The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
creamware minimax ASB
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the synthman View Post
Hi fellow Slutz. I want to get a Creamware minimax ASB. I've read the SOS review from 2005 and it got qiute a good review but vintagesynth seem to have missed it completely?. Anyway, I wanna get the views from owners (ether current or previous) of this Moog clone to find out if its worth me bothering to try and track one down, and how much one would go for at today's "used".
prices. Should I only go for one that's already been upgraded to v 2.0 OS, as I've read that updating it requires computer software and a key code! and without this your stumpt! Also, Sonic core, who took over the ASB products when Creamware went tits up, no longer do ANY support for it.. So slutz, is it any good. I've listened to it on you tube videos
so I know how GOOD it sounds but how reliable is it? Is it usable stable with the earlier software (pre v 2.0) in case I can't get an updated one. I plan to use this with my Ensoniq SD1 sequencer, any problems running it with a hardware sequencer?

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give.

DID you ever pick one up?
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I am willing to sell mine, if anyone is interested.
Old 12th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmo View Post
I am willing to sell mine, if anyone is interested.
I would say hang onto it! I just got one last month. (very rare now)

It sounds fantastic, has great build quality, and is hardware! No vst will work as long as the minimax does, plus it's POLY.
Old 14th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
Thanks for the clarification, although personally I find setting up MIDI CCs a ball ache as I am inherently lazy. I also don't think it would suit the OP, but good to know that you can set up the CCs.

I assume though that if you can't use the edit software then you are 'limited' to storing patches in the module just like regular hardware synths and using SysEx for dumps.
HOW do I set up midi cc's? I'd like to change the modwheel sensitivity on my minimax.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALESIS-ION View Post
HOW do I set up midi cc's? I'd like to change the modwheel sensitivity on my minimax.
Here's a link to the manual, which has the midi cc values listed on page 34.

http://www.polynominal.com/Creamware...max-manual.pdf
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
Here's a link to the manual, which has the midi cc values listed on page 34.

http://www.polynominal.com/Creamware...max-manual.pdf
Thanks. I have the manual but i don't have Any experience with cc's. How can i modify the modwheel sensitivity with this?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks. I have the manual but i don't have Any experience with cc's. How can i modify the modwheel sensitivity with this?
looks like it's easier to do with the software editor (p.25) if you have that. using CCs, it looks like you'd send it a value on CC56 to adjust the Mod Wheel Intensity? not sure if this "sticks" and programs it to stay at that amount or what.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
looks like it's easier to do with the software editor (p.25) if you have that. using CCs, it looks like you'd send it a value on CC56 to adjust the Mod Wheel Intensity? not sure if this "sticks" and programs it to stay at that amount or what.
The software is 10 years old now and is no longer working.
How do i send the cc's to the synth??
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The software is 10 years old now and is no longer working.
How do i send the cc's to the synth??
Why is it not working?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Why is it not working?
That software was mostly for windows. I use mac.
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That software was mostly for windows. I use mac.
Any chance with WINE/WINE Bottler/VM?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Any chance with WINE/WINE Bottler/VM?
Huhh??
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Huhh??
Sorry, perhaps I should have provided some explanation with my question. You can search those terms for yourself though.

WINE and WINE Bottler each provide a level of Windows run time compatibility for some Posix compliant operating systems, such as MacOS. It is certainly not perfect, but some Windows software works sufficiently well with WINE.

Alternatively, I expect a virtual machine hosting a Windows OS should allow you access to the control software.

I haven't tried this though, so was just asking the question. I thought you may have explored these options already.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Depends on what controller you are using to drive the Minimax.

If you are using a keyboard that has programmable slideers/knobs/ or modwheel, you program your controller to transmit that the necessary cc to your Minimax. As you move teh slider/knob/wheel that will affect the amount of wahatever cc you ahve it programmed to.

If you are using a DAW track, you pcan program an envelope to do the same thing (transmit string of cc values on the proper number) which will provide the values to the synth.

If you don't have a programmable controller then you'd have to get something like Korg nanoKontrol, Novation Zero, Behringer BCR2000, Akai LPD8, Peavey PC1600 or some other midi knobs/fader solution. Or a keyboard controller with programmable knobs and faders.
Old 8th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I like my minimax better than my voyager rme.

I don't own a voyager, but must agree with you. Played one and it left me underwhelmed. Got a minimax 3 months ago. FANTASTIC! Really does sound like a minimoog to me.
Old 22nd October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't own a voyager, but must agree with you. Played one and it left me underwhelmed. Got a minimax 3 months ago. FANTASTIC! Really does sound like a minimoog to me.
Well I got a Minimoog Reissue a few months ago, and the Minimax does not sound like it. But it is a great emulation and 12 voices!
Old 22nd October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well I got a Minimoog Reissue a few months ago, and the Minimax does not sound like it. But it is a great emulation and 12 voices!
I have since gotten a minimoog reissue as well. The minimax can get VERY close.
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

minimax asb

Hello kind forum, I am new writing I find the forum very interesting. I am an owner of Minimax ASB, and I have the problem that the control panel no longer responds, only the presets work without the possibility of changes in real time, someone is able to help me? thank you
Old 27th August 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimax1 View Post
Hello kind forum, I am new writing I find the forum very interesting. I am an owner of Minimax ASB, and I have the problem that the control panel no longer responds, only the presets work without the possibility of changes in real time, someone is able to help me? thank you
Have you visited the dedicated planet z ASB forum:

ASB and Klangbox - [email protected]

Last edited by once was...; 27th August 2018 at 01:47 PM..
Old 27th August 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

minimax asb

No, thank you, I provide immediately
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How close does the Minimax ASB come to a Minimoog compared to the Behringer Model D?
πŸ“ Reply