The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The E-mu Command Station XL-7/MP-7/PK-7 and Proteus 2500 tutorials Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 23rd January 2016
When I bought a Korg Taktile 49 a few months back I mapped all the front panel real-time controls of the XL-1 to the Taktile. Everything works great but the other day I noticed that when I change the parameters from the Taktile then try and save the edited patch, it's as if all my tweaks had no effect on the saved patch. Am I doing something wrong, or is this the nature of the beast? I seem to remember all the tweaking on my XL-7 years ago would save with the preset.
Old 26th January 2016
Gear Maniac
hi,
this has something to do with the edit buffer (not being transferred to the main memory)

from the manual :

The Asterisk
When a pattern (or song) has been edited and needs to be saved an asterisk
(*) appears in the display. The Save/Copy LED will also be flashing as a
reminder to save your work. The asterisk and your edits remain in the
single edit buffer even if you change patterns. Edits are only erased by
saving the pattern, editing another pattern, invoking the “Revert To Saved”
feature, or turning the unit off. Saving saves the current pattern and NOT
the edit buffer.
Product ID for MP-7 = 0F (15)
MIDI Device Inquiry Responses
Family
MSB 0x04 (Musical Instruments)
LSB 0x04 (ROM Players)
Members
MSB 0x00 (Proteus 2000 series)
LSB 0x02 Audity 2000
0x03 Proteus 2000
0x04 B-3
0x05 XL-1
0x06 Virtuoso 2000
0x07 Mo’Phatt
0x08 B-3 Turbo
0x09 XL-1 Turbo
0x0A Mo’Phatt Turbo
0x0B Planet Earth
0x0C Planet Earth Turbo
0x0D XL-7
0x0E MP-7
0x0F Proteus 2500
0x10 Orbit 3
0x11 PK-6
0x12 XK-6
0x13 MK-6
0x14 Halo
0x15 Proteus 1000
0x16 Vintage Pro
0x17 Vintage Keys
0x18 PX-7
There is only one edit buffer which is used by the current preset (the preset
shown in the display). You can edit only one preset at a time via SysEx
commands, although these presets can be edited independently of the
current preset edited using the Front Panel. Remote Preset selection is
independent of the edit buffer. Changing the current preset erases the edit
buffer.
Old 29th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post
hi,
this has something to do with the edit buffer (not being transferred to the main memory)

from the manual :

The Asterisk
When a pattern (or song) has been edited and needs to be saved an asterisk
(*) appears in the display. The Save/Copy LED will also be flashing as a
reminder to save your work. The asterisk and your edits remain in the
single edit buffer even if you change patterns. Edits are only erased by
saving the pattern, editing another pattern, invoking the “Revert To Saved”
feature, or turning the unit off. Saving saves the current pattern and NOT
the edit buffer.
Product ID for MP-7 = 0F (15)
MIDI Device Inquiry Responses
Family
MSB 0x04 (Musical Instruments)
LSB 0x04 (ROM Players)
Members
MSB 0x00 (Proteus 2000 series)
LSB 0x02 Audity 2000
0x03 Proteus 2000
0x04 B-3
0x05 XL-1
0x06 Virtuoso 2000
0x07 Mo’Phatt
0x08 B-3 Turbo
0x09 XL-1 Turbo
0x0A Mo’Phatt Turbo
0x0B Planet Earth
0x0C Planet Earth Turbo
0x0D XL-7
0x0E MP-7
0x0F Proteus 2500
0x10 Orbit 3
0x11 PK-6
0x12 XK-6
0x13 MK-6
0x14 Halo
0x15 Proteus 1000
0x16 Vintage Pro
0x17 Vintage Keys
0x18 PX-7
There is only one edit buffer which is used by the current preset (the preset
shown in the display). You can edit only one preset at a time via SysEx
commands, although these presets can be edited independently of the
current preset edited using the Front Panel. Remote Preset selection is
independent of the edit buffer. Changing the current preset erases the edit
buffer.
Thanks! I'll look into it.
Old 30th January 2016
Just got an MP7 with XL7 ROM and spent the whole day trying to figure out why most the instruments were slowly getting louder then softer. I seriously thought something was really wrong with it. Even the kicks were going in and out. Then I realized that the majority of them are crazy phased and if you use one output (all I had free on my mixer was one mono) you will get strange phasing. Panned everything hard left and loud as hell lol. Noob award goes to me.
Old 30th January 2016
Here for the gear

Nice, was it the one on Reverb? I also just bought an MP7, just spent 3 hours getting around, yet nowhere. This thing is a beast, I'm really looking forward to programming actual songs (using an Electribe 2 currently ).

Here's a list of things I've discovered so far:

Boot it up while pressing both Cursor buttons. You'll be taken to a Diag Mode, scroll to Init All User Data and hit enter. If you just bought the thing, this will get rid of pesky unawares, like maybe a panning modulation happening?

There is a OS 2.0, I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to find the links but found it and it works. If you're not at 2.0 or need the manuals or E-loader, this link will be handy:https://francisfisher.me.uk/problem/...egacy-archive/

The models are divided into sections, and everything is there. Read the CSprepReadMe file, and instead of 1.18 like it says (after updating to 1.17 of course) use the Command200 file. Then read the Cmd_Sta_2.0_Addendum file.

Enjoy!
Old 30th January 2016
Yea this is actually my 3rd MP7 the first 2 got used but I got sick of the ROM so I sold them. XL7 Rom is a must. It
s 2.0 OS so I am all set. I figured out that you want to set kick on one track and snare etc... If you are using same kit, make a copy and store in your User location otherwise when you adjust parameters, it will adjust for both kits. I got it from a real nice guy on Reverb, yep. I have had good luck on there. Already I can see this machine filling in gaps left by my other gear. The synth section although Rom, is very complex. Reminds me of my old SQ80 modulate almost anything.
Old 2nd February 2016
I am not a command station ninja, but is it possible to map the program knobs to specific parameters of different kits at the same time??

Like 1 knob adjusts pitch of 808 kick on track one knob under it adjusts the decay but be able to do that to separate tracks at the same time?

I am going to dig and try and figure it out.
Old 2nd February 2016
Figured out for those who care and put each drum sound on its own channel I figured out how to map most each channels parameters in knob controller mode so that you don't have to click through 3 other modes.

Controller mode:

twist knob you want to change

Ctrl is 7=Vol
75= Decay
85=Sustain
77=filter
82=resonance
83=Modulation
3=pitch
so I set mine up as channel 1A= Kick
So...
K1 controls volume so ctrl=7 ch=1A internal
K5 controls pitch so ctrl=3 ch=1A internal
K9 controls decay so ctrl=75 ch=1A internal
K13 controls mod so ctrl=73 ch=1A internal

I did this for the first 4 tracks which I use as Kick/Snare/clap/ and high hats so I can control all 4 channels at the same time from one menu making live use much easier. I did figure out as I said in other post that if you are using the same kit, make a copy and save to your user bank otherwise you will be controlling both with any knob movement.

Works great.
Old 3rd February 2016
Here for the gear

I'm trying to create my performance setup, does anyone know how I would assign external program changes to patterns? I'm having a difficult time finding it in the manual.

Essentially, the EMU is running my Virus kb, and I have my Virus multisetups created to each contain the tones for a particular EMU pattern. The EMU's multisetup does not change, 1-8 are external and 9-16 are internal drums, which stay the same for every pattern. I'd like the EMU to change the multisetup of the Virus according to which pattern I am using on the EMU.

Can I only assign this type of command in Song Mode, or only assign this command to EMU Multisetups, and assign an EMU multisetup to each song? Or not at all?

TBH, I can just click a button on the Virus to change the multisetup, but I'd like to not have to. And also hopefully this way, if I use XMIX, the tones are correct for all of the tracks?
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapterhaus View Post
I'm trying to create my performance setup, does anyone know how I would assign external program changes to patterns? I'm having a difficult time finding it in the manual.

Essentially, the EMU is running my Virus kb, and I have my Virus multisetups created to each contain the tones for a particular EMU pattern. The EMU's multisetup does not change, 1-8 are external and 9-16 are internal drums, which stay the same for every pattern. I'd like the EMU to change the multisetup of the Virus according to which pattern I am using on the EMU.

Can I only assign this type of command in Song Mode, or only assign this command to EMU Multisetups, and assign an EMU multisetup to each song? Or not at all?

TBH, I can just click a button on the Virus to change the multisetup, but I'd like to not have to. And also hopefully this way, if I use XMIX, the tones are correct for all of the tracks?
See the Event List Editor....
Old 4th February 2016
Gear Addict
just the thread I was looking for!

ive recently upgraded from the 1U versions to a command station and need to know the basics.

1) Using the unit in midi sound module mode and using multiple outputs.

2) Sequencing internally (using both the pads and step sequencing via the grid buttons), creating patterns and songs.

Cheers!
Old 4th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrasoul View Post

ive recently upgraded from the 1U versions to a command station and need to know the basics.

2) Sequencing internally (using both the pads and step sequencing via the grid buttons), creating patterns and songs.

Cheers!
C'mon, you could spend like 15 minutes with the manual... actually for that, forget the manual and spend 15 minutes fiddling with the machine.
Old 5th February 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
C'mon, you could spend like 15 minutes with the manual... actually for that, forget the manual and spend 15 minutes fiddling with the machine.
knew somec_nt would say this. RTFM!
Old 6th March 2016
Here for the gear

New MP7

Just picked up an MP7 again after 10years!
Looking forward to having the old beast back again.

This thread is an excellent resource

Thinking I will get a synth/pads Rom... any suggestions?
Or maybe just combine it with my Pulse2 (on its way)
Old 6th March 2016
Here for the gear

Here is a great resource for EMU CS's

Command Station FAQ v2.03
Old 22nd March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbinary View Post
Just picked up an MP7 again after 10years!
Looking forward to having the old beast back again.

This thread is an excellent resource

Thinking I will get a synth/pads Rom... any suggestions?
Or maybe just combine it with my Pulse2 (on its way)
Go for the Xtreme Lead ROM. It's easy to find and pretty cheap. Loads of excellent raw waveforms and some great drum samples too.
Old 23rd March 2016
Here for the gear

Hey friends! I'm using my MP7 as my drum machine and controller to my Virus kb. I'd like to set up a couple of FX, and am totally confused after reading the manual.

I'd like to be able to increase/decrease Reverb or Delay for my drum tracks on the MP7 using the knobs. This is possible I'm assuming, but I have no idea at all how to to go about setting it up. RTFM yeah... still completely confused. Could anyone explain setting this for a single track?

Also, I'd like to utilize the... not sure what to call it, "ratchet" effect? Commonly found in Psytrance, they'll have the hi-hat or kick sample being triggered ultra fast, and then they smoothly bring it down to be in time, as a sort of "fill" I guess. Is this Sample Retriggering? If so, do I achieve this by modulating the division of the master clock, and would it be only for specific tracks?

Maybe that was really confusing. I'll try and find an audio example...
Old 23rd March 2016
This is a little off topic but can anyone tell me if there's another source for these E-MU compatible displays? Just want to shop around a little and also make sure I'm getting the right thing. I don't know about the relevant techie specs and I'd imagine there has to be a little closer or more "official" source than some dude selling 3 in Bristol, UK.

The E-mu Command Station XL-7/MP-7/PK-7 and Proteus 2500 tutorialsEmu Proteus 2000 MO'Phatt Vintage Keys Planet Earth Orbit 3 LED Display | eBay
Old 23rd March 2016
Gear Maniac

Has anyone tried programming these evolving sounds that Balma has explained using the Proteus X or Proteus X2 software?
The Proteus VX (the free one), doesn't allow you to edit the patches with any depth. You can't get at the virtual patch routing.

I have the E-mu Mo-Phatt X and Planet Earth X libraries on CD. They do not work with my mac that I use in the studio. So I put together an older computer to run the older software synths that are no longer around or won't work on a modern OS.

I was thinking of picking up the Proteus X or X2 if they allow you to edit this deeply. I believe they will be able to load the E-mu libraries that I have on CD (the VX can). I haven't been able to find a good idea on how deep the Proteus X and X2 let you dig. Is it as deep as the hardware? If so I may sell my hardware Proteus 2k.
Old 24th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrasoul View Post

Cheers!
1) the command station has 6 outputs, the 3,4,5 and 6 have stereo jack detectors. If you plug a stereo 1/4 jack in one of them, the stereo ring detector will change the output from mono to stereo, and will send a dry signal of the sound in one line and the effect on the second one, or....:

Adding external effects to the Command Station's engine.

get these cables:

Connect the stereo jacks to the suboutputs of the command station and use an effect unit or a synth with line in (ex: Radias, Electribes, Vsynth, waldorf Q, etc etc etc), one mono line to the input, another one to the output. Then, you´ll be able to hear the sound of the command station processed by the external unit through the main outputs.

2) did not understand your second question, sounds too generic.

Last edited by balma; 24th March 2016 at 10:50 AM..
Old 24th March 2016
Lives for gear

I've been spending around 3-4 hours per week, writing a easier to understand tutorial to get the best of this instruments. So much hours of navigating these monsters during the last 10 years, and I still feeling like an amateur with it.
Furthermore, english is not my native language, so I must traslate this bunch of programming ideas of an very complex instrument and make them easy to read, and even interesting to the users. Some new users will find my programming methods tips hard to understand or implement, or they will be nonsense or useless for their applications. I point to owners who are bored of the same stuff on synths (moving the filter knob!!!) , and want create their own sound, and have the willing and perseverance to get the best of what they paid for...
With the command station, you can create your very own sound, and get away from the masses. and you can spend years programming that 512 user patch database, and keep improving, sculpting your sounds till you die....

The standard programmation of the 16 knob controllers for each ROM does not show the power of the instrument, because the programmers had to limit the knob functions thinking on generic applications.

On most of the synths, you get hardware controllers for:

filter
resonance
volume
ADSR Filter envelope parameters (attack, decay, sustain and release of filter)
ADSR amp envelope parameters (attack, decay, sustain and release of amp)
same for the Pitch...
The command station's sounds of each ROM have almost the same generic way to tweak sounds, only a few sounds have different implementation for the sounds, but you can totally mangle the way you modify each one of your sounds with the knobs.

Example
I love pads. But I'm not satisfied with just turning the filter knob to make them come in and out on a mix, and adding resonance to intensify the filter modulation.
Normally, I reprogram the whole 16 knobs to serve my evil intentions and produce a more interesting pad with multiple elements wich can be controlled by separated.

So, I reset the 24 patchcord locations, and start from scratch.

A pad can have several instruments layered (from 4 to 12), and you can control parameters with the knobs for each one of them

Knobs A,B,C and D will modulate the filter of each layer by separated.

Knob E will control the attack level for the 4 layers

Knob F will controll the release level.

Knob G will control the start point of the samples

Knob H will control the resonance (resonance is not realtime on the command station, you won´t hear any effect when holding a sound and moving the resonance knob, you must restart the sound, so I don't tweak it very much)

Knobs I,J,K and L will control the volume of each layer by separated. This will allow me to bring in and out each one the instruments going from simple to complex textures, or interpolate between the 4 layers moving the knobs...

Knob M will modify the pitch, but changing the pitch in different values for each one of the layers, turning a flat pitch pad into a chorded one.

Knob N will use the LFO 1 in eerie ways, like using a freerun LFO to modulate the presence of the AUX envelope, or shrinking/extending/decreasing its stages

Knob O will experiment with the LFO 2, like modulating the presence of the filter envelope, activating a weird patch cord wich sends noise to the filter, or use clock modulators to activate LFO 1 functions, or paning the layers, or activating a patch cord wich uses an envelope to change the chorus in an extended lapse of time, etc, etc

Knob P will add noise, or random elements, or detune the 4 layers in different amounts for each one of the layers, etc...

I spend hours doing this programming till I get a satisfactory result, and then, I save it as a TEMPLATE for PADS.

IF I do this for EACH ONE of the user patches, I'll spend years programming all of them, so I recommend to start from scratch for a limited number of user patches (40-60??), creating specific knob programming depending of the type/category of sound you are working on, and then, using those patches as templates to create the rest of sounds.

For creating a drum patch, you can use a totally different way to program the knobs, and then, making emphasis on programming applications for the start point of the samples, velocity response, etc. Same of other type of sounds like drumkits, or effects, or basses, where you can use your imagination and figure out, what kind of things you want to be in control when playing a bass, or an arpeggio.

BTW, arpeggio tips are in the way... sorry for the delay...
Old 24th March 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by balma View Post
1) the command station has 6 outputs, the ........ through the main outputs.
interesting.

Last edited by Reptil; 24th March 2016 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: shortened ;-)
Old 24th March 2016
Awesome thread. Might have to dust off my mp-7.
Old 26th March 2016
Lives for gear

Understanding E-mu Command Station's Arppegiator

The command station arpeggiator is extremely complex and useful for music composition or live performance.

Beside the classic up/down/forward/octave arpeggios available in most of modern synths, it has a pattern feature, wich allows you to play simple sequences while just holding a note or combining them.

Each ROM comes with its own set of arpeggio patterns, normally from 200 to 300, and they are added to the list when the ROM is loaded. Each sound from the ROMs has selected an arpeggio from its list, and you can assign one of them to each one of your user patches. Several parameters (except notes) can be modified from the patch edition screen, accessible on trigger 15 (ARP/RIFF).

The arppegios from the ROM's list can be assigned to your user sounds and saved with them, but you can't modify the arpeggio notes. However you can:
  1. -increase/decrease their speed by 2x,4x, 1/2x and 1/4x.
  2. -use the velo notes of the pattern arppegio, or set all the notes to the same velocity (range 1 to 127)
  3. -set a gate time from 1 to 100%
  4. -make them increase their pitch to intervals. This means, when you increase the intervals, the arpeggio pattern will play till it ends, and in the next loop, the pitch will increase +1 semitone, then +2, then +3, depending on how long you specified the intervals (range 1 to 15)
  5. -synchronize them with the tempo of the sequencer. So, if you are playing a pattern of the sequencer, and playing arppegios over it, the notes you play will strictly be in time with the sequencer, quantizing the notes you play on realtime. Very useful for realtime performance.
  6. -Pre-Delay the start of the arpeggio. If you leave this feature off, the pattern will start to play the note sequences normally, but you can delay the start of the pattern in a range of 1/32 to 2/1.
  7. -Specify the duration of the arppegio pattern: you can play the whole arpeggio, or just loop it in a segment specified by this feature. When off, the whole arpeggio pattern will play and then loop, but you can specify in a range of 1/32 to 2/1 the length of the sequence. It will stop if the recycle parameter is off
  8. -Post-Delay: if you specify a value on this parameter, in a range of 1/32 to 2/1, the arpeggio will hold for a moment when it reaches its end, and then, will start again.
  9. Recycle: this works only when you specify a new duration for the arpeggio pattern. If you set it ON, the pattern will loop on the segment you specified, if you set it to on/Non-PreDly, the post-delay value will work only once, and after the second loop, it will ignore the Post-Delay value.
  10. Keyboard Thru. When latched, the arpeggio will remain playing, then you can activate Keyboard Thru and perform notes without modifying the looping arpeggio.
  11. Keyboard range: from C-2 to G8.
  12. Note Value: does not work for arpeggio patterns, just for classic arpeggios.

Those are the values you can modify from the patch edition screen, and they are saved individually for each user patch you create.

Other considerations:

MP-7 and XL-7 ROMS have the same arp pattern list! Same 300 arps for both units.
Pattern arpeggios are monophonic.
Any modification on the user patches with the parameters described above, won't modify the arp patterns from the ROMs.

But the most interesting part, comes with the USER arppegios.

There are 100 locations for user patterns. You can create your own pattern sequences, with 32 steps each one of them and several parameters to play with it.
If you like some of the ROM factory arp patterns, you can copy them to the user database, and then, modify them at your will.
User arpeggios are hard-wired. They will remain permanently stored on the ARP menu, no need to perform a saving procedure.
Any modification of the user arpeggios, will consequently modify the sounds wich use them. So, if you modify the user arppeggio 07, and several of your user patches use it, the modifications you just made will affect them. Take this in consideration.

Loading/removing ROMs, loading multisetups, erasing user patches, won't affect in any way your user arpeggio patterns. They will remain intact.

You can save your 100 user arpeggio patterns to an external SYSEX device, with the command:
Send MIDI SYSEX Data
all user arp patterns
OR save them one by one.

The values you can specify on the user arpeggio patterns are:
  1. -Steps: range 1 to 32
  2. -KEY(notes): range -48 to +48. This means, if you play note C3, and the first step has the +2 value, the note played will be D3.
  3. -Velocity: range 1 to 127 or ply. When set to ply, it will play the velocity you pressed instead specifying one.
  4. -Duration: each step can have its own duration. Range 1/32 to 2/1. This means, a pattern can extend longer than 32 steps, because the length of the pattern will be determined by the sum of the length of each one of its steps!
  5. -Repetition: also each step can repeat more than once, in a range of 1 to 32. This also can affect the length of an arpeggio to several measures...
  6. You can also tie one step to the next one, or create a rest (a blank space between notes. This counts as a step), or skip a step, or end a pattern before reaching the step 32.

Note: if you create a pattern with 32 steps, and set any of those steps to the value "end", the pattern will be end there and loop again. The steps after the "end" won't be visible, but that does not mean they were erased. If you remove the "end" and again assign a note to that step, the steps wich were not visible, will appear again.
You can also assign a name to each one of your arpeggio user patterns in the same way you name your sequences.

Arpeggios can easily be send to other synths with MIDI, even with quantization, so they will strictly attach to the sequencers tempo, or be free from quantization.

Despite the arpeggio patterns are mono, you can use the 16 triggers, to play 16 arpeggios at the same time. Each track of sequence, can use a different arpeggio, and play all of them at the same time. So you can combine in a single sequence, multiple user and ROM arpeggios.

Values that you can modify with the knobs:
The knobs can be also used to modify some of the arpeggio values on realtime. These values can be found on the second modulation matrix, PRESET PATCHCORDS.
Arpeggio destinations in the modulation matrix:
Gate time: range -100 to +100
Arp Interval: range -100 to +100
Arp Velocity: range -100 to +100
Arp Rate: range -100 to +100
Arp Extension: range -100 to +100

yes, you can modulate on realtime, the length of an arpeggio, specifying the loop length with knob movements... this can create great effects on realtime performance, and such knob programmation, is specific for each track/user patch, not for a whole sequence or bunch of patterns...

A pattern sequence can use different arpeggios for each one of its tracks, or also using a global arpeggiator for all the tracks, with the M (Master) function.
the Master arpeggiator works exactly as the normal arpeggiator, but its like taking the arpeggio menu of the patch edition, and put it out, on the global menu, and make it more accessible for your sequences. You can specify if your patches will use their assigned arpeggio or the master arpeggio, on one of the lines available on the PRESET menu,
it A: off.
It is normally set to off, but when you move it, it will turn to on, P (wich means it will use the value set on the trigger 15 of the patch edition) or M, using the master arpeggiator

Explaining these functions is necessary to later begin with advanced arpeggio programmation, because the arpeggio becomes even more powerful, when programming patchcords to create alive sounds, full of movement using knobs to modulate playing arpeggios.

As you can see, it is extremely powerful. Honestly, to my eyes, the command statio's arpeggiator makes look the overhyped Stephen Ray's Karma arpeggiator as a bad joke... available on some Korg workstations, and claimed as the best arpeggiator available on modern synths.

Now that I explained how it works, I can go further, and soon explain how to create sounds with them, producing complex sequences wich can morph on extended intervals of time, just using a single patch.
Yeah, with these features, a single patch can become a whole sequence of sounds and notes....

coming soon....

Pd:
I also want to say thanks for all the contributions from several owners....
It seems that a blank ROM will be available soon according to the Yahoo groups. Command Stations are more alive than ever, more than a decade after their release and even without the sponsorship of the company that created them, there are several knowlegeable people interested on them.
With an Ultra sampler (wich can burn ROMs), you will be able to use your own samples on the command station's engine. Too much....

Last edited by balma; 26th March 2016 at 08:31 AM..
Old 26th March 2016
Lives for gear

Good to have you back Balma!
Old 31st March 2016
Here for the gear

Is there a way to assign a knob to control the FX send of a single track?

Is there also a way to assign a knob to control the FX send level of a Sub Out?
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

I have a question for the knowledgeable here: Picked up a Proteus 2500 recently (had Command Station in the past), and would like to play it as synth module. Using an EWI as the controller. Are there particular aspects of the Proteus structure that would work well with breath control? It would be sending a continuous controller that varied moment to moment, all the time. The usual destinations for it are volume, filter resonance, VCA gain or the like. The depth of the proteus design makes me think there might be something unusual that would respond well to that sort of control. Any suggestions to try?
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapterhaus View Post
Is there a way to assign a knob to control the FX send of a single track?

Is there also a way to assign a knob to control the FX send level of a Sub Out?
yes, enter preset edition mode, press the trigger 11 CORDS, there you'll access the PRESET PATCHCORDS menu. The first 8 destinations are for controlling the amount of the FxASend1 to FxBSend4, with a range of -100 to 100. Put the knobs you want to use to control the FX amount on the source. (MidiA to MidiP)
This works no matter if you are using the main or the sub outputs.

The MIX OUTPUT wich can be access from the global menu, must be "use preset" at the midi channel you are using
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

funny thing is i was digging into the arpeggiator of my new MP7 yesterday, what an amazing machine, cant wait till the flash roms are available i got an emu ultra that i adore and thing are going to get pretty awesome if this does happen!
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
I have a question for the knowledgeable here: Picked up a Proteus 2500 recently (had Command Station in the past), and would like to play it as synth module. Using an EWI as the controller. Are there particular aspects of the Proteus structure that would work well with breath control? It would be sending a continuous controller that varied moment to moment, all the time. The usual destinations for it are volume, filter resonance, VCA gain or the like. The depth of the proteus design makes me think there might be something unusual that would respond well to that sort of control. Any suggestions to try?
Any parameter wich can be modified on realtime.
you must dig a LOT the modulation matrix (available on trigger 10, BEND/OUTPÛT) in order to find out wich sounds better.
The 50 different filters can be modulated in multiple ways and most of them do not behave like common filters does, only the classic ones like Smooth, Classic, Steeper, Shallow, DEeper, Band-pass1 and Band-pass2.

You could try the breath controller over the 8 different VOW filters, wich modulate vowel formants. you can modulate 4 different filters at the same time with your external controller or by separated. There are so many things you can do with the mod matrix, but most of them will sound "experimental"

Unfortunately, the Resonance (Q) on your Proteus/Command Station cannot be controlled on realtime. In order to modulate the resonance, you must retrigger the note. Same for the sample start point, you cannot "travel" across any sample (only transwave synthesis) on realtime like a fizmo does.

Actually I have a breath controller, but I have never used it on the Emu, I use it on a Yamaha EX5, wich has VL synthesis...

Check out pages 124, 125, and deeply, everything concerned to how connect sources (controllers) to destinations.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search