The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Guru

wow what a disaster...
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

I guess you could always autotune the bass. But yeah - that sucks!
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Head

From the few demos I heard it sounds okay to me.
I'll probably pick one up after xmas.
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Guru

I'll probably get one too
Old 13th October 2014
Can't wait till Tues to see if mine in is going to be in tune.
Old 14th October 2014
Here for the gear

Guys, I'm loving mine! Build quality is great and the pads and knobs feel solid. In person it's a little smaller and compact than it appears in vids, but looks really nice. In the past few days I haven't got too deep into programming, but I like the layout, and sounds I'm getting. Great swing on this unit no doubt! The fact that the voices are tunable by knob and not menu diving let me play it more like an instrument too. I haven't had any tuning issues either. #00077
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Guru
I'd like to hear the full range of hi-hats.

Sounds nice and trashy .. but a bit too low in pitch all the time.
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtownrock View Post
Guys, I'm loving mine! Build quality is great and the pads and knobs feel solid. In person it's a little smaller and compact than it appears in vids, but looks really nice. In the past few days I haven't got too deep into programming, but I like the layout, and sounds I'm getting. Great swing on this unit no doubt! The fact that the voices are tunable by knob and not menu diving let me play it more like an instrument too. I haven't had any tuning issues either. #00077
can't imagine it's too deep in that regard, surely you could visit every sound it can make in a couple of hrs..?
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Addict

So i'm curious. How exactly will the CV gate in work? I don't have any CV gear, I understand the basic concept but let's say I send it CV gate triggers from a what will it do? I guess my question is how does it differ from midi?
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Guru

come on, I know some of you have already these, where are all the demos...???
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
...The synth is really out of tune....
They obviously just didn't bother to calibrate it. It's analog so for sure there are tune and tracking trimmer inside.. I'm sure it's a cheap and cheerful analog oscillator but it should tune decent for one or two octaves once calibrated (not that it'll help much IMO - sound's lame anyways).
Old 15th October 2014
My wolf arrived. Will put up a demo later tonight.

If I can't get it to sound better than the Akai demos then I should just quit while I'm ahead. Ha
Old 15th October 2014
Just fired mine up about two hours ago. It's ok. The kick is very weak in comparison to the MFB-522, but still useable for certain things. The snare kicks ass though; way more useable than the MFB. It has a very hard and aggressive sound with the noise high and decay low. Setting the decay too high results in a noisy mess though. The percussion is a bit wonky, but I am sure that people will find a use for it in certain situations. It's a high pitch knob and low pitch knob that both resemble an electric tom sound, with a noise knob added in as well. You can combine the three knobs for different things, which is cool, but overall not a very classic or smooth tone. The hi-hats are definitely unique in sound. The only thing that I don't like is that the decay affects both the closed and open hat simultaneously, and you need to set it pretty high to get a long open hat, which unfortunately results in a long closed hat as well. I wish the ratio of that knob's effect was a bit steeper between the two sounds. There is an interseting reaction when you play them both at the same time though, like a strange accent to the closed hat. The bass synth is pretty meh. The filter is only 2-pole and not very special, and the decay is like a quick cutoff of the note rather than a more release-type fade out. The envelope amount makes it a bit acid-ish, but the cutoff just doesn't have a big enough effect with the envelope amount set real high. I'm not sure that it will get much use.

Overall, I love the snare, the kick and hi-hat may find use here and there, but the percussion and bass are relatively forgettable. The distortion is analog and adds a ton of noise, but I suppose a noise gate could make that interesting for distored drum loops or whatever. It doesn't really spice up the bass in a good way either; just makes it noisy and ugly. The sequencer is great due to the three levels of velocity that can be used, and I am sure that people will put that to very good use with live set-ups.

MIDI input reception is channel 1 for the bass and channel 10 for the drums, and they are velocity sensitive. I had it triggering from my DAW in seconds. I have not tried the MIDI out or Gate In/Out yet.

EDIT: I had my 75Hz hi-pass filter on the channel that I plugged in to when I first tested. The kick is not as weak as I had originally stated. It does have a decent bit of oomph, although still not as big as the MFB kick. I think they will make a nice one-two punch for some deep kicks in some electro-babble tracks.
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglebrah View Post
The only thing that I don't like is that the decay affects both the closed and open hat simultaneously, and you need to set it pretty high to get a long open hat, which unfortunately results in a long closed hat as well.
What a silly limitation. Not surprised though.
Old 15th October 2014
VST
Lives for gear

So here's a quick tuning test I did on mine. I hope others will to do the same and post how many cents off the octave is between C1 and C2. Just wondering if mine is out of range more than others. Mine is 38 cents flat at C2
Old 15th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
So here's a quick tuning test I did on mine. I hope others will to do the same and post how many cents off the octave is between C1 and C2. Just wondering if mine is out of range more than others.
Will do.

What app are you using?
Old 15th October 2014
If anyone has any questions or requests of info for my demo please let me know. I am opening the box shortly to start after dinner
Old 15th October 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Will do.

What app are you using?
n-Track tuner https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/n-tr...409786458?mt=8
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Guru

there's going to be a lot of out of tune demo's on youtube within a year...all those kids that don't know it's out of tune...deary me, can you imagine...lol
Old 15th October 2014
or.... "there's going to be a lot of 'out of tune' tunes on youtube within a year..."
Old 15th October 2014
n-track tuner's going to make a lot of money ha
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

Many of the old classic synths had problems staying in tune.
Akai should just market it as having "Vintage Character"
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Many of the old classic synths had problems staying in tune.
Akai should just market it as having "Vintage Character"
yes, it will save them chasing their tails, this will be a red faced nightmare for them, howling alright, howling in despair..
Old 15th October 2014
N-track tuner might be part of the issue.

I downloaded a few other tuners and tested first on another synth I have. N-track has issues where some other tuner apps don't.

Also how are you checking tune? through the mic or through an actual input into your iphone?

Can you download a few other tuners and run another test?
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

I might get this, despite what many are saying, I like how it sounds. I'm not expecting boutique sounds from a $200 drum and bass synth. Would be nice to have an acid box.
Old 15th October 2014
opened the box

all contents from the box

Attached Thumbnails
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth-wolfopenbox.jpg  
Old 15th October 2014
As I am working on this demo, the synth part has some problems. The envelope has to be turned up almost all the way to add some decay shaping.

The Decay is way to sensitive on the low end of the knob. Everything after a small bit of turning turns to a sustain mesh.

Really wish they made the synth a 2 osc synth because on first impression it is not special enough to be a cool bass synth like a 303 knockoff.

Will try to get the best sounds I can though with it. Those are just first impressions.
Old 15th October 2014
So......I'm reading through the manual and trying to save a pattern....and I don't see something.

I see how to save but it doesn't let you select a slot to save in. Meaning if you are using pattern 1 and start editing it and want to save to say slot 16 it won't give you that option. It only lets you save to the slot you're on. Is that so??? They can't be that stupid.
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Addict
Same as the TR8

Yo, saving to the destination you started in is how the first release of the Roland TR8 was. Think you can do non destructive editing in the software update but you still have to save in the place you started in.

But my point is, wouldnt surprise me if what you've stated above for the rhythm wolf is true.
Old 15th October 2014
Ok wrapping it up for tonight and guess what. I seem to have a dead wolf.

For some reason my main output is no longer working. Only the synth output works.

All was working fine for hours and then at the end this happened. I need to figure out what's up.

I tried 3 different cables and 5 different inputs on my mixer and no dice. Main out, nothing can be heard. Triple checked to see if a sequence is playing and non blank and it is. Just no audio out now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search