The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stupidest thing you've done in the studio...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 View Post
one that happens more often than it should.

turn the sampler off before saving anything.
Did that just a few weeks ago, realized it the second I released the power button on my E-Mu and the display went dim. The accompanying "FVCK" woke up the house haha.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Taking acid before I set up my equipment to record.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekyboo View Post
Taking acid before I set up my equipment to record.
Tripping while DJing club sets sucks.

Afterwards, however...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Did that just a few weeks ago, realized it the second I released the power button on my E-Mu and the display went dim. The accompanying "FVCK" woke up the house haha.

It's not the one time thing that's the most stupid thing, it the re-occurance over the years.

the hours i've wasted just on that flick of a switch.

it is definatly one of those "shout out loud" moments

NOOOOOOO.....
FFS!!!!!....
FK!!!!.......
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I was stupid enough to let one of my buddies fool around with an outboard sequencer full of a year worth of work, when I heard him mumbling to himself going through the menu: ‘Format entire disk. What does that mean?’ A second later, that year of work was gone for good
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Stumbling on the jack cable hooked on my IRT Studio guitar amp, something like three years ago : the jack recovered well, but the IRT '<1W' connector didn't : I now have a loose connection between both which can stop working just by blowing out on it.

I'm living with the mess since, keeping the same jack hooked and afraid to even touch it. And where I'm living, there is no amp repairing facility of any kind...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

One of the stupidest thing that I've seen happen in a studio was actually nothing to do with me thankfully.

I tracked the basic rhythm section for a 12 song album, drums, bass and guitar. The band didn't have much of a budget so they took it home to record, brass, vocals and any other overdubs before bringing it back to me for mixing.

Anyway we did a few takes of each song until we got the right take. I burnt the whole session to continuous wavs so they could load into their DAW of choice at home. They turned up about 6 months later with all the audio files and I dropped them into the original session and all of the parts were out of time.

They had recorded the brass, vocals and overdubs to the first take of each song which in all 12 cases wasn't the 'keeper' track, in most cases it was the last take of each song. Of course they hadn't used a click track so all the takes were a slightly different tempo. They had asked for all the takes just in case they wanted to drop a few bars from another take in here or there. By the time they got around to recording all the parts they had forgotten about all of this.

We spent the day compiling the right backing tracks and they went away for another 4 months and had to re-record all the parts again.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

My first studio recording, circa 2002 at Toerag Studios, London.

Anyone know that place? Everything there was pre-1964, the only concession to the times was a CD burner hidden beneath the old BBC stylee lever control desk.

I spent 3 days getting backing tracks, which all came out fine. The only thing is that I had been singing the whole time and my voice was shot come day 4.

The vocals still take me back to the feeling of nervous exhaustion and fatigue when I hear it.

Should have just made mixes sans vocals and overdubbed them later. Would have been a much better record. Colossal f up on my part, and also the engineer doing the session who could have advised my very young self.

I learned a lot from that experience. Not least just how messy and noisy a lot of vintage stuff is, and how disappointing it can be in solo.

However that early 60s AC30 sounded killer with that crazy Gibson fuzzpedal they had. So much attitude. Just so much.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search