The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
USB Hubs
Old 14th May 2014
  #1
Lives for gear
 

USB Hubs

I am using a 2011 iMac and I have run out of USB ports, a long time ago. I am currently using 2 USB hubs, which are full at the moment.

This iMac uses only USB 2.0, but I was wondering if buying a 10 port USB 2.0 hub would suffice for all my outboard USB/MIDI gear? As we all would like, I am trying to minimize MIDI I/O latency as much as possible.

I also have the option of getting a USB 3.0 hub and connecting it (somehow) to the eSata port on the iMac for more speed, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

Thoughts?
Old 14th May 2014
  #2
I am in the situation and am looking at rackmount USB hubs.

One thing I will say: in my experience, not all legacy devices are compatible with USB 3.0, despite claims to the contrary. This is particularly true for some keyboards and mice. Most high port-count USB hubs/switches I've come across are 3.0 or 2.0, but it would be nice to find one with a combination of both.
Old 14th May 2014
  #3
Gear Nut
 
unrelatednotes's Avatar
 

I'm currently using two 7-port powered USB hubs. I've got all of the computer peripherals (i.e. external HDs, wireless kb/mouse, etc.) attached to one and my MIDI controllers and synths attached to the other one.

This setup works great for me with no noticeable latency. I attach my soundcard directly to the computer via a dedicated USB port. Attaching a soundcard to a hub introduces significant latency on my system.

As long as it has it's own power supply, you should be able to use a 10-port hub with no problem.

Sorry, I can't speak to the USB 3.0 question.
Old 14th May 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 

There are huge differences in USB hubs.. as anyone with a Virus TI will tell you

Look for one with multiple transaction translators, or your system can get choked by usb1.1 devices.

I have a couple of these..
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Plugable USB 2.0 10 Port Hub (12.5W Power Adapter),
and details are here
Plugable USB2-HUB10C2 USB 2.0 10 Port Hub with Tw Flip-Up Charging Ports and 20W Power Supply | Plugable
Old 14th May 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
There are huge differences in USB hubs.. as anyone with a Virus TI will tell you

Look for one with multiple transaction translators, or your system can get choked by usb1.1 devices.

I have a couple of these..
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Plugable USB 2.0 10 Port Hub (12.5W Power Adapter),
and details are here
Plugable USB2-HUB10C2 USB 2.0 10 Port Hub with Tw Flip-Up Charging Ports and 20W Power Supply | Plugable
That's the exact one I was looking at. So it seems to be a go then. I can't imagine MIDI taking much bandwidth, but I just wasn't sure how a hub with 10 synths connected to it would handle it since it is a "serial" bus. Also, USB 2.0 can only run in 1 direction, either to or from, but USB3.0 can run in both, simultaneously. Either way, I think this unit will suit me well for now.
Old 14th May 2014
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
Here are some ideas.

12 Volt USB hub Industrial 4-Port USB 2.0 Powered Hub for PC-MAC DIN-RAIL Mount USB-HUB-12Volt $57.99

LinITX.com - Carnetix CNX-P5USB DC-Powered 4-Port USB Hub

LARGE SELECTION
Usb Rack Mount Hub Electronics: Buy Online from Fishpond.co.uk

USB2
USB Hub - 7 Port Industrial USB 2.0 Hub, Metal

USB3
LINDY USB 3.0 Hub Withstands the Rigours of Industrial Life | Lindy

USB3 WIKI
USB 3.0 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The use of unicasting and the limited multicasting of packets, combined with asynchronous notifications, enables links that are not actively passing packets to be put into reduced power states, allowing for better power management."

interestingly, in this video the guy shows the specific port for an iPad.
that might indicate that there may well be numerous problems with trying to use ports for just power, such as charging.
or problems with units being powered down when no data activity is being sensed.



my hunch for a rack application would be to figure out how to make one yourself. use 2 or 3 individual devices mounted into a rack
or onto a rack mounting plate. that way you could mount what you want and whatever orientation you want. even potentially the PSU's. even the plugged wallwart kinds could be dismantled. you can then have one for USB 3 one for USB 2 and maybe one for straight ahead powering functions. there are dedicated low priced 5 port USB powerstations on ebay.

I guess you could even use those PC case rack USB units as well. given the right method to give them power.
better than putting out a large amount of money for a USB 3 Rack and find it creates a bunch of issues.
Old 25th August 2014
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Hi all , am facing dead end to an issue ....I am planning to buy novation launchpad 49/61 to use it with my IPAd 4. However I also want to hear what I am recording through my hs50m's which are connected to scarlett 6i6 ... So basically I want to route novation keyboard through scarlett which is connected to ipad4 any idea on workable solution to this ... "Basically connecting both midi keyboard and 6i6 to my ipad4". Can a powered USB hub solve my problem without latency ... In the audio signal flow... If yes which one is tried and tested ... Appreciate any direction or advice here
Old 25th August 2014
  #8
Here for the gear
Related question...

I bought one of these for my home desk set up.

Insignia™ - 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub - NS-PCH5721 | Insignia

I am running a basic 2013 MBP. Focusrite 2i4 goes to one USB port, the 7-port Hub above goes to the second. Hooked up to the hub I have a Maschine MK2, Launchpad mini, Axiom 25 midi controller and a MiniBrute.

I am trying to troubleshoot 2 issues.

1) For some reason Ableton Live 9 stopped recognizing the Axiom 25 once I introduced the USB hub.

and 2) I find when I power on the minibrute, it knocks out power to the Launchpad and Maschine. Both devices start flashing and the Maschine screen gets all 'garbled.'

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 25th August 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisgraham View Post
Related question...

I bought one of these for my home desk set up.

Insignia™ - 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub - NS-PCH5721 | Insignia

I am running a basic 2013 MBP. Focusrite 2i4 goes to one USB port, the 7-port Hub above goes to the second. Hooked up to the hub I have a Maschine MK2, Launchpad mini, Axiom 25 midi controller and a MiniBrute.

I am trying to troubleshoot 2 issues.

1) For some reason Ableton Live 9 stopped recognizing the Axiom 25 once I introduced the USB hub.

and 2) I find when I power on the minibrute, it knocks out power to the Launchpad and Maschine. Both devices start flashing and the Maschine screen gets all 'garbled.'

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Erm, you already have done the trouble shooting..

"For some reason..x stopped working..once I introduced the USB hub"

Get rid of the hub or try a different one.
Old 25th August 2014
  #10
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
you want hubs which can supply 0.5 Amps to each port properly.
if you had a 7 port hub, your PSU would need to output of 3.5 Amps to 5V.
which is about 17.5 Watts.

hence why I use either Belkin or Lindy. I think the Belkin 7 port hub performs better than
the 4 port in my experience. and when I take them apart, the components confirm that experience.
Old 25th August 2014
  #11
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump View Post
Erm, you already have done the trouble shooting..

"For some reason..x stopped working..once I introduced the USB hub"

Get rid of the hub or try a different one.
Yes. I have identified the USB hub is creating the problem, but as I have never used one in my rig, I didn't know if this might be a common occurrence with a fix that I might not know about. $20 bucks seemed to good to be true, so my choice of USB Hub was definitely an impulse buy without investigating "good" USB hubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
you want hubs which can supply 0.5 Amps to each port properly.
if you had a 7 port hub, your PSU would need to output of 3.5 Amps to 5V.
which is about 17.5 Watts.

hence why I use either Belkin or Lindy. I think the Belkin 7 port hub performs better than
the 4 port in my experience. and when I take them apart, the components confirm that experience.
Does this matter if I am working with a powered hub?
Old 25th August 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 
goony's Avatar
Not all powered hubs are created equally, some have better power rails than others...
Old 25th August 2014
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisgraham View Post
Yes. I have identified the USB hub is creating the problem, but as I have never used one in my rig, I didn't know if this might be a common occurrence with a fix that I might not know about. $20 bucks seemed to good to be true, so my choice of USB Hub was definitely an impulse buy without investigating "good" USB hubs.



Does this matter if I am working with a powered hub?
if you want your hub to work reliably, you need a good one and one which has
the right capability of AMP power for the given number of outlets on the hub.
Old 26th August 2014
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Hi all I am still stuck with my issue ... Can any one help me out with my grid ... Want to connect both scarlett 6i6 and novation launchpad to ipad4 .... Is there any tried and tested solution .... If powered hub is the answer which one should it be....
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump