The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Akai MPC (standalone!)... Who's into it? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 14th November 2016
Gear Head

Old 14th November 2016
Lives for gear

Old 15th December 2016
Here for the gear

Old 15th December 2016
Kja
Lives for gear
I hate the new design with lights around the pads, it looks cheap and "grooveboxy". I guess it's nice feature but I just don't like it. Mpc used to be "professional" looking.. Leave the Christmas tree thing for synths.. They are supposed to look like that.
Old 15th December 2016
Here for the gear

I Like the news Design, but it was obvisiously that would be the design since the mpd series and the mpc studio were made black
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear
isnt that picture from the windows akai press thingy two years back?
where they announced the stand alone runnin embedded windows and showcased a mpc ren painted black with a ipad bolted on top pretty much?
(and now its not running on windows, and still no 2.0 software)

akai better buy me flowers and chocolate and take me to a fancy restaraunt if i am going to regain any trust.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakapow View Post
isnt that picture from the windows akai press thingy two years back?
where they announced the stand alone runnin embedded windows and showcased a mpc ren painted black with a ipad bolted on top pretty much?
(and now its not running on windows, and still no 2.0 software)

akai better buy me flowers and chocolate and take me to a fancy restaraunt if i am going to regain any trust.
The Microsoft demo unit:

The latest leak:

Different, so looks like it could be the new unit
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear
Ok ok. I gotta give em that, this looks somewhat different
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Hmmm ... I would have gone with a completely different design .. this seams like its inviting to allot of physical movement in practice..
A bit over the the top maybe, but at least some manufactures are showing some balls .. I´m looking at you volca !
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

DAMN! I'm SO in. I can't wait to see what they come up with. I've been wanting a modern Akai for years, I used their stand alone recorder the DPS24 for years and it was a top notch machine. Love the look of the wave editing screen too. This is wicked.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Please be true, even though I have recently committed myself to Live for sampling ...
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Just noticed the LED rings are missing in the QLink knobs on the new picture. But, zooming in on the new picture shows mini displays on top of each knob. So you can read what is assigned to it! Cool.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

I was thinking about it more, I'd like it to be a nice heavy machine, with 4 aux sends, two for a dedicated effects box and two to reamp stereo sources. A nice dedicated hardware effects box is all I need, everything is guitar pedals.

And adding just ONE dedicated nice fader would really make work flow... Flow. I would love to get a nice quality stand alone machine, learn it inside and out, and just stick with it. I see this potential new MPC as somewhat of a stand alone Push2 without the computer, should sound great with no corners cut on quality controls. If so, just name your price Akai.
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Believers.....

Believers everywhere.

Dreamers dream, believers believe.

Neither is negative but one is more positive.

Which one are you ?

Cheers
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Believers.....

Believers everywhere.

Which one are you ?

Cheers
I believe in my MPC 4000.
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Wow that's awesome, I'm all in.

It looks like it should come with hinges and a hard case so you can carry it on a plane like a briefcase. It looks like a data assassin's weapon.

Guys, IMO the problem w Akai hasn't really been the hardware, but the software. Aksys for instance, was a great idea but buggy, so it put me off Akai software.

Then I saw the Ren, and I bought it, but it was frustrating watching them get it together through the various revs; I remember at one point, if you tried to put more than 10 patterns together in song mode, it would start re-arranging all your patterns, and that was one of the later revs.... you had to keep downgrading.

Latest iterations are just about there, though; this guy Pete was pretty good, the later rev's of the MPC software are pretty good.

So now, the software is running good, the concept is brilliant, but they have to spend so much time optimizing it for the various computer configs out there, USB 2, USB 3, (not to mention Mac updating OSX etc etc), it's tough to get all the bugs out.

So, a lean, mean, CPU / hard drive running their software, WITH the ability to host 3rd party VSTi or AU please, very low latency, would be awesome.

The MPC 2.0 software will have audio tracks (allegedly), so, now it's not a Midi Production Center but a Music Production Center.

If it's got good mic pres, good converters, and it's quiet, you can make a record with it on the road. Or, you could make the whole production, explode your individual tracks onto a thumb drive, and upload them to your mix engineer. You can make your whole 2nd album while you're on tour supporting the first! Even in an Econoline!

How much?!?!

EDIT, it appears it's got a mini card AND it will be wireless; the thumb drive isn't needed.

Last edited by soultrane; 17th December 2016 at 05:43 PM..
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Is that 4 line in's in the front?

LOL next year some young teen kid is going to be gifted with this, a Deep Mind 12, and a Minilogue and he's still going to whine about his equipment.
Old 17th December 2016
Matrix Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
You put your Timbre Wolf in there.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

If that's real I like the black but not the red. They could have made the grid 8 X 8 or bigger. Hopefully better effects.
Old 18th December 2016
Matrix Modulator

It would be nice if there was more realtime control of sample parameters, etc.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Uhhh... 16 Q-links knobs assignable to anything you wish is not enough?
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
That's Gearslutz; feature requests on a product with probably a 50-50 chance of ever getting to market....
Old 18th December 2016
Matrix Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
Hey, if they are assignable to any parameter, great.

How extensively can you manipulate and deconstruct a sample in realtime?
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

If Akai's track record is any indication of future performance, any new standalone will be loaded with bugs that will take years to resolve.

The standalone MPC4000 works for me.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

LOL next year some young teen kid is going to be gifted with this, a Deep Mind 12, and a Minilogue and he's still going to whine about his equipment.
What bugs did Aksys have?

Quote:
That's Gearslutz; feature requests on a product with probably a 50-50 chance of ever getting to market....
I asked for XY effects in plugin mode.

More VIP integration.

An LCD or screen identifying the q links

A ribbon controller like an omnichord for the touchscreen.

An enhancement for the explode tracks feature.

Either they listen or I'm on the same page as other people. Roughy speaking 3 out of 5 implemented isn't bad. It wouldn't hurt to put in a feature request.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Aksys wasn't stable on certain platforms; I could never get it to transfer samples to my S5000 for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a stretch before it would crash, and 50/50 it would be able to recognize the sampler on start up.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that small companies can't possibly test every configuration of every peripheral with every OS; even BIG companies can't.

The 2.0 software, if it works as good as the current rev WITH good implementation of audio tracking, is a pretty big development; it's basically the first hardware DAW, (not counting stuff like the Kronos, Motif etc., which alot of their users never even touch the onboard sequencer.)

We'll see...
Old 19th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Believers.....

Believers everywhere.

Which one are you ?

Cheers
When you're a dreamer, you believe.
When you're realistic, you think.
Old 19th December 2016
Here for the gear

Expanded version of MPC Touch?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search