The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

Yikes!
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Ok wrapping it up for tonight and guess what. I seem to have a dead wolf.

For some reason my main output is no longer working. Only the synth output works.

All was working fine for hours and then at the end this happened. I need to figure out what's up.

I tried 3 different cables and 5 different inputs on my mixer and no dice. Main out, nothing can be heard. Triple checked to see if a sequence is playing and non blank and it is. Just no audio out now.
Really hope this gets fixed mate. You don't have the drum voices muted or something dumb like that I take it?

When mine gets here i'll have to run it through it's paces. But after the MPX16 being glitchy as F*** if this is too. Akai is about to get a quite angry email.
Old 15th October 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
N-track tuner might be part of the issue.

I downloaded a few other tuners and tested first on another synth I have. N-track has issues where some other tuner apps don't.

Also how are you checking tune? through the mic or through an actual input into your iphone?

Can you download a few other tuners and run another test?
It's not n-Track, I've been using it for years tuning guitars and my bass with the mic, without issue, It's a very well rated tuning app, plus you can simply hear how flat my wolf is.

Quote:

For some reason my main output is no longer working. Only the synth output works.

All was working fine for hours and then at the end this happened. I need to figure out what's up.

I tried 3 different cables and 5 different inputs on my mixer and no dice. Main out, nothing can be heard. Triple checked to see if a sequence is playing and non blank and it is. Just no audio out now.
That sucks man. Were you able to check it on a tuner before it died? If this is any indication of what to expect, someone's getting fired at Akai.
Old 15th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
It's not n-Track, I've been using it for years tuning guitars and my bass with the mic, without issue, It's a very well rated tuning app, plus you can simply hear how flat my wolf is.

That sucks man. Were you able to check it on a tuner before it died? If this is any indication of what to expect, someone's getting fired at Akai.
About to go to bed but yeah just got home and checked it again with yet another cable and different mixer, seems to be dead on the main output. I will have to see if there is some factory reset or something.
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Addict

Old 15th October 2014
Gear Nut

I'm sorry to hear about all these rhythm wolf issues. I am glad I did not end up impulse buying one, they would have probably ended up in heartbreak.
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Addict

I hope most of these problems can be fixed with firmware.....

For those who have them keep us all updated plz
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Rhythm Liam Neeson smiles at his fists.

(Sorry to hear that - its a real bummer when a new piece of gear has faults)
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

all of these issues with the Wolf seem to fly in the face of the prevailing logic that gets spread around here all the time, namely

A.)analog synths/drum machines are simple and cheap to make with SMT components
B.)analog synths/drum machines are simple to design and engineer
C.)analog synths/drum machines are simple and cheap to manufacture with great quality control
D.)Because A, B, & C are true why won't Roland build an analog drum machine or poly analog synth
E.)Because A, B, &C are true Korg can make a $499 poly synth out of Volca parts

my guess is A, B, & C are not true, so D & E can't be either

For the record I am looking forward to getting several of these, my guess is they will be deeply discounted very soon, and/or there will be TONS of them on Ebay 2nd hand for cheap, will be fun to crack open and bend/modify
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
all of these issues with the Wolf seem to fly in the face of the prevailing logic that gets spread around here all the time, namely

A.)analog synths/drum machines are simple and cheap to make with SMT components
B.)analog synths/drum machines are simple to design and engineer
C.)analog synths/drum machines are simple and cheap to manufacture with great quality control
D.)Because A, B, & C are true why won't Roland build an analog drum machine or poly analog synth
E.)Because A, B, &C are true Korg can make a $499 poly synth out of Volca parts

my guess is A, B, & C are not true, so D & E can't be either

For the record I am looking forward to getting several of these, my guess is they will be deeply discounted very soon, and/or there will be TONS of them on Ebay 2nd hand for cheap, will be fun to crack open and bend/modify
The mistake in your logic is that you are assuming Akai is representative of all makers of inexpensive analog gear. Korg and others have proven they can deliver while being inexpensive.

On topic, it sucks that some of you have gotten a bad wolf. There are always lemons in the first batch of any new product. This is why I rarely pre-order anything and almost always wait to see what the issue will be before putting down my cash. This is why I'll have my Sub37 sometime next year instead of now...even though the self imposed wait is killing me.

I'm sure they'll get it sorted at some point.
Old 15th October 2014
Ok guys.

Just woke and first thing tried out the Wolf to see if it's still dead on the outputs.

I heard some weird static (kind of like very low pink noise) then it just cut out. I turned the volume up all the way and very very faintly can hear a beat but so faint.

There is definitely something up with my unit. I'm going to read through the manual and look for a reset or any problem. Also I'll check if there is an update online already for firmware.

If that fails might just call Sweetwater or Akai. I would like to trouble shoot and find out if this can be fixed now while I still have a chance to return it if nothing works.

Good news is I did manage to shoot the demo last night but I will say I kind of struggled with it. There are some design choices that make the Wolf a little odd to work with and some things are a bit underwhelming. I can now see why the demos online lacked life. It was a bit of a struggle. Just my opinion.

Before we all jump to conclusions let me find out if I didn't do anything stupid like throw it into some weird mode. But I'm pretty sure I didn't. I read through the manual pretty good and checked pretty much everything.

I guess I have a Wolf just like the one they showed at NAMM, doesn't make a sound.

FYI it doesn't have wood sides, they are plastic to look like wood. Very cheap plastic not even trying to imitate wood texture.
Old 15th October 2014
Update:

So looked in manual, didn't see reset.

Looked online for a firmware update, none available yet.

Called Sweetwater, they were extremely helpful, they have put a notice to their tech dept and right away they are going to get in contact with Akai.

Will update with more news.

Just to recap, my audio main output stopped outputting audio. Only the synth outputs works.

If anyone else has this issue please update the thread, or if they have a fix.
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Update:

So looked in manual, didn't see reset.

Looked online for a firmware update, none available yet.

Called Sweetwater, they were extremely helpful, they have put a notice to their tech dept and right away they are going to get in contact with Akai.

Will update with more news.

Just to recap, my audio main output stopped outputting audio. Only the synth outputs works.

If anyone else has this issue please update the thread, or if they have a fix.
My guess is that a lot of the glitches or bugs will be eventually sorted out by a firmware update. Though it almost sounds to me like your unit is a lemon, as that seems to be a bigger problem than anyone else has thus far reported. Surely many that shipped work just fine, as there are plenty of demos where they do....

Anyway thanks for the updates, mine is gonna be arriving later this week. I really hope it all gets figured out man. Have you thought of sending Akai and email or calling them?
Old 15th October 2014
VST
Lives for gear

I predict these will all suck at being in tune and there will never be a firmware update, at least certainly not one that will address any tuning issues. Mine's going back. Good riddance.
Old 15th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
My guess is that a lot of the glitches or bugs will be eventually sorted out by a firmware update. Though it almost sounds to me like your unit is a lemon, as that seems to be a bigger problem than anyone else has thus far reported. Surely many that shipped work just fine, as there are plenty of demos where they do....

Anyway thanks for the updates, mine is gonna be arriving later this week. I really hope it all gets figured out man. Have you thought of sending Akai and email or calling them?
Yes but started with Sweetwater. Figured since I bought from them directly I would let them deal with Akai. Also Sweetwater seems to have really good customer service. If I don't hear from Sweetwater in a day I will try contacting Akai directly after.
Old 15th October 2014
Quote:
I predict these will all suck at being in tune and there will never be a firmware update, at least certainly not one that will address any tuning issues. Mine's going back. Good riddance.
Ooops! Sorry I need to test to see if it's in tune for you. Sorry I will try it as soon as I get this demo up. Busy getting the footage in right now.
Old 15th October 2014
Step sequencer? For real? Where?

Quote:
Hey man quick question.

1. I can see that you can enter step recording mode and just click the steps and then turn the dial for the note number.

2. and you can play real time while it is playing.

But............I don't see any real step sequencer mode. Meaning if I push a note in using the "step buttons for a keyboard" it doesn't advance one by one. You get what I am saying. Meaning a real step sequencer mode like the Volca has. Meaning if I put a note in, (not pushing play) it would in theory advance one step so I can add another note.

Is there a way to do this? I'm pretty sure they omitted this on the Wolf. Do you know of a way? I don't see the option in the manual either.

If this is not included then It is pretty much a pain in the ass to have to always either play notes into it while playing the machine live or just using the knob to put in a note while not playing.

Am I making sense??
Old 15th October 2014
Out of tune. Also lack of more notes by design

Quote:
Ok since I have only the synth output working I did test the tune on the synth.

I connected a midi controller to it. (by the way you only get 3 octaves available for note entering even if you have a 61 key keyboard. Same goes for note entering on the synth.)

Yes = Mine is really out of tune. Sounds pretty bad.

This is getting worse and worse.
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Addict

Well I don't know about you guys but here is how I plan to use the wolf.

Gonna create a special project which only uses the Rhythm Wolf

-Play out of tune bass lines....in my basement

-Make some analog drum beats to go with it...drunk on cheap wine

-Have my friend do vocals....by yelling over the sound of my amp

-Record live takes.....with a tape recorder

-Wear Wolf Mask

Call it experimental
Old 15th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Well I don't know about you guys but here is how I plan to use the wolf.

Gonna create a special project which only uses the Rhythm Wolf

-Play out of tune bass lines....in my basement

-Make some analog drum beats to go with it...drunk on cheap wine

-Have my friend do vocals....by yelling over the sound of my amp

-Record live takes.....with a tape recorder

-Wear Wolf Mask

Call it experimental
Get ready for my first impressions review reply. Coming up next.
Old 15th October 2014
Things that bugged me 1st impressions

This is all just my opinion. Please don't kill the messenger. Some of this is subjective. ------> Sorry Akai just being honest.

1) underwhelming synth sound. If they were going to make it sound this weak at least add a second osc to detune or some kind of LFO modulation. I've now realized why Korg originally put an LFO on their unit. To liven up the OSC. Well done Korg.

2) opening the filter all the way still makes it sound like it's 75 percent of the way closed. I have to turn up the "Howl" to get it to sound more open.

3) the Howl effects drums too. Why did they do this?

4) wall wart power supply

5) step keys don't feel good to play. Very hard and clicky.

6) operations with the shift key don't feel right. By design I don't feel that certain things you access with the shift key benefit the playability of the unit. Akai should have added more knobs or buttons or thought out the playability a bit better. Somehow Volca did this better. I have both so I can give somewhat of an accurate opinion. Didn't these guys endorsing test the unit and give them feedback???????

7) No LFO modulation. As noted above since the synth is weak it needs something. Not even CV can't help you on this one.

8) CV is for gate only.

9) there is not copy from pattern A to B internally. AT ALL!!!

10) if you start creating on a slot you have to save to the same slot. Work around is to copy from one slot to the next then save. Brings up another odd behavior though....see next.... point...

11) you can edit all 16 patterns and it will keep them in memory till you shut it off. May sound cool but it's not. It turns out to be more confusing. Meaning if you start tweaking pattern 1 then go to 2 when you click back on one the settings are still there. But what if you didn't like what you did on one?????? Well you have to shut the unit off and on again. WTF???????

12) Playing the keyboard live is extremely limiting and awkward. And I thought the volca playing live to the unit was bad. If you want to play over a previous note you will hear the note that was entered before and they step over each other. Something I hated in the Volca.

13) Only 3 octaves available to note enter for the synth. Even with an external midi controller. Would like to add some high notes every so often. I know this is a bass synth but why not.

14) When you go into pattern select after you select a pattern it stays lit in pattern select mode. Problem is (speaking for myself) because of so many "shift options" when playing live your brain won't catch this many times. They should make it shut off after you select a pattern so you can start tweaking the pattern. That's what my brain wants to do. Problem is I will try to tweak after I selected the pattern and I accidentally start to select another pattern.

15) Akai made a main out and a synth out. When you plug in both you get a synth output on the synth out and drums only on the main output. Sounds cool but it's really not. Why? because mine doesn't work anymore on the main out. Wonder if that design lead to some weird issue. Or if it's my stupidity of pressing something I shouldn't have. (To be continued)

16) not real step sequencer mode. Meaning enter a note and it advances one note ahead. Only able to click a step and turn dial for a note or play in real time.

17) no CLEAR PART or NOTE only. It clears everything in your pattern. WTF????? Seriously???

18) Holding down FILL is awkward by design. You have to hold it down for pattern A until pattern A plays out then let go, or just press it and it will play a fill then switch to PATTERN B. Problem is sometimes you might let go early then have to sit through an unintentional play of pattern B. Should have just made a FILL A and B button separate then. Think live playing Akai.

19) Soloing and mute combination of buttons is awkward by design. It's easy to accidentally mute since they use similar shift key combinations. It's easy to accidentally hit a note or drum in since these combinations are similar too. They are too similar and close. Something is just off about it. Not that soloing is hard at all but when playing fast the fact you have to shift and Solo then just hold down the button to mute is a bad close combination. Playing live mistakes can be made.

20) Octave buttons don't change color so you don't know how low or high you are going. At least an orange to red would have been nice.

21) Hi-Hat (Open and Closed) share the same knobs. Stupid design.

22) Decay doesn't decay right. The knob is way sensitive up to 15 percent of the way up. After the sustain is just too long for a drum machine. What's the point of having so much knob twist wasted.

23) Sustain on the synth (decay) is hilariously long. Not needed for a drum machine.

24) Decay drops out abruptly. Yes it decays out but then it always drops as if there is no release at all. In fact there isn't a release on the envelope.

25) As noted by another member, there are tuning issues. Synth is out of tune. Not just by a little.

26) No decay on percussion.

I only had this for 1 night before it stopped working on the main outputs but this is what I can tell you from spending aprox 8 hours with it.

Maybe firmware will address some of this. Maybe I'm just crying Wolf.

If any of this is inaccurate please let me know. Or if you all experience or have an opinion that differs please share to make sure opinions so this is all balanced out if I have been too harsh.

I don't want to effect sales with inaccuracy online but then again if they did something that's crap people should save their money. So please share opinions when you guys get yours.

Have to plug this since I put in all this work and this thread will probably show in a google search in the future forever. Video demo coming later today.

Youtube Channel - Synthbug
synthbug.com
Soundcloud - Synthbug

Last edited by 227861; 15th October 2014 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: added more
Old 15th October 2014
A little late to this party but wow...

sounds like a real P.O.S.
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Guru

wolf in sheep's clothing...
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Addict

Many of those things seem fixable with a firmware update. Definitely some stupid or rather (overlooked) decisions on the design. This may be a piece of gear I hold on to for a while and hold out till the firmware. But if Akai doesn't fix anything. This will be the last akai product I purchase.
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear
Well the more I read (and hear) about this thing the more depressing it is. I really want to give this thing a fair shot, but the reports thus far aren't encouraging...
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear

How much are you getting paid for the beta testing?
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Guru
Oddly I want one ...
Old 16th October 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is all just my opinion. Please don't kill the messenger. Some of this is subjective. ------> Sorry Akai just being honest.

1) underwhelming synth sound. If they were going to make it sound this weak at least add a second osc to detune or some kind of LFO modulation. I've now realized why Korg originally put an LFO on their unit. To liven up the OSC. Well done Korg.

2) opening the filter all the way still makes it sound like it's 75 percent of the way closed. I have to turn up the "Howl" to get it to sound more open.

3) the Howl effects drums too. Why did they do this?

4) wall wart power supply

5) step keys don't feel good to play. Very hard and clicky.

6) operations with the shift key don't feel right. By design I don't feel that certain things you access with the shift key benefit the playability of the unit. Akai should have added more knobs or buttons or thought out the playability a bit better. Somehow Volca did this better. I have both so I can give somewhat of an accurate opinion. Didn't these guys endorsing test the unit and give them feedback???????

7) No LFO modulation. As noted above since the synth is weak it needs something. Not even CV can't help you on this one.

8) CV is for gate only.

9) there is not copy from pattern A to B internally. AT ALL!!!

10) if you start creating on a slot you have to save to the same slot. Work around is to copy from one slot to the next then save. Brings up another odd behavior though....see next.... point...

11) you can edit all 16 patterns and it will keep them in memory till you shut it off. May sound cool but it's not. It turns out to be more confusing. Meaning if you start tweaking pattern 1 then go to 2 when you click back on one the settings are still there. But what if you didn't like what you did on one?????? Well you have to shut the unit off and on again. WTF???????

12) Playing the keyboard live is extremely limiting and awkward. And I thought the volca playing live to the unit was bad. If you want to play over a previous note you will hear the note that was entered before and they step over each other. Something I hated in the Volca.

13) Only 3 octaves available to note enter for the synth. Even with an external midi controller. Would like to add some high notes every so often. I know this is a bass synth but why not.

14) When you go into pattern select after you select a pattern it stays lit in pattern select mode. Problem is (speaking for myself) because of so many "shift options" when playing live your brain won't catch this many times. They should make it shut off after you select a pattern so you can start tweaking the pattern. That's what my brain wants to do. Problem is I will try to tweak after I selected the pattern and I accidentally start to select another pattern.

15) Akai made a main out and a synth out. When you plug in both you get a synth output on the synth out and drums only on the main output. Sounds cool but it's really not. Why? because mine doesn't work anymore on the main out. Wonder if that design lead to some weird issue. Or if it's my stupidity of pressing something I shouldn't have. (To be continued)

16) not real step sequencer mode. Meaning enter a note and it advances one note ahead. Only able to click a step and turn dial for a note or play in real time.

17) no CLEAR PART or NOTE only. It clears everything in your pattern. WTF????? Seriously???

18) Holding down FILL is awkward by design. You have to hold it down for pattern A until pattern A plays out then let go, or just press it and it will play a fill then switch to PATTERN B. Problem is sometimes you might let go early then have to sit through an unintentional play of pattern B. Should have just made a FILL A and B button separate then. Think live playing Akai.

19) Soloing and mute combination of buttons is awkward by design. It's easy to accidentally mute since they use similar shift key combinations. It's easy to accidentally hit a note or drum in since these combinations are similar too. They are too similar and close. Something is just off about it. Not that soloing is hard at all but when playing fast the fact you have to shift and Solo then just hold down the button to mute is a bad close combination. Playing live mistakes can be made.

20) Octave buttons don't change color so you don't know how low or high you are going. At least an orange to red would have been nice.

21) Hi-Hat (Open and Closed) share the same knobs. Stupid design.

22) Decay doesn't decay right. The knob is way sensitive up to 15 percent of the way up. After the sustain is just too long for a drum machine. What's the point of having so much knob twist wasted.

23) Sustain on the synth (decay) is hilariously long. Not needed for a drum machine.

24) Decay drops out abruptly. Yes it decays out but then it always drops as if there is no release at all. In fact there isn't a release on the envelope.

25) As noted by another member, there are tuning issues. Synth is out of tune. Not just by a little.

26) No decay on percussion.

I only had this for 1 night before it stopped working on the main outputs but this is what I can tell you from spending aprox 8 hours with it.

Maybe firmware will address some of this. Maybe I'm just crying Wolf.

If any of this is inaccurate please let me know. Or if you all experience or have an opinion that differs please share to make sure opinions so this is all balanced out if I have been too harsh.

I don't want to effect sales with inaccuracy online but then again if they did something that's crap people should save their money. So please share opinions when you guys get yours.

Have to plug this since I put in all this work and this thread will probably show in a google search in the future forever. Video demo coming later today.

Youtube Channel - Synthbug
synthbug.com
Soundcloud - Synthbug
Pretty much sums up how I feel too draven although some of the issues(note entry, fill, a+b) I accepted at the price.
Staying in pattern select screws me up a lot. Yes the decay on the synth is laughably long. The almost great hi hat is ruined by the shared decay. And no clear part is plain dumb. Oh well, I feel better about getting a TR-8 now. Stick to digital Akai.
Old 16th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Oddly I want one ...
True Gearslutz

Against all odds. Ha
Old 16th October 2014
Quick snippet (preview) of the video I will be posting

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search