The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland R8 ,anyone else use one?
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Roland R8 ,anyone else use one?

Hi all

I have recently acquired a Roland R8 with the dance ( 909) and electronic ( 808 CR78) cards and its awesome, but I was wondering if anyone has used one in a live setting?

is it possible to use step sequence mode to amend instruments/beats on the fly? I cant seem to figure it out if you can.

thanks in advance

D163
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear
I don't see why anyone would use one. Nowadays there's alternatives like TR-8, Yocto and 9090 that are much more close to the original. R8 has a nice display but sequencerwise it is a total lemon. It may have some value in DIY/circuit bend circles.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude163 View Post
Hi all

I have recently acquired a Roland R8 with the dance ( 909) and electronic ( 808 CR78) cards and its awesome, but I was wondering if anyone has used one in a live setting?

is it possible to use step sequence mode to amend instruments/beats on the fly? I cant seem to figure it out if you can.

thanks in advance

D163
Nope. You can't switch between instruments in step mode unless you stop the sequencer.

In real time recording you could erase individual drumsounds by holding down the erase/shift button and pressing the instrument button right before the note you want to erase, but it is not really an accurate way of doing it.

It really isn't a "live drummachine" :(
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quite a lot of people here have at least owned either the R8/M or R8 MKII. Whether they still have them though, I don't know. I've been looking into getting one recently.

How much did it cost you with the Dance/Electronic cards? I've seen them go for 100+ by themselves.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
I don't see why anyone would use one. Nowadays there's alternatives like TR-8, Yocto and 9090 that are much more close to the original. R8 has a nice display but sequencerwise it is a total lemon. It may have some value in DIY/circuit bend circles.
Maybe they'd use one because that is what they own? And they aren't under the illusion that having something that is closer to the original is going to make their tracks better in any way.

In all of the threads I've seen about the r8, people have mentioned how much they love the workflow of it.
Old 20th June 2014
the R8 was on every other track in the early 90's, i got so sick of it. i had access to one in midilab in college & didn't care for it.
it was the flavor of the week drum machine for a time though.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Was pretty good in its day sampled mine then sold it years ago
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thuMbs you up by accident lol.The R8 will kick ur ass btw
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

On second thoughts...

YOU'LL HATE IT.

SELL IT TO ME.

AND MAYBE THROW IN THOSE CARDS TOO???
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Garbage.Should be very cheap

the problem with the mk1 in particular is very low sequencer space.Rolls will fill it up quickly.So for live work but possible.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks all,im having fun with it, I was saving up for a TR8 but this was 140 bucks with the ROM cards and a RAM mem card too

looks like its back to programming songs/beats and using my 707 for the live fills

cheers
Old 20th June 2014
Love mine...have the dance and electronic cards and it still packs a punch. Dont know about using it in a Live setting, I think a TR8 would be a better option. But I prefer it to samples in the studio...and the humanising features of the sequencer are the stuff of a pro machine.
Old 20th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude163 View Post
Thanks all,im having fun with it, I was saving up for a TR8 but this was 140 bucks with the ROM cards and a RAM mem card too

looks like its back to programming songs/beats and using my 707 for the live fills

cheers
You got the cards and the machine for $140??

**** that was a steal...the dance card on its own hits that price.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

I have a R8 with all the cards and I liked it so much I also hunted down the MK2. I much rather have these than any newer models. I have a room full of equipment including ten drum machines, the R8 still has a place in 2014.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I don't know about the Yocto and the 9090, but the TR-8 sounds like ****. Personally I think the R-8 Electronic and Dance cards sound better even today. The sequencer is still rock solid as well. I don't know where you got your information from, but you're very misinformed. I still use my R-8 frequently.

As far as people getting sick of the sound, I'm surprised nobody has gotten sick of hearing the 808 and 909 considering it's been greatly overused and butchered by rappers and pop stars. It's funny how nobody ever says a bad thing about the 808 or 909, yet there's always subjective opinions when it comes to any other drum machine. The R-8 has a great sound even today and still fits well in modern production. I guess I can't complain too much, more R-8s and other great vintage digital drum machines for me. Everyone else can keep their ****ty made in China TR-8s and witness them go kaput after twenty years at best.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 View Post
Everyone else can keep their ****ty made in China TR-8s and witness them go kaput after twenty years at best.
hi necron,

20 years @ $500 would be a great deal imo.
by that time there will be tr16's or something doing 1:1 emulations of ALL classics.
Old 20th June 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
Quote:
haha… what??

the r8 sequencer is fantastic!
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear
I have the mk2, thumping machine, keeper, use it all the time!
Old 20th June 2014
This is how it's used live in pattern record mode, so there are is an option of tweaking sounds on the go http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MNZa8EKgiXU
This is how I use mine with the 808 card and love the kick.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamster View Post
Was pretty good in its day sampled mine then sold it years ago
Yeah, then you lose the 'human feel' function.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

To be honest i never really used the human feel function as it only works in play mode.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The sequencer in the R8 is incredibly good.
Shame many have no clue about how to use it.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

I use an R8 MKII and since about 1990 I have been using an R8. I still think it is wonderful for electronic music. It does it's thing. It won't replace an 808 or 909 but it is as good as them in it's own way and better in many. An 808 and an R8 is a very powerful pairing.
Only you can decide if it works for your music or not however.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
Yeah, then you lose the 'human feel' function.
I don't quantize that sounds pretty human
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't quantize that sounds pretty human
The 'Human Feel' parameter was about more than quantising, but whatever.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Kloopy : Thanks for that youtube clip, cool
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

I think the R-8 sounds it's best when it's MIDI clock master.
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
The 'Human Feel' parameter was about more than quantising, but whatever.
Yeah the human feel was all about quantize it shifted beats out of time by 1/64 or 1/128 of a beat in a pseudo random way giving an inaccurate "Human feel" Never used it as I had the rack version and triggered from a sequencer" But to be honest "whatever" Battery is so much better
Old 20th June 2014
No its still capable of more than that. Im not sure you understand what its sequencer is capable of.

I have Battery, barely ever open it. The R8 808/909 samples sound better than anything Ive heard in software so far...each to their own mind you
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah the human feel was all about quantize it shifted beats out of time by 1/64 or 1/128 of a beat in a pseudo random way giving an inaccurate "Human feel" Never used it as I had the rack version and triggered from a sequencer" But to be honest "whatever" Battery is so much better
Maybe you'd have got more out of the parameter if you'd delved a little deeper into what was really happening. Human Feel can adjust pitch, Nuance, decay and volume. You can even add a random element from these parameters. I use Nuance a lot on hi-hats to give them life. Nothing to do with quantise at all. I own two R-8Ms, but the R-8 is the same in this regard.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search