The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Pro 2
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth View Post
Whoa. Any chance to come out with new versions of the Mopho/Tetra/P08 lineup with their original DCOs but with this new low pass???
+100
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post

also dig the step sequencer that accepts analog clock or midi sync. wow. and ability to CV other things. one missed chance here is just a single gate out, in favor of lot of input CVs. if it had 4, or at least 2 CV/GATE pairs it would be a true CV sequencing centerpiece. and huge modular community would probably embrace it as main controller/sequencer.
Just because its 1 gate doesn't mean you cant send gate out on the other 4. I think he said they were assignable so you could send a square wave LFO or sequencer clock for gate pulses. Also just standard CV pitch can be used as a gate in some cases.

As for this synth. HOLY HELL they did everything right it seems.

No more lame curtis filter
CV galore
Powerful sequencer.
Two filters(1 being prophet 5 reminiscent) that are configurable for series or parallel!
true Paraphonic with separate Envelopes for Each? Wow!
Old 19th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
Moog is still leading the way, they started paraphony first.
Yup, all those Sub 37s they've shipped are really leading the way!

srsly tho... I wonder what the spread is on who ships first, DSI Pro 2 or Moog Sub 37. My pre-order is staying with Moog, but my money is on DSI!
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear
new dsi filter designs ... wonder how those will sound in a poly synth...? >
Old 19th June 2014
I haven't been impressed with DSI sounds in a while. This one, from the short video demo, sounded really good, though. I also like that he did a mono with a reasonable keyboard size. (He's done it before). Separate envelopes for the two filters really opens up lots of possibilities. The CV inputs are a really nice touch, given that he had to add additional circuitry to make that happen with digital oscillators. I could see modulating via my modulars.

Lots to like, here.

It didn't sound like that typical DSI sound I dislike. I have nothing against digital oscillators, but those Curtis filters were boring to my ear. This doesn't sound like that. I assume when he said new circuits, they are truly new and discrete, and not Curtis chips (Pym was asked the question here but said the Andromeda was the last chip synth. That's not quite correct: DSI has used Curtis chips in most of their recent synths). I love modular, but that Curtis filter is unlikely to show up in my rack :D

A P12 with the additional features here (the filters, and ideally that slick sequencer) would have been quite a nice beast, and likely would have sold in buckets. I wonder if the P12 is selling well enough for them, anyway.

Looking forward to more demos showing the sonic range of this synth, not just technical details. I'm especially interested to hear how it does with paraphonic pads with modulation and interesting use of the envelopes, to see if it's more than just a bass synth.

Pete
Old 19th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth View Post
Yes I believe so. With chords, it may as well be polyphonic. Or put another way, a poly synth may as well be paraphonic if all you do is play chords.
If your filter is tracking the keyboard, you'll get a different resonant peak for each note on the poly, and only one resonant peak on the paraphonic.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

The A6 was the last synth to use a new analog chip design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
(Pym was asked the question here but said the Andromeda was the last chip synth. That's not quite correct: DSI has used Curtis chips in most of their recent synths).
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym View Post
Yes, I believe it has all the params of the P12 (save a Curtis filter of course, and the 4th delay is locked to BBD), with some nice additions
Fantastic, thanks. I'll be pre-ordering as soon as my local's taking orders. Looking forward to July!
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurniss View Post
If your filter is tracking the keyboard, you'll get a different resonant peak for each note on the poly, and only one resonant peak on the paraphonic.
Oh right, forgot about key tracking. However for chords, maybe key tracking is not what you would want.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear
Think a module version will come out?
Old 19th June 2014
Gear Maniac

This paraphonic is way cooler than the Sub 37's. Not only because it's 4x vs. 2x, but because those digital oscillators can produce "super waves" shown in the video that sound like more than one oscillator detuned.

I still have my Sub 37 preordered, got it on sale, but this is tough competition at full price.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Pym was asked the question here but said the Andromeda was the last chip synth. That's not quite correct: DSI has used Curtis chips in most of their recent synths
I think he meant the chips in the Andromeda were the last analog filter chips produced, there isn't enough demand for audio filter ASICs so your choices are Curtis or go discrete.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

WOW only watched the video on laptop speakers... but WOW, well done DSI
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

As a new Prophet 12 owner, I think the Pro 2 looks fantastic. For all the griping, I, for one, am glad to see a company like Dave Smith out there doing what it does--taking risks and hopefully enjoying the benefits. Rickenbacker to everybody else's Fender and Gibson, to borrow a guitar analogy.

Well done.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckardTrinity View Post
Yup, all those Sub 37s they've shipped are really leading the way!

srsly tho... I wonder what the spread is on who ships first, DSI Pro 2 or Moog Sub 37. My pre-order is staying with Moog, but my money is on DSI!
July on Moog. But to be fair, Dave Smith has not been messing around. He was pretty quick last year on releasing the prophet 12. So, they may both be shipping next month.
Old 19th June 2014
The battle is on . War is approaching ....
DSI PRO 2
MOOG SUB 37
KORG ODYSSEY

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 19th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS View Post
The battle is on . War is approaching ....
DSI PRO 2
MOOG SUB 37
KORG ODYSSEY

PEACE

MORDICUS
Imagine having all three!! heh

Note to self: hit lotto soon..
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Is there a price yet?
Old 19th June 2014
Gear Maniac

I really , really hate you Dave Smith!!
I happily passed on the RYTM and was relaxed waiting for the Sub37 rack, Dominion5, or the next Elektron box. My wallet was happy, my wife was happy, my kids had clothes and food........and then this!!

P.S. please take my money!!
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

This thing would be amazing with a VCO + sub replacing one of the digital oscs. Anyway, amazing design... I really hope this new filter design sounds better than the one on my P08.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
Is there a price yet?
"News

Introducing the New Pro 2 Synthesizer

June 19, 2014—Dave Smith Instruments today announced the Pro 2, an all-new, feature-rich monophonic synthesizer. “We really raised the bar with this one,” said Smith. “As synth geeks, we asked ourselves what our dream mono synth would be. Then we built it.”

A hybrid instrument, the Pro 2 features four digital oscillators (plus sub-oscillator) with super saw waves and newly-designed, dual analog filters inspired by classic designs. The filters (one low-pass and one state-variable) can be run in series or parallel, with the state-variable filter providing low-pass, high-pass, and band-pass modes. Oscillators can be routed in pairs to either filter for a variety of tonal possibilities. “Our new analog filter design gives the Pro 2 a depth and presence that’s immediately recognizable,” said Smith. “It has a sound all its own—distinctly different from our other instruments such as the Prophet 12.”

The full-featured step sequencer operates in 32 x 8, or 16 x 16 mode and allows real-time input. It can sync to external MIDI clock and can also be driven by an external audio input. Sequences can control not only oscillator pitch, but any parameter in the Pro 2’s extensive modulation matrix. It supports both rests and variable-length sequences.

Another notable feature of the Pro 2 is its 4 rear-panel control voltage inputs and outputs, which make it compatible with modular synths. The control voltages can be assigned and routed from within the modulation matrix and can run at audio rates for extreme modulation effects. “A primary goal was to make the Pro 2 as open-ended and flexible as possible,” said Smith. “The four control voltage ins and outs really open up a world of interfacing possibilities with other gear. You could almost call the Pro 2 our own mini-modular.”

Smith says that the surprises don’t end there: “A very cool bonus features is that even though we designed it primarily as a very powerful mono synth, it’s actually 4-voice paraphonic—you can play 4 notes simultaneously, if you want to. Add in the super waves, and you’ve got a very big sound.” In paraphonic operation, the 4 individual voices share a common filter and envelopes. Paraphony has gained popularity in recent years and was found in such vintage instruments as the ARP 2600 and ARP Odyssey, which were duophonic.

The feature set of the Pro 2 is rounded out with a multimode arpeggiator; 4 stereo, multi-tap delays with analog modeling; 4 LFOs; tuned feedback; analog distortion; Character controls with sound sculpting options such as Drive, Hack, Decimation, Girth, and Air; and extensive modulation possibilities. The LFOs, delay, and arpeggiator can be synced to either the internal clock or an external MIDI clock. Two programmable position- and pressure-sensitive touch sliders and pitch and mod wheels provide nuanced control over live performance.

“Right now there’s a trend of reissuing classic synths from the past. People have been asking for a reissue of the old Sequential Pro-One for quite a while. But as a synth designer, I’m happiest creating new instruments—synths that with every iteration put more power and better sounds into the hands of musicians. The Pro 2 is light years beyond the Pro-One in every way. It’s the most powerful mono synth I’ve ever made. You’ve got to keep moving forward.”

The Pro 2 is scheduled to start shipping late July with a street price of $1,999. For more information, see the Pro 2 product page."
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
Don't recall the exact timing but was when he was showing connectivity with modular gear. There was a black module in there that said "Dave Smith Modular" Curtis Filter.
So they're taking the most hated part (apart from the terrible build quality) and putting a dedicated "filter" module out . Weird. The only thing ok about this is they don't use Curtis filters
Now how good does that analog keys look now? Pretty good eh?
Old 19th June 2014
Jet
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxe View Post
Woohoo, no line lump or wall wart! This thing looks awesome. Looking forward to playing with it.
Word. External power supplies are such a GAS boner killer. Which is good, but also bad.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym View Post
Yes you can

Quote:
$2000 for the new digital DSI monosynth with DSI-styled anal og filter

No, you can't

Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

All kinds of analog and digital control, voice and filter combinations are in the offing in the world of synths. Very interesting times.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Now how good does that analog keys look now?
Not as interesting? That new filter sounds fantastic, and the waveshapes and crazy mod matrix this has offers a lot of possibility. The sequencer seems to be crazy deep too; more than I'll ever get into TBH. The AK sounds fine, a solid choice, but it doesn't get my heart pumping. Between the OLED screen and Elektron's somewhat obtuse approach to interface design I also have more faith in the Pro 2 being the more user friendly of the two as well.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear
Well they're seems to be a fair bit of interest. Pricing it near close to the macbeth monos is a real ballsy move. So macbeth - dsi? Hmm I'll go the macbeth.
$2000 for a mono - wow.
Old 19th June 2014
SDC
Gear Addict

Dave Smith Euro Rack Modular?
Old 19th June 2014
Gear Addict

So to be clear does the sequencer allow for per step changes of control values aka parameter locks?
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

The Pro2 8/16 track sequencer really gives the A4 a run for its money. With that many tracks controlling any parameter, it approaches the A4's bread and butter p-lock feature in a way but in a much more organic live performance way. I really need to see more demos of what that step sequencer can do.
📝 Reply