The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stupidest thing you've done in the studio...
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Well come on, I'm sure there are some juicy moments where you've done something face-palm worthy with a piece of equipment...

Decided to demagnetize the heads on my RE-501 as the feedback wasn't as sharp as before. Whilst it was open I also replaced the tape with some BASF. Everything was pretty smooth, fed the tape back in... great its all working.

Switched it on. Feedback.... nothing else, no echo, no sound, just feedback. After an hours panic and self-cursing I finally found out what I did wrong - the tape was wound on the wrong side of one of the guides, so the tape was lifted slightly away from the erase head.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Having the DAW connected to the internet.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Coiled cord headphones + liquids
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear
Dropped my NT4 into my beer.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Tried to make a living
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

In one of my very first mixing sessions, 30 years ago, they talked me into committing the final mix with Yamaha NS10s.
It was a hard lesson.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
Tried to make a living
A life-long mistake for me.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

When I worked in a music store I got a call from a customer asking if he should connect the quarter-inch jack labeled "Output 50W" on the back of his Marshall stack into one of the channel inputs on his mixer.

Another, far more evil salesman then myself suggested that I walk the customer through not only making this connection from the amp's powered output into his mixer, but also the wiring of a bus output on his board back into an input so as to create a super-powered feedback loop, and then stay on the phone with him to make sure it all "worked out". Luckily for the customer, my sense of morality and lack of sadism did not allow for that to happen.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
In one of my very first mixing sessions, 30 years ago, I've been convinced to commit the final mix with Yamaha NS10s.
It was a hard lesson.
Oh dear, is it bad that I do the same thing albeit flitting between a pair of HD-650's?
Old 14th July 2014
dropped a theremin on my PPG Wave 2 and broke two keys.. MASSIVE, spectacular idiot.
Old 14th July 2014
Gear Guru

Trying to play my SH101's LFO in time to a track I was recording off the Atari to 2 track tape by hand, this was before Kenton and midi cv converters, sitting there playing the riff over and over and trying desperately to make that quickening LFO fit the groove by hand...

I did get there in the end, but when I think back to that day and how long it took, and what equipment we have nowadays, hit sync LFO.....too funny.
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Guru
Took apart a JX8P and forgot to reconnect the ground ring. Shocked me multiple times cause I kept touching it and not learning my lesson ... It's like when Bart Simpson got shocked by cupcakes.

Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbog View Post
Well come on, I'm sure there are some juicy moments where you've done something face-palm worthy with a piece of equipment...

Decided to demagnetize the heads on my RE-501 as the feedback wasn't as sharp as before. Whilst it was open I also replaced the tape with some BASF. Everything was pretty smooth, fed the tape back in... great its all working.

Switched it on. Feedback.... nothing else, no echo, no sound, just feedback. After an hours panic and self-cursing I finally found out what I did wrong - the tape was wound on the wrong side of one of the guides, so the tape was lifted slightly away from the erase head.
I tried fixing the after touch on my mono evolver, and ended up killing the after touch on the entire thing.

The other dumb thing I did was buy a synth thinking it will cure my gas.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef View Post
Dropped my NT4 into my beer.
Oh no! I hope the beer was still ok.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Selling my hardware to go ITB in 2012. Never again
Old 15th July 2014
Deleting all my patches by accident on my A4 two days before a big gig, with no backups.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Moved furniture around without taking note of where the gear was sitting, then suddenly hearing a loud, expensive noise as something big hit the floor.
Old 15th July 2014
Here for the gear

Bought a new set of studio headphones when I first started getting into production.
Had a test listen and they sounded broken - heaps of distortion etc.
I assumed they were meant to sound different because they were "special"
Continued using them for a couple of weeks (maybe months) in the hopes I would get used to how they sounded.
Eventually realized the jack was only plugged into the headphones halfway lol derp
Old 15th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine View Post
Deleting all my patches by accident on my A4 two days before a big gig, with no backups.
Good I'm not alone in this!
Happened to me yeeeeeears ago when I had programmed 128 patches and 64 combinations for the Roland JP-8000 for a local sound software company.
When the boss came over to collect the patches with his hardware sequencer, I accidentally pressed "Reset All" instead of "Dump All".
FWONK! Four weeks of work down the drain in just one second...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Addict

One day this tiiiiny machine screw appears on the floor. I didn't know where it came from, but I thought if it was important, I'd figure out what it was for soon enough. Well, a little over a week goes by and nothing seemed to require the screw, so into the trash it went. Fast-forward another week - I receive the rack rails needed to complete building a new rack, and I'm ready to rack some new gear. I inspect the gear that's about to get racked... left ear is OK .. right ear is ... missing one of the two screws that secures it. :( As luck would have it, the threading on these screws happen to be the most non-standard on the face of the planet. le sigh.

On another occasion I decided to use a power drill to "speed up" the racking process ... and with the efficiency came the dent on the faceplate.

Needless to say, when I'm done racking something these days without any misfortunes, I celebrate.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Wondering why i cant hear any sound from my machine.Check everything.Am i going mad!!!eventually realize the output sockets are plugged into the sampling inputs.Happened in a similar fashion many times lol plus....stood up quickly and moved across the room with haste(probably to get away from the stressfull music situation)and taken the gear with me....via the leads....
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Back in the 90s when saving to floppy disc was state of the art...it took a while to save a whole song to my Roland MC-50 hardware sequencer , so at the end of the day I executed the save command and the floppy drive started working and I thought it was a good idea to shut down the power of all devices in the meantime , crawling on the floor among the Multisocket Power Strips...however of course I shut down the MC-50 too in the middle of the saving process...and the work that day was lost in cyberspace
Old 15th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Wondering why i cant hear any sound from my machine.Check everything.Am i going mad!!!eventually realize the output sockets are plugged into the sampling inputs.Happened in a similar fashion many times lol plus....stood up quickly and moved across the room with haste(probably to get away from the stressfull music situation)and taken the gear with me....via the leads....
Done that one a bunch of times. Spent ages recreating a modular patch to have no sound. Fumble round, reset my a4, octatrack, reboot everything. Had my audio plugged into my spring reverbs return output. One jack over.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

I hooked up a Steinberg Houston via midi and could not figure out why the faders were sluggish and fighting me. I re-calibrated to no avail. Finally, it dawned on me that I'd created a midi loop with the machine feeding back into itself as output and input in the software for my midi box.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonythecat View Post
Oh no! I hope the beer was still ok.
There was definitely too much iron in that particular Guinness to want to finish it.

I think probably the worst moment I can recall in the studio was when I was listening to a track back and let out a rip roaring fart. Seconds later, I realised something was moving in the monitor reflection, pressed stop, turned my head, and discovered to my horror that it was my rather attractive next door neighbour standing at the back of the room with a tin of cakes. My sotto voce 'thankyou' as I took one could barely be noticed above the thick battle noise of the nasal invasion.

Good times.

Other than that its usually quite uneventful. Its usually doing something daft with the software such as losing the processor bar in cubase underneath sheets of plugins or something. On-stage is a totally different matter....
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Maniac

I suspect that if people are truthful the lists are too long.

You should ask what is the "smartest thing you ever did" for the short list
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Spent 2 hours trying to widen my mix from the PolyEvolver by using the multiple voice outs to mixer only to realize that I had it set to Mono within the Poly itself.
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
Selling my hardware to go ITB in 2012. Never again
Ditto here.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
stood up quickly and moved across the room with haste(probably to get away from the stressfull music situation)and taken the gear with me....via the leads....
Man I've done this way too many times! Usually snag the cable on another piece of equipment...
Old 15th July 2014
• Bought MIDI Quest

• Tried using MIDI Quest to edit and backup my Command Station because it supported the Proteus 2500. It was not compatible. Somehow it completely erased 3 years of custom patches, all factory presets, and all my pattern/song files in one fell swoop.

• Sold the Command Station on Ebay because I had recently acquired some shiny new synths that weren't ROMplers. Damn, do I miss that sequencer and sound engine.

• After drinking tons of cheap wine with a friend, he asked to hear what a real analog synth sounds like. So I fire up the Neptune 2 and I'm getting no sound. Sat there for 15-20 minutes trying to track down what was wrong and eventually gave up thinking there was a hardware problem. Next morning I'm a bit more clear headed and realize that when I was cleaning my setup a few days beforehand I had accidentally swapped the input and output cables with one another.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search