The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland AIRA SYNC BOX MIDI Processors
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
What's this about?
I think they want you to connect everyone else's analogue products with Rolands VA products.
Seems quite clever. Become part of the analogue trend with out producing anything analogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagickite View Post
Not sure why some people are complaining...

what's not to love?
The timing ? I'd like a sync box that actually keep thing's in sync.
Did you listen to the demo all the way through ?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
The timing ? I'd like a sync box that actually keep thing's in sync.
Did you listen to the demo all the way through ?
It's only in the first vid, right?
The alternate shot (same performance) seems ok, or am I missing something?
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

You guys are hilarious, bashing a product that isn't even a product.

Come on let's make a thread and bash the new Roland products of 2018 ... should be fun.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

this is pretty interesting... i wonder if the sync box is slaved to traktor via usb..? sync box aside anyone else notice the kesington slot locks on the rear of all units? it looks like Roland are really aiming for the DJ/Live performance crowd with AIRA..
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I think it's a publicity stunt to associate AIRA with legendary analog, cv/gate, dinsync etc

Seems unlikely this will be an actual commercial product, it's an unusual name just "sync box" not very Rolandy naming

But I'm hoping this will be an actual product you could buy.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn't listen to the first video . I watched the "same performance , different angle" video posted by duvalle , which included some wonky timing towards the end.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik View Post

Seems unlikely this will be an actual commercial product, it's an unusual name just "sync box" not very Rolandy naming
You should jump in your Tardis ,go back to the 1980's and tell Roland not to put the words "Sync box " on their sync boxes (like the SBX80 ) as it's not very Rolandy.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post
You guys are hilarious, bashing a product that isn't even a product.
Not as hilarious as Roland, demonstrating thing's (products or otherwise) that don't work .
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
I didn't listen to the first video . I watched the "same performance , different angle" video posted by duvalle , which included some wonky timing towards the end.
Ok, just checked the beginning which didn't have the 'wood block'.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
It's not even a product, the guy says that's something they did for internal use.
Don't let this stop your Roland bashing spree though...
In the demo he mentions traktor and AIRA for the digital world and then goes on to say "internal use" and mentions analog world

For internal use I think he meant just the hardware internal clocking.

Looking like a real product
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik View Post
In the demo he mentions traktor and AIRA for the digital world and then goes on to say "internal use" and mentions analog world

For internal use I think he meant just the hardware internal clocking.

Looking like a real product
Yeah, he slipped in some subliminal stuff there:

Quote:
We want to open up for the analog world
Step one trying to spin / stretch their mission statement.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Would definitely buy this if it will be reliable (and my guess is it will), it opens up a lot of possibilities in my setup for which device controls what other devices.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

i re-watched the clip..the wording is definitely a lil confusing but keep in mind english clearly isn't the guys first language.. i also think that by internal use he meant for Rolang gear.. i think it's definitely a future product (albeit in prototype phase) the whole point of the demo was basically showcasing the sync box.. Future Music mag even titles the YT clip: MESSE 2014: Roland Sync Box and the other clip is: Roland AIRA SYNC BOX at musikmesse 2014
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
the second video seemed to be spot on. and the performance was great. it looks like a lot of fun too.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
No chance. I do sound for picture and in >10 years of field recording (including plenty of music) I've never encountered such behavior. When loud sounds lead to distortion it doesn't have any effect on the timing, I can't understand where you would get such an idea. Reverb doesn't sound like that either.
How then do you explain that sound being missing from the better quality video uploaded?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Sounds pretty in-sync?

Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

So based upon the clips posted, no one got that.....sync'ing feeling?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Looks like a good product for OTBers.

Unfortunately, the first video had a sound that was completely out of sync. Possibly user error, but I'd be worried about buying it after hearing that.

I bet Roland aren't too happy, if indeed this is a future product.

Also, in the first video I swear he mentions the word 'drift'? Maybe they've invented a Drift Box too
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Lets sync these videos...
As mentioned earlier, the 303 was out of sync at:

First vid, first post - 0:54
Second vid, first post - 3:54
Third vid, 16th post -2:16

It's quickly dropped from the performance after that. The 101's pitch sounds off in both performances.

If you look at the second vid at around 5:42, you can see that it looks like the first vid is recorded with a camera. That moment syncs up to around 2:36 in the first vid. To me, it just sounds like the 808 boom is kicking the left mic in the gut(Do camera mics use xy positioning for stereo? Not my wheelhouse.) and that's why the distortion comes in late(compared to the kicks attack) and is only on the left. The second vid seem to be a direct recording. The stereo image is stationary throughout. The other two vids sound like they are from the video devices.

If anyone cares...
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post

Also, in the first video I swear he mentions the word 'drift'? Maybe they've invented a Drift Box too
Not invented, just used in the demo:

Drift Box S Analog Synthesizer

Old 16th March 2014
I heard from a re-seller here in the States that the sync box will indeed be a real product in the $300 - $400 price range.

The back-panel connections look somewhat similar to the old Roland SBX-10.
Having both SBX-10 and MPU-101 type functions in one box would be great.

The SBX-10 manual (in English) is extremely difficult to find, so here it is for your academic amusement:
http://lauterzeit.com/pro_audio/rola...X_10_OM_en.pdf

The SBX-10 is very cool. The only thing I found missing on it was programmable Arp/trigger clocks - like what you'd find on the Garfield Electronics' Master Beat.
[Sometimes you need a 4 PPQN TTL signal, for example.]
So let's hope that this new Roland Sync Box will allow one to do that with the Gate Outs...

As a side note - it is interesting that Roland was using an internal timebase rate of 120 PPQN for most of their devices (CSQ-600, JSQ-60, MSQ-100, MSQ-700, SBX-10, MC-4) up until about 1986. Then they changed everything to 96 PPQN. It wasn't until much later, with the MC-909 and MC-80, that they implemented 480 PPQN internal rates.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitradix View Post
How then do you explain that sound being missing from the better quality video uploaded?
I have no idea; I'd need to know a lot more detail about what was connected to what and look at the original media. But I feel quite comfortable expressing an opinion about what it isn't, for the same reason I feel comfortable saying the noise wasn't caused by goblins or tiny dragons.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Guru
Things seemed to go much smoother in this demo.. Din sync wise..

Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

more pics

Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

^^ They should've made all Aira gear look like that. Nice mid 80's vibe going on there.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Things seemed to go much smoother in this demo..
mentioned in the video, it turns out to be an experimental device from the R&D
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

What's underneath the 'Sync box' sticker?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's underneath the 'Sync box' sticker?
"Answering machine"
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

lol

I just hope this isn't the first step of getting back into the 'wonderful' world of analog.
I'd feel betrayed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search