The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear

It sounds like the drums on early 80s goth and post-punk music, like March Violets or Tones on Tail... this is not terrible
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
But after the MPX16 being glitchy as F*** if this is too. Akai is about to get a quite angry email.
What was glitchy about MPX16? Was sample loading on it from the card as atrociously slow as on the MPX8?
Old 16th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Really hope this gets fixed mate. You don't have the drum voices muted or something dumb like that I take it?

When mine gets here i'll have to run it through it's paces. But after the MPX16 being glitchy as F*** if this is too. Akai is about to get a quite angry email.
Ok so my Wolf main output started working again. I took a 1/4 jack and slowly put it in (like when you have a problem with vintage synths and their outputs becoming faulty) So I finally got audio but it's crackly when I barley touch the Wolf sometimes. If I click the waveshape dipswitch it will go silent for a split second probably because the cable is slightly moving.

Anyway it says in the manual that by design they made the main outputs for everything but when you use the synth output in tandem with the main output the drums only play out. I would assume that there is some faulty design internally in this that is already failing on my unit.

In fact this is a problem I would expect on a vintage synth but new??? Damn.

Reminds me of the Alesis Ion faulty output problem. Wonder if it's a ticking timebomb then if I were to have it replaced with another unit?

--------------> Uh wait. (I had my Wolf was playing as I typed this.) Without even touching it the audio went silent again. Yeah I'm going to have to send this back. I don't think it's a software issue.

CONCLUSION

Calling Sweetwater tomorrow and going to start the return process. Maybe you other guys will have better luck.

I don't think I'll ask for a replacement. Not sure I want to take my chances no matter how cheap it is.
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Ok so my Wolf main output started working again. I took a 1/4 jack and slowly put it in
It's got to be a bad jack, either it's using a switched jack, but the switch connection is not good because they're using **** jacks, or just a bad connection.
Old 16th October 2014
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Guru

Don't think I'll be buying one, can't see the point...
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear

Even with the horrendous QC it doesn't groove right in every single demo I have heard, so pass.
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtownrock View Post
if you made this, well done
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
See, that is how a demo should look and sound.
Old 16th October 2014
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coven View Post
What was glitchy about MPX16? Was sample loading on it from the card as atrociously slow as on the MPX8?
It was really slow. It had some really odd bugs and design decisions and to date no firmware....

Not to say they won't fix it all. I think Akai cares it just takes them a while to get updates out.
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
This actually makes it look quite usable in a production! Even after reading the criticisms.
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth-image_7101.jpg  
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Guru

it is starting to look pretty bad, isn't it
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear

@gremlin moon....
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear

I guess this is why korg is delaying the ARP?

So they can iron out these sorts of kinks.

This wolf thing has all the hallmarks of a CEO telling his staff to just get the damn thing out the door so they can get some cash flow happening.

That's really disappointing as I was looking forward to this new box.
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.G View Post
Geat ad for the Wolf. It sounds like you put a Volca Bass in a dirty gym sock and then played it. I am so over cheap, bargain basement gear.
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonythecat View Post
This wolf thing has all the hallmarks of a CEO telling his staff to just get the damn thing out the door so they can get some cash flow happening.
I heard an interview with an Alesis employee after they got taken over and he explained that's exactly how Akai/Alesis/Numark/M-Audio...etc operate now. Jack O'Donnell, the CEO, keeps a small and lean team of developers at each company who are under direct control at the whim of his command.

Roger Linn's interview from a couple of years ago also sheds some more light on this CEO:
"Akai went out of business and the assets were purchase by Numark, headed up by a very unscrupulous fellow named Jack O’Donnell. Once he bought Akai, he immediately stopped my royalty payments, refused to take my calls and had his lawyer send me threatening letters. I checked around and learned that he has a reputation of being a real bastard, so given that challenging him would have been long and expensive, I let it go."

"From what I’ve seen, Akai seems to be making slight changes to my old 1986 designs for the original MPC, basically rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic."
BBOY TECH REPORT INTERVIEW: Roger Linn - BBOY TECH REPORT
Old 17th October 2014
Sorry guys. If any one cares the demo I was going to put up last night is taking a tiny bit longer. I have a full edit but need to add a few more bits of material. So going to attempt to film a few more passes with my faulty Wolf. (faulty main output) I can get audio some of the time. We'll see.

Also....another thing crapped out. Now my Hi-Hat PAD gets stuck. I assure you I am not applying a ton of pressure. Maybe it's just my unit but damn already two issues.

I called Sweetwater and I will be returning the unit. They are going to send it to Akai to have it fixed. (will take 2 weeks!) For now I'm going to keep it for about two days to do what I need then send it back. I'm debating weather to let them fix it (possibly they might just send me a new one) or I might decide to for my money back. Honestly I'm a bit crazy for not just returning it for good. I'm pretty concerned at this point it will break after a short while of owning if I were to get a second one.

If anyone gets theirs and eventually has issues please post in the thread.
Old 17th October 2014
Gear Addict

Honestly at this point I just wanna try one out....
Old 17th October 2014
It does sound like an old drum machine. I can see these ending up in the bargain basement. For <$100, it would have some use for modders or MIDI controller.
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Yikes. One gets what one pays for apparently. I'm sure if Akai gets enough returns it'll send the message?
Old 17th October 2014
Gear Guru
Does the bass synth section output on a separate midi channel?
Old 17th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Does the bass synth section output on a separate midi channel?
Haven't tried outputting yet, but the input receives the bass on channel 1 and the drums on channel 10, so it's possible.

One other thing that I have noticed is that the Noise Mix knob on the Percussion instrument adds a ton of noise to the overall output when you crank it up, even when that instrument is not playing. If you keep that knob down the overall output is actually not all that noisy. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

It's been three days now, and I have to say that I am liking the kick and snare more and more. They both have a 909-ish sound that the MFB-522 doesn't really do so well. It is making for a nice counterpart the the MFB.
Old 17th October 2014
A lot of comparison of this thing to the volca beats/bass combination. Haven't heard many people compare it to the Monotribe though. I'd like to see a head to head between those two.

I don't have a wolf myself. All I can do is base my opinion on videos and what is written here but it does not seem to be a very well made product. My Monotribe on the other hand sees daily use (it's my armchair, while commercials are on synth). I've even dropped it from high enough to leave a pretty nasty dent in the corner of my desk and it didn't skip a beat (ha.. I'm punny!)

Very comparable and a much better sounding bass synth (IMO) and the drums sound snappier too.
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Ouch, some of the posts here are really challenging my initial optimism

I'm sorry to hear about the buggy output jack, it sucks having to deal with the logistics, but I guess it has happened before, so as long as it isn't a pattern, I guess we can't conclude too much.

Do we know yet, if there's a trimmer inside to trim the scale of the bass synth? Not that I recommend voiding the warranty to find out, mind you.. Furthermore, it sounds pretty bad, actually.

It's rather disheartening to hear about current AKAI's business practices.
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear
I do *want* to like this thing. The hats were sounding cool to me, I think it would pair well with another drum machine as a sort of cheap oddball box. But the reports of things failing are a little discouraging.
Old 17th October 2014
Gear Addict

Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsVsChildren View Post
A lot of comparison of this thing to the volca beats/bass combination. Haven't heard many people compare it to the Monotribe though. I'd like to see a head to head between those two.

I don't have a wolf myself. All I can do is base my opinion on videos and what is written here but it does not seem to be a very well made product. My Monotribe on the other hand sees daily use (it's my armchair, while commercials are on synth). I've even dropped it from high enough to leave a pretty nasty dent in the corner of my desk and it didn't skip a beat (ha.. I'm punny!)

Very comparable and a much better sounding bass synth (IMO) and the drums sound snappier too.
I would like to see a comparison of them too. I love my Monotribe as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search