The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can somebody listen to this filter clip and tell me if something is wrong
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Can somebody listen to this filter clip and tell me if something is wrong

Moog little phatty::When resonance is turned all the way up and the cutoff is down/envelope amount is at about 3 oclock it makes a weird ring modulator/pulsing type sound? Is this normal behavior? Is the pulsing the sine thats being created from the self oscillation? ALso sometimes while i'm holding down a note and switch between the filter buttons it sounds like there's a little jump in pitch? Please take a listen and tell me if the filter sounds normal..Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/maddddio/moog-filter/s-SVNOT
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

If you have the Filter EG Amount turned up, it is going to apply the filter envelope to the filter, as the notes are played.

As the filter is opening and closing, due to the filter envelope, it will sound different on different notes, and react more with the frequency of the note, as it sweeps over the frequency of the note being played.

Is that what you are hearing, the filter opening and closing due to the filter envelope being applied to the filter cutoff, as the notes are being played?

Is the Filter KB Amount turned up as well?

Do you understand what the Filter EG Amount and Filter KB Amount are supposed to do?

What does it sound like with Filter KB Amount and Filter EG Amount turned all the way down?
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
If you have the Filter EG Amount turned up, it is going to apply the filter envelope to the filter, as the notes are played.

Is that what you are hearing, the filter opening and closing due to the filter envelope being applied to the filter cutoff, as the notes are being played?

Is the Filter KB Amount turned up as well?

Do you understand what the Filter EG Amount and Filter KB Amount are supposed to do?

What does it sound like with Filter KB Amount and Filter EG Amount turned all the way down?
Yeah I know what the filter envelope/amount is...not so much the KB. It's the distorted/vibrating type sound when in self oscillation that's making me worried
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

when the KB amount is up it doesn't make the ring type sound..I guess when it isn't every time it goes up in pitch the sines become faster and make a ring type effect?
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

The KB Amount will open the cutoff frequency of the filter the higher the notes are up the keyboard, it will open it less on lower notes, and open it more on higher notes.

Is there anywhere in your sound example where the distorted/vibrating sound you are referring to is more noticeable/worse, what times in the example?
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
The KB Amount will open the cutoff frequency of the filter the higher the notes are up the keyboard, it will open it less on lower notes, and open it more on higher notes.

Is there anywhere in your sound example where the distorted/vibrating sound you are referring to is more noticeable/worse, what times in the example?
Thank you, and at 2:41- 2:58
Old 15th April 2014
Sounds like a high resonance oscillating Moog filter to me. Because of what it is, it's always going to be a tad touchy and somewhat out of control sounding. The pitch of the oscillation is probably interacting with your vco's in a way that gives you some atonal "beating" that sounds ring mod-ish. I do hear a little steppy thing happening when you're sweeping at a certain frequency range, but nothing too severe.
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by major7th View Post
Sounds like a high resonance oscillating Moog filter to me. Because of what it is, it's always going to be a tad touchy and somewhat out of control sounding. The pitch of the oscillation is probably interacting with your vco's in a way that gives you some atonal "beating" that sounds ring mod-ish. I do hear a little steppy thing happening when you're sweeping at a certain frequency range, but nothing too severe.
yeah I was thinking..it's just the characteristic of the ladder filter..and yeah the different vibrating speeds at different pitches is exactly what my ringmodulator does...self oscillation is a sine so it probably acts the same way
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

so my filter is alright guys? lol
Old 15th April 2014
I don't have that synth, so I can't directly compare. I do have a Moog ladder clone in a Waldorf module that is older and equally cranky it high resonance. Actually there are 2 in the unit and each is cranky and kind of unpredictable in different ways. I always thought of the new Moogs as tame and smooth, so I could see how this quirk that you noticed might stand out. You could always run your mp3 and concern by Moog customer support. Couldn't hurt.
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by major7th View Post
I don't have that synth, so I can't directly compare. I do have a Moog ladder clone in a Waldorf module that is older and equally cranky it high resonance. Actually there are 2 in the unit and each is cranky and kind of unpredictable in different ways. I always thought of the new Moogs as tame and smooth, so I could see how this quirk that you noticed might stand out. You could always run your mp3 and concern by Moog customer support. Couldn't hurt.
Thanks man. I looked up other videos of moogs in self oscillation and they do the same thing, I figured out it's the sine wave from self oscillation interfering with different pitches making that ring/pulsing sound.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search