The E-mu Command Station XL-7/MP-7/PK-7 and Proteus 2500 tutorials
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Balma, glad you're back!
Old 4th June 2020
Here for the gear

Hi,
i have recently purchased an MP7. I am a complete noob in electronic music production so i am reading the manual trying to understand the basic use of my MP7.
I noticed that there are no songs and no demo sequences stored in my device, but i can play patterns. Is there any way to restore or load factory songs and sequences? I had a look and found Eloader1.1 and files containing factory patterns and songs...
Thanks
Old 4th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHC View Post
Hi,
i have recently purchased an MP7. I am a complete noob in electronic music production so i am reading the manual trying to understand the basic use of my MP7.
I noticed that there are no songs and no demo sequences stored in my device, but i can play patterns. Is there any way to restore or load factory songs and sequences? I had a look and found Eloader1.1 and files containing factory patterns and songs...
Thanks
Hi Tony,

after reading your question, I had a go and videoed the way I did it, with my mistakes and difficulties included.

It is on youtube -

Hope it is of some use.
There are other videos on the Command Station on my channel which may hopefully assist with other areas too.

Great to have another user in the community!

Have you had a look at the E-MU Command Station User Group on facebook?

https://www.*********************1932402260373447

Best regards!
Old 5th June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi,
thanks for reply. Well, i found factory sequences (i was hitting wrong song+pattern buttons in mode/view section instead those in edit section). About songs, if i press Song button in mode/view section i find as first song "000 untitled" with lenght 100, it has red light on all 16 tracks but if i press "play", the sequencer starts but there are no sounds (levels af all tracks are at 127); all other songs are empty and named "empty sequence". Had a look at your video, but i don´t have a midi to usb cable at the moment...
Anyway, i have just joined that facebook group. I think i will ask a lot of questions there, because i am really a complete noob in electronic music production, i never used a device to make music in my life and moreover i am italian and i don´t speak english very well unfortunately...
Thank you again for your help
See you on facebook group!
Old 5th June 2020
Gear Head

Silent patterns and songs

Hi all,
whilst making the previous video, I found some silent songs and patterns on my MP7 Command Station.
After a quick explore, I found a possible solution to the problem.
Some PRESETs and PATTERNS were missing/not installed???
Therefore, I made a quick video of what I found, and how to bring back the sound...

So, here it is, for your delectation (??!)

Old 16th June 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
this jam is entirely XL-7, one take, no edits

some compression + distortion + mastering after:

Old 25th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hi, I've decided not to get rid of my defective MP7. There are a few videos online showing how to repair the data wheel and buttons, so I'm going to give it a shot.

I pulled the MP7 out of the box and listened to a couple of the songs and patterns already on it. I like what I'm hearing.

I'd like to audition the sounds it has, especially the brass samples. Any tips on how I can do that?
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To those that have a command station, know any resources for wooden end cheeks or possibly rack ears? I'm not sure I want to rack mine but curious about it.
Gear Head

Auditioning the sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Hi, I've decided not to get rid of my defective MP7. There are a few videos online showing how to repair the data wheel and buttons, so I'm going to give it a shot.

I pulled the MP7 out of the box and listened to a couple of the songs and patterns already on it. I like what I'm hearing.

I'd like to audition the sounds it has, especially the brass samples. Any tips on how I can do that?
Hi psionic11,

when you say you would like to audition the sounds,
if you explain more fully what it is you would like to achieve,
and clarify what you mean by 'sounds',
it will help in assisting you.

For example - If buttons are not working, there may be a way to use a MIDI controller/PC to send sysex to change the preset number and various parameters.
If you wish to just hear a particular category of presets, then you can change just a sub category and audition all those specific presets.

I assume that you know that one of the strengths of the Command Station (CS) is it's ability to be able to sculpt and shape/totally transform the sounds ?

Briefly, the presets are made up of up to 4 layers,
each layer has a waveform -
so would you like to audition all the waveforms or the presets?

For the presets, there are audition riffs available - you can select the audition riffs for each preset... you select the preset, press the AUDITION button, listen to the sound.
You could record your own track in the CS and just keep changing the preset as it plays... you could edit the layers in a preset, whilst your track plays, maybe even program an external sequencer to play through each of the presets and play a MIDI tune using the mysterious sysex to automate the procedure....

Too many possibilities for my brain.... hence why I ask about narrowing down, focusing closer, defining, what you would like to do...

From the Manual Page 242
Audition Riff Selection
A Riff is a short pre-recorded musical phrase which can be anything from a single note to a full 16-track sequence.
This function allows you to assign a Riff to a Preset.
The Preset Riff will be used when the front panel Audition button is pressed.
Listening to the Riffs is a quick way to learn the sounds in MP-7.
If a preset has hidden tricks or controllers, these will be shown off in the Riff.
The Riffs themselves cannot be modified.

Play Solo Layers
When constructing multilayer sounds it is often useful to turn off one or more of the layers so you can hear what you’re doing!
This feature allows you to temporarily solo individual layers or listen to them in any combination.
This screen differs from the other Preset Edit screens in that it is NOT saved with the preset. The values reset each time you exit the Preset Edit menu.
Solo is activated by setting any layer to On (On = the layer is being Soloed).
Any layers set to On will play and any layers set to Off will be muted.
If all layers are set to Off, then Solo mode ends and all layers play normally.
When you exit the Preset Edit menu, all layers play normally

Looking forward to assisting further if possible sir!

Maybe I could even attempt a video demonstrating for you, if you are willing to more descriptively express what you would like to achieve and the problems or challenges you have

Best regards
Gear Head

Quote:
Here is one way of doing it, there must be other ways too!

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobloz View Post
Here is one way of doing it, there must be other ways too!

Perfect, thanks! Lots of interesting stuff here.

I read the manual a couple years ago, as well as most of this thread before I got my MP7. Looks like it's time to re-visit them!

It seems there is a lot of warbly sounds. I think I should do a factory reset.
Gear Head

Warbly sounds...?

Quote:
Perfect, thanks! Lots of interesting stuff here.

I read the manual a couple years ago, as well as most of this thread before I got my MP7. Looks like it's time to re-visit them!

It seems there is a lot of warbly sounds. I think I should do a factory reset.
I'm interested in these "warbly sounds" that you mention... any chance of uploading a quick video so I can see which presets are doing it, and check the presets on mine to see if they are different?

If you have the names of the presets with the warbles, I could check what mine sound like - I could record them so you can hear what they sound like too if you wish ?
Old 26th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobloz View Post
I'm interested in these "warbly sounds" that you mention... any chance of uploading a quick video so I can see which presets are doing it, and check the presets on mine to see if they are different?

If you have the names of the presets with the warbles, I could check what mine sound like - I could record them so you can hear what they sound like too if you wish ?
After I did a factory reset, that warbly sound over most of the patches went away. Thx for checking in.
Old 28th June 2020
Gear Head

I have read balma’s excellent tutorials, but it seems, having a single ROM is not ideal. Since the factory ROMs are so darn expensive, has anyone successfully burn their own flash RAM using the E6400 burner?
Old 28th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i'm constructing one right now with 300 samples, best of the other ROMs (V synth, Orbit, SP1200, Drumulator) +80 single cycle waveforms and some own samples of my Vermona Per4mer

i'm doing it in Emulator 3X & then transfering to my E-Synt Ultra

i have to choose which samples to include cause writing your own RAM is confined to 15.9 MB (even with a 32MB flash RAM)

current installed ROMs in my MP7 : XL7, Pure Phat, Beat Garden

for the record : i paid as much for the flash RAM as you'd pay for a ROM, more than you'd pay for a single/complete module
Old 28th June 2020
Gear Head

That’s cool! So which flash RAM did you end up using? What makes them so expensive? Rarity?
Thanks,
Old 28th June 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
yeah, where do you buy the RAM? i would love to burn one with my e5000 ultra
Old 29th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i put a wanted ad in my local (synth) forum & after a month orso somebody responded
somebody with an ULTRA but no need for the flash ram
i paid 250€ for 32MB , which i think is a fair price, given the rarity & the prices of the (rare) ROM's
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Head

Thanks, at those prices, the DIY RAM approach is not really feasible... Oh well.
Old 2nd July 2020
Gear Head

Switching from pattern play mode to Grid edit mode

Hi all,
just a quick and basic walk through of switching from pattern play mode to Grid edit mode.

From the manual, page 34 Sequencer Controls -

"While a pattern is playing, press and hold the Play button and press Record to jump into Grid Edit mode."

Also, may be worth having a read of the v2.0 additions (PDF is in the files section of the Facebook Command Station User group) -

https://www.*********************1932...76427065970966

There are many features added in v2.0 which are not in the original operator manual - eg

New Performance Features

Loop Section
XMix
Restart/Pattern Fire Key
Direct Pattern Access
Trigger Mode Quick Select
Pattern Change Tempo Hold
Repeat Button Works during Playback
Mute Hold
Key Up Layer

New Sequencer Features

First Note Record
Replace Record
Record Mutes in Song Mode
Song Mode Insert Enhancement
Grid Record Gate
Grid Record Knob Input
Explode/Combine Tracks
Apply Clipboard Settings
Scale/Shift Timing
Track Select Wraparound
Track Select Shift Key
Quick Track Erase
Compact Flash Now
Other Changes & Bug Fixes
Manual Additions

Old 4th July 2020
Gear Head

Just curious, did anyone back up the examples given by balma, those under his "la-palida" Soundcloud account? His other account does not seem to have those earlier files, or perhaps the names got changed?
Old 16th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
Just curious, did anyone back up the examples given by balma, those under his "la-palida" Soundcloud account? His other account does not seem to have those earlier files, or perhaps the names got changed?
Yes! The tutorials would be much more useful or impactful if you could hear the example files.
Old 17th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Since balma has not been around this thread for awhile, I doubt these tracks will re-appear anytime soon, anyway, if someone can share the XL-7 and MP-7 banks (.exb), then we can at least try to follow the tutorials by re-creating the patches using Emulator X3 - it's better than nothing...
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hey E-MU slutz! If you are having noise issues with your Command Station (or other E-MU gear) I have found a simple and cost effective solution! I realize this isn't an issue with all units but mine sounds like a fuzz bomb.

Simply run the SPDIF out of the Command Station to a coaxial compatible DAC. Then, to crush the noise even further you will want to use a USB battery bank, you will never need to gate noise again

I am using a Schitt Modi 3 24bit which costs $99 + shipping
https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

A USB battery bank isn't a requirement but totally isolates your output signal from grounding issues!

Hope this helps some of you!
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Oh hey,

Sorry for how off-topic this is (but this is one of the few active threads involving most of the E-Mus!!!) but I have a question for anyone owning a Planet Phatt; Proteus 2000 or; 2500...

I'm looking for specific sounds from an E-mu module. They appear from approximately 28 seconds into this track below (the clicking sounds):

https://youtu.be/KODj4lDvRS4

I’ve been told that these are preset sounds on an E-Mu module however, have received conflicting information as to which one- some say it’s from Planet Phatt, others from the Composer Rom, others from the Proteus-2000 and others from the PROTEUS 2500 (allegedly the “Jungle Club” preset). If anyone knows and could let me know which module/ bank/ preset it’s from that would be incredibly appreciated!
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
another unrelated random question -- does anyone have any documentation or explanation what the Ethernet port and extra switch are in the Command Stations (and probably the 2500)?

The circuit board below the main display (where the Tempo is often displayed) has an extra tact switch with no front panel opening and there's an Ethernet port mounted on the board as well.

Factory testing/setup only? Weird though since you have to drop the board from the front panel to get access.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I've heard it might be in the "Stuff 2" preset in Composer Bank 3 (no.45), so if anyone could check, that would be much appreciated!
📝 Reply