Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kay View Post
I have actually created a whole song out of goat sampling

It didn't sound that BAAAAAAAd

Goat sampling is definitely CHEATING! LOL

Old 24th May 2014
Gear Maniac

At the end of the day using loops is like Micro DJ'ing, celebrating other peoples work, like it's yours...
Reality is, 99.9% of audience are morons, who just are happy to hear "that" sound
The "wow wicked beatz man" comment when someone uses the dreaded VHE construction kits again

Shining exanple:

Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

my goats sampled my pine trees, then they sampled my rose bushes. I really hated how they had 4 acres but peed at my fence next to my kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Using loops is cheating.-music-lover-funny-goat.jpg  
Old 24th May 2014
Gear Maniac

But beware goats no longer take the abuse Onswipe
Old 24th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by poonti View Post
Goat sampling is definitely CHEATING! LOL

Ha ha every time I watch the opening of game of thrones il think of this!!!!
Old 24th May 2014
The forum is infamous for running something not very funny str8 to the dirt Way to go
Old 24th May 2014
Ged
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Nah, and we're not taking about creative sampling either. We're talking about people who use only loops and make whole tracks using only loops. Believe me theres lots of people doing it, I've gotten tracks to remix where the guy didn't even bother to change the names on the samples, 100% pre-fab loops, everything. Its just lame imo. And yes sounds bland at the end of the day.

Ah right gotcha cheers, yeah the whole 'music' loop thing kind of puzzles me a bit - I can understand using a cool perc loop in a track thats already been written from the ground up / just for added decoration so to speak, but using all pre fab loops for Bass /riff's etc.. just is bizarre - It's a shame Vengeance went over to this 'Dark side' with 'Future House'
Old 24th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged View Post
Ah right gotcha cheers, yeah the whole 'music' loop thing kind of puzzles me a bit - I can understand using a cool perc loop in a track thats already been written from the ground up / just for added decoration so to speak, but using all pre fab loops for Bass /riff's etc.. just is bizarre - It's a shame Vengeance went over to this 'Dark side' with 'Future House'
I can see no way it feels rewarding. The main benefit is to learn mixing with them imo... Never release one, but deff learn to mix synths, bass, etc.
Old 24th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
The forum is infamous for running something not very funny str8 to the dirt Way to go
I know right?

A joke becomes a cut-throat misguided sanctimonious argument about who is the most authentic.
Old 24th May 2014
Whats funnier than the original post is folks taking it serious enough to start another debate on the use of loops

Groundhog forum strikes again
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Whats funnier than the original post is folks taking it serious enough to start another debate on the use of loops

Groundhog forum strikes again

I think we might be in a loop...
Old 24th May 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wrong View Post
This.

Shortcuts never really work.
They do, lots of times. Of course, you have to be the first one or the biggest one - then you are an innovator, instead of a copycat.
Old 24th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by APHELEON View Post
lol
Old 24th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
They do, lots of times. Of course, you have to be the first one or the biggest one - then you are an innovator, instead of a copycat.
The creator of the material is the innovator, it's first user just lacks skills....
Old 24th May 2014
Gear Maniac
loops and sampling in general are like djing.

You can say its an art when what you brought to the table measurably improves and changes the original source material. Beyond artist, you can prove you are a master but turning nothing into something as well.

I remember reading the gear lists of my favorite artists and realizing even if I had the same stuff I would not sound like Future Sound of London or Aphex Twin. What I draw from this is a respect for anyone who is such a perfectionist that anything they work on, with just about any tool they tweak it beyond recognition.

tl;dr Art is the physical expression of OCD.
Old 24th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by APHELEON View Post
Please dont let it be vengeance
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
Loops users are cheating, they are still at DUPLO daw level. And it just always sounds like ****e, because the rest of their programming skills are not up to par either. So you hear vengeance or loopmasters ****ty loops and then some youtube riser fx tutorials on top.
A sylenth presetpack lead and some singomasters midi patterns and they call that their new EDM track
But it always shows, because you will find nothing original or authentic in these kind of tracks. My 10 old son does "EDM" too. He can't play a single note, but is pretty good at doing his "research" combining the several building blocks and tuts he finds online. Don't feel threatened by it.
You mean people who only use loops?

Of course that is dull, as is any basic loopy composition and arrangement.
Old 24th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
You mean people who only use loops, and don't really do anything to them bar block arrangement?

Of course that is dull, as is any basic loopy composition and arrangement.
yes, but chopping them in 4 or 16ths doesn't make it much better
The dreaded 8ths "progressive house" (oxymoron) chord/pluck stabs don't help either
Then the pitchshifter youtube tuts are the icing on the cake.
I don't know what people are thinking these days, as if, putting a bitchrusher on top, or doung somethings insignificant and generic with it, makes it theirs.
Learn how to program, what swing / groove and instruments make the genre you're after and at least try it yourself with one shots. Rather than stacking some 128bpm percussion and hihat loops, they sound like ****.
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes, but chopping them in 4 or 16ths doesn't make it much better
The dreaded 8ths "progressive house" (oxymoron) chord/pluck stabs don't help either
Then the pitchshifter youtube tuts are the icing on the cake.
I don't know what people are thinking these days, as if, putting a bitchrusher on top, or doung somethings insignificant and generic with it, makes it theirs.
Learn how to program, what swing / groove and instruments make the genre you're after and at least try it yourself with one shots. Rather than stacking some 128bpm percussion and hihat loops, they sound like ****.
Of course. In the same way programming your own parts is going to be crap unless you get creative and actually make it interesting.

People will make good or crap tracks regardless of the means they use depending on how good they are.
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Loops users are cheating, they are still at DUPLO daw level. And it just always sounds like ****e, because the rest of their programming skills are not up to par either. So you hear vengeance or loopmasters ****ty loops and then some youtube riser fx tutorials on top.
A sylenth presetpack lead and some singomasters midi patterns and they call that their new EDM track
But it always shows, because you will find nothing original or authentic in these kind of tracks. My 10 old son does "EDM" too. He can't play a single note, but is pretty good at doing his "research" combining the several building blocks and tuts he finds online. Don't feel threatened by it.
so what about KarlHeinz Stockhausen's "Gesang der Jünglinge" or the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows"? considered great art work and consisting only loops, not only loops made by themselves.

so what? under every aspect of music there are always people with minor to no skills and people with great skills at what they do. there are people who play guitar while they shouldnt because of their lack of skills (Bob Dylan ... following your definition that people on this kind of low-level skills, that dont know what they are doing, Bob Dylan shouldnt have been allowed to play guitar. what exactly my opinion, but doesnt matter in this context here.)

using loops is allowed. one can make music with whatever he wants to. if the resulting music is interesting or good is a completely different question and can be discussed. its legitime to use loops, legal is also another question. but thats not the point. mankind makes music, since ever, utilizing everything available.
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
so what about KarlHeinz Stockhausen's "Gesang der Jünglinge" or the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows"? considered great art work and consisting only loops, not only loops made by themselves.

so what?
Exactly. Saying any tracks which in use loops in anyway aren't worthy of release means saying at least tens of thousands of great records that millions of people enjoy aren't worthy of release.
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Old 24th May 2014
Gear Maniac

These guys pulled it off

It shows that if you audience know the source material you can be hugely succesful. They might have their Milli Vanilli moment later. Or not and are just counting cash
Old 24th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Exactly. Saying any tracks which in use loops in anyway aren't worthy of release means saying at least tens of thousands of great records that millions of people enjoy aren't worthy of release.
No one said they were not release worthy ?!? A lot of **** is released and as long as your audience consumes it you're fine. This is more about ones personal fulfillment.
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Are you ready for this one? Ok, here goes:

Life is a loop.

Getting all philosophical and shiiiiit.
Old 24th May 2014
Electronic music is cheating.
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
No one said they were not release worthy ?!? A lot of **** is released and as long as your audience consumes it you're fine. This is more about ones personal fulfillment.
teknatronik mentioned not releasing anything that used loops, but maybe he was just talking about tracks which were entirely pre-made loops, which is fair enough, and yeah, there would be no fulfilment from that IMO.
Old 24th May 2014
Quote:
I love chopping up and manipulating music loops. Typically from old records mind but i'm no stranger to chopping up and replaying/processing some parts from sample packs.
I love chopping up a bit of goat myself, way tasty.

Quote:
Hip-hop is basically built around flipping musical loops.
yes yes we're not talking about creative sampling! I like hip-hop and dj shadow as much as the next man...

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search