The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 17th November 2014
Here for the gear
Impossible to mod??

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's an IC printed board normally associated with all digital devices. The good news is that firmware should be able to fix a lot of issues the bad news is that you won't be able to mod it.

I've spent some time looking at modern analogue delay units and the market is full of Chinese digital VA delays sold as completely analogue, in fact AKAI sell one.

It would be really funny and a very low point for the company if they have lied to everyone selling a VA as a full analogue device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Here's a quick teardown or the RW. Sadly there are no trimpots inside
Old 17th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackstarr View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but that's an IC printed board normally associated with all digital devices. ...
What do you mean?

Because it's SMD? If so, get with the times, many modern analogs are SMD..
Old 17th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I'm confused, how does an instrument gain credibility when it's completely out of tune and the hi hat knob does very little if anything..??
Because it sounds good and is cheap.
Old 18th November 2014
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but that's an IC printed board normally associated with all digital devices.
I don't mean to say this coldly, but you are in fact wrong - there is nothing inherently digital about an integrated circuit. ICs can be analog, digital, or a combination of both. See the Classification section at that wikipedia link for more detail.
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would be really funny and a very low point for the company if they have lied to everyone selling a VA as a full analogue device.
if it was VA it would play in tune
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
if it was VA it would play in tune
ohh snap
Old 18th November 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I hope other brands have been reading this thread and are getting on with making a simple cheap analog drum machine, there is evidence there is a fairly decent market for a drum machine that simply does Kick, snare, clap, tom, hats and a crash or conga type sound...

Imagine it, six sounds, a 16 step sequencer, we don't need a synth part, midi in and out, and all parts tunable, with pots for attack, decay, release, sustain, simple on board filter, delay, bit crusher & reverb.

ffs it's 2014 and we can't even find anything like this for the thousands of bed room producers ready to blow their wad on...??
Yeah... where could people find something like that... oh yeah!

a n a l o g u e h a v e n

(click on the "add to cart" button)

Sorry, I have zero sympathy for any angry Rhythm Wolf customer. It wasn't as if they weren't screaming, "Crap, our drum machine has really bad problems!" right out of the gate. What can you expect from a product whose announcement is quickly proceeded by a bold faced lie? Why did you expect a high quality hardware drum machine for the price of a software plug in?

On a very hot day a guy walking through Chinatown wanders into a gift shop. He sees the owner behind the counter and asks, "Can I buy a fan? It's hot as hell out there!" So the owner presents him with a fine looking Chinese fan. Ebony with silk fabric and a very ornate design. "Beautiful," the man exclaims, "how much is it?" The owner replies, "$20."

"Oh no no." the man replies. I just need something simple to fan myself on this hot day. I don't need anything this fancy." So the owner brings out a similar fan but without the decoration." "$15."

"That's still way too expensive," the man said. "Haven't you anything cheaper?"

The owner brings out a simple pine and paper fan. "$10."

"No, you're not getting me. I just need the cheapest fan you have. I don't need anything this fancy." So the owner reaches into a little bin and produces a very flimsy plastic and tissue paper fan. "50 cents."

"Perfect," the man said. He pays and is on his way. 2 minutes later he's back. The fan is tattered and torn and the guy is dripping sweat. "Hey! What's the deal!? It fell apart after a minute of use!" "How did you use the fan?" asked the owner. "You know! Like this!" The man waves the tattered fan in front of his face." "Oh no no no," said the shop owner. $10 dollar and up fans work that way. 50 cent fan you fan like this. The shop owner then holds the tattered fan up to his face where it remains stationary and he swings his head back and forth in front of it.

The End.
Old 18th November 2014
Gear Guru
what happens in Chinatown .. stays in Chinatown

http://unsoundrecords.com/fileadmin/..._chinatown.mp3
Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear

AKAI Rhythm Wolf Review: Analog Doesn't Always Mean Better - Create Digital Music

"There’s no gentle way to put this. It sounds not good.
The bass drum is fine. You can pitch it down and get something fairly workable. Personally, I feel it doesn’t compare with other offerings, and now thanks to KORG, that includes the dirt-cheap volca BEATS with its floor-rattling kick. But it’s usable.

The snare drum and percussion are, in my opinion … not fine. At best, they resemble sort of white noise generators; at worst, they’re flat and unusable. The hats and cymbals are even worse: noise-y, clang-y affairs that qualify as what they are, but only just.

The upshot is, even with the full range of knobs, I wasn’t able to find a set of variations I’d want to record. The sounds are perfectly fine for a $50 boutique kit, but not something that has an AKAI badge."

"Then there’s the bass synth, which seems to crowd out an already-flawed design with something you don’t really want. The single-oscillator affair starts out sounding thin, so you think, perhaps, you’ll add the filter and it’ll improve. But the more you add resonance, the quieter the filter gets – the opposite of what you want. As mediocre as the drum parts are, the synth seems like wasted space.

Adding insult to injury, the so-called “Howl” knob just seems like overdriving gain: things get a bit louder and distorted and mostly you add copious amounts of background noise."

"I was already so unhappy with the synth that I didn’t bother to think about whether it would hold its tune across its multi-octave range. But it doesn’t. Yikes."

"As it happens, you can use the pads and step triggers to transmit MIDI, both over USB and the onboard MIDI ports. But in another disadvantage to AKAI’s analog approach, you can’t use any of the 21 onboard parameter knobs to transmit MIDI – they’re analog only. So I don’t think you’d buy the Rhythm Wolf as a drum machine."

"I think the Rhythm Wolf is going to be a really big seller, whatever I say. But let’s at least, some of us, declare two things.

First, “analog” does not mean “sounds good.” That does an injustice to the hard, mysterious, and pleasurable work of making great-sounding analog gear, and the many possibilities of digital gear, and that both are routes to solving problems. (Wood is nice; you can also make something poor out of wood, or something beautiful out of plastic or bamboo.)

Second, “cheap” should not mean lowering our standards. Someone could serve me a junior McDonald’s Happy Meal and then punch me in the face. It’d be cheap, but I’d get very angry. This isn’t that bad, but at least feels like a Happy Meal without a free toy."
Old 20th November 2014
Gear Guru
Isn't it more like a happy meal toy without the meal?
Old 20th November 2014
Gear Guru

why would anyone buy this over the Volca sample...???
Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
why would anyone buy this over the Volca sample...???
I'd even take a simple Bongo over the Rhythm Wolf, tbh.

Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear

RIP rhythm wolf, Mar2014-Nov2014.
Old 20th November 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
I've has plenty of entrainment out of it so far and I've not even tried one yet!
Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear
The far superior Rhythm Worf:

Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear

I always value CDM's reviews, but interestingly I find the clangy white noise hihat sounds appealing. I too would snap at a cheap used one or a blowout special - but for $200 nah...
Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear

Rhythm Wolf Rescue modification companies just ahead....
Old 21st November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, because all analogs are amazing and all VA's are bad...

All that matters is the sound, and the digital Roland TR8 leaves this thing howling in the wind.
Old 23rd November 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive View Post
I'd even take a simple Bongo over the Rhythm Wolf, tbh.

In fairness, the Rhythm Wolf does come with a better onboard sequencer.
Old 28th November 2014
Lives for gear

sad to see everyone having these problems with Rhythm Wolf....

if you are hoping for fixes, feedback and updates you might be interested to skim through these:

Rhythm Wolf bass bynth scaling/ tuning issues

Rhythm Wolf Firmware Ideas

and here (but why., it's about a different product??):

Trigger Finger Pro out of Sync

Want to See How Broken the TFP Extern Sync Algorithm is? Then Look Here.[id]=15062567#reply_15062567

I'm returning the TFP too

same appalling pseudo forum? check.
same guy 'I'll let the team know"-ing? check.
same criminal lack of support and updates in both? check.
start/stop/sequencer/sync problems? check.

da DAAAAAAAAA----- inMusic - Home of the world’s premier music industry brands
Old 3rd December 2014
Here for the gear
hahahah this thread got pretty funny. unfortunately my rhythm wolf just got returned. i decided to go big instead...i went tempest. analog rytm is on deck in case the tempest doesn't work out. or in case i need 2 drum machines
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

reminds me of those infomercial products that are broken before you get to use them. then when you call the support line you realize that every option in the automated phone system leads to the sales department to sell you more

maybe akai should start targeting seniors?
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewing View Post
reminds me of those infomercial products that are broken before you get to use them. then when you call the support line you realize that every option in the automated phone system leads to the sales department to sell you more
Old 3rd December 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
coming soon akai st bernard rescue machine
Old 4th December 2014
Upon opening the tuning utility dmg has anyone got blank icons like these? Or is it my computer?

Also where is the manual for this tuning app?

Surely they couldn't have F'd this up too.

Attached Thumbnails
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth-iconswolftuning.png  
Old 4th December 2014
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Here's a quick teardown or the RW. Sadly there are no trimpots inside
What's with those three piezos? Something to do with the pads?
Old 4th December 2014
Lives for gear

Maybe check at the bottom here for a how-to

https://c.getsatisfaction.com/akai_p...pic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][page]=2#topic-reply-list
Old 5th December 2014
Gear Addict

Wasn't akai acquired in a fire sale along with alesis by numark....they are just using the name and rep to fire off some cheap Chinese made units....buyer beware....this is not the old akai.
Old 5th December 2014
Lives for gear

They were acquired by this lot..... inMusic - Home of the world’s premier music industry brands

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search