best" analog poly synths? There are many analog polys that are good in differnt ways and with different personality. Some sounds smooth other has bite, some are reliable others absolutely not (but sounds great), some has a lot of features others not, some has extremely routing possibilities others not, etc.
This post still stands true. The initial list is full of amazing synths, but I’d classify that first list as “best vintage analog poly-synths ever.” (Even though the Omega isn’t really vintage, it sounds it)

Since the first post, we have had a nice little spike of analog polys and that spike hasn’t crested yet. All of them seem to have some charm to me. Many revile the Prophet 08, but my REV2 gets a ton of use. Does it have a big thick tone like a CS80? Nope, but it has this s***** little buzz going on that makes it great for what I use it for.

We’ve also reached what, IMO, is the final phase of analog vs digital. We’re not at the other side quite yet, but a lot of digital machines or hybrids are doing a great job at sounding analog. When I’m not leaning on it’s exotic waveforms or de-rez feature, my 002 sounds surprisingly analog. When I hear System 8 demos where it’s imitating a Jupiter 8, I can barely hear a difference and the difference doesn’t necessarily make me think it’s worse than the original.

Anyway, I’m sure when any of us go into super-cork-sniffer mode, we’d spot differences, but to someone who wants the flavor of a Jupiter 8 from time to time and doesn’t have $10-15k to drop on one, I think it’s a great alternative. Don’t even get me started on software. I paid $99 for Legend when it was released and now it’s an 8 voice polyphonic synth that continues to amazing me, and it doesn’t have a fan... OK, well I guess technically it uses my CPU’s fan.

Anyway, tremendously amazing time to be alive. For those with the means, the vintage analogs will always be beautiful instruments from a golden age. For those who’s budget is a bit modest, there are great emulations. For those who want some modern features, we’ve got lots to choose from in many different flavors. Ten best analog polys? I can easily think of 30.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTBatmaN View Post
I do not believe that, because it‘s not true.
Good synth anyway.
What one likes best is subjective, but it lacks all the characteristics associated with a vintage poly synth.
The topic is “ten best analog polysynths ever.” Vintage wasn’t even implied.

One thing I notice about vintage polys is they sound so big. Considering their price in relation to what money was worth at the time, they had better sound big! Who had the money to buy more than one synth anyway? (I used to own 1/4 of a Juno 106! ) So that sound made a lot of sense at the time when guitars still reigned as kings of pop music and a band was lucky to have a keyboard player with one analog poly.

Smash cut to the 90s and 00s and digital synths had lots more voices and the cost had come down to where having a couple wasn’t as much as a hardship. Having a giant sound wasn’t as big a priority, especially when as voices multiplied, multitimbral synths and synths with lots of modulation options became common. I remember people saying the Fizmo sounded “thin” and “weedy,” but man, I thought it was so interesting!

So yeah, I concede that my Prophet 6 doesn’t sound as “fat” as the vintage synths of the 70s and early 80s, but I’m actually glad it doesn’t. I need it to sound a little more muscular and precise because I have a lot of other stuff going on. I’ll always have a few tracks of synths, plus guitar, bass guitar and drums. When it’s all alone it doesn’t have the power of the classics, but it holds up better in an ensemble. My REV2 probably has the least “fat” oscillators of any analog I have, but if it had the oscillators of my ATC (based on Moog) it would be akin to having Kim Kardashian’s butt on a gymnast.

One thing I do when I want a huge sound of a huge vintage analog poly that’s in a very sparse mix, I’ll turn to IK Multimedia’s Syntronik. It’s a sample based ROMpler instrument with some good analog modeled filters, and when you use it’s “Minimod” instrument in in poly mode... holy sh!t, but if you want to keep that sound going though a busy mix, you’d better EQ the hell out of it. If you’re not a plugin user, you could do a similar thing by making a multisample based instrument using any analog mono... or just shell out the cash for a vintage analog.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
The topic is “ten best analog polysynths ever.” Vintage wasn’t even implied.
Maybe read the post the person I quoted replied to?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Maybe read the post the person I quoted replied to?
Well screw that guy too!

I’m just poking fun at how there’s such a bent on vintage synths that it’s assumed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

did we find out which was the best? i cba to read the thread but I want to know the winner
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
did we find out which was the best? i cba to read the thread but I want to know the winner
Timbre Wolf
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Timbre Wolf
sneaky, came out of nowhere
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccme View Post

By the way, the same is true of the Waldorf Quantum. AWESOME SYNTH. Incredible Layout. TONS you can do on it. But, pound for pound, it does not sound as beautiful, open and organic as a Prophet VS. The Quantum sounds really, really good, but it sounds a bit clinical. The filter isn't right somehow. It's cold, and it doesn't self oscillate in a beautiful way. Meanwhile the Prophet VS, 35 years older than the Quantum, is better sonically. It just is - and I've AB'd them both.,
AH excuse but the Quantum is a Waldorf and a 3 osc Wavetable synth with a lot of different types of synthesis and the list is growing with each software update it goes miles beyond the Prophet VS in synthesis capabilities. Comparing it to a VS is kinda of funny because the VS was a Sequential aka Dave Smith.

If you are going to compare the Quantum to stuff you need to look at Waves, PPG’s and Q’s as as Microwave XT’s.. It goes beyond those and its a pretty damn amazing synth its also not a Analog Poly which is what this thread is about. Of course neither is the VS both are Hybrids. Digital OSC’s with Analog filters.

I love the VS owned the VS would not consider it better the Quantum its different.
The Quantum sounds great in its own way and its new and supported.

The VS sounds great is now expensive and expensive to upkeep and can be prone to breaking ask me why I still have CEM 5510 chips sitting around my house. As well as fresh memory chips.
AS much as i love VS’s its not worth the money or trouble at this time to own at current pricing.
On the other hand my Quantum is going nowhere lol it sits happily next to my Pro 2,MEK , FS1R and possibly a Pro 3
I did own a P5 and would definitely rate it high in the list. In fact I have owned a lot of the Vintage Analog Polys. I trend towards the modern ones these days based on price and reliability.

There are some great modern Analog Polys as well. I try not to rate whats best I just go for what I like and leave the rest behind.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search