The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elektron Overbridge Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 12th March 2014
Elektron Overbridge

Looks like elektron are introducing full vst audio streaming for the analog line. Look Virus theres an analog invasion.

Quote:
We are very proud to reveal the forthcoming Overbridge implementation for Analog Four, Analog Keys, and Analog Rytm. This breakthrough technology completely erases the line between analog hardware and software plug-in instruments. For the first time in history, seamless DAW integration of analog synthesizers and drum machines is a reality.

Full VST/AU control
Thanks to Overbridge, the Analog range of Elektron machines can be deeply integrated with PC and Mac computers. The customized and machine specific software plugins, available in VST and AU formats, give direct parameter access over USB and allows efficient DAW based sound editing and sequencing. Overbridge merges the functionality of software plug-ins with the unmatched sound of analog hardware.

Bi-directional USB audio streaming
Overbridge makes multi tracking easy. Connect a USB cable and record multiple Elektron machine voices to separate DAW tracks in 24 bit quality. Or send audio from a DAW, process it with the analog circuitry of the Elektron machines and bring back the results to a new DAW track â?? all over a single USB cable and without timing issues. Overbridge even allows the Analog range of machines to be used as multi-channel USB sound cards.

Total Recall
Management of analog sounds and sequences has never been easier. Any adjustments made either directly on the Elektron hardware or via the software plug-in can be automatically recalled when loading a DAW project. Overbridge offers ultimate convenience when handling Elektron machine data.

Overbridge will be a part of a free OS update expected to be released Q4 2014. The OS update will work on all Analog Four, Analog Keys, and Analog Rytm units in existence.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

This is just so they can justify making the display get smaller and smaller with every new product..
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

"Q4 2014."

good grief. save it till summer NAMM.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

^ gotta counter those AIRA pre-orders
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Not sure to understand... it transforms hardware into software ??

You can go back to your computer and your mouse. Does it mean something interesting for an Elektron user ??
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

Too bad the Octatrack was left out. It's the one that could really use additional voice outs via usb.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm really really surprised and disappointed the OT was left out.
Will raise the a4 to a new level of usefulness. But a little underwhelmed to be honest.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Definitely need to expand this to the Octatrack for direct recording of 8 tracks of audio!
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Very happy A4 user here and things just got a whole lot better! Thank you Elektron!
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut
sounds good.... i hope...
As long as they're using good converters and make sure they iron out the bugs...
It's a great idea in theory and i think will make a lot of ITB producers happy but only if you plug it in and it works. If the drivers aren't kept up to date then it might be more effort than its worth.

Also, there's not much point having an analog device that can record itself digitally unless it does it as well as your other converters, so lets hope they didn't skimp on that.

All that being said I'll probably still buy one.... or all of them
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

With this "seamless DAW integration" i should be more careful.Lots of virus Ti users still have problems since day one.But is good idea
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

This is a big deal for the a4. Only two outputs no longer matters that much if you can send all 4 tracks plus the master stereo through usb for recording, and it also becomes an audio interface. Well played.
Old 12th March 2014
That's fantastic news. What a way to treat your customers; they had me sold when it was just 4 mono synths in a sequencing box, and I bought at the low price. I hoped for poly mode and got that plus a free +drive. Now this. A4 is my one and only OTB synth, I have plans for more, but this is a dream come true, albeit a dream that I don't even remember having.

Nice one Elektron, I'm really going to have to get the AR now.

Compare this customer approach with DSI and Roland. I'm still tempted by boxes from both those companies, but right now I'm saving my money for a company that appears to care for me.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
Not sure to understand... it transforms hardware into software ??

You can go back to your computer and your mouse. Does it mean something interesting for an Elektron user ??
It integrates your hardware with your DAW so you get the best of both worlds.

It makes things like DAW project instant recall and automation all the easier, and will undoubtedly have a patch library. (Goodbye to saving sysex files via C6 which is slow and clumsy)

Most people use DAWs, so the better the DAW integration is the better for most.

Other hardware software editors do this already, but the killer feature here is USB audio meaning the likes of the A4 which only has a stereo output can now output all 4 tracks individually to your DAW. That's amazing.

I'm delighted with this update since a software editor is a must for me. (I'm using a M4L editor for my A4 at the moment but this one will be better i'm sure)
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
It integrates your hardware with your DAW so you get the best of both worlds.

It makes things like DAW project instant recall and automation all the easier, and will undoubtedly have a patch library. (Goodbye to saving sysex files via C6 which is slow and clumsy)

Most people use DAWs, so the better the DAW integration is the better for most.

Other hardware software editors do this already, but the killer feature here is USB audio meaning the likes of the A4 which only has a stereo output can now output all 4 tracks individually to your DAW. That's amazing.

I'm delighted with this update since a software editor is a must for me. (I'm using a M4L editor for my A4 at the moment but this one will be better i'm sure)
Thanks for the reply

I don't have any Elektron device and I was thinking that hardware was bought (at least for me) to go as far as possible from a computer. I don't know the limitations of the Elektron machines...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
Thanks for the reply

I don't have any Elektron device and I was thinking that hardware was bought (at least for me) to go as far as possible from a computer. I don't know the limitations of the Elektron machines...
Elektron gear and its onboard sequencers can get you very far away from a computer, but not everyone wants to work like that. I like to have the best of both words.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beni Shoga View Post
Compare this customer approach with DSI and Roland. I'm still tempted by boxes from both those companies, but right now I'm saving my money for a company that appears to care for me.
I'm not saying they don't care, but really it's just good business practice, what better way to develop brand loyalty then by extending the value of the product? Existing owners are more likely to buy additional boxes and prospective buyers, who might have been on the fence, are more likely to buy into it because of the new features. I wish more gear manufacturers got this.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

It's settled, I'm getting an A4!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Just what I want from my hardware, to use it in the box. Not. I dunno, Analog is great, but Elektron, man... I still think I like their old stuff better than their new stuff. Still upset about the lack of outs on the A4 (and **** buying the keys just for that). A-Rythm is awesome, but I don't like how there's no external sequencing. Blah blah blah overlap blah blah... It's all just marketing decisions. Yeah... I'd rather buy none than be shoe-horned into buying all.
Old 12th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beni Shoga View Post
[...]this is a dream come true, albeit a dream that I don't even remember having.
+1

Even more flexibility from the A4? Elektron are insane.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Blimey.

Elektron are an excellent company.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
"Q4 2014."

good grief. save it till summer NAMM.
Musicmesse >>>> Summer Namm. :P
Old 12th March 2014
wait a minute... we're talking analog instruments here, so if there is to be streaming over USB now, you need some kind of A/D conversion.. so , if Overbridge is oviously not about additional hardware, yet only an OS update, it basically means:

Analog Four and Analog Four Keys had to have a multi-channel ADC converter and USB audio interface built-in from day one, but it wasn't made public till now.. !!!

Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
wait a minute... we're talking analog instruments here, so if there is streaming over USB now, you need A/D conversion.. so , if Overbridge is not about additional hardware, but only an OS update it basically means:

Analog Four and Analog Four Keys had to have a multi-channel ADC converter and USB audio interface built-in from day one, but it wasn't made public till now.. !!!
Yup!

'Sneaky' Elektron revealing yet more presents hidden in existing gear. The secret +Drive in the A4 was the other one previously revealed of course.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

This totally completes the circle for me with elektron gear.

Always the dichotomy with the boxes is that it's great fun playing around/jamming and then there's the mission to actually print it all.

And as an A4 user, 4 outputs has made me very happy indeed.

Bring me my analog rytm now pls.
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

It's pretty ballsy of them to keep pulling these hidden features out of their ass, especially when it comes to something as significant as multi-channel outs for a machine that got quite a bit of flak for supposedly not including it.

Ultimately it's probably preferable though to a thousand other companies promising updates down the line that may or may not come or be introduced and supported well. It kind of sucks for people who had some dealbreaker thing missing and then spent their money on something else though.

I almost bought an Analog Four, and while none of these specific features it's been upgraded with lately made too much of a difference when it comes to how I feel about my decision, it would have been a different story if they had held back, say, the CV sequencing.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandar View Post
WTF Is this a patch editor or a soundcard?
It's both, as it unlocks the hidden audio interface and provides a VST as means to route the multitrack audio to a DAW or route audio from it.

The VST is also a patch editor.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Just..wow...the best of both worlds indeed.

Saves me having to upgrade my audio interface when I pick up a RYTM too.

Nicely played.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search