The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 31st October 2014
Gear Addict

played on one last week - sounded horrid to my ears. Personally think the volca is actually nicer. In this price range, clearly the mfb 522 is the best choice or obviously tr-8. the bass drum was ok, but the decay on the snare didn't seem to affect the noise decay accurately (from my ears). product looks nice, but that was about all I liked.
Old 31st October 2014
Gear Addict

played on one last week - sounded horrid to my ears. Personally think the volca is actually nicer. In this price range, clearly the mfb 522 is the best choice or obviously tr-8. the bass drum was ok, but the decay on the snare didn't seem to affect the noise decay accurately (from my ears). product looks nice, but that was about all I liked.
Old 31st October 2014
Gear Guru

Maybe there is only 6 in tune, and those 6 come with a gold ticket, those that find the golden tickets get to go to...oh nevermind...
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Maybe there is only 6 in tune, and those 6 come with a gold ticket, those that find the golden tickets get to go to...oh nevermind...
Old 31st October 2014
Gear Addict

The scaling issue is a huge oversight and bummer.
Old 31st October 2014
Gear Addict

I'm still keeping the faith that there is some kind of internal trimpot to adjust this.
Old 31st October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcumber View Post
I'm still keeping the faith that there is some kind of internal trimpot to adjust this.
Which by accessing would technically void your warranty. Not cool, Akai. Not cool.
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
Appears there's some reports of note tuning and scaling issues.

Anyone got theirs and care to confirm/comment please?

bass bynth scaling/ tuning issues

It's amazing. Finally, true analog tuning!
Gonna buy one and sound out of tune like BoC!
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

C'mon, it's a Rhythm Wolf, not a Pitch Wolf!

Actually this is astonishingly pathetic.
Old 31st October 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
maybe digital is the way to go after all. are there plans for a digital wolf?
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

LOL, they decided to chase the 'cheap analog' trend, and what do they get for their trouble? People asking about a cheap digital version instead!
Old 31st October 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
LOL, they decided to chase the 'cheap analog' trend, and what do they get for their trouble? People asking about a cheap digital version instead!
Classic.
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 2ecf148 View Post
maybe digital is the way to go after all. are there plans for a digital wolf?
The Stepford Wolf.
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

Wait. Isn't the bass synth in that thing the digital part of it?
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Wait. Isn't the bass synth in that thing the digital part of it?
No, it's anal, even more so than expected.

If something's digital it would be the sequencer.
Old 1st November 2014
I grabbed a Rhythm Wolf yesterday for a really nice price but I'm contemplating returning it because the scale is way out of whack on the bass synth. I doubt it can be fixed with software, I'm wondering if anyone has opened it up to see if there's a scale trimmer inside. Akai has been silent on the issue, but they've only recently acknowledged the issue.

If I tune C down to B it scales OK but not perfect. Plus I can only get down to just a few cents above B so the pitch isn't perfect. It's really unusable in it's current state, though it can sequence external gear.
Old 1st November 2014
I grabbed a Rhythm Wolf yesterday for a really nice price but I'm contemplating returning it because the scale is way out of whack on the bass synth. I doubt it can be fixed with software, I'm wondering if anyone has opened it up to see if there's a scale trimmer inside. Akai has been silent on the issue, but they've only recently acknowledged the issue.

If I tune C down to B it scales OK but not perfect. Plus I can only get down to just a few cents above B so the pitch isn't perfect. It's really unusable in it's current state, though it can sequence external gear.
Old 1st November 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Here's a quick teardown or the RW. Sadly there are no trimpots inside
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Still think I will buy one and make off-key tunes with it, don't care.
Old 1st November 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita View Post
Still think I will buy one and make off-key tunes with it, don't care.
Don't think it would stop my friend MAGAS
Old 1st November 2014
[QUOTE=vstace;10523596]Here's a quick teardown or the RW. Sadly there are no trimpots inside /QUOTE]

That's a shame. I can't see accurately doing it with firmware, unless they add the ability to adjust it with a hidden funciton (i.e. SHIFT+TUNE or something like that.) You would think it would need to be calibrated on each unit.

Oh well, it's still a pretty good value as a drum machine, guess I'll have to decide if I can live with a non-functional bass synth. It's too bad, it actually sounds better than I expected especially running through the Dark Reverb on my Octatrack.
Old 1st November 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
recession techno is here!
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Otter Tune expansion just ahead.
Old 1st November 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
followed by the akai turkey
Old 1st November 2014
Gear Guru

and the Roland Mariachi Machine with a free worm in the beans

Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Akai has invented its own interval system. Embrace.
Old 1st November 2014
Gear Addict

It's so stupid, it's brilliant.

also "Recession Techno" LOL I am going to start using that phrase.
Old 3rd November 2014
Gear Maniac

I tried one on saturday at a friends house. It sounded LOVELY and ANALOGUE, BUT, these things stood out:

1: TUNE on HH does NOTHING. Absolutely no change in HH pitch when turning the knob. Why has no-one noticed? WTF?
2: Decay on SN noise seems to have a crazy control law - past 9 'o'clock the noise gets very long very quickly. The Tom part of the snare doesn't seem to change decay with it either.
3: BD has a slight pitch UP in its decay! e.g. add Howl until the BD sounds like a note, then notice the pitch goes up during the decay. BD is nice but has little top - needs a touch of Howl to 'tick', but too much Howl and it just turns into DnB bass sounds.
4: Synth doesn't even attempt to be in tune/scale right. Which is a shame as it sounds excellent through a guitar distortion and the accent response, env mod are very pleasing to my ears. Like a really crude 303. We ran it against a TT-303 and while it lacked 'Mwahh' and finesse it sounded bloody powerful distorted, really analogue!

I'm willing to bet the entire first batch will have these faults.
It just begs the questions - who the hell at AKAI does quality control? How can you release a synth (regardless of price) in 2014/15 that won't scale an octave properly? How can you release a box where one knob does absolutely nothing (HH Tune)? WTF?

When you design a synth voice, tuning/scaling seem to me to be fundamental. Perhaps there has been a manufacturing issue as suspected with the volca beats SN. Perhaps.

On the plus side, maybe they will sort it out with a firmware revision. There must be some kind of DAC controlling things if there are no trimpots inside. My worry is that Akai are going to play the 'It's analogue, it's supposed to be out of tune!' card to cover their behinds.

Just so many WTF moments when turning the knobs. I wish they had used some normal sized components on the board too no-one will be able to hack it about. Sounds nice though.
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass View Post
I'm willing to bet the entire first batch will have these faults.
It just begs the questions - who the hell at AKAI does quality control? How can you release a synth (regardless of price) in 2014/15 that won't scale an octave properly? How can you release a box where one knob does absolutely nothing (HH Tune)? WTF?
They don't really care about that as long as they can keep releasing new products to hype based on the legacy of the Akai brand name and make a quick buck, rinse, repeat.

In this interview, an Alesis product manager talks about how all the inMusic companies (Akai/Alesis/Numark/M-Audio...etc) are now run after being taken over by Numark's Jack O'Donnell who has a reputation as an "unscrupulous bastard" about how he keeps a very small and lean team of developers at each company who are under direct control at the whim of his command and "runs his group of companies like they're startups" and that they're "very agile and very quick to change directions": Episode #04 – Dan Radin Of Alesis - Touch Sound - Technology Audio podcast episode - podcastdirectory.com - EPISODE

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search