The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elektron Overbridge Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
For this to be good that means that the converters inside have to be top-quality what about people now that are using Apogee converters and stuff like that they're going to have to switch to some unknown conversion happening inside the electron boxes
As if you can actually hear the difference.
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

All I'm saying is its a year since this thread was started and still nothing. I don't expect to use overbridge with the rytm but damn. This is like a wedding. I'm expecting my invitation any time now.
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
As if you can actually hear the difference.
i feel bad if you can't
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
i feel bad if you can't
Are you seriously bragging about your golden ears in regards to a product you don't own and haven't heard?
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you seriously bragging about your golden ears in regards to a product you don't own and haven't heard?
Are you seriously assuming the converters won't matter?
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Talked to one of the developers of Overbridge last week,his only comment was: "Så jävla fett" which roughly translated is "It ****ing rocks".
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
Talked to one of the developers of Overbridge last week,his only comment was: "Så jävla fett" which roughly translated is "It ****ing rocks".
That's good enough for me...and besides patience is a virtue..
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
That's good enough for me...and besides patience is a virtue..
Time is money
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
Time is money
what do you mean,..? as a home producer/hobbyist it matters not to me when it comes out really, I mean I know it will be released within the next 3 months so that's okay by me.
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

has anyone noticed what usb theyre using in the demos?
usb1 , 2 , 3
i cant remember it every being specified.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
what do you mean,..? as a home producer/hobbyist it matters not to me when it comes out really, I mean I know it will be released within the next 3 months so that's okay by me.
Personally, I don't like waiting for things and it costs me money waiting for things. Time spent researching, discussing, arguing, contemplating, predicting, procrastinating, all can be spent doing something else that at least has the potential to be beneficial in some way, even financially. If something comes out, let me know a week ahead, I'll look into it. Don't tell me a year ahead and then don't tell me anything and keep me guessing that its right around the corner. If it's this difficult to get stability and consistency through USB, that it takes 1 year to or more, then I'm not sure I trust the technology.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

^all of those time wasting activities are your own choice to undertake.
Just sayin'.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personally, I don't like waiting for things and it costs me money waiting for things. Time spent researching, discussing, arguing, contemplating, predicting, procrastinating, all can be spent doing something else that at least has the potential to be beneficial in some way, even financially. If something comes out, let me know a week ahead, I'll look into it. Don't tell me a year ahead and then don't tell me anything and keep me guessing that its right around the corner. If it's this difficult to get stability and consistency through USB, that it takes 1 year to or more, then I'm not sure I trust the technology.
So buy what works for you now?

"Time spent researching, discussing, arguing, contemplating, predicting, procrastinating, all can be spent doing something else that at least has the potential to be beneficial in some way, even financially."

But here you are, doing all these things.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
So buy what works for you now?

"Time spent researching, discussing, arguing, contemplating, predicting, procrastinating, all can be spent doing something else that at least has the potential to be beneficial in some way, even financially."

But here you are, doing all these things.
As much as i support this statement, This Other Guy has a point as well.

Companies, especially young and new ones, should focus on realizing their products and not on marketing their visions.

Usually, not saying inthis case, but usually a lot of hype is being built, and disappointments are due.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
As much as i support this statement, This Other Guy has a point as well.

Companies, especially young and new ones, should focus on realizing their products and not on marketing their visions.

Usually, not saying inthis case, but usually a lot of hype is being built, and disappointments are due.
I agree in general, I was mostly teasing but I don't get the complaints, the lack of Overbridge might keep someone from buying one now if that's all someone wants, but they work just great right now. I'm excited for what I can do when it's ready and mature.
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This reads as spoiled and entitled.

I agree that we're way far off from the point in respect to when they first announced having overbridge, but how is this different from most other industries? Look at the gaming industries. Games could be pushed back for years before they were released, but they were, for the most part, pretty awesome because they took time with it. The degradation came when they had to seek out a large publisher like Electronic Arts and had to meet unreasonable demands to push a game out with so many flaws. And that is not what you want out of a manufacturer. So let them take some time and hopefully the tree yields some juicy fruits.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Deadlines are deadlines, release dates are release dates
There is no beta and overbridge was announced one yr ago
Overbridge muck ups have taken elektron away from their core - hardware synths
No updates for the ar and a4 for such a long time
And now an elektron record label
A once great and proud company is losing its way
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell View Post
Interesting how two people can see things differently.
Personally I think Elektron are on fire.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah man when they announced that record label i was like fuk man how are their engineers going to have time to work on this record label and OS updates at the same time????????
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissed View Post
This reads as spoiled and entitled
I'd definitely like more models in my AR, but I don't really get the demand for updates for the sake of updates. I also don't see any evidence that their work with Overbridge is causing any issue with their products.

The silly thing is, finalizing the work with Overbridge will likely necessitate bugfixes and give firmware updates in their product lines, so I'm sure we'll see the A4, AR, etc all get updated around that launch.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Personally I value a smaller company that doesn't want to be everything to the marketplace

As an old elektron user, I prefer the orginal silver boxes to the newer black boxes To be honest
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd definitely like more models in my AR, but I don't really get the demand for updates for the sake of updates. I also don't see any evidence that their work with Overbridge is causing any issue with their products.

The silly thing is, finalizing the work with Overbridge will likely necessitate bugfixes and give firmware updates in their product lines, so I'm sure we'll see the A4, AR, etc all get updated around that launch.
Are you happy with the beta state of the AR? Plenty of evidence that the ot and ar are buggy and not supported well
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's not losing its way. It's filling gaps that other synth manufacturers aren't interested in filling. The synth world is encumbered by people who are seemingly liberal in their general politics, but absolutely republican and conservative when it comes to synths. god forbid people get the option to integrate their machines using a system that might work really well. And god forbid you actually have to exercise restraint and self-control.
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian! View Post
yeah man when they announced that record label i was like fuk man how are their engineers going to have time to work on this record label and OS updates at the same time????????
why would engineers work on the label...???

different departments doing different things, software, hardware, advertising/marketing etc etc..
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

different departments doing different things, software, hardware, advertising/marketing etc etc..
Pretty sure it was a joke. At least that's how I took it. Of course the label is going to be run by different staff. Pretty sure the coders and hardware geeks are not having the same skillset required by a label boss.
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:

It was a joke.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissed View Post
It's not losing its way. It's filling gaps that other synth manufacturers aren't interested in filling. The synth world is encumbered by people who are seemingly liberal in their general politics, but absolutely republican and conservative when it comes to synths. god forbid people get the option to integrate their machines using a system that might work really well. And god forbid you actually have to exercise restraint and self-control.
Pretty strange to be using political theory as an analogy

It's not at all about centralization of audio or decentralization of objects/items per say or political liberal American style freedom it's about supporting actual hardware that works - ok I am also going to use a similar random out of context analogy........why manufacture say a next gen solar panel that barely generates power say 40% of its capacity (ar) due To bugs and then suddenly create a huge grid network to distribute the limited power (over bridge )......at the same time suddenly announce let's start a hydroponic vertical farm (record label)
In the end any micro company (formerly supported by the state)moving into SME commerical terroritory, which doesn't consolidate it's core business, is doomed to repeat the mistakes of the ghost of business past
Old 22nd February 2015
Every time this thread is bumped to the top, I get a little flutter in my stomach and think to myself "it's arrived"! Then I check with the posts and find it's you lot arguing about nothing.

Get a move on Elektron, I'm waiting patiently, but I want this right now.
Old 22nd February 2015
Quote:
If something comes out, let me know a week ahead, I'll look into it. Don't tell me a year ahead and then don't tell me anything and keep me guessing that its right around the corner. If it's this difficult to get stability and consistency through USB, that it takes 1 year to or more, then I'm not sure I trust the technology.
I agree.

Announce it when it is due, not when there is no clue when it will arive. (although I can remember Q4 2014)

I wanted to get an AR, but really need that overbridge stuff, otherwise I have no use for it in my fully loaded convertors and analog IO filled, need the IO over USB.

And Iwant to edit on my thunderrbolt displays, not on that tiny 1985 display, which is a insult to the customer I think with all those nice OLEDS (Maschine Studio) around. When I had the OG machinedrum back in the days it was appropiate, not anymore IMO

But, indeed, if it takes this long and postponing, I dont have a solid trust in that it will work as it should bugfree (at launch at least, maybe 10 updates later)

Skipped it for now till a final version of overbridge arrives with full confirmation that it will on my specific setup..

All of this above is my personal take on it, FWIW
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search