The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elektron Overbridge Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 23rd January 2015
that ish is sweet right there. been eyeballing the analog keys . . .
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
well it looks like I'm finally going to have to find a basic DAW to act as a VST host, and I wouldn't know where the hell to start, been a Reason user for sooooooooo long now..
Reaper or Tracktion 5 are solid choices. They are not necessarily basic, but load fast, cost little, don't take up much space, and are fairly straight forward. Great for recording also. No dongles or other crap, either.
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
For this to be good that means that the converters inside have to be top-quality what about people now that are using Apogee converters and stuff like that they're going to have to switch to some unknown conversion happening inside the electron boxes
If you have better converters, use them, if not use the Elektron ones. You can probably just use the the VST control / total recall aspects without audio conversion / streaming. Elektron are offering you more choice...for free. I think that's always going to be a good thing regardless if you choose not to use it.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubiedubie View Post
If you have better converters, use them, if not use the Elektron ones. You can probably just use the the VST control / total recall aspects without audio conversion / streaming. Elektron are offering you more choice...for free. I think that's always going to be a good thing regardless if you choose not to use it.
no it's definitely cool. let's hope you are'nt REQUIRED to use the audio part like on the virus. that's what made it so ****ty and caused all the delay and sync problems.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
that ish is sweet right there. been eyeballing the analog keys . . .
have you got an a4?

they are great machines.. ive got my eye on a keys as well, to go with my a4
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

hubiedubie took the words from my mouth. Overbridge is a bonus, much like poly mode and the plus drive were. It's not a paid upgrade nor is it required it's just another feature on an already amazing machine.

Screens look cool so far!

I had a thread about potential vst hosts and the consensus seemed to be Audacity for free and basic functionality, Reaper is cheap and can do more and then bigwig, live and the rest if you want that.
Old 23rd January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
have you got an a4?

they are great machines.. ive got my eye on a keys as well, to go with my a4
no A4, just assumed this would work with AK. is that not the case? i need the midi control functionality or else id just go with the A4 . . .
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
no it's definitely cool. let's hope you are'nt REQUIRED to use the audio part like on the virus. that's what made it so ****ty and caused all the delay and sync problems.
You can plug an A4 into a converter right now... Surely you don't think using the usb for midi / editing will disable the hardware audio outs? That's nonsensical. If the virus is like that then well, wow.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
no A4, just assumed this would work with AK. is that not the case? i need the midi control functionality or else id just go with the A4 . . .
yeah, it will work - i was just interested if you had used the A4 & now wanted a keys like me -

i really like them, i get more music made with the A4 than anything else i own
Old 23rd January 2015
Quote:
yeah, it will work - i was just interested if you had used the A4 & now wanted a keys like me -

i really like them, i get more music made with the A4 than anything else i own
awesome, no im still saving for one. it will be my first analog synth. I'm told its a steep learning curve for a first, but I've cut my teeth on softsynths of all stripes so I hope to pick it up with a little patience
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

go over & sign up at Elektronauts if you havent already - its a really good community
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns N Dope View Post
You can plug an A4 into a converter right now... Surely you don't think using the usb for midi / editing will disable the hardware audio outs? That's nonsensical. If the virus is like that then well, wow.
i didn't say it would disable the hardware outs.

on the virus the plugin has audio integrated and there's no way to really disable it. you can set it to the hardware outputs but it still has a lot of sync issues because it's overdone and still runs USB 1.
Old 23rd January 2015
Quote:
go over & sign up at Elektronauts if you havent already - its a really good community
hey thanks, just joined
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Reaper or Tracktion 5 are solid choices. They are not necessarily basic, but load fast, cost little, don't take up much space, and are fairly straight forward. Great for recording also. No dongles or other crap, either.
Thanks Mivo..hadn't heard of Tracktion 5 before, will have a looksee, both Reaper and it work on a mac I hope..?
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
hubiedubie took the words from my mouth. Overbridge is a bonus, much like poly mode and the plus drive were. It's not a paid upgrade nor is it required it's just another feature on an already amazing machine.

Screens look cool so far!

I had a thread about potential vst hosts and the consensus seemed to be Audacity for free and basic functionality, Reaper is cheap and can do more and then bigwig, live and the rest if you want that.
could you post a link to that thread if you get chance..??

I've used Audacity in the past, long long time ago back on a Sawtooth mac from memory, didn't think it hosted VST's it surely didn't back then, it does now..??
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just fyi, the virus is not like that. You CAN use the USB outs, or the hardware outs, just set it in the editor.
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Guru

Mods can we merge the two Overbridge threads..??
Old 24th January 2015
Quote:
Mods can we merge the two Overbridge threads..??
Sorry, my bad!
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

So is it there now? Or not?
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Coming along very nicely

Looking good:
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubiedubie View Post
Looking good:

Nice! Even better than I expected.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear
Is there any spec on the ADC part yet ? I just hope it's not limited to 44,1/48kHz. So many ITB tools sound better at 96kHz, and I'd rather have all my files at such sample rate from the beginning, rather than upsampling some recordings etc...
I'm so looking forward the seamless, hassle-free hybrid workflow !
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Guru

TBH I'm not really needing the DAW integration, I like the on board sequencer, I'd just like the editor to be open on the desktop so I can edit more things faster as the unit is playing it's on board sequencer...do y'all know what I mean, the final product will get recorded into a DAW but I don't want or need full DAW integration like in the video...hopefully it works standalone.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

All nice and well, but when will it be on sale?
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

10ms latency?!
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

What else can you expect from an USB connection that is not even using standard audio device ports/protocols?

The recallability is the selling point for me here. Hoping we can dump samples to the AR via the plugin interface as well (not holding my breath on that tho).
Old 24th January 2015
seems like they are doing a great job...think an A4 is coming to me soon...
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Mivo..hadn't heard of Tracktion 5 before, will have a looksee, both Reaper and it work on a mac I hope..?
You have my warm, fat recommendation for Tracktion T5 as well.

I have Cubase, Ableton and PT, but use T5 more than other.
It has all, works smooth and help creativity.
SW developer company is small operation, no advertising budget, but they have devoted cutomer base for more than 10 year now. For few years it was owned by Mackie and now back to original developer.
GS is especially arogant to T5 and rare voice is heard about it, what is totally unjustified.
IMO Reaper is way less interesting, but it is easy to try both and decide.
After you decide, pls. report
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Addict

It's still under development and hitting 10ms latency. I can very happily live that. I suspect it will bettered throughout 2015.
Old 20th February 2015
You can still monitor while you make the beat from the main outputs for zero latency then when ready to dump to computer use overbridge. Right?

This would prob would be my workflow.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search