The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 6th December 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Well Akai surprised me and released a fix for the scaling issue.. Kudos! I really didn't know if they had it in them but I'm happy to eat my words.

Rhythm Wolf Tuning Utility - Windows

Rhythm Wolf Tuning Utility - Mac

It was a little wonky to get it to calibrate for me but it did seem to do the trick.
Old 6th December 2014
Lives for gear

The tuning app seems to work exactly the way I expected: it scans through all of the DAC codes for the VCO's CV and measures the resulting pitch, then builds a new tuning table based on that, thus recalibrating the tuning. Presumably this is the same thing that's done at the factory when it's tested. If the designers actually knew what they were doing, and still wanted to use a cheap VCO design that drifted all over the place, they would have built this capability into the unit from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
It was a little wonky to get it to calibrate for me but it did seem to do the trick.
Here's what I'm curious about at this point: First, how long does it take does it take to run the app? Second, how long before the Rhythm Wolf goes significantly out of tune and you have to run it again? I'd imagine this might be problematic for live use, for example, but maybe not in the studio. I think this is the critical part, as it's no good if the app takes 45 minutes and then it's out of tune again in another two hours.

I also wonder if you could feed the app some garbage signal instead of the Rhythm Wolf's output to deliberately make the pitch really erratic.
Old 6th December 2014
Here for the gear

it takes about 3 minutes to do the sweep tune, and fine tune can take about 45 seconds - 3 minutes depending on how far out of tune it is.
Old 6th December 2014
Here for the gear

you could keep moving the tune knob while it's tuning. that would result in a strange randomized tuning at the end..
Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear

What an "interesting" little box.
Old 7th December 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by notechnotech View Post
you could keep moving the tune knob while it's tuning. that would result in a strange randomized tuning at the end..
I tried this. the app fails If the pitch deviates too much. I'll experiment more tho
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

So, how are the Rythm Wolf's holding up. This thread hasn't been active for awhile. Did everybody send it back? Are there still issues that haven't been worked out?
Old 21st December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher View Post
So, how are the Rythm Wolf's holding up. This thread hasn't been active for awhile. Did everybody send it back? Are there still issues that haven't been worked out?

I returned mine to the shop. However, since I did that, Akai have released a fix of sorts. From what I read in the ongoing notifications from a similar thread in the Akai Pro forum (see Rhythm Wolf bass bynth scaling/ tuning issues), it appears that the firmware fix does resolve the problem. But it seems that people need to set the tuning knob to nine o'clock to make it work. Given that might pose some difficulties for use in a live performance situation - it's not as if there's a detente position for that - I'm glad I took my Rhythm Wolf back.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by comradec View Post
I returned mine to the shop. However, since I did that, Akai have released a fix of sorts. From what I read in the ongoing notifications from a similar thread in the Akai Pro forum (see Rhythm Wolf bass bynth scaling/ tuning issues), it appears that the firmware fix does resolve the problem. But it seems that people need to set the tuning knob to nine o'clock to make it work. Given that might pose some difficulties for use in a live performance situation - it's not as if there's a detente position for that - I'm glad I took my Rhythm Wolf back.
Interesting... Thanks for the update. I'm glad I held off getting one.
Old 31st December 2014
Lives for gear

I was very close to getting this WOLF drum machine..

I actually like the demo.. 200.00 bucks on Ebay too.

How do you lads like it? I like the hh and the 808 analog bass that it can produce.. I might pick one up later next year to compliment TR8, maybe.
Old 14th January 2015
Here for the gear

I Bought one and was heartbroken about the bass scaling issue and returned it. Heard about the fix and bought another one today. The tuning utility was super easy to use and now I have a Wolf that can carry a tune! Man, I love this thing! It sounds like Daft Punk packed into a tiny box with synthetic wood paneling. This is just what I was hoping for. At 60 bpm and the length set to 1/32 you can really tease complex melodies out of it. Super intuitive. I'm getting really great Portishead tones out of her already.....Smell ya later Volca Beats.
Old 14th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovietcong View Post
I Bought one and was heartbroken about the bass scaling issue and returned it. Heard about the fix and bought another one today. The tuning utility was super easy to use and now I have a Wolf that can carry a tune! Man, I love this thing! It sounds like Daft Punk packed into a tiny box with synthetic wood paneling. This is just what I was hoping for. At 60 bpm and the length set to 1/32 you can really tease complex melodies out of it. Super intuitive. I'm getting really great Portishead tones out of her already.....Smell ya later Volca Beats.
Hey look! It's you again! That guy who has only ever posted on GS about the Rhytym Wolf! The thread vanished and then you vanished! And then the thread came back and so did you!

Old 14th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
ooo. I smell an Akai insider posting on GS.
Old 14th January 2015
Here for the gear

Naw. I'm just an aging indie rocker whose finally getting into synth stuff. I'm usually lurking in the guitar forums. My band has no drummer and I was looping beats onto my loopstation from my Volca. After I saw a documentary about Portishead I realized what an analog bass sequencer is (!!!). I'm a guitar guy mind you. I hold no allegiance to Akai. Fender, yeah sure. I'd shill for them any day if it actually paid.

Definitely didn't mean to pee in the pool. Sorry. I'll go back to TGP.
Old 14th January 2015
Hey Sovietcong welcome! Hope you don't run off.

Cool that you're interested in the Rhythm Wolf! Yeah I ended liking it more than Volca beats. By a mile!
Old 14th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Hey Sovietcong welcome! Hope you don't run off.

Cool that you're interested in the Rhythm Wolf! Yeah I ended liking it more than Volca beats. By a mile!
Thanks Dre'! I'm a nuts and bolts kind of guy (more tubes and transformers). Y'all electronic gearheads posses secret knowledge us guitar players covet and fear. I must admit that I'm intimidated. But there is a confluence of indierock and sludgy synth that I want to achieve and the RW is the only thing (affordable thing) that looks good to me. All analog, intuitive for a dingbat like me, 32 steps for longer bass lines, cheap as hell, and most importantly NO PC REQUIRED! Why do all these new drum machines require a computer on the side? makesnosensetome. I need live tools for live performance.

I look forward to learning what the hell a gate trigger is and how to use it with a vintage toaster.
Old 14th January 2015
Lives for gear

Although, I don't have one and don't know if I agree with this guy in any way, I did laugh out loud watching this rant. Pretty amusing.

I love how at the end he says "don't buy Akai" and then the camera pans down and shows his MPK and APC in his studio before it turns off. (insert snarky emoticon here)
Old 14th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents View Post
Although, I don't have one and don't know if I agree with this guy in any way, I did laugh out loud watching this rant. Pretty amusing.

I love how at the end he says "don't buy Akai" and then the camera pans down and shows his MPK and APC in his studio before it turns off. (insert snarky emoticon here)
That is the best online review of anything ever.
Old 14th January 2015
Gear Guru

The Volca sample kicks it's arse big time...!!
Old 14th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
The Volca sample kicks it's arse big time...!!
The Volca Sample does look extra groovy. The Keys too. I'm think'n about putting a Sample next to the RW to fill it out. The RW's real problem is it only makes 6 sounds (5 really) and some of the knobs don't travel so far...if at all. But I expected it to be really limited. An "ancient drum computer" was exactly the sound I was looking for.
Old 14th January 2015
Quote:
The Volca Sample does look extra groovy. The Keys too. I'm think'n about putting a Sample next to the RW to fill it out. The RW's real problem is it only makes 6 sounds (5 really) and some of the knobs don't travel so far...if at all. But I expected it to be really limited. An "ancient drum computer" was exactly the sound I was looking for.
Ha you read my mind to what I was going to tell you.

Literally I was going to say that the Rhythm Wolf is cool but not great. Not the strongest drum machine around in fact maybe one of the weakest of all.

But I was also going to add you might want to pair it up with something else to fill in. Teaming it with the Volca Sample is what I was going to say. Also there are other drum and bass machines that it can pair with.

My question to you though is are you going to try to set up an entire song and let it run, or is this setup something you are looking to use as a performance or perform the drum track?
Old 14th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let's hear some samples!
Old 14th January 2015
hey wolf owners, do you think it'll work well as a secuencer for a nord drum?
Old 14th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sata_fortuna View Post
hey wolf owners, do you think it'll work well as a secuencer for a nord drum?
This is something I looked into. I believe so since you can just make the nord drum sounds learn what note is supposed to trigger them.
Old 14th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents View Post

dunno why but I want one now to see how bad this thing can be...it can be that bad surely?? stick it through some pedals and a preamp??

anyway as soon as they start blowing them out at $150 Ill grab one I think
Old 14th January 2015
Gear Addict

I've got one and it is honestly pretty bad, though not rage worthy as seen in that video, honestly not sure why I didn't return it. I agree with some of what he said about the sounds though.

No real variety in kick sound, I almost feel like the tune has too wide of a range, you only get a decent thump in the last 25%, anything lower than that and it is kind of just a click to me, decay and attack do ****all. Snare only gels with itself at lower velocities and lower decays, anything over the lowest velocity just sounds like white noise with no pitched sound at all tbh. Percussion is good for wood blocks that's it, can't change the decay or anything. Hats IMO are OK, having the decay be shared between them was a stupid move and makes the 2 sound very similar unless you sequence in different velocities which then leads to inconsistencies in the volume, which isn't a bad thing if you're trying to make things sound less static but in this case the volume difference is too much.

Apparently this thing has a bass synth in it?

Didn't even know about the midi problems.

Haven't touched mine since I got the volca sample, which I would recommend over the wolf honestly, just load it full of the sounds you were hoping to get from the wolf and enjoy.
Old 14th January 2015
The best way I can describe the sound on the wolf is imagine the Boss DR-55 expanded into a more playable drum machine.

Just for conversation sake do any of you think Akai will ever try another analog drum machine or do you think this was it?
Old 14th January 2015
The best way I can describe the sound on the wolf is imagine the Boss DR-55 expanded into a more playable drum machine.

Just for conversation sake do any of you think Akai will ever try another analog drum machine or do you think this was it?
Old 14th January 2015
Gear Addict

Idk about Akai but I think Arturia sure try their hands at it. I like their brute series.
Old 14th January 2015
Arturia would nail it imo...as long as they watch build quality

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search