The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elektron Overbridge Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I just watched the overbridge overview with Cenk and so theyre mono tracks, not stereo tracks. Also the effects will be fully accessible which is great because I love the effects in the nalog series. What i wanna know is whats the deal with the sequencer? Will the sequencer be able to trigger stuff in your daw? I ask because the reason there is no midi out in the a4 is because it uses no midi internally so to get midi out theyd have to put some kind of hack as there is no midi decoder or whatever you wanna call it. So I thought they would add it eventually but it doesnt look like it will ever. But then again there must be some midi "engine" as it will respond to CC? Thoughts?
The way I understand Overbridge is that it's midi/cc in, audio out. Forget about midi out on the Analog elektrons. Fahgitabootit.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poonti View Post
The way I understand Overbridge is that it's midi/cc in, audio out. Forget about midi out on the Analog elektrons. Fahgitabootit.
Yeah not ever as theres no hardware to do it. See I wish they just said that from the get go. Anyways Im super exited about it. With the Rytm and a4 a very nice combo indeed.Im seeing less and less need for the OT in my set up. Especially with all the incredible MAx sequencers Ive found. To have them tightly integrated with overbridge - tasty
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you explain what you mean by no midi out? I have an analog keys and use the midi out everyday... are you referring specifically to the sequencer?
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
Can you explain what you mean by no midi out? I have an analog keys and use the midi out everyday... are you referring specifically to the sequencer?
Yes, the sequencer specifically. Not as a midi controller, which works fine as I've heard.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
I was just as puzzled as you lol. I never miss the sequencer not going out because I sequence everything on the OT anyway. As an AK owner I use the Midi out every day too, it's the midi controller of my dreams.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, the sequencer specifically. Not as a midi controller, which works fine as I've heard.
Gotcha, I figured thats what you meant. Well the sequence sends CV... cv can be converted into midi...so there's that option..
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Audio in as well.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
As an AK owner I use the Midi out every day too, it's the midi controller of my dreams.
But it doesn't have a sustain pedal jack!
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I got my A4 before the Keys and it would be my dream controller too. Ive tried looking for a swap plus cash from me but no luck yet. Hit that midi key and - I cant im too jealous even typing - goodby
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
But it doesn't have a sustain pedal jack!
It doesn't have 88 weighted keys either.
Only people who don't own it complain about what it doesn't do.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It doesn't have 88 weighted keys either.
Only people who don't own it complain about what it doesn't do.
That's funny, because I own one --> Instagram

Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
That's funny, because I own one --> Instagram

Well, I guess you got me there, assertion withdrawn.

I still don't see the point of your original remark. Was it to diss me or the AK? I don't think highly enough of my own skills to get insulted personally, so that's like throwing lit matches at a volcano. And since you own an AK, why bother pointing out what you consider to be a shortcoming like that? Do you regret your purchase because of the lack of sustain pedal input that was known about and widely discussed here and at Elektronauts way before release?
Even without the sustain pedal input the AK is awesome, for me, and it handles everything I need it to do perfectly. I only own one synth that has a sustain pedal input anyway, so I plug my pedal into that one.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think he was just being sarcastic?
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I still don't see the point of your original remark. Was it to diss me or the AK? I don't think highly enough of my own skills to get insulted personally, so that's like throwing lit matches at a volcano. And since you own an AK, why bother pointing out what you consider to be a shortcoming like that? Do you regret your purchase because of the lack of sustain pedal input that was known about and widely discussed here and at Elektronauts way before release?
Why do you think I was trying to make fun of you??? You're way off base.

I don't regret anything. I was merely pointing out that I couldn't see the AK being the MIDI controller of anyone's dreams when it lacks something as basic as a sustain pedal. I need sustain for Rhodes / pianos, etc. I don't mind it missing on the AK because I'm not using it as such. That's all. You also assumed (incorrectly) that I never used an Analog Four when I own one. The whole world isn't against you. Eesh
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Why do you think I was trying to make fun of you??? You're way off base.

I don't regret anything. I was merely pointing out that I couldn't see the AK being the MIDI controller of anyone's dreams when it lacks something as basic as a sustain pedal. I need sustain for Rhodes / pianos, etc. I don't mind it missing on the AK because I'm not using it as such. That's all. You also assumed (incorrectly) that I never used an Analog Four when I own one. The whole world isn't against you. Eesh
Sorry my dreams aren't the same as yours. Eesh
Moving on...
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Eesh!
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Eesh!
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

no sustain pedal, no polyphonic aftertouch, no fm, rubbish!
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobhead View Post
This is a big deal for the a4. Only two outputs no longer matters that much if you can send all 4 tracks plus the master stereo through usb for recording, and it also becomes an audio interface. Well played.
Why would they include AD Converters per voice which have no use to those who control the machine from its own interface? They didn't even include an analogue output per voice. I don't think that would be very "well played".
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Why would they include AD Converters per voice which have no use to those who control the machine from its own interface? They didn't even include an analogue output per voice. I don't think that would be very "well played".
What do you mean? The effects are digital, so they already needed AD converters per voice by design.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Ah OK, makes sense then... Thanks for the hint.
Old 22nd October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto View Post
With this "seamless DAW integration" i should be more careful.Lots of virus Ti users still have problems since day one.But is good idea
Never had a problem with Virus integration beside the fact it sounds like crap. The virus TI has no mojo, even with analog outs. I put it through my Kush Fatso or a tube pre to get it to sound close to ok. Looking forward to Overbridge. I have both the RYTM and A4 and its a bitch to produce in a DAW. Each track needs its own channel for the RYTM, I need 24 tracks of audio and midi combined to track the way I want. Hopefully, Overbridge will control with one midi track for one kit rather than 12.
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Each Rytm track needs its own channel? Surely you're referring to audio, as all sounds can be triggered from the midi note range of 0-11 on every midi channel..?
Old 26th October 2014
mfx
Lives for gear

Has there been any news or updates with Overbridge, all quiet (which is often the calm before the storm)...almost 1 month down on Q4
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsutek View Post
Each Rytm track needs its own channel? Surely you're referring to audio, as all sounds can be triggered from the midi note range of 0-11 on every midi channel..?
I think I get what he means.

At the moment I use Battery with multiple audio out channels.

However, just one MIDI channel.

If they could implement this in Overbridge, or even a VST representation of the sequencer somehow, this'd be amazing.

I'm tearing my hair out at the moment ****ing around MIDI-wise to get it all in sync.

I've never had issues with my Virus TI. The arps occasionally drift, but it's a great bit of kit. Considering it's almost ten years old I'm surprised more manufacturers haven't followed suit.
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
Has there been any news or updates with Overbridge, all quiet (which is often the calm before the storm)...almost 1 month down on Q4
It's early December now, and it's still quiet, so we may be looking for Q1/2015 after all. I just bought the Analog Rytm (the low end is something else!), since the Elektron devices are currently on sale, and may grab an Analog Four in spring (wish I had the cash now and could get it at the lower price).

I actually got the AR to get away from computers, but the more I think about Overbridge, the sexier a hybrid approach looks to me.
Old 8th December 2014
Gear Addict

I just can't wait, I hope it will be there for Christmas
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Guru

where is this...surely overdue now..???
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

It'll come when it comes. I'd imagine probably closer to NAMM, maybe even as late as March.

With all the criticism people give Elektron for releasing things in beta, I'd think it is better that they have it finished, or close to it, before putting it out. If I had the cash to buy one of the Analog machines right now I would do so and learn it inside and out before Overbridge dropped.
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
where is this...surely overdue now..???
Well all they said was Q4 2014, so that's not over yet.

Who knows but them and the beta testers what kind of issues they have encountered so it may well be delayed. Better to release something that works well than rush out a buggy version.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search