The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Modal 002
Old 26th June 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I finally managed to get a custom DB15->DB25 cable made for my 002R, as I have an open DB25 input. I'm quite pleased with having the individual voices. Here's a quick demo of a basic pad sound with some autopanning and short delays per voice. If anything, I think I would dial back the movement in the sound in a song, but that's a good problem to have IMO!

https://soundcloud.com/freelanddemos...ual-outs-48khz

One more with the arpeggiator. Again, I think I'd be more careful with how things move in a track but it's still a lot of fun.

https://soundcloud.com/freelanddemos...outs-arp-48khz

Last edited by Jmfreeland; 26th June 2020 at 02:24 PM..
Old 26th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Where did you get the cable from and roughly how much? Been thinking of doing this even though I have the digital board.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyonart View Post
Where did you get the cable from and roughly how much? Been thinking of doing this even though I have the digital board.
Custom Lynx here in the UK did it for me. I had to draw up a pin diagram on both ends but it worked out perfectly. Happy to share it.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmfreeland View Post
Custom Lynx here in the UK did it for me. I had to draw up a pin diagram on both ends but it worked out perfectly. Happy to share it.
It ran about 70£ for a short rack to rack version.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could you please post it here or PM me please? I'd be getting it shipped to the U.S...I imagine most custom cable places could do it, but if they already did it right for you it might be easier if I order from them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Could you please post it here or PM me please? I'd be getting it shipped to the U.S...I imagine most custom cable places could do it, but if they already did it right for you it might be easier if I order from them.
Redco does my custom cables (lots of DB25 here) and they are great to work with. If going with a US company I’d recommend Redco.
Gear Head

Quote:
Great, I’ve used Custom Lynx before for audio looms for connecting my synths and fx to patchbays including for my 002. They produce a quality product and I think ship world wide. Highly recommended.

I know the wiring details are in the 002 manual but would be great if you were able to share what worked for you. The only difference for me would be to go from dsub out from the 002 to 12 x 1/4 inch jacks.
Old 27th June 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years

This was the starting point. The Apollo 16 uses Tascam wiring. There was a further work required to sort out the cold/grounds. These were my instructions:

'Grounds 1,2,3 can go to the first ground pin on the DB15 (pin 1). Grounds 4 & 5 can go to the second ground pin (pin 6), and 6,7,8 can go to the third (pin11). '

I am not positive on whether we wired the colds to those grounds as well or just wired this TS. I believe normally you'd wire both cold and ground from the DB25 to the ground side on the DB15 for balanced to unbalanced. The guys at Lynx would know exactly how they did it. Another shop would require some expertise there. It also occurs to me that I lucked out having 8-voice versions, as that's the upper limit on a DB25 input.
Old 27th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Great, I’ve used Custom Lynx before for audio looms for connecting my synths and fx to patchbays including for my 002. They produce a quality product and I think ship world wide. Highly recommended.

I know the wiring details are in the 002 manual but would be great if you were able to share what worked for you. The only difference for me would be to go from dsub out from the 002 to 12 x 1/4 inch jacks.
I share your experience with Lynx. They are fast and very high quality. My console is wired up with looms from them as well as my outboard inserts and now this.
Old 27th June 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Anyone know if there’s a shot the 008 could see a software update to support per voice LFO’s instead of both being global?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Anyone know if there’s a shot the 008 could see a software update to support per voice LFO’s instead of both being global?
That is what the animator can function as. It will loop. It can modulate 12 different parameters PER NOTE (meaning per voice). So you can theoretically set up 12 separate independently running simple or complex "LFOs" each modulating a different parameter PER VOICE.

If you combine this with panoramic voice panning it is quite amazing.

Here is my description earlier in this thread of how I made my 8-audio out cable for my Modal 008:

Modal 002
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobdude View Post
That is what the animator can function as. It will loop. It can modulate 12 different parameters PER NOTE (meaning per voice). So you can theoretically set up 12 separate independently running simple or complex "LFOs" each modulating a different parameter PER VOICE.

If you combine this with panoramic voice panning it is quite amazing.

Here is my description earlier in this thread of how I made my 8-audio out cable for my Modal 008:

Modal 002
Ah for some reason I thought the animator was global. I read reset every note as a global thing. Very interesting.
Old 28th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

The downside to using the animator to replace an LFO is that it is tied to clock and resets with every note. So while that is sometimes how I used LFOs, often it is not. If they could have at least updated the animator to be free running it would have made a big difference.
Old 28th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinamsis View Post
The downside to using the animator to replace an LFO is that it is tied to clock and resets with every note. So while that is sometimes how I used LFOs, often it is not. If they could have at least updated the animator to be free running it would have made a big difference.
Although not necessarily free running, when Modal talked about the ‘big’ update to the sequencer and animator a few years back I recall there was reference to polymetric timing allowing different time divisions for each column row in sequencer and animator rather than a single time division for each step applied to all rows.

This would open up huge possibilities.

Whilst it is great already, I can’t help imagining sometimes what the 002 could be capable of sonically if it had something akin to Korg’s Wave Sequencing 2.0.
Old 26th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas"?
Hi Sean, is the old one the modulus? Don’t sell it. The modulus is supposed to have vintage and subtle phasing oscillators die to special calibration. A friend of mine, and beta tester of Modal, found it out. He will never sell his Modulus.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro69 View Post
Hi Sean, is the old one the modulus? Don’t sell it. The modulus is supposed to have vintage and subtle phasing oscillators die to special calibration. A friend of mine, and beta tester of Modal, found it out. He will never sell his Modulus.
No, it’s not the original modulus. I heard they also put a flux capacitor in there.
Gear Maniac
But you sold your Solaris finally? Not satisfied? Your moonshine sonata was one of your greatest tunes IMO.
Old 26th August 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Funny my Solaris is under my 002 on the Luke side of my keyboards.
Old 27th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But you sold your Solaris finally? Not satisfied? Your moonshine sonata was one of your greatest tunes IMO.
Thanks! I was very happy what the Solaris was able do do for me on that piece. I only sold it because I needed to pay off a loan as to raise my credit score during my home ReFi last year. It is a great synth and begrudgingly sold it only with the promise that the gentleman would offer it back to me first if he ever needed to sell it. Excellent synth!
Old 27th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Today I compared the 002 with the super 6, because latter reminded me on the 002. the super 6 is playing in almost the same league. Pads sound very close and plugged sounds as well.
Old 28th August 2020 | Show parent
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Today I compared the 002 with the super 6, because latter reminded me on the 002. the super 6 is playing in almost the same league. Pads sound very close and plugged sounds as well.
That’s really interesting, I feel a bit the same I love my 002 and think whilst the S6 is fab they kind of share a similar dna, although there are some obvious differences.
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Modal 002 users - I can highly recommend running the following set up:

Modal 002 >> OTO BOUM >> OTO BIM >> OTO BAM

BOUM and BIM in particular really help bring those oscillators and filter alive and make for wonderful and musical results with interesting harmonics a plenty.

I have the digital board on the 002 but have switched it off and route straight to XLR outs.

Still having so much fun with this board using it daily. The OTO fx are also magical.

Happy days.....

How is everyone else using their 002 and what effects if any are you using?
Old 1st December 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mine gets recorded into my daw and most of the time Valhalla delay, vintage verb, slate tape.
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

To be fair, an accordian would sound great through that signal path..
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:

BOUM and BIM in particular really help bring those oscillators and filter alive and make for wonderful and musical results with interesting harmonics a plenty.
I'm not sure that FX like BOUM is needed in 002. And that oscillators needs any reviving. :D But I guess for each their own.

I use mine with Empress Echosystem and BigSky. I chose Empress for the most stupid reason - it is white. And I like only one setting in this pedal and it is "lofi" for ambient. I liked the idea and options, when I was selecting this box, but after getting this much gear, I learned that I prefer simpler interfaces and Echosystem requires me to learn it again and again every time I am not using it for longer time. I am thinking about switching Empress with:
- either bringing TimeLine from 008;
- or connecting Zen Delay.
I am more in favour of Zen Delay, because oscillators in 002 are very rich and filter in feedback loop might help in taming this richness. And it can go other way - into Lyonarts way of affecting sound, because Zen has tube drive that affects also dry signal.

But it wasn't like that from the beginning. I imagined that I will be connecting those pedals to other instruments or to mixers sends. And 002 with 008 were supposed to be connected to my Octatrack, utilising its effects in thru machines.
Gear Head

I completely agree that compression / distortion is not needed on the 002 to make it sound good. It sounds great on its own.

My point really was that the OTO BOUM is fantastic at adding compression and distortion to help take the 002 into different sonic territories. That coupled with the BIM and BAM really opened up creative possibilities. You could use any combination of fx units of course but I love the OTO units.

I bought BOUM primarily to use with my Nord Drum 3P and Arturia Drumbrute but I couldn’t resist some experimentation with the 002.

I imagine the 002 would sound great with a Bigsky. Never tried the Zen or Echosystem.

Anyone tried a 002 with the new Strymon Nightsky?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I have the digital board on the 002 but have switched it off and route straight to XLR outs.

Still having so much fun with this board using it daily. The OTO fx are also magical.

Happy days.....

How is everyone else using their 002 and what effects if any are you using?
For a while I was going directly into my audio interface and using two mono channels to get around the hard-panning problem, but it was awkward, so I picked up a X-Air 12 mixer to pan them as a stereo pair and add effects. I like it, except I need to keep an iPad around to edit it. I really wish there was a way to control it with a plugin via USB. So dumb to not include that. Anyway, that annoyance aside, it works really well and the effects are pretty good. Not quite as good as the UAD emulations, but not bad.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
To be fair, an accordian would sound great through that signal path..
That's funny because the 002 can sound very much like an accordian
In the right hands
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I imagine the 002 would sound great with a Bigsky.
I have the BAM and the BigSky.

The BigSky is at its best for reverb as an effect: some of the algorithms, most particularly Cloud, are quite beautiful. The standard room / hall / plate algorithms are perfectly decent but nothing special.

I greatly prefer the BAM for standard reverbs with its emulations of the late 70's / early 80's machines. It works well for anything from bit of subtle ambience to massive spaces.
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Hi. Here are the promised 002 banks. You might need to rename them? I'm simply calling them the NYC soundset. Three full banks, 300+ patches, and the final fourth bank, (bank 7) is only partially complete. I just wrote Modal to see if they wanted to include it on FB or from the web editor, so I don't know if they'll take advantage of that or not.

A couple people were willing to trade me their banks privately, but since I'm giving these away for free, you can either keep your banks or send them to me privately as it seems not everyone wants to share with everyone else (I understand this point).

Please let me know if these work ok.

Here are the download links for each bank:

TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free (bank 4)

TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free (bank 5)

TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free (bank 6)

TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free (bank 7)
I just purchased a 002. I've been wanting one since I heard about it many years ago. It's a lovely sounding synth. Does anyone still have these patches available?
📝 Reply