The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
creamware minimax ASB
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
creamware minimax ASB

Hi fellow Slutz. I want to get a Creamware minimax ASB. I've read the SOS review from 2005 and it got qiute a good review but vintagesynth seem to have missed it completely?. Anyway, I wanna get the views from owners (ether current or previous) of this Moog clone to find out if its worth me bothering to try and track one down, and how much one would go for at today's "used".
prices. Should I only go for one that's already been upgraded to v 2.0 OS, as I've read that updating it requires computer software and a key code! and without this your stumpt! Also, Sonic core, who took over the ASB products when Creamware went tits up, no longer do ANY support for it.. So slutz, is it any good. I've listened to it on you tube videos
so I know how GOOD it sounds but how reliable is it? Is it usable stable with the earlier software (pre v 2.0) in case I can't get an updated one. I plan to use this with my Ensoniq SD1 sequencer, any problems running it with a hardware sequencer?

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have one. I love it.

A clone of a Minimoog is a very hard thing to do, not to emulate the oscs themselves, but the quirks and idiosyncrasies that make the Minimoog so great.

The Minimax can be seen as a perfect, perhaps too perfect a copy. Its obviousley stable, doesn't go out of tune, and every minimax sounds the same. These can be seen as faults in a way.

The Polyphony, can give you a rough approximation of a MemoryMoog. Certainly closer than anything else i've heard. Mine has been very stable.

I wouldn't think twice about buying it. Its a very good VA approximation of classic mono.

Don't know if you seen this vid, but it can really growl low down.

Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict
Hi Flat earth.
Thanks No, I havent seen that vid, and I think I've seen most of them. What OS is yours running on?
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Latest version. Was on when I got it. I don't really sequence mine. I have it linked to Nord synth and use it mainly as a lead synth. Its really fun playing it polyphonically as you get a poly Minimoog which really can do some great MM style power chord stuff.

My only worry is if it ever plays up, whether anyone would be able to service/fix it. Im thinking of buying a small 2/2.5 octave keyboard and building it into a Minimoog style case.
Old 20th March 2014
SDC
Gear Addict

Im trying to recreate this patch on my Model D with no luck.
I think i will sell it to found the minimax

Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

I like my minimax better than my voyager rme.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have one here. I almost sold it a couple of yeqrs ago. So, I sampled a whole bunch of it into my Ultra, and then realized that it sounded so good that I changed my mind (came to my senses). It's really a gem of a synth because as Flat Earth pointed out,, it really offers that whole Model D experience, and really so close. I find it an extremely musical synth. And yes,, polyphonic as well if you want. It's very well built, and you don't see these around much anymore. I'm not a collector, but the value of these will increase over time. A very tactile hands on synth that allows you to create Moog sounds very quickly. the architecture is identical to the Model D. with a few extras thrown in.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict

I sold mine because although it's good, it wasn't any better than software for my needs (unlike the real analogues, which I use, where I really feel the difference). It was a shame poor Creamware went under as i think they did some good stuff.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkonkkrete View Post
I sold mine because although it's good, it wasn't any better than software for my needs (unlike the real analogues, which I use, where I really feel the difference). It was a shame poor Creamware went under as i think they did some good stuff.
I have some real analog here..in my opinion,,, the Minimax is better than any software.. The real advantage is obvious.. It has a phenomenal tactile interface... it's a replica of a model D in that regard. Grab a knob and twist it.. no mouse required. That alone is a huge advantage. Is it a Modle D in terms of a sonic footprint? Actually... extremely close.. yes.. i detect that "digital sheen" when I listen for it. But what I have really come to terms with lately is that these differences exist , but they aren't deal breakers. The Minimax is a device that can really inspire you to make music and sounds given that interface. It's difficult to quantify the value of that....but it's relevant.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
I like my minimax better than my voyager rme.
There was a thread on some moog forum quite a time back where they tested a Voyager and Minimax together, to see which could get closest to the original Mini's sound. Its was concluded (by Moog purists) that the Minimax captured its charactor better. I know that the Voyager isn't a MM, but thats still some feat for a VA to sound closer than a 'similar' Moog instrument.

I also agree, the tactile interface makes the Minimax so much better than software, or the near identical Plugiator box.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict
Ok that's all good to know, but can we get onto the other points like how good is it on the earlier OS or is it better to get one that's already on the later OS.? Is there a problem with the knobs not going all the way to zero, or was this corrected in the later OS?
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the synthman View Post
Ok that's all good to know, but can we get onto the other points like how good is it on the earlier OS or is it better to get one that's already on the later OS.? Is there a problem with the knobs not going all the way to zero, or was this corrected in the later OS?
That's a good thought... I have an earlier OS. I do believe that if you contact Sonic Core somebody there will hook you up with the most recent OS. I should do it. They helped me with my Noah. I really want to see Sonic Core succeed. I think we will see great things emerge from that company if they continue to remain viable.
Old 20th March 2014
Deleted User
I've never heard of any problems of this nature with the Minimax ASB. I have one of the last batch of Sonic Core Minimax's produced. I think i updated mine when i got it, and i can't even remember when i got mine new.

It is the closest thing you will ever get to a minimoog. But patch saving is slightly archaic on the minimax. you have to use a preset first edit it and then save it. you cannot edit your user patch and resave it.

The update may or may not have resolved this problem with knobs not going to zero, but i have never heard of any such problems like this.

I think one update resolved some sort of stepping on the filter section, and it smoothed out the stepping totally.

The ASB boxes are quite scarce and very rarely show up for sale on ebay, if they do the price often exceeds what they originally sold for!
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict
"If you are going to get a minimax, you best get a sonic core one"

Why? They are both the same, and Its no longer supported by them, at least that's what it says on their web site.

And wasn't there a problem with hung notes
when used with a sequencer?
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

There's no reason to get a Sonic Core one over a Creamware one. Any limited support will be for all ASBs - firmware updates mainly.

Of interest is that Ferrofish re-released the B4000 ASB, I wonder if he'll ever re-release the others? I'm not sure if he has all the rights and tech specs for the other ASB models, but probably worth shooting him an email:

FERROFISH A16 MK-II

If you haven't already visited planet z go there as there is an ASB forum:

Planet Z • View forum - ASB and Klangbox
Old 20th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
And wasn't there a problem with hung notes
when used with a sequencer?
not that i know of... no problems with mine using a sequencer. Although this might occur if you send it too much midi information.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
not that i know of... no problems with mine using a sequencer. Although this might occur if you send it too much midi information.
Ok thanks. There is one on eBay starting at £500. Don't know what OS version is on it. Seems a bit steep to me. Is it?
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok thanks. There is one on eBay starting at £500. Don't know what OS version is on it. Seems a bit steep to me. Is it?
If you look on 'completed items' view, you will see the last few sold from £375 to £450.

Might be worth sending the seller this info and put in an offer. If he's also selling somewhere else (SOS, Gumtree etc) he might do it cheaper because of getting past fees.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict
Yeah I could do, but it would depend on what OS is on it? I would prefer one that's all ready been updated.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I could do, but it would depend on what OS is on it? I would prefer one that's all ready been updated.
Ask him what version. Then if its the latest, try an offer. Worst he can say is no.

Its collection only as well, which will reduce the amount of people interested in it.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict
Funny I've just messaged him about the OS version is on it.
Old 20th March 2014
Deleted User
Last OS is v2.0 dated from 2006. I also have the V2.3 installer software program and the V2.0 .ldr file that i updated my minimax with back then. but you need to contact someone called Ralf Bach @ creamware/sonic core to get the key code. Whether he is still there or not i don't know!
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict
Ok thanks a lot all you guy's.
Old 21st March 2014
SEED78
Any Minimax owners here used the StudioElectronic ATC-1?

I've got to sell off my ATC-1 + other stuff for a expensive preamp purchase - Eventually I might buy another one, OR buy a Minimax instead.

Any comparison opinions regarding sound NOT interface? (yes I know it only has 1 knob...)

midimoog/midimini is also another option I might consider.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict
What about the studio electronics SE-1?
Old 21st March 2014
SEED78
I've never had a SE1, have heard they are good.

I do like the ATC-1. sounds beefy and buzzy - fairly unhappy to sell it, but have a SH2 and want a Redd47 preamp clone built more than I want the ATC1.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
.. Ralf Bach @ creamware/sonic core to get the key code. Whether he is still there or not i don't know!
Ralph is long gone.

ns
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
Ralph is long gone.

ns
So, are S|C still doing the update key?
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I think you got an answer from garyb on the planet z forum, but yes, Sonic Core will generate a key for you. Just email support and they'll see you right.
Old 21st March 2014

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search