The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elektron Overbridge Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee View Post
Just..wow...the best of both worlds indeed.

Saves me having to upgrade my audio interface when I pick up a RYTM too.

Nicely played.
The knock on effects of this for me are no more gas for an AK since it was only really the 4 outputs on that I wanted over what I have on my A4, but it does mean I have 2 additional inputs freed up for some other hardware. (Oh oh more reason to have gas!)

Plus the practicality of integrating a RYTM into my setup now becomes all the more possible.
Old 12th March 2014
i am dissapoint a lil bit. i am moving towards OTB anyway, and i hoped for a full featured sequencer box, with both MIDI and host of CV outputs. more or less a Cirklon done Elektron way.

never the less, this will be great for automation of things.. huge posibilities with both A4 and AR..
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

this is awesome
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
wait a minute... we're talking analog instruments here, so if there is to be streaming over USB now, you need some kind of A/D conversion.. so , if Overbridge is oviously not about additional hardware, yet only an OS update, it basically means:

Analog Four and Analog Four Keys had to have a multi-channel ADC converter and USB audio interface built-in from day one, but it wasn't made public till now.. !!!

the ADCs are probably the ones that are already used for the FX sends.
and it's not like the USB port wasn't there all along
Old 12th March 2014
that sounds quite possible, good thinking

question remains of course, what is the quality of conversion, compared to just going out analog and feeding that to a (nice) audio interface or converter of your own.
Old 12th March 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Pretty excited about this. I have yet to hook up my A4 to the puter for fear of headaches. This is gonna help a lot getting my live stuff turned into songs. Can wait to jam out and fix it later.

Seems like USB multi-channel streaming is quite the thing for synths now-a-days. Let's hope the quality and speed is there.
Old 12th March 2014
Deleted c1b33bf
This is amazing. If there isn't too much latency, the Rytm could be a lethal machine in the studio.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
wait a minute... we're talking analog instruments here, so if there is to be streaming over USB now, you need some kind of A/D conversion.. so , if Overbridge is oviously not about additional hardware, yet only an OS update, it basically means:

Analog Four and Analog Four Keys had to have a multi-channel ADC converter and USB audio interface built-in from day one, but it wasn't made public till now.. !!!

I don't have an Analog 4, but I believe it has digital effects? If so, then it seems there must have already been an ADC included to digitize the analog signal prior to applying effects? Then an additional DAC stage for analog output? With this update, perhaps they're grabbing the signal post effect but pre DAC to send via USB.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
This really does mean the Rtym wins against any other drum machine for me personally.

Very impressed.

All other companies please take note, this how to keep your customers happy. Over deliver.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
Not sure to understand... it transforms hardware into software ??

You can go back to your computer and your mouse. Does it mean something interesting for an Elektron user ??
It means you can more easily record your grooves via USB should you wish to and it also means your projects can recall all the patches etc associated with it but the sounds are still tweakable on the hardware as you play back.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
This overbridge will make integrating my Analog 4 and maschine far easier.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Wow... totally unexpected and impressively useful.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

I hope there is a way to only use the editing features/VST editor and not the soundcard/ADC over USB.

I don't need more soundcards, but would be cool for AR on the go.

Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

if only DSI had this level of development and support
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

It,s quite refreshing for a manufacturer to add major features
After the product has sold as opposed to selling a product
With " future features " that never materialize

Good going Elektron
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Elektron are doing great! That's the best company imho when it comes to support and developpement.

I hope that will give ideas to DSI.
Old 12th March 2014
Think Im gonna have to get an A4 and not the Rytm seems very enticing as well...I guess you get the full Rytm path minus analog compressor? Or you get analogue compressor on the stereo channel...

This will all work ok alongside a main interface?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Think Im gonna have to get an A4 and not the Rytm seems very enticing as well...I guess you get the full Rytm path minus analog compressor? Or you get analogue compressor on the stereo channel...

This will all work ok alongside a main interface?
Don't all DAW's only allow for one audio interface at a time?
It would really suck to have to switch interfaces just to work with the elektron machines by themselves, no?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
Don't all DAW's only allow for one audio interface at a time?
Mac's allow you to create a virtual audio interface that allows you to aggregate physical audio interfaces. Been a while (XP) since I checked if Windows can do it; but there are ways via 3rd party apps.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
Elektron are doing great! That's the best company imho when it comes to support and developpement.

I hope that will give ideas to DSI.
Or Access.

If this integration works, I may have a TI2 up for sale.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_OHara View Post
Mac's allow you to create a virtual audio interface that allows you to aggregate physical audio interfaces. Been a while (XP) since I checked if Windows can do it; but there are ways via 3rd party apps.
In general this is true for OSX, but the support has to be provided by the device manufacturer. I know one such device that I used to own does not let itself be part of an Aggregate (Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0).

I can't imagine Overdrive will lack this support however given Elektron's excellent track record.
Old 12th March 2014
so you have to make an aggregate device?

Wonder what the windows guys do...

The A4 will need some solution because I cant see people monitoring via the A4...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckardTrinity View Post
In general this is true for OSX, but the support has to be provided by the device manufacturer. I know one such device that I used to own does not let itself be part of an Aggregate (Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0).

I can't imagine Overdrive will lack this support however given Elektron's excellent track record.
That would explain why I could never get my MultiMix 1.1 to work as an aggregate device. Good to know it wasn't just me.
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
so you have to make an aggregate device?

Wonder what the windows guys do...

The A4 will need some solution because I cant see people monitoring via the A4...
I use the Virus TI on windows, never had a problem with it working along side my audio interface.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
I use the Virus TI on windows, never had a problem with it working along side my audio interface.
Which DAW are you using? and which aggregate device?
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
how does it work you use an ASIO driver and have a list of all your OI of both interfaces?
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
how does it work you use an ASIO driver and have a list of all your OI of both interfaces?
Well, I've used it in both Cubase and Studio One. The Virus shows up as an audio interface option, along with my UR28M, but I just use the UR28M.

Then I simply load the VST Virus plug-in and everything works fine.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I've used it in both Cubase and Studio One. The Virus shows up as an audio interface option, along with my UR28M, but I just use the UR28M.

Then I simply load the VST Virus plug-in and everything works fine.
But have you used both together as audio interfaces? Multiple devices can show up, but whether you can use them together is the issue.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Very impressive. If I had known about this a few years back I may have went this way. But, too much to invest to get them now.
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil_g View Post
But have you used both together as audio interfaces? Multiple devices can show up, but whether you can use them together is the issue.
No, I doubt I could do that successfully.

But the TI does have inputs, and I haven't tried plugging anything into those inputs and getting it through the VST plugin.

So while it might not be running as an interface I would think I could use it to get audio from the outside world into the DAW.

So if were talking about the Elektron A4 getting audio through USB into the DAW, while using another interface, I can't see why not. Probably be able to send audio through one of those 4 analog tracks too, as one of the OSC's can give way to the audio inputs.

But using the A4 as an add-on interface, probably only on a MAC I'd imagine but we'll have to find out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search