The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stupidest thing you've done in the studio...
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Used Logic Pro.
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_1 View Post
huh?
do tell
It was at Ameraycan studios. Right after Shyheim shook my hand I walked over to the MPC. I started playing with the MPC, next thing I noticed the engineer was recording.
Old 18th January 2016
HSi
Lives for gear

Knocked my laptop off the desk, caught it in my lap and broke my elicenser, on hired studio time.

Even my current one is wrapped in duct tape to hold it together.
Old 18th January 2016
Gear Maniac
Was recording friend's album, i was playing piano and fender rhodes right? And I turned up myself too high on mixer so I could barely hear others(drums, bass,sax,trp). Still when I listen back that first recording, i tell myself "boy your time sucks!" My comp and solo was so sloppy...
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Nearing the end of yet another 14h day in a London studio in the early nineties, we're flightcasing up an entire room for a country house album recording deal - SSL, tape machines, outboard, the lot.

The flightcases are in the well-lit live room being hooked up and I'm removing outboard from the somewhat dingy control room and carrying it through the pair of big sliding glass doors between the rooms, which Ive opened fully on one side. I unhook a pair of fully loaded Akai 3000s, stack em on a bench and remember something I have to do in the machine room.

A few minutes later I come back in, grab the samplers and walk briskly into the glass door which is apparently now shut. Ive never seen a large piece of plate glass oscillate like that before, I struck it right in the middle with the corner of a rack ear and 6Us of sampler and my weight behind it. After a fascinating and rather stressful few seconds it stopped and I breathed again.

Thinking I was alone I muttered "Yeah thats great, wonder which f***wit closed the door ..." only to hear a rather bemused sounding voice pipe up from behind the desk "Yeah sorry that was me. Any damage?" I turn around to see the studio's owner and (ignoring the 2" crack I spotted in the corner) sheepishly say "Ahhh ... um ... no it looks ok." And thats how I met Trevor Horn, he took it well considering!

I'm wincing while I type this.
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
Knocked my laptop off the desk, caught it in my lap and broke my elicenser, on hired studio time.

Even my current one is wrapped in duct tape to hold it together.
Similar story: Years ago, I was replacing a graphics card in my desktop computer, so I unplugged everything from the back side, flipped the case forward onto its front side, and heard the unmistakable cracking sound of my eLicenser snapping (it was still plugged into the front of the computer. ). Fortunately, it survived, and is now held together with tape and plugged into a dedicated USB hub with my other dongles.
Old 18th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Recorded my band's pre sequenced tracks and realized they didn't sound as good as at our place. Realize one of the patch cables wasn't plugged in all the way
Old 20th January 2016
Several years ago, when I was employed at one small creepy studio (seeking for extreme experience) I had a vocal session planned for the early morning. It was winter and it was freaking cold winter. When I came to the studio about an hour before the vocalist I realized that the only heating device available was some kind of little noisy heating fan. The temperature was around 12'C so I decided to heat up the vocal room at first and put that thing right in front of the mic. And told myself not to forget to turn it off when the singer comes. Two days later, mixing the song I noticed some strange low humming and hissing noise in all bloody vocal takes. F...ck!!!
Luckily that band played alternative metal, so nobody noticed
Old 1 week ago
tun
Lives for gear

Hey all, this is a funny thread so no apologies for bringing it back. I just realised in hindsight what the stupidest thing I’ve done in the studio was:

Throw away a simple X frame keyboard stand.

That’s it, the stupidest decision I ever made. I mean, in a keyboard based studio you never know when there might be the need for a spare keyboard stand!
Old 1 week ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

my favourites spending 45 minutes trying to get midi working on a synth and realising leads are back to front or the channels on in cubase are wrong

Same happens rather to often with audio , mixer sends , mixers generally not sounding and realising 30 minutes later solo is on etc
Old 1 week ago
While working in a rented studio for which we paid by the hour:

Turned up the bass on the monitors and forgot to turn it back down.
Spent the next day mixing only to realize after a few hours that the result was of course lacking low end....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

let the baby play with your synths.. Not cool
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Myself as the engineer taking 3 hits of liquid acid each along with the rapper and producer. It was a longtime friend, but man we got nothing done.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Put tin-foil instead of a fuse... wow, that was a bad one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I changed the tape on my Space Echo a few weeks ago.
Turned it back on, and the delay wasn’t working, no audio at all.
After an hour of trouble shooting, I worked out I put the tape in back the front.
Old 1 week ago
Studio? Nothing really...my garage, loads

I had just bought an old kawasaki, thought Id top up the coolant before taking it for a first ride...it was the brake reservoir. Interesting ride on an 1100cc bike with rapidly diminishing brakes
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Back in the days of ADAT tapes. Recording to the wrong track....and erasing an existing track.

From that day on, the record button became called the history eraser button.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

not going to be special.
plugged a power supply with wrong polarity into my PreemFM2.
luckily, it survived, i lost only USB flash inside it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Put on some compressor and EQ on the hardware out.
Forgot about them.

On the next session:
For 2 or 3 minutes wondered why does it sound different, or even broken...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I once let someone else touch a fader.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
one that happens more often than it should.

turn the sampler off before saving anything.
Old 1 week ago
M32
Lives for gear

I was repairing the power adapter of an old laptop, i don't solder very often, so was really focused on doing nice clean soldering. I was so proud of the result...
plugged it in to see the biggest bolt ever and the whole house goes dark.

turns out i'd connected it back to front

Set up a new soundcard and monitors. Was a bit annoyed at the raher high noisefloor. Then i hit play. oh boy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I was like 6 or 7 and it was a quiet Sunday afternoon with my dad reading the paper downstairs in the living room. I wired up a two prong ac cord to a 6x9 car speaker and (I kid you not), plugged it into the wall thinking this will be an amp like my big brother ha...

BOOM!

Scared the crap out of me. Hid the evidence and walked down the stairs expecting my dad to cross examine me about the loud bang. Nope, glasses down the nose turned the page... I walked by him shaking like, hey, how's it goin' and made it outside where I went and sat on the picnic table to consider my stupidity and what I was going to do from here on with my life if not that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Postpone the computer backup to the next day...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

midi gating.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've had quite a few after 15 years of running a studio but one sticks in my mind more than most.

A long time ago I did a recording for the local mental health board. It started off badly, I was 30 minutes into a 40 minute recording of a guided meditation recording and the ADAT's stopped and rewound to the beginning because I had the auto locate button or whatever it was called on the BRC enabled. The person who was doing it wasn't happy with picking up where we left off and we did the whole thing again.

After the recording of the speech I spent a while writing a 40 minute ambient piece to go gently behind it, loads of nature sounds as well as gentle synth parts. It went down really well for a few months until a patient had a massive episode because there was one 20 second part where there was a crow cawing. The patient had totally freaked out and ripped up the room in the hospital because their biggest fear was crows. I had to re-edit the backing music without the crows as well as going through it with a fine tooth comb editing anything that may cause a response and thankfully after that there were no incidents again. I also had to re-record the whole speech and make timing edits to the music with a Woman narrator for Woman who had abusive encounters with Men and couldn't relax to a Mans voice.

I did the whole thing for a (cheap) fixed price and ended up doing 10 times as much work as I initially planned. The whole thing was a massive mine field and I have never gone near another mental health project again. I am thankful though looking back as it gave me a great insight into just how diverse and wide ranging mental health issues are.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Back in the 90's, was freebasing in the studio, and my room full of vintage synths caught fire. The whole room burned up, lost some classics. Good thing I had insurance.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Many years ago unpacked my new used Jupiter 8 & put it on a piano bench to check before properly placing & connecting it & of course knocked it off & all of a sudden in my house there was a Roland Jupiter 8 falling on the floor, how could that be happening?

Anyway, the MIDI ports were a bit bent but it was OK.

Wish I hadn't sold it later though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

got a puppy
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Set up a new soundcard and monitors. Was a bit annoyed at the rather high noisefloor. Then i hit play. oh boy.
This made me chuckle pretty good...I've done that so many times with cans.

My latest foolishness was spending too long checking cabling/patching because I was getting no sound from the MPX-1..only to realize I had forgot to turn it on
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search