The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland R8 ,anyone else use one?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeydope View Post
I guess the only reason to get one of those in 2019 is to hook it up to an old Mackie with some Alesis-stuff from that same era to get theeee 90’s sound.. But only a crazy person would
Absolutely. The R8 was great in its day which was the 1990'S
With toontrack SD3 and a DAW you have better samples more of them per hit and infinite control over velocity Aftertouch and timing way way beyond the R8 "Human Feel" I sampled all the hits off mine back In the day and sold it Last time I used any R8 sounds was about 20 years ago.
I used LM4 and then Battery for years. Until I started using EZ drummer.
SD3 has way more to dig into but for quick results EZ drummer is still pretty good..There is simply too many better alternatives than an R8 these days.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju View Post
Having used R8 samples and real R8, i can say that there is a big difference of punch. The Roland R8 is one of the most punchy/fat digital drum machine i ever used, i would compare it to a JD 990, its almost too loud sometime. Sample it and you loose a lot IMO
All depends what you sample it with?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
Old gear is coveted for more than just the sound it produces. There is a usage methodology and a process connected to the era in which it was engineered.

Learning to be efficient and creative with whatever gear you own and/or want to make music with is the key to the best end-result consistent with your own vision.

The R-8 series has quirks and also has an enthusiastic following.
It's a fantastic value, especially if you have all eleven SN-R8 ROM cards.
'Better' is in the ear of the composer. I enjoy composing with the R-8 regularly.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm wondering how sampling the R8 and losing all the amazing real time sequencing functions can be "better"
It does what it does and nothing else can do it. If you don't use that side, then its not for your music. If that fits into your creativity, nothing can replace it. And why should it? We aren't talking overinflated Jupiter 8 prices either. You can still get an R8 for relative peanuts.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I'm wondering how sampling the R8 and losing all the amazing real time sequencing functions can be "better"
It does what it does and nothing else can do it. If you don't use that side, then its not for your music. If that fits into your creativity, nothing can replace it. And why should it? We aren't talking overinflated Jupiter 8 prices either. You can still get an R8 for relative peanuts.
Funny Enough Don't know why but I've still got my RX11 and Hr16 in the loft.
I suspect out of sight out of mind.
At the time I thought the R8 was the best thing since sliced bread.
Not even sure now why I got rid of it as I got virtually nothing for it.
What I've always wanted is drums that sound like a real drummer.
The R8 sounded pretty good in its day but realistically its nothing like real drums and the multi sample depth is poor by todays standards.
For example take something like EZ drummer just the snare has multisampled with 10 or so layers per hit for the right hand same for the left and off center hits all multisampled then several other versions of the same snare further up the keyboard with other variaty of hits. The Bass drum is done the same way offering the drums open closed dampened or not, different heads on the beater then you change the drum from say a Ludwig to a Yamaha and then you have the same again for those drums. and 10s of Gb of sample libraries..
If I still had mine I doubt I'd use it I certainly have no intention of breaking out the Hr16 or RX11 any time soon.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamster View Post
Funny Enough Don't know why but I've still got my RX11 and Hr16 in the loft.
I suspect out of sight out of mind.
At the time I thought the R8 was the best thing since sliced bread.
Not even sure now why I got rid of it as I got virtually nothing for it.
What I've always wanted is drums that sound like a real drummer.
The R8 sounded pretty good in its day but realistically its nothing like real drums and the multi sample depth is poor by todays standards.
For example take something like EZ drummer just the snare has multisampled with 10 or so layers per hit for the right hand same for the left and off center hits all multisampled then several other versions of the same snare further up the keyboard with other variaty of hits. The Bass drum is done the same way offering the drums open closed dampened or not, different heads on the beater then you change the drum from say a Ludwig to a Yamaha and then you have the same again for those drums. and 10s of Gb of sample libraries..
If I still had mine I doubt I'd use it I certainly have no intention of breaking out the Hr16 or RX11 any time soon.
Absolutely. For real sounding drums, its really not going to convince anyone.
But electronic music and the R8 work brilliantly still IMHO if using the internal sequencer for weird stuff especially!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Just got a R8 and hooking it up. I'm guessing the outputs are unbalanced? What about the stereo output?

Just tired hooking the mono (L) output to my RME UCX, but pretty low output from the R8 in terms of level.
Old 23 hours ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnipe View Post
Just got a R8 and hooking it up. I'm guessing the outputs are unbalanced? What about the stereo output?

Just tired hooking the mono (L) output to my RME UCX, but pretty low output from the R8 in terms of level.
As far as I can tell from the service notes schematics, the outputs are unbalanced.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...?page=5#manual

I'd recommend fully initializing the R-8. The sense curves could set to output low values even when the pads are struck with vigor.

To initialize the Roland R-8 to factory settings:

Hold both "CURSOR/PAGE" and "PARAMETER/SELECT" while powering up (the display will show "SYSTEM INITIALIZE --> --> Press ENTER. press ENTER twice.
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

I have a TR 8, that someone gave me free. A couple cards as well, 808 and something. I
rarely use it. They gave me a sound canvas too, that I equally don’t use.
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
I have a TR 8, that someone gave me free. A couple cards as well, 808 and something. I
rarely use it. They gave me a sound canvas too, that I equally don’t use.
Cool story.
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
Cool story.
I tried to use them, the R 8 is pretty tedious to program and I really don't
have enough audio io to use it properly. The SC 155 just doesn't really sound
that great to me.

I really just prefer to use my eurorack samplers for drums mostly as they
work better. I'll hold on to it, because it's cool to use the samples from them
on occasion. The R 8 is supposed to become more of a collectors item one day,
as they become more scarce. *shrugs

*Likely I haven't given this equipment a fair enough chance. Yet another reason to keep it around,
for the day when I am more interested in that.
Old 11 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampsynth View Post
As far as I can tell from the service notes schematics, the outputs are unbalanced.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...?page=5#manual

I'd recommend fully initializing the R-8. The sense curves could set to output low values even when the pads are struck with vigor.

To initialize the Roland R-8 to factory settings:

Hold both "CURSOR/PAGE" and "PARAMETER/SELECT" while powering up (the display will show "SYSTEM INITIALIZE --> --> Press ENTER. press ENTER twice.
Thanks!

I did a factory reset first thing. Do any of you need to gain it up quite a bit to get a descent recording level? Do you find the noise floor acceptable?
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnipe View Post
Thanks! I did a factory reset first thing. Do any of you need to gain it up quite a bit to get a descent recording level? Do you find the noise floor acceptable?
I can't speak for the R8 as I don't have one, but on the R8m the individual outs are quieter than the main stereo pair, so for mission-critical stuff I generally record through those.

This is true of a lot of gear, of course, as by using separate outs you're bypassing the internal mix bus and in some cases the FX engine.
Old 7 hours ago
Gear Addict

I love the R8.

People who say these sounds can be replaced by newer stuff are missing the point.

These sounds have a character and a vibe from the 80s. They were made by top notch engineers, and it shows. The R8 is great for vaporwave. If I could only have one drum machine for the rest of my life, it would be the R8.

I bought an R8 in December with all the good cards, and I meticulously sampled it and programmed it in Ableton, with all the decays and nuance settings. To me, it is 99% of the real thing. I think the R8 uses two samples per sound with cross fades for nuance, so it was easy to replicate.

I wish I could share it, but I’m not gonna risk getting hassled by the copyright police.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search