The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elektron Overbridge Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 22nd April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctoad View Post
Sorry, I know this probably the wrong place to ask this newbie to Electron question but it looks like all the experts are on this thread. I'm interested in trying Electron, especially the Rytm, especially now with over bridge.
My question is I do more experimental stuff and some hip hop production for fun, not 4 on the floor ump-tick ump-tick stuff ( not judging- i like that stuff too!) so wondering if the Rytm will fulfill that or are the older drum machines by Electron better? I've heard people say they are more experimental? Why? What's the difference between them all? Rytm seems so cool, why would anyone want to use the older models?
Also any links to videos of any of these machines doing anything other than techno/house etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks guys!
it will playback anything you program into it, so asking whether it can do this style over that style is really a strange question imo..

it won't do 4x4 unless you put in 4x4 beats into the sequencer, do you know what I mean...it's a drum machine, it will only do what you tell it to do...

Same with lots of these synth questions, like
'what synth does the best ambient sounds..?
or
'what synth does the best dubstep wobble bass...?

they all do these things, it's up to the user to put the required info into the machine and make it sing..
Old 22nd April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
it will playback anything you program into it, so asking whether it can do this style over that style is really a strange question imo..

it won't do 4x4 unless you put in 4x4 beats into the sequencer, do you know what I mean...it's a drum machine, it will only do what you tell it to do...

Same with lots of these synth questions, like
'what synth does the best ambient sounds..?
or
'what synth does the best dubstep wobble bass...?

they all do these things, it's up to the user to put the required info into the machine and make it sing..
Yes true, but I think I meant more in programing features.

Like when I think of which synth is more experimental for me I think a Buchla Easle is more experimental than say a Korg Ms 20 even though you can do crazy stuff with both.

I think I mainly I ask because I've read so many people saying the earlier Electron drum machines were more experimental so I'm asking why too (like you in a way)
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

The machine drum is a bit more flexible with the various types of digital drum synths and can def get into weird territory. The rytm has a more traditional 808/909 vibe but can do so much more. Both are great machines and will put out what you put in its really down to sonic preferences.

For expurimental the A4 wins imo. You can shape any drum or percussion sound and then put a different one on every step making full drum patterns on just one or two tracks leaving the other two open for more traditional synth business. The rytm is more immediate for drums but I personally think the A4 is better for an electronic backing track.
Old 22nd April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns N Dope View Post
The machine drum is a bit more flexible with the various types of digital drum synths and can def get into weird territory. The rytm has a more traditional 808/909 vibe but can do so much more. Both are great machines and will put out what you put in its really down to sonic preferences.

For expurimental the A4 wins imo. You can shape any drum or percussion sound and then put a different one on every step making full drum patterns on just one or two tracks leaving the other two open for more traditional synth business. The rytm is more immediate for drums but I personally think the A4 is better for an electronic backing track.
QFT...

I have my A4 and Rytm locked together with a midi umbilical cord and they play awesome together, strangely I have found a nicer kick drum sound resides on the A4 than the rytm..
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah A4 has my favorite kick drums lol.

Put it up against everything from a TR-8 to modular analog drums and all kinds of samples and none have what it has.
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

I'm going to ask a recording noob question, so please forgive me. Overbridge acts as the gateway (or bridge...) between the A4 and your computer, and the GUI allows you to see your patch edits in one place in real time. Audio comes over the USB and onto your computer. So, what other software would I need (preferably free) if I wanted to record tracks coming in from the A4? Is that also through Overbridge or would I need something else? I have never messed with using a computer to record music before, so the lingo is a bit over my head from the Messe video. Thanks!
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Audacity or Reaper should be enough.
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Audacity or Reaper should be enough.
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctoad View Post
Yes true, but I think I meant more in programing features.

Like when I think of which synth is more experimental for me I think a Buchla Easle is more experimental than say a Korg Ms 20 even though you can do crazy stuff with both.

I think I mainly I ask because I've read so many people saying the earlier Electron drum machines were more experimental so I'm asking why too (like you in a way)
This makes it seem you worry more about a "credible" system by the alternative geeky community than that you actually understand synthesis. The rythm is what YOU feed it.
You try to hard IMHO. Let's hear some of your "experimental" music first, then we have a better understanding of what you mean.
My 2cts & Bottom line: talented musicians can be experimental with any tool. only posers worry about wether a piece of gear is "experimental" enough.....
Old 22nd April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
This makes it seem you worry more about a "credible" system by the alternative geeky community than that you actually understand synthesis. The rythm is what YOU feed it.
You try to hard IMHO. Let's hear some of your "experimental" music first, then we have a better understanding of what you mean.
My 2cts & Bottom line: talented musicians can be experimental with any tool. only posers worry about wether a piece of gear is "experimental" enough.....

I agree with what you say whole heartedly and it's quite inspiring. I can see how you can have that opinion based on my questions.

My deal is I've been studying and playing music of India and Jazz for nearly 30 years and have experimented and performed a lot in the realm of acoustics only.

Only now this late in the game as a noob peering in at the world of synthesis I'm just getting my feet wet in this new world of electronics so many more nob questions to come. I am literally still learning on a werkstaatt to aluminate my point. I think of synthesis as more of a fun past time and possible ingredient sprinkled in my music and don't perhaps take it as seriously as you or my sitar for that matter.
I have a Korg MS 20, a beat step and a Space reverb from Eventide and currently saving for a Buchla easle or comparable Euro.
Going Electron is a big step for me and an expensive one so the questions are going to be newbie ones and lame too. I did say I was sorry at the very beginning of my first post. Although, I think, it's still a legit question when you see the differences between how certain boxes like the buchla for instance have only a 5 step in them and Buchla are considered to be for live performance mostly as the inventor felt. Mostly I was hoping people would point me in the direction of different u tube clips that aren't house/techno etc.
At the end of the day though you are right in pointing out that anything can be experimented on. We can all so easily forget those simple things. Still, It's not easy to ask questions on here without getting a bashing but most worth it for the good info given.
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

No worries Your intent is good, but just buy a rythm and experiment heh
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
I'm going to ask a recording noob question, so please forgive me. Overbridge acts as the gateway (or bridge...) between the A4 and your computer, and the GUI allows you to see your patch edits in one place in real time. Audio comes over the USB and onto your computer. So, what other software would I need (preferably free) if I wanted to record tracks coming in from the A4? Is that also through Overbridge or would I need something else? I have never messed with using a computer to record music before, so the lingo is a bit over my head from the Messe video. Thanks!
To record you'd need an audio editor or DAW which can host the Overbridge VST.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

I finally got overbridge for sierra but I am experiencing some issues I don't seem to be able to get around. Basically I keep getting the wrong trak play when using overbridge. I have tried everything and don't seem to be able to fix it including uninstalling and reinstalling.

Anyone has any ideas?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search