The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 26th October 2014
  #2521
Lives for gear
 
namnibor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
the more I hear this thing, the more it just sounds broken and wrong, and not in a good way. for some reason I'm still curious about it, though.
Kind of like the ugly puppy that makes one feel sorry for it and take it home and it craps all over the place all the time. The RW definitely sounds "broken...not in a good way" to my ears as well. So does the Roland TB-new stuff. The electron stuff has their way wacky non-intuitive interface...would rather not lose my sanity. Thinking about the Tempest again.
Old 26th October 2014
  #2522
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Quick jam with the modded Monotribe and the RW. All live, no edits.
Highlighting the tie function and high resonance of the RW synth.
Nice, that truly sounds 'old school', like some demo from the early 90ies, rough and unpolished, basically what I hoped it would do.

From the start, I didn't dare hope it would sound like a 'great' drum machine @ 200 dollars.
Old 26th October 2014
  #2523
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I think it will find it's place with producers who are very creative, can spend the time carefully tweaking it, and understand what type of synths will bring out the best in the wolfs limitations, like it will probably sound really nice mixed in with vintage moogs, prophets n oberheims etc, but it might stick out like a sore thumb and sound crappy if used with VST plug ins or digital synths...
Old 27th October 2014
  #2524
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Quick jam with the modded Monotribe and the RW. All live, no edits.
Highlighting the tie function and high resonance of the RW synth.
Track not available?
Old 27th October 2014
  #2525
Lives for gear
 
natefrogg's Avatar
 

a friend brought his to our techno bbq on saturday night, i really like the toms on it
Old 27th October 2014
  #2526
mfx
Lives for gear
 
mfx's Avatar
 

Waiting for mine to be delivered.

Appears there's some reports of note tuning and scaling issues.

Anyone got theirs and care to confirm/comment please?

bass bynth scaling/ tuning issues



Not buying it for a quality DM, more for the gritty ugly duckling it is...but if it's quacking out of key then it's not deep fried crispy duck, just bombay duck!!!?
Old 27th October 2014
  #2527
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Lol, that was a pretty sly putdown from natefrogg.
Old 27th October 2014
  #2528
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
Waiting for mine to be delivered.

Appears there's some reports of note tuning and scaling issues...
Yea, it's from this thread
Old 28th October 2014
  #2529
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Yea, it's from this thread
lol...
Old 28th October 2014
  #2530
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Quick jam with the modded Monotribe and the RW. All live, no edits.
Highlighting the tie function and high resonance of the RW synth.
I think that sounds bloody fantastic!!!

Edit: I advice anyone who wants pure electro euphoria in their ears to have a listen to that soundcloud page https://soundcloud.com/kvnhntn (that's you, vstace?). So beautiful!!!! Bace File 1, Pilot 1 and D97 so far and they're fantastic!!
Old 28th October 2014
  #2531
VST
Lives for gear
 
VST's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepydog View Post
I think that sounds bloody fantastic!!!

Edit: I advice anyone who wants pure electro euphoria in their ears to have a listen to that soundcloud page https://soundcloud.com/kvnhntn (that's you, vstace?). So beautiful!!!! Bace File 1, Pilot 1 and D97 so far and they're fantastic!!
Thanks man!, and thanks to all that shared a kind word on that RW jam.

I'm still not sure if the RW is more jackin' or jacked but you can only complain for a short time due to the price.
Old 28th October 2014
  #2532
mfx
Lives for gear
 
mfx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
lol...
funny...picked the post up on another forum beyond GS and scowering through the last 5 pages its seems a lot of happy users.
So is there an issue or not?
Is it simply a tuning calibration adjustment that some users are missing, or amanufacturer problem?
Old 28th October 2014
  #2533
VST
Lives for gear
 
VST's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
funny...picked the post up on another forum beyond GS and scowering through the last 5 pages its seems a lot of happy users.
So is there an issue or not?
Is it simply a tuning calibration adjustment that some users are missing, or amanufacturer problem?
I made the tuning vid, so yes there is definitely a scaling issue with mine at least although I could also hear scaling issues on most of the demos online, even the official Akai vids.

It's really easy to test. Get a tuner app, move the RW tune knob to get a C on the tunner, go up of down an octave and post how flat or sharp it is. My intention was for other people to test theirs as well.

I'll probably open it up this weekend and take some video as I look for a trimpot and modding points. Although I'm not holding my breath about the trimpot.
Old 28th October 2014
  #2534
Gear Addict
 

be very wary buying numark products

Old 28th October 2014
  #2535
Gear Guru
Hahaha ... That was great!
Old 28th October 2014
  #2536
mfx
Lives for gear
 
mfx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
I made the tuning vid, so yes there is definitely a scaling issue with mine at least although I could also hear scaling issues on most of the demos online, even the official Akai vids.

It's really easy to test. Get a tuner app, move the RW tune knob to get a C on the tunner, go up of down an octave and post how flat or sharp it is. My intention was for other people to test theirs as well.

I'll probably open it up this weekend and take some video as I look for a trimpot and modding points. Although I'm not holding my breath about the trimpot.
Thanks for the video, it's an eye opener and certainly got me split whether to confirm the order or not.

Appears over on the official akai forum similar reports.

What I am bemused by is all the positive post in this thread of people not acknowledging the issue, unless their units are fine or has gone unnoticed?

Do you think it's something that's fixable by a firmware update or is this analogue drift with the unit having no fine tuning calibration?

Save duplication my post on the Akai forum, thoughts and experience appreciated

Quote:
Contacted the retailer today, put the order on hold for the time being, for obvious reasons. Whilst I appreciate the units analogue and tuning will/may suffer from drift. The fact that their is no apparent manual adjustment on the tuning appears to be overlooked by the R&D team with this. Maybe I am wrong, so waiting for a solution or confirmation that this can be user resolved (ie firmware update). I am aware on Gearslutz, someone is looking into opening one up for a fix and if that's the only resolution it's worrying for both consumers and no doubt (hopefully) Akai.
Really want to get the unit in my hands, however I see no point in purchasing an instrument that is out of tune!
Rhythm Wolf bass bynth scaling/ tuning issues

So is the Akai solution in regards to drift actually what people are missing or is this going to have little or no impact once scaling come into play?

An apparent response from Akai:

Quote:
"Have you adjusted the tuning knob to set the pitch on the Bass Synth? Analog Oscillators can drift too depending on voltage input, temperature, and even humidity."

The oscillator isn't drifting. It just wasn't properly tuned or scaled. It's a shame that the bass synth is only useful to sequence other midi gear.
Old 28th October 2014
  #2537
Personally, I wouldn't buy that thing for synth anyway. While it's nice to have a little tune you can jam with, I've not heard/seen any video that made me very interested in the synth sound at all. If you've got other synths, just use the drums and call it a day. Might still be worth it to you for the price.
Old 28th October 2014
  #2538
mfx
Lives for gear
 
mfx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsVsChildren View Post
Personally, I wouldn't buy that thing for synth anyway. While it's nice to have a little tune you can jam with, I've not heard/seen any video that made me very interested in the synth sound at all. If you've got other synths, just use the drums and call it a day. Might still be worth it to you for the price.
Yep there's some good sound (pun) logic in this, however I was looking forwad to the bass synth as a compliment to existing kit
Old 28th October 2014
  #2539
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

'New' AKAI are setting themselves up for an even worse reputation if they don't care if it's working or not. A bass that can't be tuned is a faulty product imo.

But the reality is that AKAI are probably counting on people not going to bother with returning it, considering the price, which is probably a realistic scenario. But if I had saved up all my money delivering papers and unknowingly bought a bass that couldn't be tuned, I'd be mightily displeased.
Old 29th October 2014
  #2540
I bought a Rhythm Wolf a few days ago. I thought the bass seemed a bit flat initially but, when I tried playing another instrument alongside it, I found that the C1 was three semitones out. Unfortunately the discrepancy isn't to scale, so other notes are not all out by the same amount. A bass riff programmed on the RW is not something that will work in a larger arrangement of other instruments. I have tried adjusting the tuning, though that ought not to be necessary, but it doesn't make the notes scale properly. This issue arises during use at normal room temperature and regardless of how long the unit has been switched on.
Old 29th October 2014
  #2541
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comradec View Post
I bought a Rhythm Wolf a few days ago. I thought the bass seemed a bit flat initially but, when I tried playing another instrument alongside it, I found that the C1 was three semitones out. Unfortunately the discrepancy isn't to scale, so other notes are not all out by the same amount. A bass riff programmed on the RW is not something that will work in a larger arrangement of other instruments. I have tried adjusting the tuning, though that ought not to be necessary, but it doesn't make the notes scale properly. This issue arises during use at normal room temperature and regardless of how long the unit has been switched on.
Thank you for this.
Old 29th October 2014
  #2542
VST
Lives for gear
 
VST's Avatar
Probably just needs to warn up a bit. Glad Akai makes the 'Rhythm Wolf - VCO Stabilizing, Dual Heat Lamp Table'
Old 29th October 2014
  #2543
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefrogg View Post
our techno bbq on saturday night
I wish I lived where you live...!
Old 29th October 2014
  #2544
Gear Addict
 
Aletheia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Probably just needs to warn up a bit. Glad Akai makes the 'Rhythm Wolf - VCO Stabilizing, Dual Heat Lamp Table'
I gave mine a scarf/mittens.
Old 29th October 2014
  #2545
Gear Maniac
 

It sounds like the drum circuit designer ignored all the clever designs that made the classic Roland x0x drum machines sound so much better than earlier analog drum machines. Of course, those Roland circuits are more complicated to design and produce.
Old 29th October 2014
  #2546
Lives for gear
 

Maybe they're only in tune when they're in heat.
What's the Wolf's mating season?
Old 29th October 2014
  #2547
Lives for gear
 
Diametro's Avatar
 




EDIT: I should have referenced something "once in a blue moon" if I wanted to be cheekier and make more sense ... I must have had LR on the brain for some reason ... )
Old 29th October 2014
  #2548
Haha, some funny comments here.

"I live at the equator so my Wolf stays in tune.. somewhat.. most of the time."
Old 29th October 2014
  #2549
Haha, some funny comments here.

"I live at the equator so my Wolf stays in tune.. somewhat.. most of the time."
Old 31st October 2014
  #2550
Here for the gear
 

Dammn

Well I was going to get a Rhythmn wolf due to my long love of aka products, after what I've read here though I probably won't. Im now looking at other solutions wether to grab a Korg Volca bass and drums, or maybe a Roland Aira system.... Not sure maybe even just stick to the comfortable world of MPC's and Machines.. but thats no fun

Anyone have any thoughts on alternatives...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump