The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The E-mu Command Station XL-7/MP-7/PK-7 and Proteus 2500 tutorials Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th August 2018
Here for the gear

I need help I just got a Proteus 2500 command station. When I got it it and went to the Volume selection on the quick edit etc. button, I saw midi lights on knobs 1 ~ 4. Those 4 knobs adjusted the volume of 4 sounds allowing me to mix them. This was using an external keyboard transmitting on only one channel.

Since I reset the machine and upgraded it to OS version 2 I lost those patches and can not for the life of me figure out how to get 4 voices (layers) to respond to one midi channel.

I have read the manual extensively and spent hours trying every possible setting on the synth. I only want the machine as a sound module with realtime control but it seams to be more geared to be used as a sequencer and the manual is written to emphasize those features.

The only reason i know the machine can do what I want is that when I first got it that is want it did
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Maniac
i don't fully understand your question, but that can be caused by the excellent italian pinot grigio i'm consuming

- every preset is tied to one MIDI channel, so you can control 4 layers in one go...

you just have to assign the controllers A-D to the level of one/other layer

or, you could assign 4 control knobs to 4 different presets with just one layer and assign/override the MIDI channel on 3 of them so them line up on the same MIDI channel
Old 15th August 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you for getting back to me "assign/override the MIDI channel on 3 of them" is what I don't know how to do.

I need 4 sounds to play on one midi channel. Can you explain where I assign midi channel to the layer or get 4 sound to play from one midi channel
Old 16th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by busker4242 View Post
Thank you for getting back to me "assign/override the MIDI channel on 3 of them" is what I don't know how to do.

I need 4 sounds to play on one midi channel. Can you explain where I assign midi channel to the layer or get 4 sound to play from one midi channel
Sorry short post:
You can layer sounds in the synth engine. Look there instead of trying to assign controls to multiple sounds. There are indeed 4 levels.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:

in the MIDI page / button you can assign internal channels to MIDI channels
(normally you'd go full multitimbral but nothing/nobody refrains you to assign all channels to 1 MIDI channel e.g.)

every internal channel plays one preset

every preset can play 4 layers/sounds at once (or two, or one, ....)
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you for all the posts saying that it can do it ..........

Can someone post how to do it please
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear
Start at page 182 in the manual...

Presets contain the 4 layers, presets assigned to tracks, tracks assigned midi channels.

so page 182 explains the 4 layer architecture, rather well, then how to set up splits or any other options you want.
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

I re-read that section and see that 4 sounds can be played at once (Stacking) however after assigning PATCHCHORDs #1 MIDI A thru MIDI D to AmpVol layers 1 thru 4 and saving the preset......... alas The knobs 1~4 still don't adjust the volume of the layers.

Can anyone explain in detail what menus i need to go to, to get the volume function to work with knobs 1 ~ 4 adjusting each of the layers volume.

Thanks
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

I'm loosing my mind with this thing can anyone help
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Maniac
then what are you hearing if you turn the knobs?
you sure the key ranges overlap for all four layers?

The four rows of knobs always control the preset on the basic MIDI channel (the channel showing on the preset select screen), when the control switch is set to Quick Edit - “Knobs Preset Quick Edit” mode must be enabled in the Controllers menu

be sure that the initial controller amount is set to 0 (for all four knobs) if you want to up the volume &
the cord amount is +100

if the programmable knobs are set to "ext" then they will not control the program/preset (controllers button, page programmable knobs) - if you are in Program mode of the controller function select
Old 20th August 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks Tiger

I have the Pattern and Preset lights illuminated in Mode View

When Quick Edit or Program are lit the knobs change the filter etc

The screen says C02A V070 P64 A:P user
004 gtr:Clean String

Track Channel Up and down buttons go through the voices in the preset (C01A, C02A, C03A and C04A)

When Volume is selected (with the Quick edit Button) the knob ABC or D adjust the volume of the sound on the voice selected with Track Channel

What I can not understand is how play all 4 sounds at once and to get the 4 ABC&D knobs to adjust their volumes.

Can you get me there

Adam
Old 20th August 2018
Here for the gear

the key ranges overlap
initial controller amount is set to 0

MIDI is Omni
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Maniac
adam,
you are not understanding the CS/2500 right
C01(a), C02(a) etc are presets on MIDI channels(interface a) so not voices

like mentioned it is not possible to control different channels/presets on the CS/2500 at the same time

you'll need a sequencer for that (or a MIDI keyboard divided in 4+ zones/channels)
MIDI should be MULTI, not OMNI as this will rechannelize different MIDI channel information to the current selected preset

with Volume selected you should be able to control the volume of all (first) 16 channels/presets
if you press the MIX button you should see the volume change on the first 16 channels if you turn the knobs and with Volume selected on the Quick edit button

that is something completely different than be able to quick edit the volume of the 4 layers of ONE preset

Last edited by tiger001; 20th August 2018 at 02:27 PM..
Old 20th August 2018
Here for the gear

is it possible to to quick edit the volume of the 4 layers of ONE preset with a keyboard sending one midi channel
Old 20th August 2018
Here for the gear

or is it possible to set the Channels to receive the same midi channel

I am trying to mix sounds together which is what I the synth did when I got it but after the update I can not figure out how it was setup
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Head

On a separate note/issue to the current theme anyone know if the sequencer can do quantize with a swing feel I suppose is what I am looking for, think fanfare for the common man, been playing around with the sequencer but cannot find anything that does not quantize like a straight beat? Not sure of the terminology so sorry if I am talking cobblers but hopefully the Fanfare reference will describe the feel I am after, or is this not possible on this unit?
Old 21st August 2018
Gear Head

Ok found the solution myself 16t seems to be the answer.
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
or is it possible to set the Channels to receive the same midi channel

I am trying to mix sounds together which is what I the synth did when I got it but after the update I can not figure out how it was setup
Did you solve this (and any other issues you wanted solutions for)? If not I will see if there's anything I can add to try to help.

Recommendation: If you don't understand Multis (as in saving and restoring "Multisetups"), I recommend learning how to use them. Just a guess, but maybe when you upgraded to OS2.0 the multi that you had been using got changed.

Steve
Old 20th September 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks Steve
I ended up buying an Ensoniq SQ R and using its MIDI master controller features to split one midi channel input to 4 output midi channels.

This allows me to mix four sounds using the Volume and edit function.
Old 25th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poumtschak View Post
IIRC, there is no battery in the Command Station.

Everything is stored in flash memory.

Edit: while we're at opening our units, this trick solves the infamous humming noise in the headphones

Copper Foil Tape FTW.

Sorry to wake up an old thread but i just picked up an mp-7 and it has the hum...

Where am I adding the foil tape?
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven E. View Post
Sorry to wake up an old thread but i just picked up an mp-7 and it has the hum...

Where am I adding the foil tape?
I didn't use foil tape, but what you need is a good ground connection between the upper chassis and the lower chassis. make sure you clean the strip where they will touch, then tighten the screws well. If that doesn't work, a strip of copper (without adhesive) along the contact point can help the connection.
Old 26th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
I didn't use foil tape, but what you need is a good ground connection between the upper chassis and the lower chassis. make sure you clean the strip where they will touch, then tighten the screws well. If that doesn't work, a strip of copper (without adhesive) along the contact point can help the connection.

Awesome!

Took it apart, used electronics cleaner on the top and bottom points of contacts ~ boom! Hum is gone!

Thanks a mil!

Old 30th October 2018
Here for the gear

MP7 controlling external synths

Heya MP7 experts I've looked around to find an answer to a couple of things and haven't quite found the answer. Also I'm having trouble finding it in the manual..

Basically I'm using my Mp7 as my main sequencer for a live setup, so I'm trying to create a default pattern with a bunch of presets that will give me a solid and flexible setup as soon as I boot it up.

I will be controlling six external synths/drum machines and will also use a couple of channels of the internal synth engine. the 16 main tracks are adequate for this, as I improvise on the spot, erasing notes on tracks and creating new ones in their place. This is how I like to play.

I've been successful in playing a number of shows using the MP7 as a sort of midi loop pedal, which is what i got it for, but now I'm looking to delve a bit deeper and set up the knobs and Arpeggiators to control my external synths better.

So my first question is this: How do I set up the MP7 to have either the Quick Edit knobs (preferable as this is the default setting for the knobs when powered on), or the Program knobs, to be different for each track/channel, so that I can program them to control different aspects of each external synth.

I would really prefer that when i select the Basic track, these knobs change CC values specific to each synth. They need to be different CC values as each synth has different maps of midi CC input.

I have created seperate presets for each external synth, but I still can't quite work out how I'm meant to program the knobs.

I would also like to be able to record changes to these CC values on the fly just as i do with notes.

I hope it's possible!
Thankyou!!
I hope that makes sense
Old 9th November 2018
Here for the gear

Programming the 16 knobs is through the patchcord menu for each layer of a preset.

Also: From the Manual
Programmable Knobs mode
If the “Programmable Knobs” parameter in the Controllers menu is set to
“Ext,” or “Both,” the system sends MIDI controller messages when you turn
the Controller knobs. Each knob can be programmed to send on any MIDI
channel (01A-16B) and on any continuous controller number from 1-95.
The knobs only generate a message when you move a knob to a new value.
The Controller Knob LEDs always remain off in this mode. See “Programmable
Knobs” on page 125.
Old 11th November 2018
Gear Nut

Just a quick thank you for this thread as I start to learn my Command Station.
Old 29th November 2018
Having a new issue. I installed a new rom and The digital out stopped working. While testing I figured out that if the audio output is plugged into any input on the same mixer (Roland mx1) the digital output works fine.

Is this a grounding issue?

If it is a grounding issue Can anyone direct me a good way to permanently fix it other than “attach a wire” which was mentioned earlier in this thread. Attach it where? From what to what?

Last edited by Plaeground; 30th November 2018 at 02:24 AM..
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Maniac
I recently put my Proteus 2000 through an unexpected reboot when connecting analog outputs to a MOTU 2408 that was already connected to the s/pdif out of the P2000. I suspect there are some Analog/Digital grounding issues in the architecture.
Old 15th January 2019
Here for the gear

Hi all and big ups to Balma, Dr. Steven, tiger001 and many others for sharing their experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrasoul View Post
hi,

i have an issue with my mp7.

when i turn it on, all of the lights come on and nothing else happens.

does anyone know what the issue is and can i fix it easily?

cheers,
Last year I got P2500. It was working fine. Then I moved accross EU, storing Proteus with other gear in big and hefty 19U rack box. After re-establishing studio I had similar issues like elektrasoul. I tried to re-seat the ROM (have only default one inside) and cables but problem still persisted. Becoming desperate, I repeated the re-seating procedure like 3 times (never using brute force) and after the 3rd attempt all was fine. It showed up that one of the boards connection cables was not properly plugged and P2500 was stalling during boot up. All is running well since then.

Some years ago I was happy user of XL-7. I still miss it. It has the best panel text contrast ratio of all CSs. I sold it because of it's bulkiness and because of the planned move. Collected Beat Garden and Rop Papen's Techno Construction Yard ROMs which I sold separately to get more cash for moving. Miss them too.
E6400 Ultra (in fact any E-MU box) is a great 'module' to go along with Command Stations as it shares the architecture and parameter scheme. It feels nearly native to map those 16 knobs to Ultra's patch cords.

Here's a song I made with those two.
Neekoleetoo by cube48 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Goal with this song was to explore several things. First was switching the FX channel presets to change between various combinations of longer/shorter reverbs and delay times and second to try out live pattern switching in song mode recording. What I found really cool was that it's possible to record parameter automation changes across/over pattern changes. Have to do this again.

When I bought the XL-7, some buttons had no click action anymore even though they were fully functional. One day I saw an E-MU Keys control panel as a spare part from broken instrument on e-bay and bought it immediately as certain components are identical to CS. Harvested all the like-new buttons, encoder, potentiometers, light pipes etc. and replaced those few loose buttons. Ohh ... I love refurbishing old gear, it felt like new.

Now I'm having a blast with P2500, re-reading this awesome thread after some years again. What really helps with sound design is Prodatum editor. Making and copying template presets is a breeze. Also the patching process is much faster. And if not in the mood for computer screen, P2500 front panel is still there
It took a bit of time to get the closed loop connection through two MIDI patchbays in studio but it runs fine now. Also lesson learned that it's safer to use external MIDI controller/keyboard when assigned through Prodatum. Trying to merge Prodatum's sysex with keyboard MIDI data in Roland A-880 patchbay was causing various issues.

The hacker in me want's to do this P2500 mod:
Emu_P2500_Mod (3) | Emu Proteus 2500 Command Module Modified… | Punk Disco | Flickr
Emu_P2500_Mod (1) | Emu Proteus 2500 Command Module Modified… | Punk Disco | Flickr
Emu_P2500_Mod (2) | Emu Proteus 2500 Command Module Modified… | Punk Disco | Flickr

If I kick my self to do this, I'll share the experience here

Looking forward to spend nice evenings while practicing all those great tips from this thread. Cheers!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search