The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm Screwed (Missing screws from rack gear) Saturation Plugins
Old 12th April 2014
Gear Addict

I'm Screwed (Missing screws from rack gear)

This is a long shot, but I've had no luck with the manuals, online research or at the local hardware stores. I'm hoping someone here will know what the standards are for the following small screws in terms of size or thread count:

1. EMU 1u rack ear connectors (for Mo'Phatt, Orbit, etc., series).
I have one of these and have the rack ear pieces, but not the small screws that attach the rack ears to the unit.

2. Rack tray attachment for Kurzweil Micropiano
These are the small mounting screws that fit holes on the bottom of the unit to attach it to a universal rack tray. I have an X5DR with small mounting screws, and they seem to be the correct size, but wrong thread count.

Does anyone know what these should be?
Old 12th April 2014
Look for a local fastener store, like Fastenal and pack your unit in and they can find the size.

My guess is they are 4-40 and about 1/4-3/8" long.
Old 12th April 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know them particularly, but 3mm screws are by far the most common for these things in my experience. I take a lot of (s)crap gear apart and I tend to save the screws.
Old 12th April 2014
Gear Addict

Thanks a bunch for the responses, guys. I appreciate it! I live in a smaller town, so no specialty fastener stores - just the typical big box home improvement places. I do have a bunch of leftover screws from various computers and gear over the years, but no luck yet.

I tried a standard hard drive rail mounting screw (about 3mm shaft) on the Emu and it threads correctly, but is too short to grab when I'm using the rack ear. That gives me a good starting place, though.

The X5DR screw is smaller diameter than the 3mm hard drive screw and about 6mm long, so I may be able to dig one of those up from friends.

If anyone has other recommendations, please go ahead and make them. I may end up buying a "hell box" assortment online and digging around until I find something that works.
Old 12th April 2014
Lives for gear
You could try "self tapping" screws..screws that cut their own thread.
Just get them the same diameter or a tad above the original screw diameter. Make sure they are not too long as to damage any internals
This is a UK site…but it gives the info
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...rews/d90/sd750

I have also used those Dry Wall screws, they are incredibly hard but usually come in one diameter only…but various lengths

Self tapping screws are only good for say…anything under 1/8th….3mm thickness
Old 12th April 2014
Lives for gear
Failing that….Epoxy resin is super strong, if you sure that you will not want to remove the ears
Old 12th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Oh god no, don't do that - the fastening isn't that strong and it will ruin it for anything else. Self-tapping screws are meant to go into an unthreaded drilled hole, using them as connectors is a terrible idea. Sorry Macky, but a solution that damages the gear is not IMHO a good solution. OP might want to seel the gear in the future, or indeed right now.

OP, you say you have big-box stores in your town, I presume a home depot or Lowes. You should be able to find a callipers there in the tool section, which is a small device like a sliding ruler for measuring the dimensions of holes. If not look on amazon, it's a handy thing to have and cheap. You may get lucky with the home improvement store's screw selection, Home Depot has a huge selection and you could get ones that are a bit too long and cut them down with a Dremel tool. Failing that, measure the diameter of the hole and probe the interior depth using a cocktail stick and then get the screws you need on Amazon or a specialty electronics supply site like Mouser.
Old 12th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Oh god no, don't do that - the fastening isn't that strong and it will ruin it for anything else. Self-tapping screws are meant to go into an unthreaded drilled hole, using them as connectors is a terrible idea. Sorry Macky, but a solution that damages the gear is not IMHO a good solution. OP might want to seel the gear in the future, or indeed right now..
I disagree
but lets not detract
Old 12th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please do not do this!

Get something that fits.

Quote:
Failing that….Epoxy resin is super strong, if you sure that you will not want to remove the ears
Wow! I hope I am never unlucky enough to buy something that you have owned, and messed up with these f'ed up repair methods!
Old 12th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quick update on my progress. You know how sometimes you search and search and can't find something and the minute you ask someone else where it is you remember?

Well, this isn't exactly like that, but I'm on the right path. I discovered that the small screws used in a lot of home audio gear (e.g., amp, CD carousel, etc.) to fasten the metal covers on the chassis are exactly the right size for the MicroPiano mount holes. So those, I'm pretty confident I can either locate or cannibalize from other gear around the house. They're the black ones with a pretty wide thread.

The rack ear attachment holes can take hard drive rail mount screws (the ones that screw directly into the hard drive on the bottom to mount to a plate) but they need to be another 1-2mm in length to get through the rack ear.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. If I ever find an exact specification for these, I'll update to this thread.
Old 18th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Glad you found a solution.
Hardware-hardware issues can be annoying, but then you end up with a lot of spare parts after searching.

I have some info regarding E-MU E4 series samplers and their ears, and since I couldn't find this information anywhere on teh interwebs, I thought I'd post it here so someone else doesn't to guess what hardware they need.

I finally tracked down some rack ears for my 6400 Ultra, but didn't receive all the screws required to fasten to the body of the sampler.

I picked up some new stainless steel screws, hopefully stronger than the generic zinc plated ones (maybe) and won't cause any unwanted corrosion with the metal body of the sampler (galvanic corrosion, probably only if I use the sampler immersed in salt water or something.

(4) screws 8-32 3/8" long per rack ear
(4) split washers per rack ear

I'd say only about 3-4 threads bite into the internal frame of the sampler, and it required a bit more forward force (to compress the split washer) before the first thread would bite.
I believe the original screws had an captured locking washer (the ones that are * shaped). Of the 4 that came with my rack ears, 3 were pretty much stripped to the point of being useless.

Hope this info is useful for someone.

Cheers!
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

Figure out the screw size and order a pack of 10 from eBay in whatever length you need. Or buy a bunch of sizes. They are dirt cheap and you'll probably use them.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search