The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elektron Overbridge Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th December 2014
  #211
Lives for gear
 
krushing's Avatar
Someone said in another thread that they're now talking about Q1/15.
Old 11th December 2014
  #212
Gear Maniac
 
SlutButtMcNabb's Avatar
 

Yeah - I heard on the Elektronauts forums that they have basically stated that it'll be ready when it's ready... I guess that's better than them rushing it out and it not working properly.
Old 11th December 2014
  #213
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlutButtMcNabb View Post
Yeah - I heard on the Elektronauts forums that they have basically stated that it'll be ready when it's ready... I guess that's better than them rushing it out and it not working properly.
Elektron has altered the deal, pray they don't alter it any further.
Old 12th December 2014
  #214
Gear Nut
 

Here's what Elektron said:

"Overbridge is well on its way and it will be released when the time is right. We are doing our best to get it out as polished as possible but as you can imagine, things can be slightly delayed. But nothing to worry about, it will be out there soon!"

Source: I'm Cenk aka Dataline from Elektron. Ask Me Anything about Elektron Music Machines! : synthesizers
Old 12th December 2014
  #215
Gear Nut
 
damondarkwalker's Avatar
 

I have been struggling (waking up in a cold sweat) over whether or not to buy the A4 or the Octatrack; this thread just made my decision for me. I can always get the OT next Christmas. I don't want to pass up the 15% off offer they're running at SW right now.
Old 12th December 2014
  #216
Gear Maniac
 
DeckardTrinity's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by damondarkwalker View Post
I have been struggling (waking up in a cold sweat) over whether or not to buy the A4 or the Octatrack; this thread just made my decision for me. I can always get the OT next Christmas. I don't want to pass up the 15% off offer they're running at SW right now.
One thing you may want to consider is that there were basically zero OTs available for the better part of this year due to (assumption here) production of the new boxes. I don't remember what the deal was with A4 availability but there were numerous posts over on Elektronauts of people willing practically sell their left kidney for an OT this past year! (and that is almost not an exaggeration!)
Old 12th December 2014
  #217
Gear Nut
 
damondarkwalker's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckardTrinity View Post
One thing you may want to consider is that there were basically zero OTs available for the better part of this year due to (assumption here) production of the new boxes. I don't remember what the deal was with A4 availability but there were numerous posts over on Elektronauts of people willing practically sell their left kidney for an OT this past year! (and that is almost not an exaggeration!)
Ah, thanks for the info! I think I'll be happy with the A4 CV'd to my SubP and MophoK.
Old 14th December 2014
  #218
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by damondarkwalker View Post
I have been struggling (waking up in a cold sweat) over whether or not to buy the A4 or the Octatrack; this thread just made my decision for me. I can always get the OT next Christmas. I don't want to pass up the 15% off offer they're running at SW right now.
I don't have an A4, but I can say that the OT slowed my GAS to a crawl because of how it revitalized all of my existing equipment (although I've purchased a lot more iPad apps as a result for OT sample food, but that's negligible for the money). The A4 is also the least expensive Elektron on the used market. I'd pick up the OT first because of the discount, although for the sake of learning the Elektron workflow the A4 is probably easier to get a handle on.
Old 14th December 2014
  #219
Gear Addict
 
zobbo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I don't have an A4, but I can say that the OT slowed my GAS to a crawl because of how it revitalized all of my existing equipment (although I've purchased a lot more iPad apps as a result for OT sample food, but that's negligible for the money). The A4 is also the least expensive Elektron on the used market. I'd pick up the OT first because of the discount, although for the sake of learning the Elektron workflow the A4 is probably easier to get a handle on.
How do you sample the iPad? Just a bog standard audio cable?

Last edited by zobbo; 14th December 2014 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 14th December 2014
  #220
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Well I now own a Analog four so I'm very very keen to see this software asap..
Old 14th December 2014
  #221
Lives for gear
 
donato's Avatar
i thought you were waiting? haha

edit: answered you in a different thread
Old 14th December 2014
  #222
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
i thought you were waiting? haha

edit: answered you in a different thread
I was, I really was, but $1200 for an A4 only 2 months old barely used...I lost my cool..
Old 14th December 2014
  #223
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobbo View Post
How do you sample the iPad? Just a bog standard audio cable?
You've got a lot of flexibility...my current no-brainer setup is with an X-Station (audio/midi interface, as well as a knobby controller keyboard), but at the heart of it you need a class compliant (ie, no driver) audio interface if you want audio from the iPad, via the Camera Connection Kit. None of the options I've experimented with even existed before iOS existed, they were just driver-free. In the worst case, you can record from the headphone out or $$pend money for an iOS classed device, but in reality you're basically dealing with computer hardware, so if you can suss out a solution without paying for the label, it's worth DIYing it. I hacked together a few different setups before settling on my current configuration, and it wasn't hard to do with a powered USB hub, a cheap USB/midi interface, and an $80 mixer; I only use the interface I have now as a more elegant solution, and still way cheaper and more useful than a dedicated iOS device, other than being unable to charge the iPad while I work.
Old 15th December 2014
  #224
Gear Addict
 
zobbo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
You've got a lot of flexibility...my current no-brainer setup is with an X-Station (audio/midi interface, as well as a knobby controller keyboard), but at the heart of it you need a class compliant (ie, no driver) audio interface if you want audio from the iPad, via the Camera Connection Kit. None of the options I've experimented with even existed before iOS existed, they were just driver-free. In the worst case, you can record from the headphone out or $$pend money for an iOS classed device, but in reality you're basically dealing with computer hardware, so if you can suss out a solution without paying for the label, it's worth DIYing it. I hacked together a few different setups before settling on my current configuration, and it wasn't hard to do with a powered USB hub, a cheap USB/midi interface, and an $80 mixer; I only use the interface I have now as a more elegant solution, and still way cheaper and more useful than a dedicated iOS device, other than being unable to charge the iPad while I work.
Thanks for the info. DIY is not my forte though. I have an Akai EIE interface which I believe works with the camera connection kit although I have never used and also a iConnect device (which give audio and does charge). Always interested to know how others are doing things though

Ian
Old 16th December 2014
  #225
Gear Nut
 
damondarkwalker's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I don't have an A4, but I can say that the OT slowed my GAS to a crawl because of how it revitalized all of my existing equipment (although I've purchased a lot more iPad apps as a result for OT sample food, but that's negligible for the money). The A4 is also the least expensive Elektron on the used market. I'd pick up the OT first because of the discount, although for the sake of learning the Elektron workflow the A4 is probably easier to get a handle on.
A4 ordered. Just waiting now on the backorders. I'm very patient in my old age, so no worries. Damn though if I don't already have plans on getting the OT next Christmas. No wonder my wife is always frustrated with me.
Old 17th December 2014
  #226
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobbo View Post
Thanks for the info. DIY is not my forte though. I have an Akai EIE interface which I believe works with the camera connection kit although I have never used and also a iConnect device (which give audio and does charge). Always interested to know how others are doing things though

Ian
I'm not suggesting getting out the soldering iron or power tools, just using a little common sense. You're basically just dealing with computer hardware here. As long as whatever you use is class compliant (no drivers to install) and doesn't draw too much power from the iPad (a powered USB hub is a smart choice), you should be good to go.

I think most of the options made specifically for iOS at the moment are half-measures, so until something is released that actually ticks all the boxes, there's no reason not to rig together something yourself on the cheap that does what you need.
Old 17th December 2014
  #227
Lives for gear
 
fusionid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Overbridge will be a bit delayed. At the moment a closed beta group is testing various aspects of the implementation, and our aim is to roll out an open beta in February 2015. If all testing goes well the complete version of Overbridge will be released Q1 2015.
I was gonna sell my A4 but with the news will hold it a bit longer. Excited to use with overbridge if seamless.
Old 17th December 2014
  #228
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionid View Post
Overbridge will be a bit delayed. At the moment a closed beta group is testing various aspects of the implementation, and our aim is to roll out an open beta in February 2015. If all testing goes well the complete version of Overbridge will be released Q1 2015.

I was gonna sell my but with the news will hold it a bit longer. Excited to use with overbridge if seamless.
Man my analog keys is the most brilliant machine. My mind hurts at how much overbridge is going to bring to the table.
Haters gonna...
Where did you find that formal sounding blurb?
Old 17th December 2014
  #229
Lives for gear
 
fusionid's Avatar
 

posted on the website.
Old 18th December 2014
  #230
Lives for gear
 
fusionid's Avatar
 

I am just having a hard time bonding with the A4 interface. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it.

hence I feel the addition of daw seamlesss will hopefully make that easier.
Old 18th December 2014
  #231
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
So looking forward to this..
Old 18th December 2014
  #232
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Man my analog keys is the most brilliant machine. My mind hurts at how much overbridge is going to bring to the table.
Haters gonna...
Where did you find that formal sounding blurb?
Couldnt agree more. Waiting is not a problem, as every time I sit with my AK I get lost in some new idea and never get as far as trying to record. I just find myself getting distracted by sone bonkers sound or accidentally cool rythym.
Old 12th January 2015
  #233
Gear Nut
 
damondarkwalker's Avatar
 

I received my A4 over the holidays. I love it. It's amazing. I really like the sound, and the intuitive (yes) nature of the thing. I hope they run that same 15% offer next year, so I can pick up the OT. I have mainly used it for ambient-style stuff and I've enjoyed the sequencer "limitations" in forcing me to rethink how I normally do a track (DAW). Overbridge should really make me happy.
Old 12th January 2015
  #234
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by damondarkwalker View Post
I hope they run that same 15% offer next year, so I can pick up the OT.
I think I'll lack the discipline to wait so long. Having a great time with the Rytm and plan to get the A4 in a couple weeks. Well, maybe I can wait until November to get the OT, which might not be a bad idea anyway, in case they announce something new. I'd also like a Monomachine.

I find the sequencer fairly intuitive also, but I have no previous experience with hardware sequencers, so maybe that's why -- just nothing to compare it to, so I had no preconceptions or workflow expectations.
Old 15th January 2015
  #235
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I think I'll lack the discipline to wait so long. Having a great time with the Rytm and plan to get the A4 in a couple weeks. Well, maybe I can wait until November to get the OT, which might not be a bad idea anyway, in case they announce something new. I'd also like a Monomachine.

I find the sequencer fairly intuitive also, but I have no previous experience with hardware sequencers, so maybe that's why -- just nothing to compare it to, so I had no preconceptions or workflow expectations.
If you're willing to wait until next November to get an OT, you might as wait a few more weeks to see if they offer another holiday discount.

But if you cannot wait nearly a year, just buy one-the OT will revolutionize how you make music if you're willing to put a little time in.

OT vs. MNM tho...I'm not sure I can pick one over the other. Similar paradigms in sequencing, but both can be all-in-one killers depending on approach. I sometimes tire of the sound on the Mono, but then I always come across something new that makes me wonder how I'd ever live without it. It's the best underrated synth on the market and keeps on giving.

The OT is essentially nothing without samples or another input, but once you can feed it anything (got a smartphone? You've got a hundred thousand million sounds at your disposal), you're only limitation is your own creativity.

Combine the two, and the only problem is you.
Old 15th January 2015
  #236
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
If you're willing to wait until next November to get an OT, you might as wait a few more weeks to see if they offer another holiday discount.
Didn't the recent sale start in late November, too? Yes, I'd wait for that sale again, if I had the patience and discipline. Chances are that I won't have every Elektron box I want by then anyway. For some reason, their workflow really clicks with me.

Quote:
OT vs. MNM tho...I'm not sure I can pick one over the other. Similar paradigms in sequencing, but both can be all-in-one killers depending on approach.
Maybe I should get the OT first, before the A4. As mentioned, I only have the Rytm so far, which actually is great and I can make entire tracks with it (some of the videos I have seen are quite impressive). I'd like to pair it with something, so the A4 seems like an obvious choice. On the other hand, I enjoy field recording and collecting "found sounds", so an OT would be a great match for me since I don't have a hardware sampler (was ITB until recently). Since I have to wait until the first week of February anyway, I'll see what (if anything) NAMM has in store, Elektron-wise.

The Monomachine wasn't on my horizon until I came across some of Lem's MnM tracks, and now it's one more machine to lust for and agonize over.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #237
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Old 23rd January 2015
  #238
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
looks purdy! i hope they ad a randomize like in strom/a4randomize etc


or not, it might hurt strom sales... but you know
Old 23rd January 2015
  #239
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Looks like a beautiful easy on the eye interface, logically laid out and good choice of colour..YES.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #240
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
and hopefully for kit management etc it will help :]
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump