The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vangelis and his weird synthesizer Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th May 2014
Gear addict

Vangelis and his weird synthesizer

Vangelis And The Journey to Ithaka Documentary excerpt. Now Available - YouTube

Vangelis in this video (see above) he is using a very weird synthesizer …it is like a ‘monster’…it has more than 35 knobs and 100 buttons…I guess this 'monster' was made by the engineers who collaborate with Vangelis…. Or I don't know, maybe it's a regular synthesizer!!! Anyway, the most important thing is that it sounds great!

If someone knows details about this machine, I would much appreciate it…
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George321 View Post

If someone knows details about this machine, I would much appreciate it…
It's a custom midi controller system essentially. Details here:

View topic - Vangelis' newer custom setup explained!!!
Old 4th May 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub View Post
It's a custom midi controller system essentially. Details here:

View topic - Vangelis' newer custom setup explained!!!
Thanks.

I guess with this machine he can handle simultaneously a bunch of synthesizers, and using at the same time different sounds from different sources, he can achieve awesome improvisations...!
Old 5th May 2014
Lives for gear

I believe it was Quasimidi that created that controller for him. That company is now gone if I'm correct, they also had a few VA synths.
Old 5th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdi View Post
I believe it was Quasimidi that created that controller for him. That company is now gone if I'm correct, they also had a few VA synths.
Nope, it was Yes audio. The first system was designed by Bill Marshall who also did the Zyklus MPS
Old 5th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by George321 View Post
Vangelis And The Journey to Ithaka Documentary excerpt. Now Available - YouTube

Vangelis in this video (see above) he is using a very weird synthesizer …it is like a ‘monster’…it has more than 35 knobs and 100 buttons…I guess this 'monster' was made by the engineers who collaborate with Vangelis…. Or I don't know, maybe it's a regular synthesizer!!! Anyway, the most important thing is that it sounds great
It looks great, with amazing performance features but he sticks to old digital synths that IMO actually DONT sound great at all
Old 5th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Planet View Post
Nope, it was Yes audio. The first system was designed by Bill Marshall who also did the Zyklus MPS
Hmmm.. I saw in an interview he mentions Quasimidi for his controller in the late 90s. Looks like the same one
Old 5th May 2014
Lives for gear

I think I prefer when he used a couple of CS-80s live instead of this big Masterkeyboard controlling General MIDI synths
Old 17th May 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Hmmm.. I saw in an interview he mentions Quasimidi for his controller in the late 90s. Looks like the same one
I think his favored MIDI controller is the Korg T1

Klaus Schulze was the artist I recall who seemed really into Quasimidi and working with them. He did shows with a whole wall of Quasimidi racks disappointingly replacing a wall of Moog.

Can't think of pics of Vangelis with Quasimidi gear.

It gets me wondering what his goals are though. I keep thinking all along maybe he's hearing a mostly conventional orchestra in his head and now has means to realize it, either through people he trusts to transcribe it or via layered ROMplers.

But of course much of what probably gets most of his fans going are the older, analog, not realistic sounds augmented by some acoustic playing and very thrilling arrangement of really solid melodies. I guess that's in contrast to classical sounding music that's got some of him in it but isn't always that outstanding.
Old 17th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Oh, sorry I was referring to the system not the keyboard. Basically the system is a midi controller minus the keyboard
Old 18th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisnick View Post
I think his favored MIDI controller is the Korg T1

Klaus Schulze was the artist I recall who seemed really into Quasimidi and working with them. He did shows with a whole wall of Quasimidi racks disappointingly replacing a wall of Moog.

Can't think of pics of Vangelis with Quasimidi gear.

It gets me wondering what his goals are though. I keep thinking all along maybe he's hearing a mostly conventional orchestra in his head and now has means to realize it, either through people he trusts to transcribe it or via layered ROMplers.

But of course much of what probably gets most of his fans going are the older, analog, not realistic sounds augmented by some acoustic playing and very thrilling arrangement of really solid melodies. I guess that's in contrast to classical sounding music that's got some of him in it but isn't always that outstanding.
Yeah, Vangelis never owned any Quasimidi branded stuff.

Vangelis himself already banged analog synths over three decades so I guess that he sees his new setup better and more inspiring. after all, for his entire life he was after entirely live and immediate setup than "analog setup" per se. In other hand Vangelis constantly empasized that he never threw anything away and he actually still uses CS-80 and you can hear it even from new soundtracks!

And yes, I created that article about his setup

About the video, here's much better quality!

Old 18th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogGuy View Post
Yeah, Vangelis never owned any Quasimidi branded stuff.

Vangelis himself already banged analog synths over three decades so I guess that he sees his new setup better and more inspiring. after all, for his entire life he was after entirely live and immediate setup than "analog setup" per se. In other hand Vangelis constantly empasized that he never threw anything away and he actually still uses CS-80 and you can hear it even from new soundtracks!

And yes, I created that article about his setup

About the video, here's much better quality!

*jaw dropped*

nice to see that he uses a Korg M3
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search