The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elektron Overbridge Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
why would engineers work on the label...???

different departments doing different things, software, hardware, advertising/marketing etc etc..
wow
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell View Post
Are you happy with the beta state of the AR? Plenty of evidence that the ot and ar are buggy and not supported well
Yes, even if I want more models.

"Plenty of evidence that the ot and ar are buggy and not supported well"

The only issue I've had with the AR, OT, or A4 so far has been with using the OT as a USB drive, I had to come across disabling write-back caching on my own to solve problems transferring files (some people have gone so far as to replace their default SD card.)

The utility is much greater than whatever "bugs" you're talking about, and "not supported well" is subjective. It's certainly not the easiest pick-up, but that's question of workflow and not particularly relevant to Overbridge, if anything, it'd certainly get rid of some complaints about their internal sequencer/editors/tiny wee LCD.
Old 23rd February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Pretty strange to be using political theory as an analogy

It's not at all about centralization of audio or decentralization of objects/items per say or political liberal American style freedom it's about supporting actual hardware that works - ok I am also going to use a similar random out of context analogy........why manufacture say a next gen solar panel that barely generates power say 40% of its capacity (ar) due To bugs and then suddenly create a huge grid network to distribute the limited power (over bridge )......at the same time suddenly announce let's start a hydroponic vertical farm (record label)
In the end any micro company (formerly supported by the state)moving into SME commerical terroritory, which doesn't consolidate it's core business, is doomed to repeat the mistakes of the ghost of business past
It's not strange at all. It shows the irony. The analogy isn't supposed to show centralized vs. decentralized. It's supposed to point out that many synthesists are conservative in what they want out of synth; constantly dreaming about days of yore; afraid of change; afraid of moving forward and integrating. Who ends up losing? The people that want to incorporate their hardware with software in a seamless fashion. In other words, conservatives are typically the analog dreamers who want you to give up 'vsts' and integration, liberals are primarily vst folks, and centrists are those that want the best of both worlds. This is the synth political paradigm.

Additionally, the Rytm is not at 40% capacity. It's at about 90% of its functioning power, and likely more. And owning a Rytm myself, there aren't a whole lot of bugs. There are some quirks that certainly need to be kneaded out, but all in due time. You guys are just being overly dramatic and need to just stop being chicken littles.
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissed View Post
Additionally, the Rytm is not at 40% capacity. It's at about 90% of its functioning power, and likely more. And owning a Rytm myself, there aren't a whole lot of bugs. There are some quirks that certainly need to be kneaded out, but all in due time. You guys are just being overly dramatic and need to just stop being chicken littles.
I note that the biggest complainers about synths on this site usually have the least invested in them. They must need a lot of wooing
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

<DELETED BY MODERATOR>

I'm guessing messe will be when they release at least a public beta but I'm cool with getting my free usb interface and vst editor whenever, not much into looking gift horses in the mouth tbh, cakes delicious without this extra icing already.

Last edited by GS moderation; 28th February 2015 at 12:02 AM..
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissed View Post
It's not strange at all. It shows the irony. The analogy isn't supposed to show centralized vs. decentralized. It's supposed to point out that many synthesists are conservative in what they want out of synth; constantly dreaming about days of yore; afraid of change; afraid of moving forward and integrating. Who ends up losing? The people that want to incorporate their hardware with software in a seamless fashion. In other words, conservatives are typically the analog dreamers who want you to give up 'vsts' and integration, liberals are primarily vst folks, and centrists are those that want the best of both worlds. This is the synth political paradigm.

If you read my posts correctly I am not arguing against overbridge nor a record label but would prefer elektron focus on their hardware bugs first - a year without an update on a beta machine mirrors the history with the a4 and ot os's. OT has pretty much been abandoned now.

The current elektron ideology is :Release beta product and then commence work on something new. Maybe elektron is moving to an apple model : render products old by creating new products and leave the old products as junk ready to poison the enviroment This is free market /commercialization /rightwing /nut job ideology

Elektron in the 00s didnt really chop and change and refocus at the drop of a hat. Maybe the odd t shirt got in the way but They honed their 2 products and created a great little micro social company

Ultimately if we want to discuss political theory we should really include a discourse on the almost over night change from anti corporate and critical of corps movement to fanboy/cult like devotion of big corps and their super super amazing products consumer drones line up for
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you read my posts correctly I am not agruing against overbridge nor a record label but would prefer elektron focus on their hardware bugs first - a year without an update on a beta machine mirrors the history with the a4 and ot os's. OT has pretty much been abandoned now.

The current elektron ideology is :Release beta product and then commence work on something new. In the end elektrons moving to an apple model : render products old by creating new products and leave the old products as junk ready to pision the enviroment This is free market /commercialization /rightwing /nut job ideology

Elektron in the 00s didnt really chop and change and refocus at the drop of a hat. They honed their products and created a great little micro social company

Ultimately if we want to discuss political theory we should really include a discourse on the almost over night change from anti corporate and critical of corps movement to fanboy/cult like devotion of big corps and their super super amazing products consumer drones line up for
You forgot to call us "sheeple" and compare yourself to Rosa Parks.

Maybe you can start an internet petition about it, I hear that's a great way for people to get things done.

We're not "fanboys", we're people that have mostly finished products (I'd like a few more models in my AR, but its pretty solid.)

You obviously don't own any of the products being discussed if you're calling them "beta".

If you want a constantly updating OS, buy a Roland plugout. Companies don't give regular updates to firmware because legacy products cost a lot of research budget that would go much better to (omg) new products.

If you want a new product, buy one.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Seriously though-

What were you promised when you bought the system that you did not receive?

What defects are you encountering that prevents you from using your system, or to the fullest?

How have they let you down, exactly? All I see is generalized complaints that may have nothing to do with Elektron
Old 24th February 2015
Problem is we need a new business model that promotes upgradeability contrary to exchanging the technology for a new set every time...
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragletrollet View Post
Problem is we need a new business model that promotes upgradeability contrary to exchanging the technology for a new set every time...
There isn't a general service model for already released hardware products. People don't want to pay more for extra features and they'd complain no matter what.

There's usually a tiny amount of dev time and money for development post-release. Some firmware benefits can be backported to earlier models, but generally once the item is launched, only rarely are new features introduced. Usually it's for cleaning up minor preexisting bugs.

I've worked for (non-music) electronics vendors and for software vendors. The allocated budget for sustaining engineering is tiny.

Last edited by chaosium; 24th February 2015 at 02:46 AM..
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Addict

Elektronauts - Analog Rytm - AR Direct Jump "concept"

^^^Seems like a problem to me.

Elektron is starting a record label now? I guess they have no interest in actually being a profitable company.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Ar a very expensive drum machine for example:
No live recording of retrigs
No direct live record of plocks when advanced track length is set or this bugs out
Pads randomly do not work or lock up
Machines listed in manual not implemented
Crippled machines, crippled midi, **** hats, **** snare, voices locked down
People want overbridge to offer more "flexibility" for a purposefully crippled machine
Use of midi sds to transfer samples
Simple transfer lock ups and glitches, sample naming ****
128 samples per project - crippled
Design and os flaws abound, useless features abound
One lfo
It's half finished and hence so any ars for sale
Don't get Me started on the OT!!!!
Md, mm, ak are fab and as A long time user I love them to death

Last edited by orwell; 24th February 2015 at 04:03 AM..
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Addict

you should make your own gear then =]
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Yep, thanks, it's called modular - doepfer, tip top and mutable modules slowly building up upwards, in my studio
Controlled by the cv tracks on the analog keys
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

So will Overbridge allow you to use the AR, A4 etc as an audio interface? I know it does streaming via the USB but curious if I could plug my system-1 into the audio input on the AR? That would be quite a space saver.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekto View Post
So will Overbridge allow you to use the AR, A4 etc as an audio interface? I know it does streaming via the USB but curious if I could plug my system-1 into the audio input on the AR? That would be quite a space saver.
A4 owner here.

My understanding is that yes, you could run through the hardware inputs and go out via the usb. For instance, if you are using the cv to trig a synth and running it through the effects it'll show up separate from the four analog tracks or if you're running it through the filters it'll show up on that track.

What I'm curious about is, if I'm running my modular through the input with fx but also using some of the fx on other tracks if those other tracks are gonna be on the same recording channel as what's hitting the inputs or if the inputs hit clean and fx are still there own channel in overbridge. I believe I read that the synth tracks will be uneffected when tracking seperatly via overbridge which leads me to think there may be a way to also get the inputs recorded dry and still use the master fx
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Seriously though-

What were you promised when you bought the system that you did not receive?

What defects are you encountering that prevents you from using your system, or to the fullest?

How have they let you down, exactly? All I see is generalized complaints that may have nothing to do with Elektron
former owner of MnM and MD. Current owner of an OT (x2).

Promised -- looper. From day 1 it was supposed to be a looper (among other capabilities). Eventually they gave us Pickup machines, which frankly suck as a traditional looper and you can't slave the OT to an external clock because if you do you can't overdub and if you mess with any controls like pitch it drops out of overdub as well.

There's a laundry list of missing features, open bugs, etc on the Elektronauts site for the OT (and other recent gear). What it appears happened is that Overbridge sucked up all the senior developer talent and all the hard problems for the existing gear have been abandoned. So, depending on how you use their gear, you may have varying views as to the state of completeness.

The OT updates had stopped for more than a year (1.25B was out October 18th, 2013) and then a couple minor bug fixes trickled out semi-recently (1.25 C and D, November 2014) with very minor tweaks and not addressing any of the major open bugs.

Point being, long-time owners that have really pushed the newer Elektron gear have discovered a lot of issues/instabilities under the surface. Overbridge won't fix it and in fact will probably further delay any OS updates to the hardware because customer support and the tech staff will be handling problem reports on Overbridge first.

Is the gear usuable as-is? To a major degree, yes. Are there significant issues that prevent it from being top-quality classic gear? yes.

To be fair, Elektron is not the only manufacturer releasing unfinished gear. DSI, Modal, Hartman, Waldorf, and John Bowen are just a few others that have been doing this and as a current owner of some and former owner of others mentioned, I'm really tired of this and will be voting with my wallet from now on.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

The AR is my first Elektron box and if they never update it or release Overbridge I'm still happy with what it is and feel like it was worth the money spent.

Of course Overbridge will be awesome and any updates/added machines will be very welcomed additions.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

What qualifies as a long time user? I have had my A4 over two years now. Zero issue with it working as advertised at purchase. No problems using the features they added about a year ago. It's never frozen up, never randomly deleted a kit, pattern or sound. Screen is the same as day one, buttons, knobs and paint have all held up. Oh and its been knocked off a table, twice.

I think a lot of people struggle to wrap their minds around the machine and then mistake their frustration for a flaw in the machine. I've seen so many posts about Elektron pieces not being able to do something they can in fact do. User error blamed on the machine. For every ****post there's an amazing track or video showing what these boxes are capable of.

I'm not saying all Elektrons are perfect. Sure there are some features I'd like added but they are not by any means missing. Not all gear is for all people. Some prefer the complexity and endless variation a DAW offers, others need the straight forward satisfaction of old school , knob per function subtractive synthesis. Elektron users fall in between I feel. People who crave complexity but want the spark of inspiration hardware and playing live bring.
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns N Dope View Post
A4 owner here.

My understanding is that yes, you could run through the hardware inputs and go out via the usb. For instance, if you are using the cv to trig a synth and running it through the effects it'll show up separate from the four analog tracks or if you're running it through the filters it'll show up on that track.

What I'm curious about is, if I'm running my modular through the input with fx but also using some of the fx on other tracks if those other tracks are gonna be on the same recording channel as what's hitting the inputs or if the inputs hit clean and fx are still there own channel in overbridge. I believe I read that the synth tracks will be uneffected when tracking seperatly via overbridge which leads me to think there may be a way to also get the inputs recorded dry and still use the master fx
Interesting! Thanks for the comprehensive reply. On another note, I pulled up a pic of the rear of the AR (I don't own one yet but plan to buy one when overbridge is out) and noticed the stereo input is a single socket. That's not 1/8 inch jack right? Are my eyes playing tricks on me?
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Guru

It's a quarter inch single jack socket for the AR input.
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Ok I see its a 1/4 inch now. So I'll need a Y-cable to plug my synth into the back of it?
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekto View Post
Ok I see its a 1/4 inch now. So I'll need a Y-cable to plug my synth into the back of it?
depends what synth obviously, mono synth no, anything with a stereo pair out then yes of course...
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Ok thanks. The best workaround seems to be I use the system-1 for audio output and stream stuff from the AR plugin.

Last edited by Alekto; 25th February 2015 at 06:03 AM..
Old 27th February 2015
Lives for gear

I'm extremely satisfied with my rytm. I really don't get the ****e sounds comments? The presets are pretty bad, but starting an empty project I can get very cool sounds out of the rytm.
All rytm below, internal sequencer too, together with some other synths sequenced by Cirklon.
I REALLY don't all the moaning, it's sound potential is ace. The hats are superb IMHO
Old 15th April 2015
Old 18th April 2015
Lives for gear

Nice!

One of the nicest GUI's i've seen.

Interesting to hear that there will be a separate plugin for processing sounds from your DAW with the the Analog filter and FX.
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Maniac

Sorry, I know this probably the wrong place to ask this newbie to Electron question but it looks like all the experts are on this thread. I'm interested in trying Electron, especially the Rytm, especially now with over bridge.
My question is I do more experimental stuff and some hip hop production for fun, not 4 on the floor ump-tick ump-tick stuff ( not judging- i like that stuff too!) so wondering if the Rytm will fulfill that or are the older drum machines by Electron better? I've heard people say they are more experimental? Why? What's the difference between them all? Rytm seems so cool, why would anyone want to use the older models?
Also any links to videos of any of these machines doing anything other than techno/house etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Last edited by mctoad; 21st April 2015 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: want to add some stuff
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctoad View Post
Sorry, I know this probably the wrong place to ask this newbie to Electron question but it looks like all the experts are on this thread. I'm interested in trying Electron, especially the Rytm, especially now with over bridge.
My question is I do more experimental stuff and some hip hop production for fun, not 4 on the floor ump-tick ump-tick stuff ( not judging- i like that stuff too!) so wondering if the Rytm will fulfill that or are the older drum machines by Electron better? I've heard people say they are more experimental? Why? What's the difference between them all? Rytm seems so cool, why would anyone want to use the older models?
Thanks guys!
Hello McToad (Scottish?) so is your material not in four/four? What is it in your productions that wouldnt work on any particular high quality drum machine? Genuine questions.
Old 21st April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgento View Post
Hello McToad (Scottish?) so is your material not in four/four? What is it in your productions that wouldnt work on any particular high quality drum machine? Genuine questions.
Part Scottish yes.
Sure, I like 4/4 and could use any drum machine. I just like the videos I've seen of the Electron stuff because of how much you can mangle analog sounds. I've just heard people say the older models can get more experimental and I just don't get why.
4 on the floor is reference to disco or house kind of music where the bass drum is on all four downbeats. It just seems like 100% of people using these machines are making that kind of music which is cool, I like it too. Just wondering if there are other videos or artists using the Rytm or older Electron drum machines differently. Even using it for hip hop.
Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search