The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland System 1
Old 16th December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Personally I think the 1m is the better one, instead of the horrible keyboard you get patch points which increase the modulation possibilities a lot and so the range of sounds it can do, add to that the System100 plugout and you get a very powerfull mono, poly, vintage and modern synth.

And when you get mored of the S100 you load another one, very good synth, very underrated.
System 1m is great, just right particularly with the amazing sounding mono synths loaded as plugouts
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Out of interest, how well does the 1m intigrate with the MX-1?
I have just got one (MX-1) and am about to hook it all up witht e JDXA and boutiques.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Out of interest, how well does the 1m intigrate with the MX-1?
I have just got one (MX-1) and am about to hook it all up witht e JDXA and boutiques.
The same as the rest of your listed gear... via USB! Well, because of its performance like aspects the MX-1 integrates well with anything thats plugged into it really
Old 24th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
I just measured it (system-1 keys).
Unbalanced confirmed.

Tho the output is hot as lavacakes. Can overload a +4dbu input (!!).
Thanks !
Can't believe that Roland do not specify that anywhere...not in the manual, not on their site, not on the friggin machine either...WTF. Very unprofessional, and not what i am used to from this brand.
Old 5th May 2020
Gear Nut

In lockdown with a System 1 and a laptop. Anyone use one of these as a knobby controller (for non-Roland VSTi synths) that could help me out? It appears that local off decouples the keys but not the knobs. They always affect the internal sound engine no matter what, so I can't really use the internal sounds and control other instruments in the same project at the same time.

Surely I'm doing something wrong and this isn't by design? I'm using a JS midi Channelizer plug in Reaper to route other tracks to seperate channels to get around the fact that you have to power cycle to change midi channel, though I can't see how this could be causing the above. Must say, I actually quite like this synth considering how maligned it is, but that last design decision... Wow
Old 27th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsanddrones View Post
In lockdown with a System 1 and a laptop. Anyone use one of these as a knobby controller (for non-Roland VSTi synths) that could help me out? It appears that local off decouples the keys but not the knobs. They always affect the internal sound engine no matter what, so I can't really use the internal sounds and control other instruments in the same project at the same time.

Surely I'm doing something wrong and this isn't by design? I'm using a JS midi Channelizer plug in Reaper to route other tracks to seperate channels to get around the fact that you have to power cycle to change midi channel, though I can't see how this could be causing the above. Must say, I actually quite like this synth considering how maligned it is, but that last design decision... Wow
Did you find a solution for this?
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawneyBean View Post
Did you find a solution for this?
Yeah, I sold it Good synth for arps and basses, but the lack of velocity on the keybed and some of the envelope behaviour killed it for me in the end. Would be fine in a larger setup, but I strongly prefer minimalism on the gear front and it just never quite fit.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah, I sold it Good synth for arps and basses, but the lack of velocity on the keybed and some of the envelope behaviour killed it for me in the end. Would be fine in a larger setup, but I strongly prefer minimalism on the gear front and it just never quite fit.
Fair enough!

I just picked one up to use as a midi-controller for soft synths, should be good enough for that I believe.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawneyBean View Post
Fair enough!

I just picked one up to use as a midi-controller for soft synths, should be good enough for that I believe.
As long as you don't mind the lack of velocity and size of the keybed, it's fantastic for that. Obv. great for straight up subtractive plugs in particular, as all the typical controls are there and labelled. PG8X and the S1 were a nice combo.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
As long as you don't mind the lack of velocity and size of the keybed, it's fantastic for that. Obv. great for straight up subtractive plugs in particular, as all the typical controls are there and labelled. PG8X and the S1 were a nice combo.
Yeah I don't mind, I'm probably gonna plug in my old Nektar LX88 permanently as soon as it arrives(I've already heard the key board is that bad! ) but as a controller, 70 knobs/dials was too good too pass.

Good call BTW on the PG8X, Martin Lüders is a seriously cool dude in my books!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Does anybody know how to fine tune the System-1?
In the manual of the update it says:

Hold down the [RING] and [SYNC] buttons simultaneously, and
turn the SCATTER [TYPE] dial.

turn the OSC2 [TUNE] knob (added).

I tried it but it's not working.
Maybe some fellow gearslutz know what's up?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kAbLeHeAd View Post
Does anybody know how to fine tune the System-1?
In the manual of the update it says:

turn the SCATTER [TYPE] dial.

turn the OSC2 [TUNE] knob (added).

I tried it but it's not working.
Maybe some fellow gearslutz know what's up?
Is your S1 up to date?
You're trying to fine tune oscillator 2, or the synth as a whole/Master Tune?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yes it's up to date.
But i just realised what i copied from the manual is for coarse tuning. Maybe there is no fine tuning function.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There is but for oscillator 2 only, it's the Tune knob.
If you want to detune your oscillators by a few cents that's what you turn.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I know i can fine tune the 2nd osc but i want to fine tune the first one too. I recorded a track with another synth first and it was a bit out of tune. And now i'm trying to tune the System-1 to it. I could record the first synth again in tune but it was a very good take.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ok, I see. Then it's the Master Tune that you should try:

Master tune setting
Now you can use the following procedure to adjust the master
tuning.
1. While holding down the [SYSTEM-1] button, turn on the
power.

2. While holding down the [HOLD] button, use the jog dial to
adjust the setting.
OCTAVE [DOWN] [UP] buttons lit 440 Hz (default value)
Only the [UP] button lit 440 + (SCATTER LED number) Hz
Only the [DOWN] button lit 440 - (SCATTER LED number) Hz
e.g.)
If the [UP] button and the SCATTER LED (2) are lit, the setting is 442
Hz.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAbLeHeAd View Post
I know i can fine tune the 2nd osc but i want to fine tune the first one too. I recorded a track with another synth first and it was a bit out of tune. And now i'm trying to tune the System-1 to it. I could record the first synth again in tune but it was a very good take.
.. hard lessons .. been there done that!
you could warp your out of tune synth audio file to the right pitch...

i was tuning my artuia mini brute the other day... spend $20 and get a behringer tuner, very useful and not just for guitars!

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thank you! I was hoping i could tune it when it's already on but that should work.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Normally i use a tuner when i start a song with analog synths but sometimes i forget to do it.
📝 Reply