The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Integra 7 Windows VST editor coming! Integra Editor V2
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

This is very good news, actually not to many expected from ROland to continue developing anything for Integra.
Most of users were satisifed with the package and now it is advanced to very up to date stage.
Kudos to Roland Corp. after many years of lousy products (I didn't praise anything from them since V-Synth) and hopefuly some next incarnations of polished VST integration will take place, as well.
IMO combo of D50 expanded V-Synth (1) and Integra allow Roland to be considered as the king of digital synths game.
Old 29th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Sonar maddening now, trust me, it'll only get worse.

Well so far Frank, you couldn't be more right if you tried. Now granted, I'm used to Reaper but NOTHING is translating. It is literally relearning how to do things from the ground up. Nothing makes 'sense' from a Reaper frame of reference.

I can't even figure out how to put different keyboard/midi controllers on different tracks once getting Sonar to see them in Prefs.

Well, I brought it on myself. Gonna fight through it.
Lives for gear

Having Cubase and Live, I prefer Tracktion over them both (not that T can substitute any of them, but for workflow purposes).
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Style Guide View Post
If Roland has limited resources to devote to the Integra Editor, I would much rather see them put their efforts into a forward-looking VST3 version. Reaper just needs to get onboard the VST3 train.
I disagree with that. Why not support the MORE WIDELY SUPPORTED VST2 standard instead? VST3 is a fcking trainwreck.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I disagree with that. Why not support the MORE WIDELY SUPPORTED VST2 standard instead? VST3 is a fcking trainwreck.
Trainwreck or not, VST3 is the future. Yes, VST2 will be supported for a long time to come by most DAWs. But Steinberg defines the VST spec and they have clearly indicated that VST3 is the future of the standard.

Also, there may have been legitimate technical reasons why Roland adopted VST3 over VST2.

Or maybe Roland just wanted to future-proof their development efforts. I'm sure that's the same reason why Roland isn't releasing a 32 bit version of the Integra editor. 32 bit is last century's technology.
Lives for gear

There are PLENTY of full time professionals and studios that use Sonar.. so your statement is both condescending and insulting...not to mention incorrect, unfactual and therefore just plain wrong.

Why you even started on this path, recommending 8.5.3 given that it WONT RUN THE INTEGRA EDITOR is beyond me....

I get it, you are one of those flat earth folks that think 8.5.3 was the second coming of the prophet of your choice, but having used that fabled icon of a DAW let me tell you... it sucked...

If Sonar x3 is not for you then fine, but for its price and capabilities its value for money is second to none, other than the far cheaper Reaper.

Quote:
Not really. Just depends what you need. If you need a professional product, Sonar X1, X2, or X3 sadly falls very short. For everyone else, I'm sure it's fine.

Meanwhile I thought the quality dropped when it went from Pro Audio to Sonar. I had no idea how badly Cakewalk could fall.

They used to have a quality product with an amazing workflow. Unfortunately if you have deadlines, look elsewhere.

This is coming from someone who's been using the program since it was Cakewalk 5 when it was just midi. Back when they had "The Scream" for the panic button.

Like I said - it's fine for most people, but for professionals with a deadline, sadly Sonar is a joke.

Really - do I need to bring up stuff like the embarrassingly bad toolbar which is nowhere near as functional as the one in 8.5? On top of that it can't be re-sized? Put too many icons on the toolbar and it disappears off screen. They screwed that up right from X1. They're up to X3 and still haven't figured out how to fix the mess they made of the toolbar. Laughable.

Long standing bugs that never get fixed. Go ahead, put an external insert on a bus. Now solo the bus and watch all your audio go mute. That bug's been around since the stone age. They'll never fix that.

Embarrassingly bad decisions like getting rid of the phase buttons and the stereo interleave buttons from every track. Used to be that you could look at your tracks and in a glance know which were stereo and which were mono. Plenty of times I have stereo tracks switched to mono. It's a real pain now to figure out what's what. Not to mention the phase buttons. God forbid you have an easy way to see which tracks you've changed the phase on. That made this grievous error when they moved to Sonar X1. They're up to X3 and they still haven't figured out how to fix what they broke. I can almost guarantee that's because none of the programmers at Cakewalk work in music at a professional level. That's why they have no idea how to give people who do, the right tools.

They're going backwards, and in a bad way.

This is all moot since Cakewalk's been purchased by Gibson. Gibson is where brands go to die.
Lives for gear

I feel your pain.. its is very hard to learn a new DAW.. i trialed Reaper and spent many days in "wtf" land!..

two ways..

1. in the main view, to the left of the ruler is a drop down menu, select i/o to see midi in & out options. easiest when assigning multiple tracks

2. use the track inspector, the vertical window on (typically) the left.. use kb shortcut "i" to open, and i/o is in the bottom left...easiest when focusing on one track

and 3. strongly suggest joining the cakewalk forum. they are a very helpful bunch over there.

oh, and 4. if you are on one screen, and particularly on a laptop, learn how to use and setup screensets... they are invaluable.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normie View Post
I can't even figure out how to put different keyboard/midi controllers on different tracks once getting Sonar to see them in Prefs.

Well, I brought it on myself. Gonna fight through it.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Style Guide View Post
Also, there may have been legitimate technical reasons why Roland adopted VST3 over VST2.
Nope, there are none. Such a VST editor really only needs to send and eventually receive MIDI data, this can be done with VST2 just as well.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Really - do I need to bring up stuff like the embarrassingly bad toolbar which is nowhere near as functional as the one in 8.5? On top of that it can't be re-sized? Put too many icons on the toolbar and it disappears off screen. They screwed that up right from X1. They're up to X3 and still haven't figured out how to fix the mess they made of the toolbar. Laughable.
When I was considering moving over to the PC from Logic on the Mac, I took a look at Sonar. That toolbar in pre-X versions of Sonar was so crammed with inscrutable icons that it was almost unusable for me. THAT was laughable. Sonar X hugely improves the usability of the program, IMO.

I ended up going to with Cubase and have been reasonably happy. However, I am keeping an eye on Studio One as it hopefully adds notation, drum editing, etc. features.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
I feel your pain.. its is very hard to learn a new DAW.. i trialed Reaper and spent many days in "wtf" land!..
Reaper was my first DAW and my entry to the world around. V3.6 so my mind by now function/speaks that 'language'. The biggest problem so far is trying to lose that mindset and get a grip on the Sonar way of 'speaking' ...so to speak. At least this time I have an understanding of some of the engineering/technical concepts I lacked the first time where I had to learn them and Reaper together.

I think once I get the whats and wheres down I might even like it. Ill put in a couple hours a day with it and work it in as I go. It's not like I 'have' to learn it immediately, fortunately. I'd be pulling my hair out.

BTW: Thanks for the help on the keys. It is very much appreciated.
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

Just got an as new Integra in a trade last night.

First impressions are of course great. While I traded some nice things away I really needed something like this in my studio (i have tons of vintage, new analog and modular and weird stuff) and didnt want to bother with software or a gigantic rompler stage keyboard with a bunch of workstation features ill never use.

Interesting trade. A guy locally here in Canada that buys, sells, trades a lot of things but only local doesnt like buying online has been coveting my Waldorf Microwave 1 and Microwave 2 racks for awhile. I knew he had an Integra that he was trying to trade but always resisted trading my Microwaves because I do like them. Especially the 2. But he offered me a trade i couldnt resist.

Im not sure whether it was a really good trade or not but am honestly enjoying what i got back and hes finally got my Microwaves and is over the moon. Ill definitely be rebuying a Microwave 2 or XT soon. Not sure about the 1. They are so expensive now.

Trade was

Integra 7 as new with ipad kit.

Blue Waldorf Micro Q keyboard nice shape.

Boss SE-70 and Boss SE-50.

For my Microwave 1 and Microwave 2 racks.

Im actually enjoying the Micro Q keyboard as well. A Q rack was one of my first synths and I kind of missed it sometimes missed it. The Micro keyboard is laid out well and fun to play.

But definitely will get another Microwave in the house soon. Already using the ipad editor for the integra, will use the PC one soon but man it is drab. The ipad is more fun.
Old 10th July 2014 | Show parent
Even though the new editor is ugly, its a MILLION times better than the ipad and original mac editor. It has like a BILLION more parameters.
Old 13th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quick 2 questions:
1) Can I edit patches on the I-7 to for example give it a shorter or no attack.
2) If so, would the above then be possible on this new Windows Editor as well?
Old 13th July 2014
Gear Guru

Yep.
Old 13th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yep.
K thanks...
Old 15th August 2014
Gear Nut

So I just got my Integra 7 a few days ago and last night I downloaded the editor (v2) for mac. Just for the record; I am running OS X 9 and Ableton Live 9 64-bit.

The AU version of the editor does not work in Ableton Live; as far as I can tell the only DAW it works in is Logic X :( I haven't tested it as I don't want to use 2 DAWs but not having the editor working in any other AU host other than Logic X is a bummer...

Of course, Ableton Live doesn't understand VST3 and this is Ableton's fault, but just a heads up for anyone else contemplating running the AU version in Live... Live seems to think its not valid as it doesn't even show up in the plugin overview (and yes, I've tried rescanning etc. etc.)... sucks
Old 12th September 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charl313 View Post
Quick 2 questions:
1) Can I edit patches on the I-7 to for example give it a shorter or no attack.
2) If so, would the above then be possible on this new Windows Editor as well?
that's like half of a percentage of what you can edit, even the supernatural acoustic sounds have a good amount of parameters for what they are - and it's all available on the windows V2 editor, every parameter. It's very. very nice. I'd say luxurious as **** honestly. This is a serious synth.
Old 1st October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I just purchased an I7 brand new a week ago. I'm still learning my way around it but so far it's pretty awesome.

However... for the life of me I cannot get the V2 Editor to work in Sonar X3 (Which I am also still wrapping my head around). I'm sure it's something simple I've over looked. The Editor loads and the "Preview" button communicates with the Integra-7. However, when I try to play the I7 from my MIDI controller... nothing. The MIDI port my keyboard is connected to is selected as the input device for Integra Editor track. If I omit the Editor and simply select my MIDI keyboard as the input device and the regular INTEGRA-7 port as Output then there is no problem. I can play the I7 without problem.

Could one of you kind folks please walk me through how to get the V2 Editor configured in Sonar X3 with a MIDI controller? This is kind of embarrassing because it should be working (at least in my mind anyway).

As per the I7 V2 Editor installation PDF I have done the following:

1. On the I7 set the USB driver mode to "Vender".
2. In Sonar X3 go to Preferences, MIDI Device. INTEGRA-7 is selected for both MIDI In and MIDI Out. I have unselected INTEGRA-7 CTRL for MIDI In and Out.
3. Go to Insert -> Soft Synth -> VST3 -> INTEGRA-7 Editor Ver 2.0.
4. In the "Insert Soft Synth Options" dialog box select "Simple Instrument Track" and "Synth Property Page".
5. The editor track is created and the editor loads.
6. In the Editor window go to Utility -> Device. INTEGRA-7 CTRL is set for INPUT and OUTPUT device. That's where the instructions end but there is no sound.

I have tried selecting my MIDI controller port as the Input device for the editor track. I have selected INTEGRA-7 Ver.2 as the Output device but still nothing. If I play the MIDI controller the track input meters do not show any MIDI data. This only occurs with the editor. Without the editor it's okay.

What am I missing? Thanks!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
I just got an I7 brand new a week ago. I'm still learning my way around it but so far it's pretty awesome.
I have tried selecting my MIDI controller port as the Input device for the editor track. I have selected INTEGRA-7 Ver.2 as the Output device but still nothing. If I play the MIDI controller the track input meters do not show any MIDI data. This only occurs with the editor. Without the editor it's okay.

If you used the ipad editor, reboot the integra because it seems to lock Sonar out.

I had a massive crash right after I bought Sonar and was computerless for a while screwing with all sorts of issues with it and am just getting back to it now. It is not fun.

The SWA videos on the Cakewalk site for $20 are worth it. Very very helpful overall but nothing integra specific.

Best of luck to us both.
Normie
( who prays often that Reaper gets VST3 implimentation soon)
Here for the gear

INTEGRA-7 Sound Editor - Download -

The above link leads to an I-7 editor (Windows & OSX) that is free of charge and works independently from an DAW.

I learned of this from the Roland clan forums here:
Roland Clan Forums • View forum - Integra 7

In my case this program has worked quite well for editing Super Natural Acoustic, Synth, Drums as well as PCM Synth & Drums as well as Studio Set building and editing.
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi Neuron View Post
INTEGRA-7 Sound Editor - Download -

The above link leads to an I-7 editor (Windows & OSX) that is free of charge and works independently from an DAW.

I learned of this from the Roland clan forums here:
Roland Clan Forums • View forum - Integra 7

In my case this program has worked quite well for editing Super Natural Acoustic, Synth, Drums as well as PCM Synth & Drums as well as Studio Set building and editing.
+1 on this editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
I just got an I7 brand new a week ago. I'm still learning my way around it but so far it's pretty awesome.

However... for the life of me I cannot get the V2 Editor to work in Sonar X3 (Which I am also still wrapping my head around). I'm sure it's something simple I've over looked. The Editor loads and the "Preview" button communicates with the Integra-7. However, when I try to play the I7 from my MIDI controller... nothing. The MIDI port my keyboard is connected to is selected as the input device for Integra Editor track. If I omit the Editor and simply select my MIDI keyboard as the input device and the regular INTEGRA-7 port as Output then there is no problem. I can play the I7 without problem.

Could one of you kind folks please walk me through how to get the V2 Editor configured in Sonar X3 with a MIDI controller? This is kind of embarrassing because it should be working (at least in my mind anyway).

As per the I7 V2 Editor installation PDF I have done the following:

1. On the I7 set the USB driver mode to "Vender".
2. In Sonar X3 go to Preferences, MIDI Device. INTEGRA-7 is selected for both MIDI In and MIDI Out. I have unselected INTEGRA-7 CTRL for MIDI In and Out.
3. Go to Insert -> Soft Synth -> VST3 -> INTEGRA-7 Editor Ver 2.0.
4. In the "Insert Soft Synth Options" dialog box select "Simple Instrument Track" and "Synth Property Page".
5. The editor track is created and the editor loads.
6. In the Editor window go to Utility -> Device. INTEGRA-7 CTRL is set for INPUT and OUTPUT device. That's where the instructions end but there is no sound.

I am using the USB midi with the editor in Cubase and then using physical midi cables for notes. I couldn't get it to work like you say so i just said hey let me try this and it worked fine so i didn't investigate further.
📝 Reply