The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be0c6fb View Post
So are you inferring that Moog is just holding back yet in reality they could design, manufacturer, and sell an identical reissue to the Minimoog for $200, and on top of it they could fit it all in a box similar to the size of a Minibrute?
I am sure they could do it at a similar price and size to the MiniBrute, if they wanted to, yes, absolutely.

Not necessarily an identical reissue, if the full wooden case has to be the same, but in terms of the circuitry and keyboard, abso****inglutely!

They don't have to design anything from scratch, like the MS-20, they just have to redesign the MiniMoog circuitry to suit available modern SMT components and manufacturing methods.

It is just electronic circuits, with a keyboard and knobs.

Why couldn't they do it?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I dont care if it sounds like a pifly 70's organ beat buddy, or has few outputs, hell it could even have samba presets and Var II buttons - I'm getting it. My MPC could sound like any drum I wanted - but - yeah - digital!

This things analogical - and if I don't like it, i can gut it and have a $200 bread bin!

Win win!
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Apathy View Post
Linn heritage how? Not being a jerk...just asking seriously. Linn was notoriously sample based and AIRA has swing....so....???
Well Linn developed MPC60 sequencer with AKAI after Linn went under with super expensive 9000. For years Akai would tout Linn in connection with 'swing' and the MPC series sequencer.
So if the 'wolf is an analogue 'MPC', it kind of follows on in that line. The use of velocity rather than accent in the sequencer rather suggests the sequencer is more 'MPC' than 'TR', as does the swing in %.
Just being excited for Akai and tongue-in-cheek. But £200 for the 'wolf suggests that it's cheaper to just build some analogue designs than model them.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru
I really don't understand why it being analog makes it so much better... especially with how cheap it is.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
Well Linn developed MPC60 sequencer with AKAI after Linn went under with super expensive 9000. For years Akai would tout Linn in connection with 'swing' and the MPC series sequencer.
So if the 'wolf is an analogue 'MPC', it kind of follows on in that line. The use of velocity rather than accent in the sequencer rather suggests the sequencer is more 'MPC' than 'TR', as does the swing in %.
anyone got a roll of duct tape?

(ffs, i need to go for a walk.)
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Reaction quotes from Synthtopia:

"Analog sounds & last step for $200?
SOLD!"

"This looks excellent and what a great name."

"I would buy it for the name alone. All jokes aside this looks pretty cool and the price is so right."

"Only the Beat Thang has a worse name."

"But but… it doesn’t have green blinking lights!"

"don’t forget akai released this without 500 teasers…and with specs and price tag, that’s what I call impact!"

"$200 with gate triggers? SOLD."

"It’s ugly as hell. But at that price and specs, who cares."

"Hehe, might be good, but it does look like they are desperately trying to get rid of all the buttons they made for the iMPC case thing that was such a flop "
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Should be interesting to see what the other manufacturers are coming out with and their response to this..

Im interested more in akais offering than anyone else, but i wont buy something just because its cheap.

We are in the golden shower of gear!
Hoping Arturia throw their hat into the ring! And something more "grown up" from Korg!
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
I am sure they could do it at a similar price and size to the MiniBrute, if they wanted to, yes, absolutely.

Not necessarily an identical reissue, if the full wooden case has to be the same, but in terms of the circuitry and keyboard, abso****inglutely!

They don't have to design anything from scratch, like the MS-20, they just have to redesign the MiniMoog circuitry to suit available modern SMT components and manufacturing methods.

Why couldn't they do it?
Well for starters they are all manufactured in the U.S.
They are without doubt built better than the Arturia stuff.

Now could they build it a lot cheaper if they used cheaper parts and built in Asia, abso****inglutely!
Old 11th March 2014
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post

Why couldn't they do it?
I'm not saying that they couldn't, I don't have the background or expertise in designing and manufacturing a synthesizer. However I bet some would argue that "it doesn't sound the same" because it doesn't use discrete circuitry. I think people have complained about the MS-20 not sounding identical - personally I don't care as long as new version sounds good in it's own way.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I'd be a little amazed if the Volca team at Korg was like, "Yeah, that snare sounds fine." It was more likely that corners had to be cut and they decided that was one. Now, I think it was stupid of them.
Actually I think they did make such a subjective decision. I don't know if you saw that snare mod video that's been floating around here, but it can be got to a more 'traditional' electronic snare sound with only a slight alteration; if they had chosen to build it that way I think the cost difference would have been 10 cents or less, resistors and capacitors cost only a few cents in bulk. My opinion of the vlca snare was that they tried to go for a nastier, more modern sound. I don't love it but nor do I hate it.

Something else with the RW - while it has the acid-styled bass voice (based on the the front panel parameters) it is only doing four basic drum voices (the open/closed hat will be built off the same circuit). I thought it was a slight mistake for the Volca Beats to have as many voices as it did; this added a cost that was not so much financial as in terms of space on the PCB.

I will bet you a bottle of beer (since we live within walking distance of each other) that the drum voices sound pretty tight. The bass voice, who knows.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
They could've called it Rhythm Rectum for all I care.
Actually, Rhythm Rectum is the official unofficial name of the Metasonix D-1000.
Old 11th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 View Post
I wonder if that sequencer will have the famous akai swing settings programmed into it.
if you look on the panel it has swing settings
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

so of course they must be "the famous Akai swing settings". of course.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Wow interesting move by Akai..

Times are horrible when you're an analog lover like me.. there's the aira stuff, the streichfett, this and who knows what Arturia is coming out with next.. and then there's the Karp coming out later.. man i'm gonna need a better job real soon.. and more space!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 11th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Wtf, that was a surprise out of nowhere.

If this sounds nearly as tasteless as it looks, I think it will be worth having.

Features seem very decent for the price, and they included a Last Step function, thank g.

Here is a list of all their Messe stuff:<-
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

At least this appears to hold more patterns than the TR8…
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt View Post
Nice! More lovely ANALOG small drum machines. Keep them coming! One thing only, name is awful. Wolf? Really?
They should name it Bad Wolf for us Doctor Who fans!
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
Just being excited for Akai and tongue-in-cheek. But £200 for the 'wolf suggests that it's cheaper to just build some analogue designs than model them.
OK I see where you're coming from. I actually hope it sounds nothing like a TR or a TB as it gives me a reason to have both (or should I say all three).
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by damondarkwalker View Post
They should name it Bad Wolf for us Doctor Who fans!
Or pull a "Korg" (like their famous M10 into 01W episode) and call it the "FLOW"

How does AKAI Flow sound?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head

A few quick thoughts...
A. I'm really excited by this little machine. It's great to have another analog option for such a cheap price.
B. I was this excited about the Volcas too till I started to read up on people's experiences with them which are mixed at best.
C. There are absolutely no demos of this thing yet and I am skeptical until I hear it. This cracks me up on a gear site that so many people are hyped about something they haven't seen or heard yet in ANY demos especially after the Volca experience.
D. This thing may sound way better than TR8, but the same could also be true for TR8. TR8 sounds damn good for VA as does the TB3 and I will now duck before the mud starts flying at me lol
E. Since when did Akai start making quality gear? They haven't released a good piece of hardware since MPC4000 and even that had bugs! I swear some people hate Roland so much they say and believe anything about other products to prove their point. Akai hardware has bombed the last 6 years, first the MPC5000 and then the MPC Ren. Finally there is absolutely no "Roger Linn swing" in this thing and there is no mystical connection between the Wolf and the MPC60/3K.
F. Last but not least how is it that the sequencer having 32 steps is a monumental deal breaker on the TR8 and is accepted if not admired on the Wolf? I wouldn't care except there was just much resentment and anger in the Aira thread it was laughable.

Go Akai! I hope Wolf is a hit and I look forward to playing one in a store this summer.
Old 11th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

So, anyone familiar with Akai samplers who can make a qualified guess if the Tune parameter of the (off topic now) MPX16 actually alters the speed of a sample as opposed to being a length-preserving, warbly effect-type thing?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfunk View Post
A few quick thoughts...
A. I'm really excited by this little machine. It's great to have another analog option for such a cheap price.
B. I was this excited about the Volcas too till I started to read up on people's experiences with them which are mixed at best.
C. There are absolutely no demos of this thing yet and I am skeptical until I hear it. This cracks me up on a gear site that so many people are hyped about something they haven't seen or heard yet in ANY demos especially after the Volca experience.
D. This thing may sound way better than TR8, but the same could also be true for TR8. TR8 sounds damn good for VA as does the TB3 and I will now duck before the mud starts flying at me lol
E. Since when did Akai start making quality gear? They haven't released a good piece of hardware since MPC4000 and even that had bugs! I swear some people hate Roland so much they say and believe anything about other products to prove their point. Akai hardware has bombed the last 6 years, first the MPC5000 and then the MPC Ren. Finally there is absolutely no "Roger Linn swing" in this thing and there is no mystical connection between the Wolf and the MPC60/3K.
F. Last but not least how is it that the sequencer having 32 steps is a monumental deal breaker on the TR8 and is accepted if not admired on the Wolf? I wouldn't care except there was just much resentment and anger in the Aira thread it was laughable.

Go Akai! I hope Wolf is a hit and I look forward to playing one in a store this summer.

B. Volcas looked cool but then you sit back and realize its a toy, I'm glad I never caved on these. Rather have something that costs more and does it right than something cheap that I'll never use. Its like when you were a kid and saw a commercial for something and it looked amazing, and by the time your parents caved and bought it for you it blew.

F. The Wolf appears to have pattern storage. The TR8 can only have 16 patterns. That is a deal breaker for me. Way to take your emulation *too* far, Roland.
Old 11th March 2014
PES
Lives for gear

EDIT: misread
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
The TR8 can only have 2 patterns. That is a deal breaker for me.
what??
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
So, anyone familiar with Akai samplers who can make a qualified guess if the Tune parameter of the (off topic now) MPX16 actually alters the speed of a sample as opposed to being a length-preserving, warbly effect-type thing?

Should be this
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
what??

My mistake…finally found the official spec of 16 patterns…

Still not all that generous by 2014 standards...
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
so of course they must be "the famous Akai swing settings". of course.
Time to relax a bit? Everyone's having a bit of fun with 'classic' akai marketing spiel, that's all.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
if you look on the panel it has swing settings
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I knew it was coming, I expected it to be in mpc form though. I also feels like there people on here from Akai. It looks thrown together. Hopefully it sounds good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search