The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtownrock View Post
well done!
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear
tell me it is not THAT bad after all.
can it do long ass bass drums?
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita View Post
I would like to see a comparison of them too. I love my Monotribe as well.

Another Monotribe fan here! Easily one of the best synth/drum boxes of the last 10 years imo. Would also like to see a head to head, tho the Wolf could never come close to the synth ability of the 'Tribe.
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.G View Post
To me, the Wolf sounds a ton better than the Volcas, in this video. However, I won't buy anything from the O'Donnell companies, no matter how good it might sound.
Old 17th October 2014
Gear Addict

Mine arrived while I was on my lunch hour. Took it out messed with it for a few minutes.
First very preliminary impressions...
-built much better than I thought (thing actually has some heft to it)
-Very cool sounding
-HOWL really adds a lot of distortion
-From the 5 minutes I got to try it out, I actually was surprised I liked it so quick. Hopefully mine doesn't die tonight.

I will post more detailed review once i've had bit more time with it
Old 18th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post

Another Monotribe fan here! Easily one of the best synth/drum boxes of the last 10 years imo. Would also like to see a head to head, tho the Wolf could never come close to the synth ability of the 'Tribe.
Never played or heard one live so only going by you tube vids. The synth part sounds ok but the drums never seem up to it. Interested in the wolf as the kick can do Long low tails. Can Monotribe do those?
Old 18th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cintronic View Post
Can Monotribe do those?
Not without modding it, no.

Stock, the drums are just kind of there but I'll say this, the tribe is the most instantly accessability and immediate fun I've ever had with a synth. You just gotta try it.
Old 18th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cintronic View Post
Never played or heard one live so only going by you tube vids. The synth part sounds ok but the drums never seem up to it. Interested in the wolf as the kick can do Long low tails. Can Monotribe do those?
Drums are the weakest part of the Monotribe. You can have it easily modded for individual drum outs, which you then run into FX for a great result. Premodded ones can be found here and there. But the synth sound is its "killer app".

GOD I wish Korg would get off of their collective asses and finally evolve the Monotribe to truly take advantage of the fantastic sounds they are capable of...
Old 18th October 2014
Gear Guru

more wolf demos please...
Old 18th October 2014
My demo is up.

Old 18th October 2014
Lives for gear

Best vid yet

Really unfortunate you got such a cursed unit thought.
Old 18th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
My demo is up.

This was great, renewed the faith a bit.
Old 19th October 2014
Gear Guru
The snare and percussion are nice!

Wanna here more hihat variety if possible
Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
My demo is up.

Real nice! The sounds definitely work well together in the mix. Very surprised by that after the initial demos.
Old 19th October 2014
Gear Guru

Nice demo Draven...what film editor did you use for the video can I ask..?
Old 19th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Nice demo Draven...what film editor did you use for the video can I ask..?
Thanks man! I use Final Cut Pro.
Old 19th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
My demo is up.

Nice video, best one I've seen. I'm not really interested in the wolf - just following this thread because I like a good train wreck
It got a little long for me but I really enjoyed when adjusting the kick drum decay and the crunchy snare and percussion from 4:20 - 5:00. They should have axed the half-assed synth thing and added another drum voice or two.
Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
My demo is up.
Good work!
It seems to me that musical abilities are required to master the Rhythm Wolf.

I think Akai should make plans for a Rhythm Wolf II: Double price (349,- would be perfect imho), more controls, some attractive extras and much better instruments.
Old 19th October 2014
Gear Maniac

how's the midi out working? does it send the three different levels of velocity?
Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looping Loddar View Post

I think Akai should make plans for a Rhythm Wolf II: Double price (349,- would be perfect imho), more controls, some attractive extras and much better instruments.
They should have just done that in the first place, lol.
Old 19th October 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paega View Post
They should have just done that in the first place, lol.
disagree.. it's a great price point.
Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
disagree.. it's a great price point.
It would be...but it doesn't seem they've been able to deliver a reliable product. If they sort out the issues, I'd be more likely to agree.

For me personally, if it was overall a better product sound and feature wise (subjective) at 350 I'd be way more interested than what they have delivered at 200. That's a matter of opinion and taste though : )
Old 19th October 2014
Gear Guru
True .. all depends on quality control at this point to make $200 a good price.
Old 19th October 2014
Gear Addict

It seems a little early to say they're not able to deliver a reliable product. These are just starting to get into people's hands. The amount of handwringing that has gone on over the last year is amazing.
Old 19th October 2014
Gear Guru

One thing I will say, it has a very "analogy" sound...it just reeks of old skool analog drum sounds...reminds me of minipops for some reason.
Old 20th October 2014
Gear Nut

I was slightly disappointed after my first half an hour or so messing about with it (especially after reading some of the problems people are having), but draven5's video and this one saved my wolf's life.

I know a lot of people are liking the hi hats. I'm having trouble getting the open and closed to sound different from each other. Kinda lame design for the hat section. Is it possible to improve the controls via firmware?
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefunk View Post
I'm having trouble getting the open and closed to sound different from each other. Kinda lame design for the hat section. Is it possible to improve the controls via firmware?
Doubt it as it seems to be a limitation of its simple architecture having been designed to cut corners.
Old 20th October 2014
I think you just shave the "s" off of "hats" ( plural) and there you have it.
Old 20th October 2014
As people are replying to my video on YouTube and Reddit (someone else kindly posted my video on Reddit) you'll see that the tuning issue is being noticed in the comments.
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

anyone opened one up yet?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search