The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The E-mu Command Station XL-7/MP-7/PK-7 and Proteus 2500 tutorials Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaispirits View Post
So mines arrived (XL7) and is as glorious as I remember it. Complete with main jumpy encoder - which I actually don’t mind as it’s a bit nostalgic struggling to navigate without leaping backward and forward randomly. Sure that novelty will wear off pretty quick...

A bit off topic from the tutorials but I’d like to hear if anybody is using theirs in a live set up and how they go about performing with it. Also what other gear are people using with it? What plays nice alongside. I used to pair mine with an sp808 but dread the idea of using Zip disks again
On the jumpy encoder: DeOxit did the trick on mine. You can take off the bumpers and pop off the knob to reach most of the encoder for cleaning. Mine was almost unusable and works like new now.

As for gear: I mostly use mine as a real-time sequencer/midi-looper/master-clock. I have two keyboard controllers (Edirol PCR-500/800) and a KMI Keystep going in and a collection of synths and drum machines on the outs (P08, Radias, a few Boutiques, MicroBrute, DrumBrute, et al). I also send clock out to all my effects units, my RC-505 (for looping guitar/bass) and anything else that might benefit from sync.

I love it as a "CPU" for my setup. When I'm jamming, it lets me stay completely DAWless. Just flip on the power and I can start going.

-Chris
Old 3rd March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by synack View Post
On the jumpy encoder: DeOxit did the trick on mine. You can take off the bumpers and pop off the knob to reach most of the encoder for cleaning. Mine was almost unusable and works like new now.
Thanks for the advice - it’s starting to really disrupt my flow and enjoyment factor now.

Regarding the sequencer - I’m just scratching the surface during my manual work through sessions - but any tips on getting the most out of it. Microedits emulation of Plocks, nudging notes, changing step lengths of individual tracks - can these things be done on the fly or am I expecting too much of the yellow one?
Old 4th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks for the advice - it’s starting to really disrupt my flow and enjoyment factor now.

Regarding the sequencer - I’m just scratching the surface during my manual work through sessions - but any tips on getting the most out of it. Microedits emulation of Plocks, nudging notes, changing step lengths of individual tracks - can these things be done on the fly or am I expecting too much of the yellow one?
Im also using it more like a Boss looper, realtime as in "what you play on a keyboard is what you get back" sometimes i set the quantize before i start recording (then u dont need to stop the sequencer to quantize)...sometimes i dont and have it a little loosy goosy...if i like to quantize it or shuffle it after it is recorded you have to stop the sequencer....i personally dont like it as a oldschool step sequencer using the knobs...i think something like the ZAQUENCER is better for that.
What i will explore more on is the mod matrix with clock dividers and noise and triggers for more experimental sequencing...also use the arp patterns as sequencers...if i use the arps i will not be able to record on the fly (i think?!?!?) but i can use different step length per track...and also with the mod matrix i think i can manage to make some more random probability based sequencing (im hoping) ...but that will not output midi i guess (arp will output midi i think but prob. not the mod matrix triggering stuff)...just some ideas im going to look at.
Hope to have time to explore all that soon...hope that gave you some ideas.

Good luck
Old 4th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaman View Post
What i will explore more on is the mod matrix with clock dividers and noise and triggers for more experimental sequencing
Oh man THIS! All.day.long

If that’s possible and you know the best way to patch it please share! I’ve just upgraded my iPad with a view to sequencing and controlling my samples in Beatmaker from the XL7, a few tracks running internally on the XL7 for the lush pads and then adding an analog mono later. Powerhouse little set up.
Old 6th March 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Quote:
So mines arrived (XL7) and is as glorious as I remember it. Complete with main jumpy encoder - which I actually don’t mind as it’s a bit nostalgic struggling to navigate without leaping backward and forward randomly. Sure that novelty will wear off pretty quick...

A bit off topic from the tutorials but I’d like to hear if anybody is using theirs in a live set up and how they go about performing with it. Also what other gear are people using with it? What plays nice alongside. I used to pair mine with an sp808 but dread the idea of using Zip disks again

As for gear: I mostly use mine as a real-time sequencer/midi-looper/master-clock. I have two keyboard controllers (Edirol PCR-500/800) and a KMI Keystep going in and a collection of synths and drum machines on the outs (P08, Radias, a few Boutiques, MicroBrute, DrumBrute, et al). I also send clock out to all my effects units, my RC-505 (for looping guitar/bass) and anything else that might benefit from sync.

I love it as a "CPU" for my setup. When I'm jamming, it lets me stay completely DAWless. Just flip on the power and I can start going.

-Chris
I second the deoxit. I love the command station sequencers. Still use one myself. It is nice to be able to start making music without a computer screen. Edit to add in that I see how much of a lurker I am.. Sheesh 5 years and only 3 posts.
Old 7th March 2018
Here for the gear
Well, now that I have found all of you lovely people, I have a dead shell of an MP7. (don't fret I have a working 2500) But what I need is a power supply. So if anyone has a command station power supply, drop me a line!
Old 8th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

Like mastaman, I use mine mostly like a live looper, but for MIDI.

Some random tips:

My general workflow is to lay down the 1-2 bar parts first, using a 1-2 bar pattern length and then extend the pattern (using the Pattern menu rather than the "Ln" field in the main display - the latter doesn't copy the notes/events, it just extends; the menu lets you copy the pattern to the new bars) to get the 4/8/12/16/etc parts. AFAICT, all the tracks must be the same length, so working this way lets me do the smallest amount of work for the short parts.

I've found the note/event editors in the Pattern menu to be usable enough for real time tweaking, though just as often I'll just erase the take and redo it. For drum parts, in particular, the editor is nice to push things just head of the beat - the high resolution lets you pull of some subtle effects.

I use a number of external synths with it. For those, I set the preset to "Default", which doesn't play any internal sounds (from the Present screen, select the class (kit/bas/etc) and just spin the encoder to the first setting). I also set the MIDI target to "ext" on these tracks. MIDI routing on it is incredibly flexible and I exploit that to the fullest to control the external gear.

Almost everything can be done on the fly (or appear to be if you're careful with your timing ). Switching to Grid Rec mode is one of the only things that I regularly do that requires a full stop of the track. If I'm trying to keep things flowing, I just time the stops with the beat or have something playing the Boss looper.

-Chris
Old 10th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosrite1 View Post
I completed turning my Mp7 into a Lx7 awesome..thanks for the help..luckily I still had a XP laptop, the loader didn't work on my windows 10, or windows 7 computer..I'm excited to explore the Command Station..it's been sitting on the shelf for a long time, as I have other gear..but this might move on up to the top..
Glad you solved this!! I did the same thing a while ago when I put the XL-7 Patterns into a P2500 along with an XLEAD ROM (from an XL-1). I called it my XL-2500! I also use an XP for e-loader (faster transfer with usb instead of MIDI); I don't think I ever got e-loader to work in win 10. Not sure if I ever tried it with win 7. One of the reasons I started getting so heavily into web browser-based sysex using the Jazz Soft plugin and E-Mu's Remote Control was to see if it could be used as substitute for e-loader since not everyone has an XP. BTW, I later picked up the 5-bank XROM SIMM which uses a different ROM ID compared to the XL-1 ROM. At one time, epr electronics had 7-bank CMPSR ROMS and the 5-bank XROM for $50 IIRC.
Old 10th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaman View Post
What i will explore more on is the mod matrix with clock dividers and noise and triggers for more experimental sequencing...also use the arp patterns as sequencers...if i use the arps i will not be able to record on the fly (i think?!?!?) but i can use different step length per track...and also with the mod matrix i think i can manage to make some more random probability based sequencing (im hoping) ...but that will not output midi i guess (arp will output midi i think but prob. not the mod matrix triggering stuff)...just some ideas im going to look at.
I like doing randomization stuff on my P2K-based synth engine gear. So far I have mostly done randomized pitches, pan locations, etc. but have thought of doing randomized rhythm. So your ideas interest me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mod matrix." Do you meaning using the 4 x 4 knobs as CC controllers to change patchcord parameters?

As for recording arps [arp patterns], I was under the impression you could record them in two ways (1) record just the trigger note and play it back through the arp pattern or (2) record the arp pattern's generated notes themselves.

A year or so ago, I experimented a bit with triggering notes from a usb keyboard while playing a BTS riff (IIRC) tied in with arp patterns somehow that changed the parts being triggered. I know I wrote that up somewhere. I'll look, if that might interest you. Basically it had to do with the interactivity of arp patterns with either audition riffs or a looping pattern--I forget which.*

Anyhow, on my long-term agenda is to create overlappable arp presets that create psuedo-random patterns due to un-equal lengths of the arp patterns. That would seem to go along with using CC knobs and patchcords to change clocking parameters on some of the layered arp patterns.

I would be very interested in what others have come up with along these lines.

Steve

*Not sure if you explored this, but if the arp pattern generates notes that are part of your beats triggers setup in latch mode, IIRC I believe it will toggle beats driven notes on and off. And possible if the arp patterns has extensions, I believe you could create some complexity that is sort of psuedo random. That's the kind of thing I had in mind doing with arp patterns of different lengths.

If anyone has done this and has some custom arp banks and presets to share, I'd be interested. Or even an mp3 with a description of how it was done.
Old 10th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Steve View Post
A year or so ago, I experimented a bit with triggering notes from a usb keyboard while playing a BTS riff (IIRC) tied in with arp patterns somehow that changed the parts being triggered. I know I wrote that up somewhere.* [snip] Basically it had to do with the interactivity of arp patterns with either audition riffs or a looping pattern--I forget which.
* from November 6, 2016:
I just discovered something else related to the interaction between arps and bts. I think I know what's going on, but let me explain the discovery first. This was with one of my newly created my Brp:* [Bts+arp] presets--one that only had a ROM Instrument on L1 (Same 01B trigger channel, 16B bts channel; makes no difference if midi is looped back or not--i.e., it seems to be an internal interaction.)

Trigger 1 [part 1] from either the keyboard or the button starts a BD 1/4 note [i.e., 4 per measure] constant pattern.

When trigger 3 [part 3} is started, the BD only plays on the 1 [i.e., 1 BD at the start of the measure].

When I switch the arp status within the Brp.* preset from on to off, the missing BD hits on 2, 3, and 4 return.

Changing the pattern speed of the arpeggiator (which was 1/4x) changes the number of times the BD [from trigger 1] and/or the HH [from trigger 3} play(s) within the span of the beat per measure.

All of this has been done with triggers in latch mode; so, my guess is that the arp note is turning off the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th BD hits before it gets to sound. At 1/4x for the arp speed, this note cancellation happens from 50 BPM to 300 BPM (and probably at lower BPMs, but at 001, I got tired of waiting!)

I looked at the midi output and I think that is what is going on, although it seems that for the BD hits that do sound (as well as the HH hits), the midi notes are doubled and for the missing BD hits, there is only one on but 2 offs. When the preset arp status is switched from on to off, there is one BD note off for every BD note on (likewise for the HH hits).

Again, since this is being done without an external midi loopback, I am inclined to say the interaction between the beat and the arp is internal.

How to make intentional use of this feature in either a predictable or predictably random way is beyond my comprehension at the moment.

Steve

Footnote: Button/ext. trigger part 1 gets 4 BD hits per measure going. Button/ext. trigger part 3 gets 4 HH hits on the upbeat per measure going, but the BD hits on 2-3-4 get swallowed (probably turned off by an arp note).
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Addict

Jog wheel fix

Hi again

Does anybody have experience of fixing the glitchy jog wheel problem? I was told deoxit should fix it - I’m just a bit cautious opening the thing up.

Firstly can I use the squeeze tube deoxit or do I need the spray? Is there any chance of me damaging it further using too much or too little?
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi again

Does anybody have experience of fixing the glitchy jog wheel problem? I was told deoxit should fix it - I’m just a bit cautious opening the thing up.

Firstly can I use the squeeze tube deoxit or do I need the spray? Is there any chance of me damaging it further using too much or too little?

I'm one of the DeOxit advocates who's actually used it on my XL-7...

I use the spray with the straw to target specific areas.

For the jog wheel, all I did was remove the plastic wheel, sprayed around it, and twisted it back and forth for about 30 seconds. That fixed it completely.

For the buttons and pads, I did two things. First, I sprayed some DeOxit around the edges of the buttons and let it "soak in" around the buttons. That fixed most of them. I also pulled off the side panels and used to the straw to target specific areas.

I've done larger teardowns on other synths, but found that for the XL-7 I didn't really need too much direct access to the components.

It's non-conductive and evaporates pretty quickly. Just wait until it's dry before powering up and you'll be fine.

-Chris
Old 22nd March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Switching to Grid Rec mode is one of the only things that I regularly do that requires a full stop of the track.
-Chris
Press Play+Record to get into grid mode without stopping the track.
Old 24th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm one of the DeOxit advocates who's actually used it on my XL-7...

I use the spray with the straw to target specific areas.

For the jog wheel, all I did was remove the plastic wheel, sprayed around it, and twisted it back and forth for about 30 seconds. That fixed it completely.

For the buttons and pads, I did two things. First, I sprayed some DeOxit around the edges of the buttons and let it "soak in" around the buttons. That fixed most of them. I also pulled off the side panels and used to the straw to target specific areas.

I've done larger teardowns on other synths, but found that for the XL-7 I didn't really need too much direct access to the components.

It's non-conductive and evaporates pretty quickly. Just wait until it's dry before powering up and you'll be fine.

-Chris
Thanks Chris
I wish I’d checked back first and read your post - I completely stripped it just to reach the encoder.
Used the little bottle of liquid deoxit with the supplied brush - managed to slide the brush tip down the side of the encoder and clean all the way around. Maybe it’s still a bit wet as the jog wheel is less jumpy but not 100%. Did the same for a track mute button which wasn’t responding and that’s come back to life albeit with a hard push.

Hopefully it will power up later and be good as new.

Considering flipping it once it’s working smoothly if anyone in the UK is interested- my kids don’t let me give it the love it deserves
Old 10th June 2018
What a great thread, this is what Gearslutz is all about, picking up an XL7 this week and looking forward to digging into it. Big thanks to Balma for all the info.
Old 17th July 2018
Gear Head

Hi CS users, just picked up one of these beasts and starting to work my way through the manual, just wondered if I could get a few pointers for the best way to midi it up etc?
I have, Korg Taktile 49 wired from midi out to midi in on the CS, so good so far, seems if I connect the CS to the midi in on the Taktile it acts as a midi interface and will let me direct the CS midi into the PC, my plan is to make the CS my main sequencer driving internal sounds and either Reason as a sound module or Halion Sonic 3, I have a Roland UM-1 midi interface also and a Roland Duo Capture audio interface, so going to take the main stereo outs from the Emu and feed it into the audio interface and maybe do not have to use the UM-1, can anyone who drives softsynths with the Emu chime in how you do it in your case, would be interested in different ways of doing this.
Thanks in advance.
Old 29th July 2018
A few questions I have as I’m preparing for an all hardware gig next month

1. A few of my buttons don’t function well, this really kills my production flow state. I went to get some deoxit but there was more than one kind. Which particular one should I use? I’m paranoid about making it worse.

2. I want to load specific multi setups per pattern, I can not seem to figure out how. I’ve tried entering the MSB/LSB and program change numbers [cc0=80, cc32=00 then program number] in the event editor but It doesn’t seem to be working. Is there a trick for this or should I just use program changes per track to load up each patterns new set of sounds?

3. If I buy a mophatt module can I just take the factory mophatt rom out and stick it in the xl-7?
Old 29th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground View Post
A few questions I have as I’m preparing for an all hardware gig next month

1. A few of my buttons don’t function well, this really kills my production flow state. I went to get some deoxit but there was more than one kind. Which particular one should I use? I’m paranoid about making it worse.

2. I want to load specific multi setups per pattern, I can not seem to figure out how. I’ve tried entering the MSB/LSB and program change numbers [cc0=80, cc32=00 then program number] in the event editor but It doesn’t seem to be working. Is there a trick for this or should I just use program changes per track to load up each patterns new set of sounds?

3. If I buy a mophatt module can I just take the factory mophatt rom out and stick it in the xl-7?
1. Deoxit F5 or G5 definitely, any works as charm for buttons.
2. Think I programmed changes per track, but multisetup was quite flexible
3. Yes
Old 29th July 2018
Gear Maniac
2. i always have problems with presets and multisetups so i use multis for effect settings etc and "save" presets in the patterns
you can check if this is saved if you go into pattern edit and go before 1.0.0, there are these pre-settings saved
Old 30th July 2018
I found an old laptop and seemed to successfully update the OS to version 2.0 but now the command station makes no sound except a slight digital buzz on the analog outs. i'd been using the digital out into the roland mx-1 and thats completely silent now.

Edit: I tested the headphones and they are working, the digital out and analog outs are not!

any ideas?

I took the XL7 apart and reseated all the cables and the analog outputs seem to be working now. The SPDIF out however is kinda crunchy. It might be the cable tho.

Last edited by Plaeground; 30th July 2018 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Fixed my issues
Old 30th July 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
I found an old laptop and seemed to successfully update the OS to version 2.0 but now the command station makes no sound except a slight digital buzz on the analog outs. i'd been using the digital out into the roland mx-1 and thats completely silent now.

Edit: I tested the headphones and they are working, the digital out and analog outs are not!

any ideas?

Did you check the Digital output format? The CS has 2 digital formats from memory (s/pdif and AES I think?), maybe it changed when the firmware was installed? Try switching it.
(Although that doesn't explain the analog.)
Old 30th July 2018
Gear Maniac
probably a (initialized) multi which outputs only to sub outs?
levels and efx routings checked?
can you play the 'keys' (and hear it) ?
Old 30th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post
probably a (initialized) multi which outputs only to sub outs?
levels and efx routings checked?
can you play the 'keys' (and hear it) ?
Reseated all the ribbon cables and reloaded all my patterns and my Multis and it seems to be working now except the digital output is kinda crunchy. Thanks for the reply!
Old 30th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tame1 View Post
Did you check the Digital output format? The CS has 2 digital formats from memory (s/pdif and AES I think?), maybe it changed when the firmware was installed? Try switching it.
(Although that doesn't explain the analog.)
The analog outs are working fine now. The digital output kinda works but it’s very crusty, lots of drop outs. I tried both digital formats and they both seemed to work the same going into my MX-1. I ordered a new SPIDIF cable so maybe that’s the final issue.

I don’t have to cancel my gig now tho! Huzzzah
Old 30th July 2018
Gear Maniac
there is a known issue with intermittent cracks on the dig out, can be linked with an/the unproper ungrounded dig out
some ppl have reported succes grounding the chassis to the out
i, for instance have cracks when i insert a 12V dc lamp - and that's too bad, cause i have i cool blue light
Old 30th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post
there is a known issue with intermittent cracks on the dig out, can be linked with an/the unproper ungrounded dig out
some ppl have reported succes grounding the chassis to the out
i, for instance have cracks when i insert a 12V dc lamp - and that's too bad, cause i have i cool blue light
how exactly would i ground the chassis to the out?
Old 30th July 2018
Gear Maniac
any electrical wire to a grounded part of the chassis will do
more info : Command Station FAQ v2.03

Last edited by tiger001; 30th July 2018 at 09:15 PM..
Old 31st July 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:

any ideas?

I took the XL7 apart and reseated all the cables and the analog outputs seem to be working now. The SPDIF out however is kinda crunchy. It might be the cable tho.
Double check the grounding when you reseated the metal case. Some tinfoil around the seal seemed to help for some users. there was a post on another site. something about the ground around the digital output.
or check

Command Station FAQ v2.03 - Tarekith.com

I will dig around when i get home tonight and check I seem to recall this issue and a solution.

Jsut saw reply above. thats it.

Last edited by Slak909; 31st July 2018 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: nother solution
Old 31st July 2018
Gear Addict
all lights on when start up

hi,

i have an issue with my mp7.

when i turn it on, all of the lights come on and nothing else happens.

does anyone know what the issue is and can i fix it easily?

cheers,
Old 3rd August 2018
Gear Head

Hi, getting on a storm with my mp-7 now, loaded with composer and xlead roms as well, been getting to grips with the sequencer and now have that in the bag, now moving on to sounds, something strange though, wondered if anyone has any advice on this, if I use the mp7 rom sounds all the controller knobs match up fine, however if I use the xlead or composer roms some of the controllers seem to have switched to the wrong knobs, filter and res are ok but amp release seems to move to amp decay, filter decay changes pitch instead of what its supposed to do, checked the controller allocations and they seem the same as controller allocations on mp7 sounds so whats going on?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search