The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Oberheim Two-Voice Pros in the wild yet?
Old 8th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut
So Tom came straight back with the latest firmware... updated and all went smoothly.

Latest firmwares are 2.4 and 3.0 btw

Old 1st November 2019
Everyone still happy with these? Build issues mostly sorted by now? Considering a used one, wondering if it could replace my Dominion 1 as the modular centerpiece and lead/bass synth.
Old 1st November 2019
Old 2nd November 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Everyone still happy with these? Build issues mostly sorted by now? Considering a used one, wondering if it could replace my Dominion 1 as the modular centerpiece and lead/bass synth.
Since Tom fixed mine I've no complaints. This synth has cured my GAS for pricey analogs for a long time to come. My experience with transacting with Tom was great too.

No experience with the Dominion 1 but generally speaking the TVP has the capacity to be an excellent modular system heart and brain.
Lives for gear

Oberheim 3-Voice Pro

Even with the earlier hiccups I experienced, Black beauty was always going to be a keeper.

I've since added a SEM Pro to my TVSP and have been planning out my synth circle setup for the new room layout. It will sit across from the Matriarch + MS-20M, and look something like the attached.

One day I hope to add a 4th SEM and the poor man's 4-Voice will become a reality.

I'm still contemplating what will make for the best controller to facilitate a poly 3 or 4-Voice. Currently looking at the Polyend Poly 2.

Curious if anyone else following this thread is using their TVSP with one or more SEMs in a poly cfg and what are you using to hook them all up that you've found works well?
Attached Thumbnails
Any Oberheim Two-Voice Pros in the wild yet?-circle-synths-oberheim-3-voice.jpg   Any Oberheim Two-Voice Pros in the wild yet?-polyend-poly-2-eurorack-midi-cv-converter_00-copy.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Since Tom fixed mine I've no complaints. This synth has cured my GAS for pricey analogs for a long time to come. My experience with transacting with Tom was great too.

No experience with the Dominion 1 but generally speaking the TVP has the capacity to be an excellent modular system heart and brain.
Haha, I wish! I think The River finally did that for me (cost the same as a One-8).

Absolutely... sequencer, lot's of patchpoints, ext inputs and a Fatar keyboard. But, I'll be happy with as the brain to a 4-Voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Haha, I wish! I think The River finally did that for me (cost the same as a One-8).

Absolutely... sequencer, lot's of patchpoints, ext inputs and a Fatar keyboard. But, I'll be happy with as the brain to a 4-Voice.
You sir are an analog fanatic. But that's Ok. Conversely I am a digital/sampler fanatic but I like to cover all my bases. I'm about to start redoing my studio room. There's going to be an analog monosynth wall. That wall will comprise the TVP, MaxiKorg, SH-2 and the SE-02. This handful of analog instruments more than adequately covers my needs. Especially in the company of the AX60 and the Polaris on the Poly wall.

From what I've learned of your discerning tastes I think you'd really enjoy an SH-2. It's IC based analog and really simplistic but I find it to be a nice contrast to the Two Voice. They're good together.
Old 2nd November 2019
Gear Nut

Another Tvs Pro Sound I Like https://soundcloud.com/paultp12/toms-tvs-pro
Lives for gear

Quote:
You sir are an analog fanatic. But that's Ok. Conversely I am a digital/sampler fanatic but I like to cover all my bases. I'm about to start redoing my studio room. There's going to be an analog monosynth wall. That wall will comprise the TVP, MaxiKorg, SH-2 and the SE-02. This handful of analog instruments more than adequately covers my needs. Especially in the company of the AX60 and the Polaris on the Poly wall.

From what I've learned of your discerning tastes I think you'd really enjoy an SH-2. It's IC based analog and really simplistic but I find it to be a nice contrast to the Two Voice. They're good together.

Haha, along my journey and unbeknownst to me, I was building up massive analog synth desires - and when I was ready to act on them, a synth renaissance was in full swing. When Moog, Sequential & Oberheim are at the top of their game, what's a slut to do? Anyway, you're going to have a whole analog synth wall, so, even though you're a digi fanatic, you still know what's what.

I know you have one... I've barely scratched the surface of the V-Synth GT and I'm tripping! Just wow. My first all-digi synth love affair.

In a few weeks, my Hydrasynth 8+8 will arrive... oh digi-mama, buckle in... it's going to be something else. Along with being my main pAT and VS controller, it'll probably be my fav digi synth of all time.

Except I can't discount the Prophet-X + Omnisphere combo.

I'll checkout the SE-02, but, full discloser my friend, I'm literally out of room and money, and am therefore done buying synths for a long while ...although ya never know, never say never, and this statement excludes pre-orders like the Pulsar-23 ( :-P). It's time to move on to setting them all up nicely, filling in a functional gap here and there along the way, and making music.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTP12 View Post
That's seriously obese

I really hope we see and hear more of Tom O.
Quote:
I see they're going for silly money now. There is 1 on eBay for £4600.
Seems as though even the new models were a good financial as well as creative investment.
I always run it in unison mode for 4 osc, the sequencer and CV layout is inspiring, it has some mid frequency beauty that no other synth I own has.

I have it on a two tier rack with the model D reissue on the bottom ... I can't play without two hands.
Quote:
Haha, along my journey and unbeknownst to me, I was building up massive analog synth desires - and when I was ready to act on them, a synth renaissance was in full swing. When Moog, Sequential & Oberheim are at the top of their game, what's a slut to do? Anyway, you're going to have a whole analog synth wall, so, even though you're a digi fanatic, you still know what's what.

I know you have one... I've barely scratched the surface of the V-Synth GT and I'm tripping! Just wow. My first all-digi synth love affair.

In a few weeks, my Hydrasynth 8+8 will arrive... oh digi-mama, buckle in... it's going to be something else. Along with being my main pAT and VS controller, it'll probably be my fav digi synth of all time.

Except I can't discount the Prophet-X + Omnisphere combo.

I'll checkout the SE-02, but, full discloser my friend, I'm literally out of room and money, and am therefore done buying synths for a long while ...although ya never know, never say never, and this statement excludes pre-orders like the Pulsar-23 ( :-P). It's time to move on to setting them all up nicely, filling in a functional gap here and there along the way, and making music.
With the V-Synth learn to try those algorithm change buttons. Gives you 3 different versions of each patch. Cool $hit eh?

I think you may have been corrupted by digital my friend. You're turning to the dark side now. I'd like very much to read your impression of the Hydra when you get it. I'm pretty curious about it, seems like it might be a real wolf in sheep's clothing.

Anyway I am pretty sure it was you that talked me out of selling my TVP. Thanks for that bro
Old 3rd November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
With the V-Synth learn to try those algorithm change buttons. Gives you 3 different versions of each patch. Cool $hit eh?
What are these algo change buttons I haven't tried yet? I'm only about half way through the manual, but, have made it through my first pass of the 512 factory presets. Hi and miss, but some real gems. If there are 3 variations of each, that'll be wicked.

Quote:
I think you may have been corrupted by digital my friend. You're turning to the dark side now. I'd like very much to read your impression of the Hydra when you get it. I'm pretty curious about it, seems like it might be a real wolf in sheep's clothing.
Yeah, the corrupting happened involuntarily long ago. But, there's so many cool things only digital can do. I've been trying to "uncorrupt" my self ever since, but every time I try to get out... ah, you know the rest.

Quote:
Anyway I am pretty sure it was you that talked me out of selling my TVP. Thanks for that bro
If I did you're very welcome. Then, I should also thank you again for serving up the Koolaid that go me moving on my BB TVSP, otherwise, who knows.
Old 3rd November 2019
Old 6th November 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTP12 View Post
Just sounds massive doesn't it.

Here's mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdep-HOxUc4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
Man people are really gouging these days. If that's going rate for a 2 voice then I'm no longer interested. The synth market is extra nuts lately. And that's after a decade of already being nuts.
Quote:
What are these algo change buttons I haven't tried yet? I'm only about half way through the manual, but, have made it through my first pass of the 512 factory presets. Hi and miss, but some real gems. If there are 3 variations of each, that'll be wicked.

Yeah, the corrupting happened involuntarily long ago. But, there's so many cool things only digital can do. I've been trying to "uncorrupt" my self ever since, but every time I try to get out... ah, you know the rest.

If I did you're very welcome. Then, I should also thank you again for serving up the Koolaid that go me moving on my BB TVSP, otherwise, who knows.
In Roland speak it's actually called structure not algorithm. It's the signal flow through the synth engine. On the V-Synth II there's dedicated buttons for this on the upper right side for changing which structure is active and which modules within the structure too. But this is also found on the screen where there's a page dedicated to this. On your XT you'll need to get familiarized with the page.

Haha that's funny. I had no idea I had inadvertently added to your Two Voice GAS. And you're quite welcome too
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man people are really gouging these days. If that's going rate for a 2 voice then I'm no longer interested. The synth market is extra nuts lately. And that's after a decade of already being nuts.
I've never seen anyone try to spin normal stuff as something special before - that dude is trying so hard and failing even harder.

Quote:
"sought after original 70's NASA beige"
Is he kidding me? That's the standard color

Quote:
"Sent to me by Tom O HIMSELF!"
Yeah, Tom pretty much will send it to anyone who emails him.

Quote:
"This is possibly the last unit anyone will find that is new with the latest firmware as they have now been discontinued."
Yeah, until the next one pops up. With firmware that was sent to that person by TOM O HIMSELF!

Quote:
"Buy with confidence - I am a serious collector and all my items are immaculate."
Only part of that ad where that guy told the truth.

I love his selective use of bold and underline. It's like he read the cliff's notes on how to sell stuff and never got past the 2nd page. I don't know what's funnier - the amount of B.S. in that ad, or the fact that that guy wasn't embarrassed to write it!
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I've never seen anyone try to spin normal stuff as something special before - that dude is trying so hard and failing even harder.

I love his selective use of bold and underline. It's like he read the cliff's notes on !
is he kidding ? probably not , just another greedy buull****ter.
Old 18th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Anyone have both the TVS Pro and the Sequential Pro 3? Curious how much overlap they have.

I know the Pro 3 is much more feature-rich, less interested in the feature differences, more interested in how close the Pro 3 can get to the TVS in sound?

I haven't found any video comparisons, but please link if you know of any.

Thanks!
Old 24th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post

Yeah, Tom pretty much will send it to anyone who emails him.

Yeah, until the next one pops up. With firmware that was sent to that person by TOM O HIMSELF!

I love his selective use of bold and underline. It's like he read the cliff's notes on how to sell stuff and never got past the 2nd page. I don't know what's funnier - the amount of B.S. in that ad, or the fact that that guy wasn't embarrassed to write it!
Wow really? I think you are overreacting- why let it bother you? There are units for sale now that are £500-£1,000 higher than where this one was offered (and Sold!)

TVS comes in 2 colours: indeed, beige is a tribute to that ”NASA” time period (accurate). It is also the more popular colour (accurate). Black beauty looks gorgeous and replaced the beige for a period of time during the second/third manufacturing batch (I would be torn between the two, but prefer beige too)...

Good luck getting any response from Tom O. Whether he responds or not is entirely arbitrary, at least from my experience. Hence no, you dont receive an email from him on command. He’s 84 not 34...

Dont be bitter re price - these will unfort only go up in value. Whether you (or me or whoever) agree with this or not is irrelevant. Fact is they made 300-400 units? Do the math.

Dont focus on the sales pitch so much. If he was full of sht, he wouldnt have a 100% track record “selling high end gear”.

Anyway - i think these are way overpriced for what they offer. And my experience having now owned 4 of them, is that I dont miss it at all.
Old 17th August 2020
Gear Head

This may be a dumb question but is there not a separate midi channel to separately control each SEM? The manual isn’t clear on this point. I can use midi to externally sequence SEM A or both SEMs In unison but I can’t figure out how to separately sequence each SEM.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt Thrower View Post
This may be a dumb question but is there not a separate midi channel to separately control each SEM? The manual isn’t clear on this point. I can use midi to externally sequence SEM A or both SEMs In unison but I can’t figure out how to separately sequence each SEM.
I went through this too: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer..._pro_story_in/

It's not possible to trigger separately over MIDI, but you can set the split point very low and sequence them separately by setting your DAW to send notes to SEM A below the split point and notes to SEM B above the split point.

Bit of a ball ache.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by recurv View Post
Bit of a ball ache.
Your hearts not in the P10... don't do it.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparco View Post
Your hearts not in the P10... don't do it.
LOL, look who’s letting off gas in the TVS thread. Just buy one already ;-)
📝 Reply